PDA

View Full Version : Speed got bad news today.

SpeedKnight
02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
I had a "Periodic Health Assessment" appointment today. The doctor informed me that I'm borderline diabetic and that my total cholesterol is "almost too high." She said my LDLs and triglycerides were high, and my HDLs were a smidge too low.
I've been instructed to lose between 17 and 24 pounds over the next two months, or convert 7 to 10% of my body weight to more muscle. She told me to maintain my workout frequency and intensity (4 to 5 times a week, and high), but to cut back on my protein and carb intake. I cannot pack on more muscle with a lower protein intake, nor can I maintain my workout intensity with reduced carb intake.
Oh yeah... the worst part is that I was told I need to eat more green veggies. Problem there is I can't stand the flavor of most green veggies.

I'm screwed!

Lady Sarah
02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Suck it up Sailor.

Look at it this way - you're doing it so you can stick around and watch your kids grow up.

I wish you all the luck you need to do this and do it right.

surlywench
02-09-2010, 12:10 AM
get her to point you towards a good nutritionist. you are going to need creative solutions, and a nutritionist can link between you and the dr to provide you with solutions.

SpeedKnight
02-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Suck it up Sailor.

Look at it this way - you're doing it so you can stick around and watch your kids grow up.

I wish you all the luck you need to do this and do it right.

*raspberry*

I'll figure something out. There's gotta be someway to get the nutrients from green veggies without the nasty ass flavor... or the gagging on lettuce like stuff.

get her to point you towards a good nutritionist. you are going to need creative solutions, and a nutritionist can link between you and the dr to provide you with solutions.

I do need to do this. Maybe a nutritionist will point me in a tastier direction than green veggies. I can deal with green beans, but leafy crap is right out!

Bean
02-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Speed, I posted on your facebook, but get some odorless garlic gelcaps. I took them for my cholesterol and it dropped 25 points in 3 months.

LdyJhawk
02-09-2010, 12:49 AM
You can create a complete protein mixing legumes and brown rice (yeah it's a carb, but whole grain brown rice isn't horrid)

Chicken, turkey and pork are lean proteins (frying it..probably not the way you want to go)

As for vegetables? OHOH! OH! http://www.justtomatoes.com/dried_vegetables.html Well..peas are on there and they're not all green but still, if you hate all veg it's a way. I will say if she wants you eating leafy greens juicing it will work well and you can cover it up with apple

Ravin' Raven
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Also ask your doctor what your c- reactive protein level is. It is actually a better indicator of heart health than cholesterol. Take a deep breath and don't panic.

Did you know that at least half of all people that have heart attacks have "normal" cholesterol levels? The fact is that we cannot definitively prove that it's the cholesterol that is an issue or an indicator or something else that happens to go along with high cholesterol. You can have low cholesterol and high c- reactive proteins and have more danger.

Having said that, eat decent portions of lean meats, yes eat more vegetables (any bright color is actually a good thing) and work on educating yourself on how your body works best. There are no cookie cutter ways to deal with many health items. Remember that cholesterol is half genetics and half intake. You could eat the healthiest diet in the world and still have cholesterol issues.

There are some herbal things you could try is you are so inclined.

I've been poo-pooed too many times to post much about them but I will gladly give you some pointers via PM.

M&S Wench
02-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Be carefull about the "boarderline" thing in diabetes. It is like being boarderline pregnate. Damage is being done if your suger levels are too high. I am type 2 and know all about this crap. But be carefull because the new thought on boarderline is to start taking precautions before it becomes full blown, and then you can never get away from it.

keep us posted,
kittykat pirate wench

Bronya
02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Stop and get going now!! Trust me it sucks worse than ANYTHING I have ever gone thru. The side effects of diabetes are terrible besides the chance of strok or heart attack. There are all knds of good ways to hide veggies. Don't eat corn and peas though. Too much sugar for diabetics. If you like, I can pm you some great ideas. Please do as they say...this is a SERIOUS diease.

SpeedKnight
02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Take a deep breath and don't panic.

In all truth, the only part I'm sweating is this how "reduce your protein and carb intake" bit. Doesn't sound right to me, especially given my workout goals (which now include dropping some poundage).

I've been poo-pooed too many times to post much about them but I will gladly give you some pointers via PM.

Never would I poo-poo someone so sexy! ;-) Hit me!

Stop and get going now!! Trust me it sucks worse than ANYTHING I have ever gone thru. The side effects of diabetes are terrible besides the chance of strok or heart attack. There are all knds of good ways to hide veggies. Don't eat corn and peas though. Too much sugar for diabetics. If you like, I can pm you some great ideas. Please do as they say...this is a SERIOUS diease.

Yeah... this is something that would WRECK my career in the Navy. Ok, I only have 4 years until I retire, but still.
Hit me up!

Alchemist23
02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
24 lbs in two months seems very quick for a doc to recommend. Maybe easy for the severely obese, but I know I couldn't manage it atm.

Good luck hun, and I hope you don't get to full blown.

Bean
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Sensible loss is 2 pounds a week. Your doc didn't seem to get that memo.....

SpeedKnight
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
24 lbs in two months seems very quick for a doc to recommend. Maybe easy for the severely obese, but I know I couldn't manage it atm.

Good luck hun, and I hope you don't get to full blown.

Go to FB. Look at pics of me. If I lose 24 pounds, I'll look emaciated. I'm gonna try to lose some weight. I'm at 235 right now. I can get to 220 and look pretty damned good. 210ish would not look so good. I'll do what needs to be done. It's NOT gonna happen that quickly, though. Gimme 3 months, and I'll get you wenches photos of a new me. (But SM gets to touch! he he he)

Phoenix McHeit
02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Yes, but 24 lbs in 2 months is only 3 lbs a week. Under a doctor's care, it's very do-able.

Good luck Speed. And I'll echo my dear Sister Sarah - It's just another set of orders, Sailor. But these directly affect your kiddos and wife.

Lady Hefron
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Good luck. I have to be honest, though, in any pic I've seen of you I don't see where you have 10lbs of fat let alone 24lbs.

SpeedKnight
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Good luck. I have to be honest, though, in any pic I've seen of you I don't see where you have 10lbs of fat let alone 24lbs.

My belly. That's about it. Look at my triathlon pics on FB.

Lady Laurie
02-09-2010, 09:04 PM
fiber and protein help stableize blood sugar levels, and also, has the doc measured your bmi? (don't bother with the chart). There are tests that measure an individuals bodyfat percentage. (like the floating in the tub of water they showed on the biggest loser show). Another note on food for diabetics- what about eating foods according to their glycemic index (how fast they hit your blood sugar). The nutritionist should be able to help you with that.

SpeedKnight
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
fiber and protein help stableize blood sugar levels, and also, has the doc measured your bmi? (don't bother with the chart). There are tests that measure an individuals bodyfat percentage. (like the floating in the tub of water they showed on the biggest loser show). Another note on food for diabetics- what about eating foods according to their glycemic index (how fast they hit your blood sugar). The nutritionist should be able to help you with that.

BMI or body fat percentage? They tell me my BMI is in the 30s and that, by the BMI, I am "Obese." For starters, BMI doesn't take into account bone structure or actual body composition. According to the BMI, Lou Ferrigno is "Morbidly Obese." The hell.
Where I have not had a caliper nor float tank BC done, the Navy does a gross measurement for BC. It subtracts neck size from belly size and uses the difference to determine BF% for a given height. According to this grossly inaccurate method, I'm around 21% body fat.

Tomorrow, I have another set of labs to determine if the first set was accurate or not. Apparently, my blood sugar level needs to be less than 90 units, as opposed to the 107 from my last set of labs. Regardless of the outcome... 220, here I come.

Adriana Rose
02-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey there is a way to get the good stuff off of veg without the flavor.
There is a yummy juice by Naked Juice is green but it tastes like pinapple and kiwis.

Listen to Rave she knows her stuff

Mistress Morigianna
02-09-2010, 10:06 PM
you might try this- I have costomers who have lowered thier numbers and swear by it Herbpharm Healthy Cholesterol Tonic

I take several others by the company and just keep a shot glass by my toothbrush, fill with water- add half a dropper full of extract (30-40 drops) and drink. That way I get my twice a day without thinking.

http://www.dragonmarsh.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Dragonmarsh&Product_Code=Healthy_Cholesterol_Tonic&Category_Code=Herb_Pharm_Compounds

Thistle
02-10-2010, 03:38 AM
with internet access you can also try Spark People. Some of the stuff is baby talk, but the health articles are informative, and the online calorie tracker is great. You can add or subtract things you want to track, such as fiber, for your foods, and track weekly exercise. Its especially helpful if you're wary of weight watchers

Lady Hefron
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
My belly. That's about it. Look at my triathlon pics on FB.

I saw those pics. Still don't see it.

SpeedKnight
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
with internet access you can also try Spark People. Some of the stuff is baby talk, but the health articles are informative, and the online calorie tracker is great. You can add or subtract things you want to track, such as fiber, for your foods, and track weekly exercise. Its especially helpful if you're wary of weight watchers

I'm actually using fatsecret.com. I did a google search for online calorie trackers back in December '08, and it came up first. I signed up and never really used it. Now I am.

I saw those pics. Still don't see it.

It's there. Pretty much only there. The rest of my body is pretty muscular.

Lady Laurie
02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
[quote=SpeedKnight;387616]BMI or body fat percentage?

BF%- my scale measures it (using a signal that travels through your body). At a gym I used to belong to, they had a handheld device that sent the same sort of signal, but I don't remember if it told u body fat or bmi (or both). You could probably find it (and others) online.

SpeedKnight
02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
BF%- my scale measures it (using a signal that travels through your body).

I'm curious how accurate those are. I've seen them before, but never paid them much mind.
I have a pinch caliper, but, where it is fairly accurate, it is very inconsistent.

surlywench
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896/ns/health-heart_health/

something that might help you and your dr? I dont know how thoroughly the reports are broken down, but a blanket "your LDL is no good"...isn't quite accurate.

hope this helps!