PDA

View Full Version : The terrorists win, again.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-23-2010, 02:05 AM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/south-park-episode-is-altered-after-muslim-groups-warning/?ref=television

Jayde
04-23-2010, 02:23 AM
that sucks :(

but at the same time....is it weird of me to be kind of irked when people see or hear the term Muslim...and their first thought is "terrorist"? Not all Muslims are terrorists, I have a friend who is Muslim.

but back to the actual subject...I don't see why this group feels they should be special. SP depicts (and probably mocks) icons of Christianity (and probably a few other) religions all the time...you on't see the pope crying on his blog about it...

The 6th Rogue
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
The group that issued that threat should be rounded up by the police, held without bail and put on trial for attempted murder since that's what their threats imply and have detectives back research the picture they showed of the decapitated person for culpability to add to their potential prison sentences. I'm sure the gen pop in prison will eat them alive in revenge for 9/11.

Mistress_Autumn
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't see why this group feels they should be special. SP depicts (and probably mocks) icons of Christianity (and probably a few other) religions all the time...you don't see the pope crying on his blog about it...
Christianity (and it's many sects), Judaism, Buddhism, Taoism, and -all- religions major and minor... Also whites, blacks, Hispanics in general and Mexicans in particular, Canadians, Americans, Germans, French, Italians, Mongolians, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Africans...even ALIENS!!! I'm hard-pressed to come up with -any- group or type of people that South Park hasn't poked fun at in one way or another over the years.

And yet... THIS TIME they censor the show????

Damn. I'm speechless.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
but at the same time....is it weird of me to be kind of irked when people see or hear the term Muslim...and their first thought is "terrorist"? Not all Muslims are terrorists, I have a friend who is Muslim.

I'm not using the word terrorist because they are Muslim. I'm using the word terrorist because they posted thinly veiled death threats on their website, along with a picture of filmmaker Theo van Gogh (who was murdered by a muslim extremist for his percieved blasphemy) lying dead in the street with his throat slit and a dagger sticking out of his chest.

A group of people used fear and intimidation through threats of violence to force a public entity to bend to their political will. If that doesn't fit your definition of "terrorist", I would suggest that you invest in a better dictionary.

I'm sure your Muslim friend is a very nice boy. I'm not talking about him. I'm not sure why you think I was.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Christianity (and it's many sects), Judaism, Buddhism, Taoism, and -all- religions major and minor... Also whites, blacks, Hispanics in general and Mexicans in particular, Canadians, Americans, Germans, French, Italians, Mongolians, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Africans...even ALIENS!!! I'm hard-pressed to come up with -any- group or type of people that South Park hasn't poked fun at in one way or another over the years.

And yet... THIS TIME they censor the show????

Yeah, but none of those other groups go around killing people who offend them.

(Well, except maybe for christians, but Comedy Central never tried to abort any fetuses, so they're safe from them.)

Selena
04-23-2010, 10:53 PM

(Well, except maybe for christians, but Comedy Central never tried to abort any fetuses, so they're safe from them.)

Oh, I dunno. Ever pissed off a Canadian?? They are a down right scary bunch if you wanna get all technical and shit!

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/dr-evil-1.jpg

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Jon Stewart weighs in.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-22-2010/south-park-death-threats

(I'm shocked the pussies at Comedy Central headquarters let him!)

Mistress_Autumn
04-24-2010, 01:47 AM

IRA, KKK, Taliban.... Yeah. They have. Many times.

(And aborted fetuses and stem cell research have both been features of South Park in the past.)

Ysobelle
04-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Jon Stewart weighs in.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-22-2010/south-park-death-threats

(I'm shocked the pussies at Comedy Central headquarters let him!)

...which makes more sense when you see the context of the skit he's partly reprising:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-april-20-2010/bernie-goldberg-fires-back

I love this man so much. Our most important Jew! (Though I have to say my fam's pretty much up there, too.)

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
IRA, KKK, Taliban.... Yeah. They have. Many times.

Fair point. They don't have a much of a track record of going after cartoonists specifically, though.

But I don't know if that makes them better or just lazy.

(And aborted fetuses and stem cell research have both been features of South Park in the past.)
Yeah, but they didn't perform any actual abortions themselves. That appears to be the line one must cross before one gets firebombed by the christians. I guess that's their way of being "reasonable". :-D

Isabelle Warwicke
04-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I think that scaling back right now and bringing it back out after the Fatwa has had time to cool off isn't a terrible idea.

Theo VanGogh's death was horrific and they hunted him down to get at him. I'm not suprised that being threatened with a death like his makes anyone nervous. Remember the Dutch cartoonist who drew Mohammed with a turbanbomb on his head? Has anyone seen or heard from him since? No? Hmmm.

The extremists are UNREASONABLE. There is no way to discuss this with them. Islam is a faith of unfailing loyalty and to question is to go against the teaching of Mohammed and is punishable in a myriad of horrifying ways.

When the bastards post the address of the company on their website and call for a Fatwa on the heads of the creators, I'm not suprised that their first reaction is fear. Let's see what their next reaction is. They might bite back in other ways.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Ok, so lets just hand over the right to dictate all our television content to a bunch of douchebags who issue fatwas. Because that's what your "not so terrible" idea has as its end result. So anytime anyone does something that displeeses some fucktard with a turban and a website, all they have to do is issue a fatwa and it will go away? Fuck that shit.

The extremists are UNREASONABLE. There is no way to discuss this with them.

Who said anything about discussion? Discuss nothing, just air your program and when they come to kill you, kill those fuckers yourself first.

We do not negotiate with nor aquiesce to terrorists. Well, once upon a time anyway.

Here:

http://fredfred.net/skriker/images/fred/2006/other/muhammad_vs_jesus/m6.jpg

If there's any scumbag out there who wants to issue a Fatwa on me, they are more then welcome to come over here and tongue my rectum. Just give me some notice so I can eat some mexican food first.

"Go fuck yourselves." --Jon Stewart

Isabelle Warwicke
04-25-2010, 03:01 AM
, they are more then welcome to come over here and tongue my rectum. Just give me some notice so I can eat some mexican food first.

"Go fuck yourselves." --Jon Stewart

I'm waiting to see what the South Park guys do once this blows over. If I were them, I'd have something retaliatory up my sleeve.

I totally agree with you about being strong. I'd love to see South Park come out with another episode. I just don't honestly see it happening for some time.

Ysobelle
04-25-2010, 05:23 AM
The extremists are UNREASONABLE. There is no way to discuss this with them. Islam is a faith of unfailing loyalty and to question is to go against the teaching of Mohammed and is punishable in a myriad of horrifying ways.

I think it's important to make the distinction that questioning Islam is horrifically punishable to extremists, not to all Muslims. As far as I know, Islam, like Judaism, prizes debate and scholarship. For, you know, reasonable people.

Ravin' Raven
04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I think it's important to make the distinction that questioning Islam is horrifically punishable to extremists, not to all Muslims. As far as I know, Islam, like Judaism, prizes debate and scholarship. For, you know, reasonable people.

When I was studying both Islam and Judasim I did find this to be true. Granted the population of Muslims with whom I had interactions were younger and bit more "modern" in their thinking and limited in number. It's always a shame when the most negative element of any group start to define that group.

The 6th Rogue
04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
"If someone tries to kill you then you try and kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds.

Truer words were never spoken.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-marbella-south-park-20100425,0,7781624.story

It's not even that the terrorists have won, it's that wannabe terrorists have won.

A group called Revolution Muslim, which by most accounts seems less a terrorist cell than, metaphorically speaking, a couple of guys living in their parents' basements, managed to scare Comedy Central this week into censoring South Park for mocking their religion, or rather, the ban in some quarters of depictions of the prophet Muhammed.

The Anti-Defamation League, which has tracked the New York-based Revolution Muslim, says the group has no more than about a dozen members, is known mainly for spouting anti-Semitism, handing out pamphlets on the sidewalks of New York and picketing mosques that it thinks aren't radical enough. The founders are converts to Islam, including one who previously was Jewish and associated with a group called, no joke, Jews for Allah.

I know: How do you parody something that's already self-parody?

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
The douchbags' website got hacked quite beautifully:

Here's what the front page of www.revolutionislam.com looks like now:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/160074/SUCK-IT-CREEPS.jpg

*rotfl*

Selena
04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
The douchbags' website got hacked quite beautifully:

http://blog.miragestudio7.com/wp-content/uploads2/2009/05/simpson_ha_ha_architect_job_architecture_salary.jp g

The 6th Rogue
04-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweet!

Emmaline Love
04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
"If someone tries to kill you then you try and kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds.

Truer words were never spoken.

Oh captain, my captain... mal does know how to stir a pot and still come out breathing... perhaps we should take more advice from fictional characters, after all this entire debacle is over a 100% fictitious show that has NO credibility with or influence over polititians... just the already mind numbed public who will, most likely, form more negative opinions from the threatening response than from the show itself

The 6th Rogue
04-26-2010, 05:27 PM
"People are sheep; that's why I call them 'sheeple.'" - Stiles, the First Wolf of the IBRSC.