PDA

View Full Version : Airport Scanner ogling

rosefaeries
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
I just read this (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100324/od_nm/us_britain_scanner_odd;_ylt=AkeWqLfVi2pH.2k3tgmu2p PtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJyZWVoM21yBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwMz I0L3VzX2JyaXRhaW5fc2Nhbm5lcl9vZGQEcG9zAzUEc2VjA3lu X2FydGljbGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNhaXJwb3J0d29ya2 U-)online. I wish I could say that I was surprised that this happened. But I am not.

The article is posted below.

Airport worker warned in scanner ogling claim

Wed Mar 24, 2:31 pm ET

LONDON (Reuters) A security worker at London's Heathrow Airport has received a police warning and faces disciplinary action over claims he ogled a female colleague using a full-body scanner, officials said on Wednesday. The 25-year-old worker made lewd comments after his colleague Jo Margetson, 29, mistakenly strayed into the scanner, which can see through clothes to produce an image of the body, the Sun newspaper reported.
The case is believed to be the first of its kind since the full-body scanners were rushed into service at a number of British airports in the wake of an attempt by a suspected Muslim extremist to blow up a plane bound for Detroit on December 25.
They are now being rolled out at airports across the world.
Details of the incident at Heathrow's Terminal 5 on March 10 emerged on the day lawmakers said concerns that the scanners were intrusive had been overblown.
Margetson told the Sun she had been "traumatized" by what had happened and had informed police and her bosses at the airport's operator BAA.
"We treat any allegations of inappropriate behavior or misuse of security equipment very seriously and these claims are being investigated thoroughly," said a spokeswoman for BAA.
"If found to be substantiated, we will take appropriate action."
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said officers had been informed of the allegation and "a first instance harassment warning has been issued to a 25-year-old man."
Opponents of scanners have argued since their introduction that they risked breaching individuals' rights to privacy. Britain's Equality and Human Rights Commission has already said they might be breaking discrimination and privacy laws.
"For every official caught ogling like this, there are plenty more eyeing up law-abiding travelers," Alex Deane, director of the Big Brother Watch campaign group, told the Sun.
"These expensive machines are totally disproportionate."
The government says staff using the machines are properly supervised and would not be able to see the person being scanned. All images are deleted.
Britain's parliamentary Home Affairs Committee said fears about the scanners were misplaced and they should be introduced at a faster pace to deal with the threat of terrorism.
"The Committee is satisfied that the privacy concerns that have been expressed in relation to these devices are overstated and ... should not prevent the deployment of scanners," it said in a report.
(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Steve Addison)

Ravin' Raven
03-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I am assuming this is being made to be a big deal because it used one of the airports scanners. Sorry - ain't buying it. Coworkers ogle and make derogatory comments all the time without the help of a scanner. Strangers do it all the time as well.

I have had inappropriate comments made at work and it didn't involve a scanner. The use of the scanner doesn't make this any more common, or worse, or better, than any other case of workplace behaviour. If someone is going to behave inappropriately, they're going to it with or without the technology. And the technology doesn't drive someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise do.

Stolenhalo6
03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
And the technology doesn't drive someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise do.

I agree with you on this point. But the thing that makes this incident seem even more inapporpriate to me is that the scanners produce images that look pretty near to people being naked. It personally makes me very uncomfortable. Do an image Google of "full body scanner". I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable walking through one of these things infront of completel strangers and I have mild exhibitionist tendencies.

Ysobelle
03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/289492

Apparently, he didn't just look at her, he actually turned the machine on to scan her. That takes this from passive to active harassment, and therein lies the problem. I'd thought somewhere I also read a story about a security person simply snapping a photo of the screen whilst someone was inside the scanner. Gosh, who'd've thought THAT could happen?

I don't like these things. At all. I know too many TSA workers.

Jayde
03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I'd thought somewhere I also read a story about a security person simply snapping a photo of the screen whilst someone was inside the scanner. Gosh, who'd've thought THAT could happen?

Perhaps you are thinking of this (http://www.wench.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90062) thread?

Honestly I have never even been in an airport, let alone been on a plane, but the concept still seems kinda creepy to me.

The 6th Rogue
03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
My office is currently only staffed with guys. Not on purpose or anything but we don't get many women applying for the work we do. The last few women we've had working in our office over the years have set all of us almost into fits of paranoia about the wrong thing said or looking the wrong way at the wrong time. Then again the last two both would go to HR over the drop of a hat. It's such a double edged sword but I do agree that the whole airport scanner thing is being handled badly.

We need to keep the bomb toting nutbags off the planes (and, preferably, someplace they can only blow each other up) and the scanners could serve some purpose but only if used appropriately. Sadly the airport security staff around the world seems to be comprised, at least in part, of assholes that should be doing something else for a living that doesn't involve being around people.

Ysobelle
03-27-2010, 11:28 PM
We need to keep the bomb toting nutbags off the planes (and, preferably, someplace they can only blow each other up) and the scanners could serve some purpose but only if used appropriately. Sadly the airport security staff around the world seems to be comprised, at least in part, of assholes that should be doing something else for a living that doesn't involve being around people.

Well, it doesn't pay a lot, and it doesn't require a degree. Or much intelligence. It's a fairly mindless job. I mean, you're just not going to get a high caliber of applicant for the position. Also, a lot of these people are kids. Mix that all together, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Two months ago, a TSA employee at my airport planted a small bag of white powder in a passenger's carry-on, then grilled her on where it had come from and what it was. She, of course, had no idea, and was completely terrified. He let her stand there and stammer for what she said was the longest minute of her life before he laughed and told her it was just a joke. She, of course, nearly had hysterics. These are also the exact same people who decided to make an elderly man in a wheelchair get out of his chair and walk through the metal detector, despite the fact that there's a special gate, and special procedures, for exactly this kind of situation. While yes, there may have been extenuating circumstances for the man, I'm guessing either they didn't know the special procedures, or were just too damned lazy/overworked/stubborn. This kind of crap happens every day. I see it every day. It just doesn't all get into the papers like those two stories.

The theory behind the full-body scanners might be good-- and I don't think they are, but whatever. But they're never going to be better than the people running them, and that's just bad.

rosefaeries
03-28-2010, 12:51 AM
The theory behind the full-body scanners might be good-- and I don't think they are, but whatever. But they're never going to be better than the people running them, and that's just bad.

That is my concern exactly.

Scanners involved or not, it is inappropriate for coworkers to make inappropriate comments. Ogling, that can be done without the other person being aware of it. And he didn't keep it to himself.

Ravin' Raven
03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
My only point was these cases happen every day. I know someone who found a webcam doing upskirt shots under her desk. It didn't make the news. I think this only made the news because it involved one of the scanners which is a ripe issue du jour....

And 6th, I feel your pain. I've also worked with people who would go to HR at the drop of a hat. Men and women..My problem is I probably go too far the opposite direction myself because it is nearly impossible to offend me (well other than by being annoyingly stupid). In fact I can only remember one issue that really offended me since I started working over 30 years ago. And right in front my boss and my boss's boss I told the idiot that mine were bigger and brassier than his would ever be and if he ever tried to fuck with me again he would very much regret it. There was complete silence...

(he was mad that because the way we were introduced and the way I handled a meeting made it seem as if I were placed higher than he and I needed to remember my place in the organization)

The 6th Rogue
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd say that, as a civilization we need to grow up...but where's the fun in that? Just take out the terrorists then we can all fly to Hawaii with less stress.

Mistress Morigianna
03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I was the one who said on the other thread that they would take phone shots and sell them on ebay.

I am sure this will happen.

People are crazy with cameras and photos- just look on utube.::ike::

I do think that the fact that he did turn on the machine on purpose to see a coworker should get him at least fired and possibley a lawsuit. If they were in a medical office and he peeked in the curtains or looked through two way glass in a changing room. He would be fired.

Selena
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Along the same lines. (http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/TSA-Fracas-After-Body-Scanner-Reveals-TMI-92971929.html)

copy of police repor (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0506101tsa1.html)t on SmokingGun.

Okay folks, when are we, as humans, are going to say enough is enough, here?? THESE ARE THE AGENTS doing this to each other in training!! And what's to prevent them from screwing around with strangers out in the field in real situations? We can't 'get them' on sexual harassment charges!!

Professionals my ass!

I still hate where all of this is going. Hate it!!

edit -- better yet, how many times are we as a whole just going to say, "well, it was just that ONE time." It's rare.... yeahhh...

The 6th Rogue
05-07-2010, 09:59 AM
We just need to stop hiring morons for airport security and all will be well. Problem is that it seems like 85% of the people that apply for the job are morons.

Selena
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
You know, I've been seeing this poor schmuck's mug shot all over the web. I kinda feel sorry for the guy. He has been make a laughing stock all over the world.

But don't you think that if there's one of him, there's plenty more -- who's junk is being shown in a rather virtual strip search way? This is my point. So what's next, a pubic exam??

Eadie
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
My office is currently only staffed with guys. Not on purpose or anything but we don't get many women applying for the work we do. The last few women we've had working in our office over the years have set all of us almost into fits of paranoia about the wrong thing said or looking the wrong way at the wrong time. Then again the last two both would go to HR over the drop of a hat. It's such a double edged sword but I do agree that the whole airport scanner thing is being handled badly.

I work with a bunch of airplane mechanics (I do the accounting) and had to tell one who's about 20 years younger than me that calling a woman he works with Hon was not really a good idea. He was really surprised when I pointed out that many women would be offended, even if I didn't care.