PDA

View Full Version : facebook group

renstyles
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I had two high school friends become fans of this facebook group and I am feeling really uncomfortable about it. Am I wrong in thinking this is praying for Obama to die? I get that it has a joke mentality about it, but it seems so wrong on so many levels.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/DEAR-LORD-THIS-YEAR-YOU-TOOK-MY-FAVORITE-ACTOR-PATRICK-SWAYZIE-YOU-TOOK-MY-FAVORITE-ACTRESS-FARAH-FAWCETT-YOU-TOOK-MY-FAVORITE-SINGER-MICHAEL-JACKSON-I-JUST-WANTED-TO-LET-YOU-KNOW-MY-FAVORITE-PRESIDENT-IS-BARACK-OBAMA-AMEN/111712585523370?ref=nf (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/DEAR-LORD-THIS-YEAR-YOU-TOOK-MY-FAVORITE-ACTOR-PATRICK-SWAYZIE-YOU-TOOK-MY-FAVORITE-ACTRESS-FARAH-FAWCETT-YOU-TOOK-MY-FAVORITE-SINGER-MICHAEL-JACKSON-I-JUST-WANTED-TO-LET-YOU-KNOW-MY-FAVORITE-PRESIDENT-IS-BARACK-OBAMA-AMEN/111712585523370?ref=nf)

And yes I like Obama, but I be would also be uncomfortable with this if it was about Bush as well.

Madame Deanna
04-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I feel as you do. It doesn't matter what anyone's personal opinion is, it is very negative and disrespectful to whomever they would have listed.

Gemdrite
04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I've had friends join that too, and it annoys the heck out of me. You don't like Obama, fine. But to wish someone dead? That's just plain disgusting. I'm so annoyed with both sides of the political spectrum. Does anybody know how to be respectful anymore, even if you don't necessarily like the person?

Ysobelle
04-21-2010, 06:11 PM
I had someone on my list do that. You bet your ass I called her on it. I raged about Bush's policies left, right, and center, but never ONCE did I joke about G-d-- or anyone else-- killing him. And yes, that's exactly what this is doing: praying for Obama to die.

Sometimes, I think the thing Facebook is best at is exposing ugly things about people that we never needed to know.

Jamianne
04-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I've seen this posted as a status. I agree - it is horribly disrespectful. It's one thing to not like someone, but to publicly wish them dead crosses a line in my book- no matter who it is.

Gwen
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
I believe this started in north Jersey when a high ranking politician (I think it was an education politician) had put that in a memo as a joke but it was the new governor of new jersey, not the President. It maded it on the news. I thought it was tacky thenand still do. No matter whose name is in it v

Ysobelle
04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Remember, you can always report the page.

Phoenix McHeit
04-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Remember, you can always report the page.

For what? Being mean? Sorry, but if making an abysmally bad-taste joke was against the law, the jails would be full of stand-up comedians.

It says more about the people who join the group, than it does of the originator.

Bean
04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Depending on who it's reported to, it could be seen as a threat to the President. The last time I checked, the Secret Service doesn't take too kindly to those.

Margaret
04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah - but how many times have we all said - or written in an email or text;

OMG! I am going to strangle her when I see her next! or I am so mad I am just going to KILL him.

Is it the most mature or sensible title of a group? Naw. However, as Phee said, what are you going to say?

Bean
04-21-2010, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine posted this as his status and I said it wasn't cool and that even if you don't like the man, respect the office. We'll see what he says.

And Mags, I don't know about the legality of saying things like that about your average citizen, but I do know it's illegal to threaten the President.

Margaret
04-21-2010, 08:57 PM
And Mags, I don't know about the legality of saying things like that about your average citizen, but I do know it's illegal to threaten the President.

True enough dat. However, as infantile as the title of the group is, saying "I wish he'd die like the rest of them." isn't the same thing as "I am going to kill him"

Bean
04-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah, you have a point there. I wonder if the Secret Service splits hairs like that..... It would be funny to have the creator of that page investigated by them. Or at least have the living crap scared out of them.

I had the chance to deal with the Secret Service years ago. Those people are scary. They don't look at you when they talk to you, and no matter how well the suits are tailored, you can still see the holster under the jackets. And they are all so darned TALL!

Lady Hefron
04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
It's in very bad taste. I don't know if you can stretch it into a threat against the President, but it is without a doubt in bad taste.

renstyles
04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't like the threat part. But for me it's not just the threat but the prayer part of it. Dear Lord please let this person die, now, thanks. It seems like it goes against the very idea of what you would say to God. Would this joke still be funny if it wasn't Obama but someone in close in their lives? Knowing that someone was praying, asking God, for them to die, even only as a joke.

Magdalene
04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Given that a friend of mine died last night unexpectedly at the age of 26, I'm not in the mood for 'jokes' such as these at the moment.

I basically posted a big "F-U" to those of my 'friends' who put this on their 'likes' thing. One of them removed it and did a massive apology, saying that it was in poor taste.

Tomorrow, I expect I will be deleting several friends. I don't care if they say, "I want Obama out of office,"--okay, I disagree, but that's well within their rights. Wishing anybody dead right now is a sore point with me.

As much as I despise Sarah Palin, I don't want her dead over her political views.

I'm really in a foul mood.

LdyJhawk
04-21-2010, 11:09 PM
and from this group spawned "Jesus is not your personal hitman"

Lady Hefron
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Given that a friend of mine died last night unexpectedly at the age of 26, I'm not in the mood for 'jokes' such as these at the moment.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always hard when a good friend dies and when they are so young. Prayers for you and your friend's family.

Madame Deanna
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Magdalene - I am sending you strength and comfort.

Gemdrite
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Technically, the group doesn't fall under any categories for reporting. The closest it comes is a direct call for harm, but since the "direct call" is to God, I'm not sure it qualifies. In any event, I posted as my status this morning (after seeing yet another "freind" join the page) that I was amazed at how many "Christians" were joining this page, and asking why people think that that is a Christian attitude and if they think God is their personal hitman. I've gotten quite a few replies from friends agreeing with me, and of all the "friends" that had joined that page, there is only one that is still a fan of it. And it's entirely possible that that person simply hasn't been on Facebook since then.

I've been rereading the Little House on the Prairie books lately, and I'm just astounded at the change in attitudes over the last (relatively short) 100 years.

DameGoode
04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Dear Lord, LAST year, you took Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson. **This year, please help those who pray for the deaths of others to understand this behavior is not productive, not funny, and definitely not in line with any main line religion I am aware of.** Thank you for Spring. Amen

Gemdrite
04-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Dear Lord, LAST year, you took Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson. **This year, please help those who pray for the deaths of others to understand this behavior is not productive, not funny, and definitely not in line with any main line religion I am aware of.** Thank you for Spring. Amen

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DameGoode again.

I love it!

Gellis Indigo
04-24-2010, 07:31 AM
I love it!

I took care of the rep points for you!

renstyles
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
So did I ::clappin:

Azura
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I did, too. :p

Theophilous
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Who do they WANT as president? Joe Biden?

My God protect the country from THAT particular fate.