PDA

View Full Version : Austin plane crash

Selena
02-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Has been deemed intentional. (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/18/texas.plane.crash/index.html)

The man set fire to his own house, which is about 4 miles from my house, and intentionally flew a single-engine plane (allegedly stole it) into a huge office building, which is about 5 miles from my office where I currently sit. It's a little unnerving, to say the least.

Several business in this 7 story building, including several federal entities as well as the IRS.

I've been watching this on the local news since it happened and before it hit national news.

So far, many injuries, no deaths reported (except the pilot, I guess??) and only 1 person reported unaccounted for.

I'm hearing reports of a note claiming anger (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2010/02/18/internet_note_posted_by_man_li.html)at the IRS.
Joseph Stack is the alleged pilot.

Nice-- well that's just great. What a coward. Wanna kill youself? Fine! But taking with you a bunch of innocent people just because YOU'RE pissed off? Fucking pussy.

Ysobelle
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Nice-- well that's just great. What a coward. Wanna kill youself? Fine! But taking with you a bunch of innocent people just because YOU'RE pissed off? Fucking pussy.

Well, that pretty much sums up me feelings on it. Plus a huge amount of amazement and thankfulness that so few others were killed or injured.

Mylilpinkpig
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
What scares me is that he was able to steal a plane....where was airport security?

Selena
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Actually, the plane being stolen was an early report. It's been confirmed now it was NOT stolen afterall, but they did have Georgetown Airport (from where he took off, a town just North of Austin) on lockdown. It might still be on lockdown right now for all I know.... Every time I turn on the news, it's something new.

Jamianne
02-18-2010, 05:08 PM

This.

Stories like this just reinforce some of my greatest fears - some idiot with a grudge trying to kill a bunch of people who are probably in no way directly connected to his problem. Just because they're pissed off at the government or some governmental agency. Dave works for a not-always-popular federal agency and I'm absolutely terrified of the day someone goes to his office with a gun or pulls one on him while he's out on site trying to do his job. Or does something like this. I just can't wrap my mind around the twisted justification for murdering people for something like this.

Saucy Sue
02-19-2010, 05:57 PM
A friend of mine works for the IRS but at a different office. She worked with the manager that was killed. She said they are all in shock at all the offices in Austin.

Selena
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
A friend of mine works for the IRS but at a different office. She worked with the manager that was killed. She said they are all in shock at all the offices in Austin.

Same here.
In truth, he killed only ONE other person. Just one. We're lucky, because it seems many of the people who worked there were out in the field.

But I think the root of the problem really goes much deeper. Yet once again, it has been proven by an extremely determined person that all you really have to do is hop into a plane and slam it into your desired target -- without anyone stopping you. Yes, F-16s were dispatched -- after the fact (in preparation if there were others).

Bottom line? The man was a success with his endeavor; him +1.