PDA

View Full Version : Photos online and copyrights

rosefaeries
03-26-2010, 05:54 PM
I just got an e-mail letting me know that another student attempted to pass off some of my photographs as her own work.

She was able to get the photos off of a blog that I was required to do for another class. She evidentially really liked my photo of a golden bumble bee (or so I was told) on some wild lilac. I took the photo in July. She claimed that she had taken it with her camera phone. (Had to explain the small photo somehow. She also had the Mule Mountain photos on her camera. The exact same photos that are on my blog. )

Fortunately, the person she was showing the work to had already seen that photo from when I had taken it this summer. And this person also realized that lilac wasn't blooming yet. I just wished that he hadn't waited so long to let me know what had happened.

Now I need to come up with a watermark to put on my photos to prevent this from happening again.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Anything that works or doesn't work? I am doing some research now online, but would like some input.

Bean
03-26-2010, 06:32 PM
I just asked a friend of mine who is a computer person about this. She says that you can watermark in either photoshop or Microsoft Word. If using word you would insert the photo, watermark, and then save as a jpeg.

Sorry your work was hijacked like that. People just suck.

Selena
03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Tis true.

I'm not a pro by ANY means, but I've spent thousands of bucks on not only my equipment, but my online space. And while I do admit I'm no pro, all I ask for, if someone uses my photos, is a reference. Just give me credit, at the very least, for the photo work. It's NOT that much to ask... really.

But these days, it seems you really must use a watermark. And if you want to give someone your photos clear, then they need to email you with permission to use. Sucks.

I got really pissed off a couple of years ago -- someone was using their "website" watermark on top of the photographer's watermark. Needless to say, they got in a snit about my complaint about their "copyright" over users photos... and they are no longer a hosting website due to their users getting pissed off about said issue.

Andreadoria
03-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree. Sometimes it is best to have watermarks on all pictures so you can see if some weirdo is using them as his own...with this I mean photos of ones self.

I use Water Mark Professional. It is easy to use and I have a way I have been signing all my art work since Junior High. I have it on certain pictures on My space. My artistic signature is very unique and you need to know me to know what it means. Other wise it looks like 2 men rowing a gondola or some sort of Asian calligraphy character. I recommend a unique signature design.

I do suggest we all start doing Water Marking there are soooo may of us here that are so fantastically creative it will prevent people from taking our works. If I were to use some ones work I would always ask permission....I know what it is to have work stolen and it is just cut wrenching.

But you could use Photoshop to layer it in..it makes it harder to remove.

This is a pic I painted and I photographed it and then used WaterMark Professional on it. It allows you to swirl and do various techniques to the the image being layered in.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this some people have no clue at all or respect.

rosefaeries
03-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the input. What gets to me, I had it in the blog that I retained all rights to the photos and permission was needed to use my photos.

I am in the process of putting something in the photos. I do have Photoshop, but I wanted to know how to make as difficult as possible for someone to steal the photos as possible.

It is one thing for someone to like enough to use it as a screen saver or wall paper on their computer. It is a whole other matter that she claimed to take the photos herself.

I just wish that I had found out before I had posted more photos. Now I get to go back and redo those too. :augh:

Andreadoria
03-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Once you get it down it is easy to do mass quantities.

With Photoshop you want to do a transparent layer..With maybe a pattern in the letters or design.

People will do any thing to cut corners..thank goodness that she was caught.

rosefaeries
03-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I have the photos in the blog redone and reposted. Of course it would have helped if I hadn't been so mad I couldn't see straight. It would have been done much faster.

When I think of the potential damage this could have done to me in school. What if the person hadn't recognized my work and dealt with the situation. This could have hurt my credibility with any future instructors.

Right now I just have Wild Rose Studios in an Edwardian script in the lower right corner of my photos. I am going to have to build a watermark this weekend. I found a tutorial that will help me to build one as an action. That way, it will be put in when I tell it to and I won't have to do it over and over. This time, I just dragged layers into the photos.

I really wasn't ready to decide on a watermark or even a name yet. But since the issue was forced, I am using my handcrafts business name. Might as well. It fits for photography too.

At least, this was caught before a lot of my work was misappropriated. (I hope).

This has not been a fun day.

Ysobelle
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
What happened to the student?

rosefaeries
03-26-2010, 10:49 PM
I haven't been told any details about what happened to the student. Just that it happened and it had been handled immediately.

Alchemist23
03-27-2010, 02:56 AM
I wish there was a way to protect things without watermarks. I think they are hideous. I've never used them on my own work because they just distract me.

There is a a lady that posts ATCs on a site I participate in, and her watermarks are huge...I hate looking at her gallery because of it.

It's sucky either way.

Torra
03-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I wish there was a way to protect things without watermarks. I think they are hideous. I've never used them on my own work because they just distract me.

There is a a lady that posts ATCs on a site I participate in, and her watermarks are huge...I hate looking at her gallery because of it.

It's sucky either way.

You CAN protect things without a watermark...but then no one will use your work unless you're a big enough name to pull it off. Digital rights management includes watermarking, but if you're savvy enough you can make it so that only those people to whom you give permission can do anything with the photo - print it, save it, use it. You see this with a lot of products like e-books and music (Kindle and iPod, for example).