PDA

View Full Version : Sen-elect Brown supports choice

LissaRoisin
02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35169343/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

WASHINGTON - Republican Sen.-elect Scott Brown of Massachusetts says he opposes federal funding for abortions, but thinks women should have the right to choose whether to have one.
Brown tells ABC's "This Week" that he disagrees with his party's position that the Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion should be overturned.
Brown says the abortion question is one that's best handled by a woman, her family and her doctor. He also says more effort needs to go into reducing the number of abortions in the U.S.
Brown has said the GOP shouldn't take his vote for granted on every issue. He says he's fiscally conservative but more moderate on social issues.
Brown recently won the Senate seat long held by liberal Democrat Edward M. Kennedy, who died last summer.

BronxGirl
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
*sighs* I will believe this when I actually see him vote.

Lady Anne
02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
As with ANY politician...no matter what party or issue, actions speak louder than words. Take them all with a grain of salt....and a bottle of antacids.:unamused:

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
"Remember, a Massachusetts Republican is still basically a Gay Democrat anywhere else in the country." --Jon Stewart.

surlywench
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
"Remember, a Massachusetts Republican is still basically a Gay Democrat anywhere else in the country." --Jon Stewart.

win.

BronxGirl
02-02-2010, 12:02 AM

Our most important Jew

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
[Jon Stewart] Our most important Jew

That's right! Fuck Elie Wiesel! ::kooky::

Phoenix McHeit
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
How much do I love that the 'Google Ads' at the bottom now feature "Depeche Mode, Greatest Hits" :wink:

Lady Hefron
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I'm sure the voters in Massachusetts really appreciate that.

Ysobelle
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
That's right! Fuck Elie Wiesel! ::kooky::

Oh, do NOT tell me you don't know that reference. I WILL beat you with the halibut. Again.

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh, do NOT tell me you don't know that reference. I WILL beat you with the halibut. Again.

Huh? I do not know the reference of which you speak.

That was just the first jew of renown that came to mind.

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the voters in Massachusetts really appreciate that.

Ignoring for the moment that, you know, it was a fraking joke... why wouldn't they?

BronxGirl
02-02-2010, 08:45 PM

I love you so much!

Ysobelle
02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry! It was Family Guy, not South Park. And here's an horrific copy of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwWvniEod6M

Lady Hefron
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Ignoring for the moment that, you know, it was a fraking joke... why wouldn't they?

Because is was a mean spirited joke. Just because it is called a joke doesn't mean it's funny.

RichardMacHugely
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Because is was a mean spirited joke. Just because it is called a joke doesn't mean it's funny.

Maybe, but then a lot of humor comes with barbs. And anyway, the target of THAT particular joke was clearly NOT the allegedly Republican voters in the Bay State, but rather the Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachman/Tea Party crackpots in every other state who think that anyone who lives East of the Ohio and North of the Mason Dixon Line or holds political views to the left of Dick Cheney is some sort of elitist liberal pussy. .

I'm personally not worried about whether or not Dick Cheney's feelings are hurt by Jon Stewart's humor. But just in case they are, allow me to offer this consoling rap from the Flight of the Conchords. And just because I know how much Dick loves our friends from South of the Border, I'm linking to the version en Espanol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSl535FK1I&feature=related

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Because is was a mean spirited joke.

What was mean-spirited about it?

The way I read the joke, he's saying that Massachusetts is such a liberal state that even their Republicans are considered to be philosophically to the left of typical Republicans from the rest of the country.

So, what's mean-spirited about that and against whom?

Seriously, I'm not being rhetorical here. I honestly have no idea whatsoever where you're coming from on this.

Just because it is called a joke doesn't mean it's funny.

Well, just because it's mean-spirited doesn't mean that it's not funny.

But in any case, I'm still wondering what the mean-spirited part is.

Lady Hefron
02-03-2010, 08:35 PM
So, it's ok to make fun of Massachusetts, or is it ok to make fun of democrates, oh or republicans, or is it gays...or is it ok to make fun of all of them.

BTW, yes it does mean it isn't funny if it is mean spirited.

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
So, it's ok to make fun of Massachusetts, or is it ok to make fun of democrates, oh or republicans, or is it gays...or is it ok to make fun of all of them.

I took the time to deconstruct the joke as I understood it.

If you were to do the same, perhaps we can start to actually communicate.

Because right now, my best attempt at deciphering your post is resulting in you saying that you think calling someone from Massachusetts a liberal is making fun of them so badly that it is to the point of being mean-spirited.

And frankly, that makes no sense. Unless you're one of those people who thinks "liberal" is a pejorative term. In which case there's little chance of us ever understanding each other.

But seriously, tell me what you think that joke exactly meant and how it is insulting and to whom.

I'm genuinely open to hearing your side of the story; I just wish you would tell it.

BTW, yes it does mean it isn't funny if it is mean spirited.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that one. :)

Lady Hefron
02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I find any joke that uses sexual orientation to cast aspersions mean spirited. I also find any joke that makes fun of someone's political orientation mean spirited. Additionally jokes made at the expense of a geographic region are mean spirited.

I do not find the term liberal or conservative to be a pejorative in and of itself. Unfortunately they are usually used that way.

I just find it pathetically sad that politics in this country have degenerated to the level of nastiness that is indicated by such jokes.

If this is what passes for humor now I'll stick to old Bill Cosby records.

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I find any joke that uses sexual orientation to cast aspersions mean spirited. I also find any joke that makes fun of someone's political orientation mean spirited. Additionally jokes made at the expense of a geographic region are mean spirited.

That's all well and good.

Now if you could just please tell me how you feel that any of that applies to the joke in question.

Be specific.

By way of example, I resubmit my deconstruction:

The way I read the joke, he's saying that Massachusetts is such a liberal state that even their Republicans are considered to be philosophically to the left of typical Republicans from the rest of the country.

If you could provide something in a similar format, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Lady Hefron
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I have explained my feelings as clearly as I can. If you don't understand what I've posted than I don't see the point of further debate.

Ysobelle
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I have explained my feelings as clearly as I can. If you don't understand what I've posted than I don't see the point of further debate.

Except that you haven't.

You said the joke was offensive to gays, Democrats, liberals, and regions of the US. You've not explained how. It was a comparative political joke. It didn't cast aspersions on anyone. It wryly pointed out that politics are different in different areas of the country. And since everyone else seems to have gotten the joke and thought it funny, I'm really struggling to understand how you were offended.

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I have explained my feelings as clearly as I can.

Yes, I suppose that's the problem.

If you find a way to be clearer, I'll be here.

RichardMacHugely
02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Humor, like art, is very subjective. Arguing about whether or not a particular joke is funny is rather like arguing over your favorite color. It really is in the eye of the beholder. So as long as no one is trying to censor a particular form of humorous expression, I think this entire discussion is beside the point. But as a fat liberal gay rights supporter who was born in Quincy, I personally was not offended by the Massachusetts remarks, and indeed found them to be quite humorous.

Ravin' Raven
02-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Humor, like art, is very subjective. Arguing about whether or not a particular joke is funny is rather like arguing over your favorite color. It really is in the eye of the beholder. So as long as no one is trying to censor a particular form of humorous expression, I think this entire discussion is beside the point. But as a fat liberal gay rights supporter who was born in Quincy, I personally was not offended by the Massachusetts remarks, and indeed found them to be quite humorous.

I take exception to your self description. You are not fat. You are just lovely-right and huggable and built like a real man...and I'll miss hugging you...and doing kilt checks....

but Quincy...dude...really....I'm sorry....:toocool:

and since I've decided to weigh in...I too am confused by the confusion.

RichardMacHugely
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, I have lost about 30 lbs since Fling. . . .so I'm certainly somewhat less fat than I used to be.

Ysobelle
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Well, I have lost about 30 lbs since Fling. . . .so I'm certainly somewhat less fat than I used to be.

We shall, of course, be required to determine your specific huggability at your earliest convenience. Of course.

Cyranno DeBoberac
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Humor, like art, is very subjective. Arguing about whether or not a particular joke is funny is rather like arguing over your favorite color. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

Well yeah, but we're beyond the question of funny or not. It's been suggested that the joke is mean-spirited and makes fun of... well, something, I'm not sure what yet. I'm trying to find out why.

I don't think it's unreasonable to then ask that one actually articulate exactly who is being given offense and how.

The question was simple: "how it is insulting and to whom?"

The response was a bunch of handwaving and rhetoric.

Here's an example of a genuinely mean-spirited joke:

"I hear that guys in Kentucky like to go to family reunions to meet women."

And here's a simple explanation as to why one might consider the joke to be mean-spirited:

"The joke unfairly characterizes men from Kentucky as people who like to fuck their relatives."

That was easy, right? I didn't just say something vague about casting aspersions upon a region, I actually said what the aspersion was.

This isn't rocket science. And I've met actual rocket scientists, so I do have a basis for comparison.

Ravin' Raven
02-04-2010, 09:59 PM
This isn't rocket science. And I've met actual rocket scientists, so I do have a basis for comparison.

Our own dear Richaard could technically qualify as damn close to a rocket scientist...it's so hot when he whispers sweet nothings about quantum mechanics in your ear...well maybe not yours....

(and Richard my dear....rawr...the Hawk is on the 30 pound quest himself...)