PDA

View Full Version : Wieners are now dangerous for kids

Selena
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Seriously, folks. WTF is wrong with this country (http://cbs4denver.com/health/hot.dog.redesign.2.1512018.html)???

I have a suggestion... TEACH YOUR CHILDREN HOW TO CHEW THEIR FRIGGIN' FOOD!

Warning labels on EVERYTHING these days. More of the pussificiation of umerika!

The American Academy of Pediatrics wants to put warning labels on foods which pose choking hazards to small children and has even suggested the hot dog be redesigned.

"When you think about, there are warning labels on a lot of things that little kids can choke on," said CBS4 Medical Editor Dr. Dave Hnida, "especially toys.

Blue Pixie
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
...... It's call watch your children.... there should be warning labels on the parents!

Jamianne
02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Not for nothing - hot dogs *are* one of the most choked on food for young kids - they're round and just about the perfect size to get stuck in a toddler's windpipe

It's not as simple as teaching your kids to chew their food or watching them. Little kids will be little kids and sometimes either take a bite that's too big (or if the parent cut it, it might not have been cut small enough), or stuff several bites into their mouths at once, or don't have enough teeth to chew effectively, or are just in a rush and didn't chew enough. And adults sometimes choke on their food - often for the same reasons.

Yes, some cases it's a matter of parents not paying attention to the kids while they're eating or teaching them how to chew their food well. But even if the parents are vigilent, it can happen.

So they put a warning label on hot dogs? So what? Almost everything has a warning label on it - including other foods. Is it sad that there's such a lack of common sense that we need so many of them - a bit. As for redesigning hot dogs...I'm not really for it, but I'm not completely against it until I see how they plan on changing it.

Gemdrite
02-25-2010, 11:25 PM
See, here's the thing though. Regardless of what they change the shape to, typically, when little kids are eating hotdogs, they are chopped up into smaller parts. So regardless of what shape they make it, it's going to be reduced to basically the same shape that causes kids to choke.

Kids choke. Adults choke. Really, if we are going to put a warning on anything that can cause you to choke, that means anything and everything should have a label on it warning you that you might choke on it if you put it in your mouth.

Ysobelle
02-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Apparently, ridiculous as it sounds at first blush, this didn't come out of nowhere. It's not that kids COULD choke on hot dogs, it's that they DO Enough that pediatricians want something done. Hot dogs are the perfect shape, and all kids eat them. They know hot dogs are dangerous, and they want to make them less so. Isn't that what we pay them for?

I think they're fighting an uphill battle, but I can't knock them for the idea.

surlywench
02-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Seriously, folks. WTF is wrong with this country (http://cbs4denver.com/health/hot.dog.redesign.2.1512018.html)???

I have a suggestion... TEACH YOUR CHILDREN HOW TO CHEW THEIR FRIGGIN' FOOD!

Warning labels on EVERYTHING these days. More of the pussificiation of umerika!

I'm not entirely sure how one would go about policing EVERY SINGLE BITE a child takes? N and I did a pretty good job with Eowyn, she chews with her mouth closed, takes normal bites, etc. I'm all for active parenting, but the idea of teaching a child specifically "how to chew their food" is kinda ridiculous.

parenting mags do tell you to cut the hot dog into rounds, and then the rounds into quarters to avoid choking hazards, tho.

or, you can just avoid giving a toddler a hot dog alltogether, which is what we did with Eowyn. Chicken nuggets ftw.

Also, this is from the article, and a good reason to just avoid the food until a kid is a bit older: "Children 4 and younger don't have molars and that makes foods like hot dogs, grapes and peanuts especially tough to grind up. It's commonly recommended parents either cut them into small pieces or avoid them all together."

Mistress Morigianna
02-26-2010, 04:02 AM
:mmph:do we pur warning labels on anything hot dog shaped you might choke on.....

gee i think there is a movie industry that will need alot of labels.....

Phoenix McHeit
02-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Kids choke. Adults choke. Really, if we are going to put a warning on anything that can cause you to choke, that means anything and everything should have a label on it warning you that you might choke on it if you put it in your mouth.

This.

Fer chrissake people, EVERYTHING is a possible choking hazard. When my boys were toddlers I remember that I couldn't turn around without bumping into some warning article, tv series, lecture from their doc, what-have-you about the hazards of choking, and the most likely culprits. Cripes, that was 15 YEARS ago.

So that apparently isn't enough and they want warning labels on foods now? So the parents who somehow MISS the aforementioned barrage will magically comprehend and the incidents of choking will dramatically diminish?

:unamused:

Gellis Indigo
02-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Just one more step on the road towards the dumbing down of America. :unamused:

Selena
02-26-2010, 08:41 AM
This.

Fer chrissake people, EVERYTHING is a possible choking hazard. When my boys were toddlers I remember that I couldn't turn around without bumping into some warning article, tv series, lecture from their doc, what-have-you about the hazards of choking, and the most likely culprits. Cripes, that was 15 YEARS ago.

So that apparently isn't enough and they want warning labels on foods now? So the parents who somehow MISS the aforementioned barrage will magically comprehend and the incidents of choking will dramatically diminish?

:unamused:

This is my point in posting all of this.

Really -- where are we (as a culture) going to draw the line, here? Are we so damned sensitive that everything we have MUST have a warning label basically saying, "Hey dumbass! This could be dangerous because others have died from doing-eating-touching-smelling such-and-such!"

These are the times that I fuckin' swear I see the movie Idiocracy in practice with today's society! OW, MY BALLS!!

Tempest_Gypsy
02-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Hey, sorry, daughter of a math teacher piping in here. Did anyone look at the numbers in the article? I like numbers.
141 deaths from choking, 61 from hot dogs, in 2006. Furthermore, the article says choking is the leading cause of deaths in all kids 14 and under. Which is a big fat lie, since motor vehicle accidents kill a lot more than 141 kids a year. This issue is a bunch of fear mongering; probbly someone's pet crusade, and they've made enough noise about it to get some attention.
Yes, it's very sad that about 60 kids die by hot-dog every year. But I think these pediatricians could better spend their time, and save more lives, instructing parents on the importance of child safety seats and seat belts. And save more lives by brushing up on their trauma treatment skills.
It seems like a big waste of time to me to spend millions of dollars convincing Oscar Meyer to cut down their weiners, design new packaging, etc. when that time and money could save many more lives, elsewhere.

(My data from CDC: http://www.disastercenter.com/cdc/111riskc.html)

Adriana Rose
02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Ya know if they want to do it all I say is what ever floats their boat.

Little Bit is the kid that stuffs as much as he can in his mouth, I just keep an eye on him when he does that.

It just boils down to just use your freaking head when you are feeding your toddlers, cut it small and stay in the room with them. Your email, laundry or what ever can wait

Mistress Morigianna
02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
warning labels are the legal departments way of keeping from being sued....

gee you DRANK the winshild wiper fluid because it was blue and in a gallon container and in a shelf in the garage but you thought it was kool aid?

Didin't you see the warning label????:unamused:

renren
02-27-2010, 06:15 PM
:mmph:do we pur warning labels on anything hot dog shaped you might choke on.....

gee i think there is a movie industry that will need alot of labels.....
Snerk
Priceless!

Just wanted to add, on a serious, note, that I feel for the families of children who have died from choking..

Thistle
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
as I said to a friend who posted this article on FB: Its the ingredients you need to look out for. Want healthy kids? Don't feed them hotdogs!

Annabella St. Clair
02-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I used to work in a hospital in the kitchen and hot dogs were off limits for certain ages.

Kids chew fast or get distracted. It happens.

Some parents, young and old, don't realize that hot dogs can be a hazzard. I think a Suggestion label is appropriate. I'm a social worker and many many times I have to educate parents on food issues.

I never knew about grapes until I was a nanny for a while. I had to either cut the grapes in fours or peal them. No to pealing, yes to cutting.

Kids do sometimes stuff their mouths, even when you sit there and watch their every bite.

Selena
02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Kids chew fast or get distracted. It happens.

So do adults.

Shall we put warning choking labels on every single piece of food?

Gellis Indigo
02-28-2010, 12:31 PM
So do adults.

Shall we put warning choking labels on every single piece of food?

Yep. We need to stamp them in edible ink on every food product produced and/or sold. :unamused:

Gemdrite
02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Yep. We need to stamp them in edible ink on every food product produced and/or sold. :unamused:
Better label it all over the food. If someone cuts the food up and one part of the cut up food doesn't have a warning label on it, they might choke.

Really, where does the stupidity end? You put something in your mouth, you run the risk of choking. That's life. You can't figure that out, please, stop eating.

Ysobelle
02-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Hot dogs are the size and shape of a child's throat. They are specifically a problem. They're also man-made, so could theoretically be changed.

If this were a crib or stroller that had caused children's deaths, people would scream, and the design would be changed. I'm not sure why pediatricians are being castigated for pointing out that the design of hot dogs has killed children. Isn't that their job?

BronxGirl
02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Hot dogs are the size and shape of a child's throat. They are specifically a problem. They're also man-made, so could theoretically be changed.

If this were a crib or stroller that had caused children's deaths, people would scream, and the design would be changed. I'm not sure why pediatricians are being castigated for pointing out that the design of hot dogs has killed children. Isn't that their job?

Also, the conversation is about warning labels aimed at children, not adults, even if it is the adults that will be doing something about it.

Jamianne
02-28-2010, 06:12 PM

This.

Pediatricians have been warning about hot dogs for years. The hazard is nothing new. It's finally gotten more attention than pediatricians warning parents individually of the potential danger to their children. It's not always that parents aren't paying attention but sometimes they don't even realize how dangerous something can be. If a warning label makes someone more aware, how is that a bad thing? I know that a lot of people don't bother reading them. But if at least a few do and a couple kids (and their parents) are spared what at the least is a terrifying experience and at worst death, then I don't understand what the big issue with it is. It doesn't mean that we need to label every food item. But hot dogs happen to be a size and shape that is dangerous for young kids. A warning because of that might not be such a bad idea.

Phoenix McHeit
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Also, the conversation is about warning labels aimed at children, not adults, even if it is the adults that will be doing something about it.
Umm, no, it's not.

From the article:
"I really feel the education of parents is vital," Walner said.

This is ridiculous because any food can be choked on, man-made or not. By any person, adult or child, watched or not. Why else is the Heimlich Maneuver so necessary and common-knowledge? People choke. It sucks, but it's a fact of life. A warning label won't stop that. I think it's taking things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far.

Yso, if a crib or a highchair were causing deaths, they would be recalled. Sorry, lemme rephrase - if they were causing deaths While Being Used In The Proper Manner, they would be recalled.

Theophilous
04-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I have developed a new food product and need some advice about how many warning lables and stickers to put on it.

I call my new product "The Orange".

It comes with a biodegradable coverage In a bright secondary color to appeal to children. There are a few issues with this cover though. It doesn't come with a built in opening device, therefore the outer covering must be peeled or pierced to open. If pulled open manually, or by hand the covering may, well very probably will, release a fine spray of concentrated acid that if it enters the eyes or a cut will cause extreme discomfort. Obviously, one should wear eye protection and rubber gloves when attempting to open this product. Also the covering can easily be broken into small pieces that would present a choking hazzard to small children.

Once opened and the outer covering discarded, the inner portion can be separated into numberous segments or sections. Each segment is small, oblong and could easily be considered another choking hazard. Each segment is a small sack containing a collection of small individual sacks, each containing more acidic liquid. If opened in an uncontrolled manner, such as using a spoon or similar thrusting object, the segments may send a stream of acid several feet in a random direction. Thus endangering not only the user but possibly anyone within a two meters of the product. These segments may or may not also contain a series of small stone like objects, called seeds. These objects, meant for procreative purposes in the manufacturing process, could conceivably present a danger of tooth breakage.

Consumption of this product may result in increased blood glucose levels for diabetics and others with similar glycemic dysfunctions.

I am developing a similar product for military and police use, which I call "The Grapefruit"

And have you counted the number of warning sticker that are put on a step ladder?

Theophilous

Drea Beth
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Thread jack ahead...

The dumbest/funniest warning label I ever saw was at Whole Foods on a bin of pecans. The last line of the label on the bin said "Warning: May contain nuts". Seriously, there are people who can't figure out on their own that a bin of pecans contains nuts???

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

Emmaline Love
04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Sooooo, I kind of choked on a hot dog like 2 hours ago... My friend made me laugh and I needed a pat on the back to dislodge it, but it wasn't the hot dog's fault, it was my own fault. *rotfl*

I don't think they necessarily need to change the form of all hot dogs or easily choked on foods, but why not just come out with a toddler/young child themed series of these foods... like pre cut up hot dogs that are smaller pieces then what a parent would cut? Seems like something "gerber graduates" would be interested in

Gemdrite
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Sooooo, I kind of choked on a hot dog like 2 hours ago... My friend made me laugh and I needed a pat on the back to dislodge it, but it wasn't the hot dog's fault, it was my own fault. *rotfl*

I don't think they necessarily need to change the form of all hot dogs or easily choked on foods, but why not just come out with a toddler/young child themed series of these foods... like pre cut up hot dogs that are smaller pieces then what a parent would cut? Seems like something "gerber graduates" would be interested in
They do. We used to buy them for my brother when he was little.

Emmaline Love
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
They do. We used to buy them for my brother when he was little.

Then whats with all the commotion from the doctors??? This whole thing was probably caused by one parent that just has enough money to make a scene and nobody had big enough balls to tell them to shut up and use some common sence... UGH :unamused:

At the risk of sounding like a cynic maybe there's some natural selection at work here... too far? Probably... sorry if this offends anyone

Lady Anisette
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Regardless of all the arguments it is still up to the parents. When my sister was a toddler, my mother took the time to cut up hot dogs into little non-choke-able pieces. When I started babysitting, she told me to be careful and to cut food up into small pieces. The mothers I babysat for reiterated this information. Not one child I took care of or those my friends took care of choked. We were taught by mothers who took the time to do it. Even my dad, who was rarely around because of work, would stand there and cut the hot dogs into little pieces. He knew!

Children can choke on anything. I was always diligent as a babysitter and now as a camp educator. You have to be.

As for my sister, she never choked on her hot dogs. She did, however, choke on the mouthpiece to the snorkel. She decided to go snorkeling in the toilet one day while my mother was on the phone. My mother saved her. So.... hot dogs, snorkels, anything really. As a parent or a caregiver, one must be constantly paying attention.