PDA

View Full Version : Don't ignore Symptoms

Lady Hefron
03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I have been in extreme pain for the past three days.

Pain in my left jaw, radiating down my shoulder and arm and up my neck.

These are the classic symptoms of a Heart Attack in Women. I finally went to the ER and the Good news is my Heart is fine. I probably had TMJ.

What frightened me was as soon as they heard my symptoms they slapped an EKG on me and started ruling out Heart Attack. I knew these symptoms, but because of the Fibro I got complacent about the pain. Don't! I was lucky and it wasn't my Heart, but it very well could have been.

Know the signs and don't ignore them.

Vixynne Rose
03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Know the signs and don't ignore them.

Very, VERY good advice. I'm really glad your symptoms weren't heart-related! We all need to be aware of the signs of heart attack, stroke, etc...sometimes while taking care of everyone else in our lives, we forget to listen carefully to our own bodies!

AnnaFaerie
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm glad to hear it wasn't your heart.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bean
03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
I work for a vending company and I see those red hearts on the diet Coke cans every day. What a good reminder to remember what those really stand for.

Ravin' Raven
03-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Please remember that a large percentage of women do not have "classic" heart attack symptoms. Many women experience nausea and severe back pains not the classic elephant on the chest and left arm pain that you see portrayed on television. I had an aquaintance who was sent home with Mylanta and never woke up. My grandmother apparently also made the same mistake. Unfortunately she must have thought she had a stomach problem because when she was found there was pepto all of the floor around her and elsewhere in the house.

Any symptoms that are unusual or severe should not be ignored. It is actually possible to have a heart attack and never even know it as well.

Just wanted to add that in. Glad yours was not bad news Lady H.

MaidenFaeSnow
03-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Oh gosh!! So glad to know it wasn't your heart. ::hug::

lady Amalthea
03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I suffer from PVC and PAC's both which cause irregular heartbeats occasionally. My problem when trying to detirmine anything comes from the fact that I do have TMJ, severe carpel tunnel in both wrists and arms and a rotator cuff problem in my left shoulder. When everything manifested at once I panicked, heart attacks are common in my family. Though none before age 60. I went to the ER and the doctors were telling me that I was too young to worry about my heart(I'm 31) They did do the EKG and other tests, but kept saying I was too young.

Glad to hear your doctors took you more seriously and that everything is fine.

Phoenix McHeit
03-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm so utterly glad your heart is fine!!!!
::bighug::

I'm a bit paranoid about mine - I was taking Vioxx back before it was recalled. Yay. :unamused: No one knows what kind of damage I did to my heart without knowing it. So every twinge has me wondering. Glad you went and got it checked out!

Lady Hefron
03-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Please remember that a large percentage of women do not have "classic" heart attack symptoms. Many women experience nausea and severe back pains not the classic elephant on the chest and left arm pain that you see portrayed on television. I had an aquaintance who was sent home with Mylanta and never woke up. My grandmother apparently also made the same mistake. Unfortunately she must have thought she had a stomach problem because when she was found there was pepto all of the floor around her and elsewhere in the house.

Any symptoms that are unusual or severe should not be ignored. It is actually possible to have a heart attack and never even know it as well.

Just wanted to add that in. Glad yours was not bad news Lady H.

Good point. We all need to be aware of unusual symptoms. We need to take care of ourselves as we take care of others.

Bronya
03-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I am alkso glad it wasn't your heart and that you went and got checked out. We woman sometimes do ignore aches and pains and we really shouldn't!