PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings - Move Clocks Ahead !!

Buxom Wench
03-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Just a reminder.

This Saturday night, before you go to bed, or Sunday morning when you wake up, move your clocks ahead 1 hour.

Oh, and check your smoke alarm batteries too.

Now back to your normal web browsing.

Lady Hefron
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you for the reminder.

I hate these time changes. They mess with me so bad. Anyone else?

Torra
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Hatred seconded. Living without it makes no noticeable impact on your life, at least in my opinion, but we'll never end up getting rid of DST.

Phoenix McHeit
03-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Ehh, it's no big deal for me. I mean, its almost to the point where we should just keep it all year 'round, the dates have been stretched and expanded so much, but really, it doesn't bother me.

Kathryn Blakeley
03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the reminder Bux!

It'd be nice to just not have to change the clocks.

Phoenix McHeit
03-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Arizona doesn't. (at least the Phoenix area) So when I call my folks, I have to do the math of how far behind they are... "is it 2 or 3 hours this week?" :-)

Lady Anne
03-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reminder!

I'm not sure how true it is, but I heard that the original reason for DST was to allow the farmers "another hour of daylight at the end of the day"...ummm, if you're working in the fields until sunset anyway, what does it really matter whether it is 6:00 or 7:00pm?:stunned:

Phoenix McHeit
03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I heard it was to save on electricity. More evening sunlight meant fewer lamps on. *shrug* Not that it matters. :-)

Bean
03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Parts of Indiana don't do DST either. And it was designed so that kids going to school wouldn't be in the dark waiting for buses and less electricity would be used. It keeps the majority of the sunlight hours in the middle of the day.

Lady Hefron
03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
My Beloved and I have been having this discussion about why Daylight Savings time was instituted. I been looking on the web and haven't been able to find any reference to his argument that it was because of farm kids walking to school in the dark. I have been able to find evidence that it was uniformly instituted in the '70s for energy conservation.

Anyone know the truth of this?

Bean
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I just watched a little thing on msnbc.com about daylight savings time. It orginated with Benjamin Franklin and was first used in WWI to conserve energy. It became standard in 1966 with a few tweeks here and there since then.

daBaroness
03-13-2010, 12:31 AM
I just watched a little thing on msnbc.com about daylight savings time. It orginated with Benjamin Franklin and was first used in WWI to conserve energy. It became standard in 1966 with a few tweeks here and there since then.

I learned the same thing recently. Franklin's idea was that it would allow farmers more time in their fields if darkness fell later.

I personally like DST because I feel more energized at the end of the day when there are still several hours of daylight to enjoy. It's purely psychological, but it works for me. I think my dogs like it because they get to go out later.

Gemdrite
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
I love the extra daylight at the end of the day, it's the missing hour of sleep I don't like.

I don't remember where, but I remember someone making the comment that "daylight saving's time is like cutting a foot off of the top of your blanket and sewing it onto the bottom of your blanket to make it longer."

I get the logic behind it, once upon a time, but frankly, I wish they would just spring forward one year and leave it there.

Kathryn Blakeley
03-13-2010, 01:03 AM
I wish they would just spring forward one year and leave it there.

Me too.

Lady Hefron
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Me too.

Me three. Enough already. Thanks for the info ladies. This is what I've come up with.

Jayde
03-14-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm thinking 2010 may actually be a good year, so I'll pass on the springing ahead a year lol

As far as DST, the only problem I have is remembering if my computer and my phone changed themselves automatically or not. I'm not to generally base everything on the time, if I need to know what time it is (for example, if I have to be somewhere), I look at the clock, other than that I tend to go about my day without it really.