PDA

View Full Version : Utah Bill will criminalize miscarriages

surlywench
02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm still reading all the things linked in the article. But.....what.the.hell???

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2010/02/19/utah-passes-bill-that-charges-women-for-illegal-abortion-or-miscarriage

Torra
02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
To be honest, I'm less worried about the part where women can be charged for inducing miscarriage outside of doctor supervision than I am about the part where
the bill also creates a standard that could make women legally responsible for miscarriages caused by "reckless" behavior.

You go on to read what that says, and it becomes punitive to any woman who might potentially be pregnant. It also creates an environment of suspicion for any woman who is pregnant. "Did you trip, or are you trying to induce miscarriage? Prove it." I can easily see that kind of precedent having potential harm for women who might not know if they're pregnant or not.

Realistically, the likelihood of it being used in the worst way is slim to none, but even so I have to question why we would let something like that occur. Hopefully the governor doesn't sign it.

Isabelle Warwicke
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh. For. Cripes. Sake.

I'm so glad I don't live in Utah. My question, what if a woman did have a miscarriage, does she automatically have to defend her actions during her pregnancy? What a mess.

Lady Hefron
02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Makes you wonder how far they want to carry this.

Azura
02-25-2010, 05:52 AM
This seems awfully insensitive. What if a woman did just have a miscarriage? What if she was really, honestly trying to have a baby and this pregnancy just didn't make it? How devastating would that be to not only realize that your baby died, but now you also have to convince some jackoff that it wasn't your intention in the first place?

surlywench
02-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Oh. For. Cripes. Sake.

I'm so glad I don't live in Utah. My question, what if a woman did have a miscarriage, does she automatically have to defend her actions during her pregnancy? What a mess.

It will put dr's in a bind, too. Since a miscarriage is a criminal offense, do they have to report them to the police?

It's such a ridiculously careless bill, I have no words for just how stunningly backwards this is.

Isabelle Warwicke
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
It will put dr's in a bind, too. Since a miscarriage is a criminal offense, do they have to report them to the police?

It's such a ridiculously careless bill, I have no words for just how stunningly backwards this is.

Exactly. I defer to the "get your laws off my uterus" stance.