View Full Version : Nice, Mississippi School Board

Bronya
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100311/US.Lesbian.Prom.Date/

Lesbian teen in prom flap sues, returns to school
By SHELIA BYRD, AP
19 minutes ago

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes 824
This 2009 photo released by Constance McMillen's family via The ACLU of Miss...
Share |
Email Story Discuss Print
JACKSON, Miss. — Constance McMillen didn't believe her Mississippi school district would really call off her senior prom rather than allow her to show up with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo. On Thursday, a day after the Itawamba County school board did just that, the 18-year-old lesbian high school senior reluctantly returned to campus to some unfriendly looks, she said.

"Somebody said, 'Thanks for ruining my senior year.'" McMillen said.

The district announced Wednesday it wouldn't host the April 2 prom. The decision came after the American Civil Liberties Union demanded that officials change a policy banning same-sex prom dates because it violated students' rights. And the ACLU said the district not letting McMillen wear a tuxedo violated her free expression rights.

The ACLU filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Oxford to force the school district to sponsor the prom and allow McMillen to bring whom she chooses and wear what she wants.

District officials didn't returned numerous calls left by The Associated Press seeking comment on Thursday.

McMillen said she never expected the district to respond the way it did.

"A lot of people said that was going to happen, but I said, they had already spent too much money on the prom" to cancel it, she said. "I'm just trying to get done what I originally wanted done. Now, we're having to fight just to have a prom."

McMillen said she didn't want to go back to Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton the morning after the decision, but her father told her she needed to face her classmates, teachers and school officials.

"My daddy told me that I needed to show them that I'm still proud of who I am," McMillen told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "The fact that this will help people later on, that's what's helping me to go on."

A school board statement said it wouldn't host the event in Fulton, "due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events" but never mentioned McMillen or her girlfriend, who also is a student at the school.

Same-sex prom dates and cross-dressing are new issues for many high schools around the country, said Daryl Presgraves, a spokesman for GLSEN: Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, a Washington-based advocacy group.

"A lot of schools actually react rather than do the research and find out what the rights of these students are," said Presgraves, who was preparing to facilitate a discussion about anti-gay bullying at a National Association of Secondary School Principals meeting.

U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Colo., said a bill he's introduced in Congress would protect students such as McMillen. Polis said the measure would make it illegal to discriminate against gay and lesbian school students. He said his bill is modeled after similar laws in at least 10 states.

"This situation with the prom is a perfect example of why we need to protect students from discrimination. In this case it's a prom. It other cases, it's getting beaten up or killed," Polis said.

Polis said he was "dismayed" by the school board's action.

"They ruined the prom, not only for this young woman, but for all of the straight kids at the school," he said.

The school district had said it hoped a privately sponsored prom could be held. McMillen said if that happens, she's sure she'll be excluded.

"It's a small town in Mississippi, and it's run by an older generation with money. Most of them are more conservative and they don't agree with it," she said.

Fulton Mayor Paul Walker said he supports the school district's decision and knew of no private efforts to host the prom.

"I think the community as a whole is probably in support of the school district," Walker said of the town of about 4,000.

Southside Baptist Church Pastor Bobby Crenshaw said he's seen the South portrayed as "backwards" on Web sites discussing the issue, "but a lot more people here have biblically based values."

Itawamba County is a rural area of about 23,000 people in north Mississippi near the Alabama state line. It's near Pontotoc County, Miss., where more than a decade ago school officials were sued in federal court over their practice of student-led intercom prayer and Bible classes.

A couple of students had different reactions to the decision.

Anna Watson, a 17-year-old junior at the high school, was looking forward to the prom, especially since the town's only hotspot is the bowling alley, she said.

"I am a little bummed out about it. I guess it's a decision that had to be made. Either way someone was going to get disappointed — either Constance was or we were," Watson said. "I don't agree with homosexuality, but I can't change what another person thinks or does."

McKenzie Chaney, 16, said she wasn't planning to attend the prom, but "it's kind of ridiculous that they can't let her wear the tuxedo and it all be over with."

Presgraves said his organization hears about school districts that prohibit same-sex prom dates and gay-straight alliance clubs at schools. He said those kind of policies are detrimental to gay students.

"It sends a message that these students shouldn't be treated the same," Presgraves said.

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd be more than willing to host a lesbian prom in my apartment.

Isabelle Warwicke
03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I'd be more than willing to host a lesbian prom in my apartment.

I borrowed Nikki's halibut, just for the occaion. *thwap*

I want to know, do they let students go single, or do they have to bring a date of the opposite sex. I'd also like to see where it is written into their student by-laws about gender normative and appropriate dress and choice of date. Also, I'd like to know when that was added.

Hate is easy, love takes courage.

Ysobelle
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I borrowed Nikki's halibut, just for the occaion. *thwap*

I want to know, do they let students go single, or do they have to bring a date of the opposite sex. I'd also like to see where it is written into their student by-laws about gender normative and appropriate dress and choice of date. Also, I'd like to know when that was added.

Quite a while ago, it seems. The students were given a letter a few months back, I think I read. Only problem is, there's also a law that states bringing a same-sex date is your right under the First Amendment, and cannot be restricted.

There's no way in which this doesn't suck for her.

Phoenix McHeit
03-12-2010, 01:13 PM

::clappin: That's an awesome turn of phrase.

Isabelle Warwicke
03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
There's no way in which this doesn't suck for her.

Yes. It's quite a path for her to walk now, so young, but imagine the woman that she is going to grow into.

If I were wealthy, I'd fund the prom privately. (On a side note, I wold be the coolest philathropist, if I hit the lottery.)

Bronya
03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I wish some millionaire would see this story and put the prom on for the kids. I am proud of her parents too for standing besdie her throgug this

Ysobelle
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Apparently, they school board is hoping for just that: someone else to put on the prom. The problem is the possible scenario it creates: they have no case in court, and will lose. They'd have to put the prom on. There's already another prom. One way or the other, prom is segregated, and this girl still loses.

I hope I'm wrong. I also hope this girl didn't have anything else to do with her life-- like, say, studying for her SATs or applying to college-- for the next six months.

daBaroness
03-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I just think issues like these are stupid. Point. Period. Dot. Just stupid. They have no relevance to anything. I put them in the same category as banning a student because they dye their hair "an unnatural color." WTF difference does it make? It's the so-called adults that make these insignificant things into issues that create real problems for the students. It's just STUPID!

Frankly - these girls shouldn't have said anything. They should have just shown up at their prom like any other couple. There'd have been little the adminstration could have done at that point.

Sadly, I've learned through experience it's often better to ask forgiveness than permission and there is such a thing as being too honest. Bad lesson the world has taught me, yes?

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Keep in mind that this is Mississippi, so it's to be expected. There are some districts in that state where (I shit you not) they still have separate white proms and black proms :shock:, so the gay-rights prom people are probably going to have to wait in line.

Tempest_Gypsy
03-13-2010, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=daBaroness;389308]
<snip>Frankly - these girls shouldn't have said anything. They should have just shown up at their prom like any other couple. There'd have been little the adminstration could have done at that point.
</snip>
[QUOTE]

They could have refused them admittance. Especially if one of the girls arrived in a tux. It happened at my junior prom, despite the strenuous chants of "Let them in!" from the assembled students inside and the fact that the couple had paid for their tickets, in advance, like everyone else.

I had wanted to wear a tux to my senior prom, just because I like the way I look in a tux, but even though I was dating a guy, I wore a dress instead, so they didn't have any excuse to keep me out.

I do think speaking up was the right choice for these girls, and I do admire them for it. It takes major cajones for a teenager to REALLY stand up to authority when the authority is making a bad decision. A little rebellion is one thing; risking the wrath of all your peers in a demand for fair treatment is a lot scarier.

daBaroness
03-14-2010, 02:48 PM
A few years back a local high school student was suspended because she had dyed her hair auburn with blonde streaks. Let me rephrase, her mother took her to a very good salon where a professional colored her hair. It wasn't outrageous - it was darling. The school board said it was, "an unnatural color." Whatever. And it was Missouri, no Mississippi. Stupid knows no state boundaries.

Mistress Morigianna
04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Ok I just am LIVID
WTF! WTF WTF WTF!

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/05/ACLU_Investigating_Fake_Prom/

McMillen: I Was Sent to Fake Prom

By Neal Broverman

To avoid Constance McMillen bringing a female date to her prom, the teen was sent to a "fake prom" while the rest of her class partied at a secret location at an event organized by parents.

McMillen tells The Advocate that a parent-organized prom happened behind her back — she and her date were sent to a Friday night event at a country club in Fulton, Miss., that attracted only five other students. Her school principal and teachers served as chaperones, but clearly there wasn't much to keep an eye on.

"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen says. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."

Last week McMillen asked one of the students organizing the prom for details about the event, and was directed to the country club. "It hurts my feelings," McMillen says.

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."

In March, after the Itawamba County School District refused to allow McMillen to bring a female date to the prom, the district canceled the event altogether. McMillen and her lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union challenged that decision in court, and a judge ruled the district could not bar McMillen and her date.

The judge declined to force the school district to hold the prom because a parent-sponsored, private prom was being organized — and the understanding was that McMillen and her date were invited to that event. But Hampton says McMillen was never invited and organizers made it very difficult for her to find information on the time and location. That prom was later mysteriously canceled, with the Friday night event at the country club officially replacing it.

Mistress Morigianna
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
This is the adults that are suppossed to be role models??? I can't even type what I am thinking I would be banned forever. So much hate in the world and they need to add to it?

Isabelle Warwicke
04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Hate is easy. Love takes Courage.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-06-2010, 09:09 PM
By the way, "Decoy Prom" is the name of my new grunge band.

Isabelle Warwicke
04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
This town has now been labeld the Meanest Town in America (http://lafiga.firedoglake.com/2010/04/05/the-meanest-town-in-america-fake-prom-for-lesbian-student/)

I think my favorite is when some of the students spoke with the media and commented how THEY were the victims (http://perezhilton.com/2010-04-05-disgusting-parent-organizers-send-constance-to-fake-prom) and that this was all Constance's fault.

Rotten parents breed rotten children.

Azura
04-07-2010, 03:34 PM
This town has now been labeld the Meanest Town in America (http://lafiga.firedoglake.com/2010/04/05/the-meanest-town-in-america-fake-prom-for-lesbian-student/)

I think my favorite is when some of the students spoke with the media and commented how THEY were the victims (http://perezhilton.com/2010-04-05-disgusting-parent-organizers-send-constance-to-fake-prom) and that this was all Constance's fault.

Rotten parents breed rotten children.

PFFT! :snarf: Meanest Town in America? Effing win! Congrats on being a big enough pile of **** that you get noticed for it and get an honorary label. Not very many towns go out of their way to suck as hard as you. :aok:

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-07-2010, 09:39 PM
One of these little future Walmart Greeters posted to her facebook in her defense that the prom Constance went to was the "real" prom thrown by the school, not a decoy prom, and it was just that all the other students decided to boycott it and go to an alternate prom instead. :roll:

Isabelle Warwicke
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
...little future Walmart Greeters ...:roll:

Bob. FTW!

Lady Sarah
04-08-2010, 12:30 AM
I just spent the last 90 or so minutes reading through the responses on the blog/article (http://lafiga.firedoglake.com/2010/04/05/the-meanest-town-in-america-fake-prom-for-lesbian-student/)... and reading what the two Itawamba girls had to say in their 'defense'.... well, it left me drooling from stupidity.

They have NO clue how stupid and ignorant they sound, for starters, nor just what they're guilty of. They all think that it's about the girl, Constance, getting attention. They have NO idea that it's because of their prejudices and that of their parents.

Posted in the responses were links to screencaps from some of the Itawhatsits seniors on FB... among them one of the responses asked if Constance had died (because it was posted that "it's been cancelled") and then "YAY!!". Really? Wishing someone had died because they're causing YOU an inconvenience? And when chastised about her post, she shrugged it off.

These Itafuckwits are just.... they make me sad to know that they're breeding more just like them.

Isabelle Warwicke
04-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I just spent the last 90 or so minutes reading through the responses on the blog/article (http://lafiga.firedoglake.com/2010/04/05/the-meanest-town-in-america-fake-prom-for-lesbian-student/)... and reading what the two Itawamba girls had to say in their 'defense'.... well, it left me drooling from stupidity.

Thanks...now I'm going to go waste 90 minutes too. I'm only on response #16 and I'm laughing my ass off.

Some of my favorites:

"the gaze of a nation fell briefly on your senior class this weekend. And you totally blew it."

" Oh, and when you brag about being one of the top schools in Mississippi–that sound you hear is the rest of the country laughing our asses off."

Azura
04-08-2010, 01:57 AM
I have to admit that I read them this afternoon. What the two kids say is just ridiculous to the point of hilarity. And sadness.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-08-2010, 02:40 AM
http://johnnykaje.wordpress.com/

....She was so driven to stand up for the strong and uptrodden* that she forgot a few critical rules of thumb. The big one, of course, is “if you try to excuse your glad participation in a cruel, cowardly and much-publicized stunt, don’t use a username that points to your Facebook page. Especially if you plan on a career in journalism. You breathtakingly atrocious idiot.”

Now begleg10, AKA Lindsey Begley, will forever be linked with this event, for the Internet never forgets. Perhaps her journalism dreams can still be salvaged; maybe Fox News will give her a show, if she plays her cards right. Cash in on the wingnut welfare girlfriend!

*rotfl*

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Hmmmm.... looks like the majority of the posters on the Fox "News" star Sean Hannity's forum (http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?t=1909001) are on the side of the bigots.

This is my surprised face: http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1583/meh0hr.gif

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-08-2010, 03:07 AM
"and i don’t understand the disabled kids stuff, we don’t even talk to them, so stop judging. they could have come to our prom if they wanted to."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2971/364si.gif

Azura
04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
"and i don’t understand the disabled kids stuff, we don’t even talk to them, so stop judging. they could have come to our prom if they wanted to."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2971/364si.gif

I know, right? That line is just impressively bad, isn't it? It's just unabashedly out there. I know I've said things without thinking, but even I understood the concept of rereading a message before posting it when I was a kid. And that post... it's just like taking awful and turning it to eleven and never looking back. ::freakyf:

Even better, I found this in the comments section of the blog you posted, which was taken from one of the kids' Facebook:
“LeeandCourtney McMullen: no whats funny is that this bitch has gotten the whole world involved in are small town drama. if the faggot had never came to school there this would have never happened in the first place. we are in the bible belt and 9 out of 10 people here dont like faggots and carpent munchers and about the interracial comments it happen but i just look over it. the bible tells us not to mix and that homosexuality is a sin that will have you condemned to an everlasting fire called hell. not no hell no constance”
It’s at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=361015830355 as a reply to one of the oldest posts available.

Oh, Itawamba. I see your kids are as klassy as you are! Way to go!

Selena
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Even better, I found this in the comments section of the blog you posted, which was taken from one of the kids' Facebook:
“LeeandCourtney McMullen: no whats funny is that this bitch has gotten the whole world involved in are small town drama. if the faggot had never came to school there this would have never happened in the first place. we are in the bible belt and 9 out of 10 people here dont like faggots and carpent munchers and about the interracial comments it happen but i just look over it. the bible tells us not to mix and that homosexuality is a sin that will have you condemned to an everlasting fire called hell. not no hell no constance”

Just proves my point that these kids are idiots.

AND IT'S OUR, DUMBASS -- NOT ARE!

And it's also CARPET!!! NOT "carpent". sheesh. If you idiots would spend more time in school instead of focusing on your spewing of hatred against 'teh gay', perhaps you just might learn something! :unamused:

My brain is twitching from the fucked up grammar this little-sprite-of-hatred is attempting to state.

OW, MY BALLS!

Magdalene
04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
To all 'adults' who took part in and sanctioned this malicious stunt,

May your child be the next one out of the closet.

No love,
Me