PDA

View Full Version : for all the grammar wenches

lady Amalthea
01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
]http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/funny-pictures-cat-hates-your-grammar.jpg (http://www.wench.org/forums/%3Ca%20href=)
see more Lolcats and funny pictures (http://icanhascheezburger.com/)">

Lady Sarah
01-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't it be "Thy foul grammar"?

Still, it's cute!

Ysobelle
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM

Still, it's cute!

Aw, man-- you beat me to it.

daBaroness
01-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Grammar geeks! LOL

Phoenix McHeit
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Glad I wasn't the first! *snicker*

Too cute! :snicker:

pngwnmama
01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
It's not so bad that we are all in agreement- first we giggled and awwwed, then we corrected the grammar.

Lady Anne
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Unless, of course, he is speaking TO the foul grammar...then wouldn't "thou" be correct? Sorry...had to ask!::jester::

Phoenix McHeit
01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I dunno 'bout you, but MY Grammer isn't foul. She's really rather sweet.

::runfore:::runfore:

Ravin' Raven
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM

::rimshot:

pngwnmama
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM

:groan:

daBaroness
01-30-2010, 01:45 PM
My grammers are both long gone. Alas, so are both of my grampers.

Vixynne Rose
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
*runs in to add her grammar-wench English teacher tuppence*

Technically, even if said kitteh was speaking to the grammar, the caption would need a tweak.

It would then (correctly) read:

"Shakespeare kitten dost not approve of thee, foul grammar!"
"Thee" being the direct object--receiving the action of the verb approve--and "thou" being the subject version of "you" (preceding the verb).

Or, to provide an example:

"Vixynne Rose, verily thou art a pompous bombast of a grammar wench! I bite my thumb at thee!"

:wink:

Lady Anne
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Technically, even if said kitteh was speaking to the grammar, the caption would need a tweak.

"Thee" being the direct object--receiving the action of the verb approve--and "thou" being the subject version of "you" (preceding the verb).

"Vixynne Rose, verily thou art a pompous bombast of a grammar wench! I bite my thumb at thee!"

:bow: I bow to thee, Great Queen of the Grammar Wenches. :snicker:

I love the English language...its just too bad that many people today haven't a clue what is correct. Sadly, most of them don't care.

One of the things that has been bugging me lately...when you hear someone on national news saying (phonetically) "Thuh earth" instead of "Thee earth" :roll: I was taught that if the word "the" was used before a word begining with a vowel, you pronounced it with a long "E" sound, not the short "E". Am I wrong..or have the rules been changed?

Nimue
02-05-2010, 09:43 PM

I "heart" thee.

Bean
02-05-2010, 09:46 PM
We don't speak English any more in this country.....

Gemdrite
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
:bow: I bow to thee, Great Queen of the Grammar Wenches. :snicker:

I love the English language...its just too bad that many people today haven't a clue what is correct. Sadly, most of them don't care.

One of the things that has been bugging me lately...when you hear someone on national news saying (phonetically) "Thuh earth" instead of "Thee earth" :roll: I was taught that if the word "the" was used before a word begining with a vowel, you pronounced it with a long "E" sound, not the short "E". Am I wrong..or have the rules been changed?
You are correct ma'am. Most people don't even know that rule anymore, sadly. Our nation has become quite lazy overall, and the English language is no exception.

Lady Anne
02-05-2010, 10:10 PM
We don't speak English any more in this country.....

Oh....you is sooo right! :wink:

Bronya
02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
When I was in grammer sxchool, we had to diagram sentences. It taught us what the different parts of the sentence were and how to use them. Do they still even do that?

Countess Mary
02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Diagramming is still one of the tricks I pull out when I am trying to teach sentence structure. Many of my students are non-native speakers of English, so diagramminng helps them see how everything is put together. Mine are college students and diagramming is still helpful.

I always loved it; I thought the diagram was like working out a puzzle.

Mary

Margaret
02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
My kiddo in 6th grade has never diagram a sentence in her school career.

Vixynne Rose
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
When I was in grammer sxchool, we had to diagram sentences. It taught us what the different parts of the sentence were and how to use them. Do they still even do that?

Not in my school (middle grades 6-8). We're too focused on passing the MCAS (the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System) test...the one that goes with No Child Left Behind. If we don't raise our scores to 100% of ALL students landing in the top two score categories by 2014, the school can be taken over by the state and the staff can be fired. Everyone's so focused on this one test each year that not much else is seen as vital (and diagramming sentences isn't on the test--if it were, we'd be using it left and right)!

I had to diagram sentences as a student...hated it and thought it was a total waste of time, but it really has helped me be a coherent writer/speaker!

Unfortunately, with the advent of state-mandated testing, a lot of things that were common sense "back in my day" are being tossed to the wayside. :roll:

Gemdrite
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I have to admit that I am one of a select few, I think, who is an English major who thought diagramming sentences was a waste of time. I hated doing it, I didn't learn from it, and it doesn't influence my writing now. But that could be due to the fact that I had great English teachers before I ever learned how to diagram a sentence, and I didn't need to know how to do it.

Phoenix McHeit
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
As my favorite author says (paraphrased) 'One does not need to know the parts of speech in order to be a good writer, any more than one needs to know the Latin terms for the muscles in order to be a good athlete.'

But also, one trains to become a good athlete. Just like one should train to be a good writer. Whether that be formal training or informal.

Ravin' Raven
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
As my favorite author says (paraphrased) 'One does not need to know the parts of speech in order to be a good writer, any more than one needs to know the Latin terms for the muscles in order to be a good athlete.'

But also, one trains to become a good athlete. Just like one should train to be a good writer. Whether that be formal training or informal.

girl crush....

:hearts::love:

but what else is new?