PDA

View Full Version : Paddling brought back by popular demand in Texas Town

Conall Crow
04-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Found this one Yahoo News and thought I would share it with everyone...

Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/15/AR2010041505964.html?g=0

Stolenhalo6
04-17-2010, 01:53 AM
For or against paddling aside, I wonder how parents would feel about paddling if they were paddled now as adults for misbehaivor? Talk back to your boss, that's a paddling. Late to work, that's a paddling. Just curious.

Thistle
04-17-2010, 04:26 AM
For or against paddling aside, I wonder how parents would feel about paddling if they were paddled now as adults for misbehaivor? Talk back to your boss, that's a paddling. Late to work, that's a paddling. Just curious.

depends on the boss. There are those who might be late on purpose for a good paddling!

Phoenix McHeit
04-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Personally I think it's about time. With rules in place as to time, place, who may administer, how many, etc, I think it could be a useful tool for maintaining discipline in schools.

Adriana Rose
04-17-2010, 01:27 PM
It didn't hurt my moms generation, and my generation seems to be fine (though I wonder sometimes).

Ravin' Raven
04-17-2010, 10:05 PM

We do...just using a different tool. Haven't ever had a boss deride you in front of others? Same thing, slightly different tack. it is still a mechanism by which a painfully inflicted action creates a response in the recipient.

I also say it's about time. They paddled in my school district until about 20 years ago and with as bratty as many kids are these days I know many who need a good paddling. (well they need some parenting as well but that's a whole different thread....)

Lady Hefron
04-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm in favor of this, but I think we have to be very careful. Make sure that it is being administered fairly and without malice. It does seem to be working.

KissMeKate
04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
We do...just using a different tool. Haven't ever had a boss deride you in front of others? Same thing, slightly different tack. it is still a mechanism by which a painfully inflicted action creates a response in the recipient.

Yep, emotional pain versus physical pain - or humiliation, depending on your views. :yuck:

I personally find the carrot method to be much more effective than the stick.

Sorcha Griannon
04-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I have no problem with paddling...if done correctly, and in moderation. My kids get time-outs, but there is some times a swat on the butt works better (and thankfully, it's a very rare thing)

Sorcha

Gemdrite
04-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Yep, emotional pain versus physical pain - or humiliation, depending on your views. :yuck:

I personally find the carrot method to be much more effective than the stick.
For most people, that's effective. For some, they couldn't care less what the attention is, good or bad, as long as it's attention. Sometimes, a bit of pain is the only deterent. I have one student where I've tried everything, rewards, time-outs, extra work, special privileges, notes home, conferences with parents...he has not changed one iota. He hits the other kids and thinks it's playing tag. It would be fitting to show him the pain he is causing other students. I suspect we wouldn't have nearly as many issues with him.

Margaret
04-23-2010, 07:42 AM
The statement "Spare the rod and spoil the child" has not been around for centuries for nothing.

I'm also in the same boat as I'ts about time. If the parents object to this occuring, there's schools of choice. We had the paddle in school too. Don't recall it ever getting used much, but when it did - you knew someone had been really bad.

The 6th Rogue
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
"Since paddling was brought back to the city's 14 schools by a unanimous board vote in May, behavior at Temple's single high school has changed dramatically, Wright said, even though only one student in the school system has been paddled."

Sums it all up for me nicely right there. I've always said there are only two ways to elicit a requested response in others: respect or fear. Since it was obvious that the children had no respect they needed to be brought back to a more productive path by being in fear of a very real punishment. Sad but that's how the human animal works.

I admit this is something that could be very much over done but if it's the only thing that works and it's the last option before something more severe like juvie, lock down schools or even worse like the morgue I say go for it. I'm trying to raise my son to be respectful and also to have enough perception to differentiate between good and bad behavior and the reasons why which would be a justified action but there are times when a person needs to get their reset button hit. My son's only needed a swat on the behind twice so far and that was at the end of a long string of reasoning, explanation and smacks on the hand but since then he hasn't reached for anything on the stove or tried to open the oven. I won't have him go through the pain I did of a badly burnt palm so if I have to resort to dissuading him with a swat because all the reasoning in the world and lighter punishments have been tried and failed I have no choice. Looks like that Texas town felt they were in the same position.

Selena
04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Interestingly enough, this is in Temple... a mere few miles from Ft Hood. A LOT of military families lives here.

I just find it interesting it takes a military minded town to reinstate this. I wonder if the Temple ISD is governed by ex-military folk. ? just a thought.

daBaroness
05-02-2010, 01:42 AM
We used to call the principal's paddle "The Board of Education." And it worked. It wasn't doled out lightly, it was witnessed by a number of people and it was metted out equally without malice. I know a number of people who send their kids to private religious schools BECAUSE they practice corporal punishment. And one of my long-time English friends went to public (private) choir school where violations in code and behavior were met with "10 of the best." Ten of the best meant you got whacked on your backside, HARD, with an oak paddle in front of classmates. He said it cured him of his irreverence.