PDA

View Full Version : Foreclosure problems

Lady Laurel
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Well I am divorced but not from my house. The ex took the house and has not paid one house note...... so it is now in foreclosure under both our names. Does anyone have any advice for me... I think I may have to file bankruptcy so they will not come after me and garnish my wages... I had such good credit but now its gone.

surlywench
02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Well I am divorced but not from my house. The ex took the house and has not paid one house note...... so it is now in foreclosure under both our names. Does anyone have any advice for me... I think I may have to file bankruptcy so they will not come after me and garnish my wages... I had such good credit but now its gone.

Was the house specifically made his as part of the divorce decree? You need to contact your lawyer asap and see what needs to happen.

Conall Crow
02-05-2010, 04:00 AM
If he was given the house in the divorce, then he should be the only one being hurt from the foreclosure. As others have said, contact your lawyer about this. I would also get all paperwork you have that shows you are no longer responsible for the house and contact the finance company to discuss that only your ex is at fault for the house.

Thistle
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Not only the finance company and your lawyer, contact the agent who sold you the house. They often have insight on the subtleties involved.

Lady Hefron
02-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't have any advice to offer, just luck and prayers for a good outcome.

Lady Laurel
02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you guys ... first of the house was not in the divorce decree he agreed to sale it and that never came into fruition. I am going to contact my mortgage company see what can be done and take it from there. I am afraid that bankruptcy may be my best bet even though that is the last thing I want to do. I know Louisiana is a judicial state and it will take some time to nail us to the wall... this just scares me though

Phoenix McHeit
02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Ooh sorry Laurel. If it wasn't in the decree, you were just as responsible for paying on it as he was, up until the point of him selling it. Since that didn't happen, you're at just as much fault as he is in the foreclosure process.

Good luck.

Bean
02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
You beat me to it, Phee. Unless it's in writing, you are on the hook, too.

Lady Laurel
02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah it sucks.... I am gonna call a bankruptcy attorney...I honestly believed he would put it on the market but it seems he is using this to get me... sad realy