PDA

View Full Version : Reprehensible Conduct

Phoenix McHeit
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/01/ellsworth.marine.dad/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

The Snyder family lives in my area. I have been following their story for awhile. This is utterly and completely appalling treatment of someone who gave their very life for this country.

The gist of it is this:
1) Lance Cpl Matthew Snyder was killed in 2006.
2) Westboro Baptist (Fred Phelps and his ilk) gave their usual hate-filled dance and shout at his funeral.
3) Matthew Snyder's father sued WBC
4) The Snyders won an $11 million judgment.
5) WBC appealed.
6) Judgment was reduced to $5 mil once, then completely overturned this week.
7) The Snyders are waiting to have their case heard by the Supreme Court
8) Perhaps the most egregious of all - the appeals court has ordered the Snyders to pay $16,000 in court costs to WBC.

"Thanks for your service, glad you were there to help defend us, sorry you're dead and all - but we're not gonna stand up for you."

Unconscionable. Hurry up, Supreme Court.

The 6th Rogue
04-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Why, oh why, aren't there more drive by shootings of that church group's members? Not so much "by" but "at?" I know it's supposed to be bad magic to wish ill on others but wishing ill on those who already have wished ill repeatedly can't so much fit into the "two wrongs" equation, can it?

renren
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Grrrrr...

Bean
04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Someplace someone has a donation site to help them pay the court fees. I think WBAL in Baltimore has a link.

Tink
04-01-2010, 07:12 PM
The WBC are such good Christians. I'm sure they'll all go straight to Heaven, where hopefully St Pete will say, "Gee, there seems to have been a mix-up, you are supposed to go straight to Hell. Have a nice trip down."

Lady Anne
04-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Bill O'Reilly has said he will pay the entire $16,500 cost for the family. Also, I heard that the American Legion is also trying to help the Snyders.

Anyone in the military has written a check out to the government "up to and including my life" to pay the cost of freedom. This is the thanks they get? Protesters at funerals for Pete's sake! :censored:

*deep breath...count to 10...repeat*

When we had a funeral for a fallen Marine in the Gettysburg area, there was a call out to all members of the A.L, Marine Corps League, and VFW to form a human "fence" around the family if necessary. Thank heaven is wasn't necessary. The McColley family was grateful we were there just in case...its bad enough you're about to bury your son, but then to have to worry about assholes spouting their political (religious?!) views while you are trying to mourn?

*deep breath...count to 10....aw, hell, it ain't working!*

Lady Hefron
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Unbelievable. I have no words that will express my outrage and disgust at this.

Gemdrite
04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
It just amazes me how, with all the church bombings that have occured in the last few years, WBC managed to get missed. Seriously, where's the karma? My only hope is that they are building up such a massive pile of bad karma that it wipes the whole lot of them out at once.

What can I say, I'm a bad Christian, lol.

Isabelle Warwicke
04-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Anyone have that donation link handy.

I'm gonna wage war with my checkbook.

shadowcat546
04-02-2010, 01:40 AM
sorry to read that this has happened. hope the serviceperson's family wins the court case (and the church gets lots of bad karma)

www.wbaltv.com (http://www.wbaltv.com) wbal tv in baltimore maryland (i only did a google search). American Legion (http://www.legion.org/) - www.legion.org (http://www.legion.org) 125 York Road, Baltimore - (410) 823-8030

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_520669.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_520669.html)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/matthew-a-snyder

hope their (snyder) easter goes more smoothly. --Shan

Lady Anne
04-04-2010, 01:27 PM
There is also a website set up to help the family at MatthewSnyder.org (http://www.matthewsnyder.org/).

Lets show these people that they can't treat our military and their families this way! (Personally...I think the judge that made this decision should be held accountable too!)

Roberto Phoenix
04-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe its time to break out those glitter balloons. How long ago was the post and yet these idiots are still allowed to continue. Gunn high school handled it pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEiwBCpiA0E

The 6th Rogue
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Sweet. The more they make those assholes look like a moronic minority (which they are) to the world media the better.

Lady Hefron
04-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Damn, those kids brought tears to my eyes. Gives me hope for the next generation.

Sandina
04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I think Dennis Miller is going to pitch in with court costs

Mistress Morigianna
04-06-2010, 11:05 PM
can we invite those kids to Missisippi?

daBaroness
05-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Here's the problem with Phelps and his "church." While they're complete whack-jobs and we're absolutely repulsed by their philosophies and conduct - they're not stupid. "Reverend" Phelps himself is a disbarred attorney, and a number of his children (who make up most of his congregation) are as attorneys as well. They always plan their "events" with great care so as to produce the most shock and horror to we truly good people, while operating just inside the law - enabling them to win legal victories against the very people they're terrorizing.

This is their life - they don't have to put everything on hold to litigate - they live to litigate. It's part of their terror tactics. My personal wish is that some brilliant civil rights attorneys accustomed to going before the Supreme Court of the U.S. could figure out a way to declare them domestic terrorists and put a legal stop to their misguided efforts.

In reality - I've said it many times before - because we in Kansas and the local region of KC and Topeka have been dealing with this jerk for some 25 years now - is to ignore him. Completely and utterly. No media coverage. No litigation. Not a word. That's the way we ultimately win. The reason Westboro "Church" doesn't do anything local anymore is because they ceased riling people up here - they became invisible so they took their campaign of hate elsewhere.

I know it's difficult - but ignoring them is probably the only thing that will make them go away.

Marelle
05-02-2010, 03:00 AM
My friend's son died overseas on a routine policing activity in 2006. The service was held in a very small town here in TX. They found out about the service and had their signs, the yelling and all the BS that goes along with their nonsense. Thankfully, we also had the Freedom Riders there as well. They helped to make sure the idiots stayed on their side of the street and did not interrupt the service.

Stolenhalo6
05-02-2010, 03:18 AM
My friend's son died overseas on a routine policing activity in 2006. The service was held in a very small town here in TX. They found out about the service and had their signs, the yelling and all the BS that goes along with their nonsense. Thankfully, we also had the Freedom Riders there as well. They helped to make sure the idiots stayed on their side of the street and did not interrupt the service.

The Freedom Riders are amazing. I have friends who ride with a group up here in MN. I would seriously recommend that every family who is burring a service member should just call the riders in advance. They are always willing to show up and support the families.

Lady Hefron
05-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Here's the problem with Phelps and his "church." While they're complete whack-jobs and we're absolutely repulsed by their philosophies and conduct - they're not stupid. "Reverend" Phelps himself is a disbarred attorney, and a number of his children (who make up most of his congregation) are as attorneys as well. They always plan their "events" with great care so as to produce the most shock and horror to we truly good people, while operating just inside the law - enabling them to win legal victories against the very people they're terrorizing.

This is their life - they don't have to put everything on hold to litigate - they live to litigate. It's part of their terror tactics. My personal wish is that some brilliant civil rights attorneys accustomed to going before the Supreme Court of the U.S. could figure out a way to declare them domestic terrorists and put a legal stop to their misguided efforts.

In reality - I've said it many times before - because we in Kansas and the local region of KC and Topeka have been dealing with this jerk for some 25 years now - is to ignore him. Completely and utterly. No media coverage. No litigation. Not a word. That's the way we ultimately win. The reason Westboro "Church" doesn't do anything local anymore is because they ceased riling people up here - they became invisible so they took their campaign of hate elsewhere.

I know it's difficult - but ignoring them is probably the only thing that will make them go away.

You are probably right. They just make it so hard. They are a disgrace to decent people.

I wonder what would happen if they showed up to pitch some of their hate and no one reacted. I would love to see a video of that.

Isabelle Warwicke
05-03-2010, 02:37 AM
So forget legal court. Hit them with civil cases.

Oh, I forgot, all they have is money, time and lawyers in their own family.

Here's hoping Karma and God are having a conversation in the near future.

Until then, sign the petition to revoke their tax-exempt status (http://www.wench.org/forums/showthread.php?p=392353#post392353).

Isabelle Warwicke
05-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Anyone in Nashville want to go to a counter-protest?

Here. (http://www.facebook.com/RevokeWBCStatus#!/event.php?eid=122685611075147&ref=mf)

daBaroness
05-03-2010, 04:14 AM
You are probably right. They just make it so hard. They are a disgrace to decent people.

I wonder what would happen if they showed up to pitch some of their hate and no one reacted. I would love to see a video of that.

They leave because they can't achieve their goal. They're absolutely the face of evil on Earth as far as I'm concerned. People have tried everything from litigation to counter protests to trying to talk to them as part of an intelligent dialogue and they won't have any of it. I'm convinced the whole gay issue isn't really even on their radar - it's the pure love and sense of sick power they get from their vile, unconscionable actions.

I think Fred Phelps is on an even, evil par with Adolph Hitler. And like Hitler, there are plenty of rumors about what a sick perverted bastard he is - including questions surrounding whether his grandchildren are also his children. He rules his church (most of the congregation is related to him in some way) with an iron fist and I'll bet after the old bastard dies, members of his family will come out with the truth about him.

Can't be fast enough for me ... his death that is.