PDA

View Full Version : Watch out- your personal info for anyone to see :(

Kyrera
05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone,
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, so I'm cross-posting it.

"This is totally sketchy---There's a site called Spokeo dot com that's a new online phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, etc. You can remove yourself. First search for yourself on their site to find the URL of your page, then go to the Privacy button on the bottom of their page to remove yourself."

(Although I would like to see the $1mil+ house I apparently live in)

Andreadoria
05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I saw this and asked to be removed ... they had me as Latino...I am of Italian descent... that i have children and sooo much more.

They removed me

Emmaline Love
05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I just searched myself under both my full and nickname and I was no where to be found... If you have your facebook profile on the right security settings you should be safe... but definately check

Kathryn Blakeley
05-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Check it out on snopes - http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/spokeo.asp

Andreadoria
05-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I just searched myself under both my full and nickname and I was no where to be found... If you have your facebook profile on the right security settings you should be safe... but definately check

Has nothing to do with facebook someone posted it there...I was listed. I guess it has to do with home ownership???

Kyrera
05-04-2010, 05:04 PM
My mom goes out of her way to stay anonymous, no phonebook listings, no social networking of any kind... nothing and it had all of her info on there, full address and everything. She doesn't even get magazine subscriptions.

Thanks for the snopes link, too.

Buxom Wench
05-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey everyone,
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, so I'm cross-posting it.

"This is totally sketchy---There's a site called Spokeo dot com that's a new online phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, etc. You can remove yourself. First search for yourself on their site to find the URL of your page, then go to the Privacy button on the bottom of their page to remove yourself."

(Although I would like to see the $1mil+ house I apparently live in)

I can't find the way to get to "my page".
Any ideas?

Nevermind. All done.

Kyrera
05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I can't find the way to get to "my page".
Any ideas?

There is a chance you may not be listed. My boss wasn't but her husband and one of her daughters were.

Cupcake
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I looked myself up, just to see. Apparently, there is another person with my name (albiet different middle names) but her dad also has the same name as my dad (but a different middle name.) The good news? They don't live in the same state as I do. But, her $1 mil house is in a questionable neighborhood. Oh, and she's Asian?

And, since I know that if you have this last name, you are related to me somehow (it's an Americanized French name) I do find the "other version of me" slightly amusing.

Emmaline Love
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Has nothing to do with facebook someone posted it there...I was listed. I guess it has to do with home ownership???

maybe? none of my friends found themselves either and we're all in college and have no credit or homes in our names

Kathryn Blakeley
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
maybe? none of my friends found themselves either and we're all in college and have no credit or homes in our names

I am in the same boat but I did find myself.

Buxom Wench
05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
I found myself and the map took me to my front door. :shock:

Andreadoria
05-04-2010, 05:42 PM

I think that is it ...my Bf is listed on his mothers lease...so I think being id to a place of residence is the issue.

Phoenix McHeit
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
My mom goes out of her way to stay anonymous, no phonebook listings, no social networking of any kind... nothing and it had all of her info on there, full address and everything.

This is me. I try to stay as anonymous as I can. No FB, no LJ, etc. Very few people even know my real name.

But I was on there, with an accurate map of my neighborhood. Joy. :unamused:

moiradochartaigh
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
At least they take your listing off pretty quickly... but I'll be checking back every few months to make sure it stays off the site.

BTW -- a lot of my info was incorrect as well.

Buxom Wench
05-04-2010, 07:08 PM
If you don't find your name, keep checking.
There were 13 lisitings for my name when I first went on.
AFTER I removed my lisiting, there were still 13 with a new one replacing my removed listing.

ShadowHawke
05-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I wonder if, when you remove your name from the list, if the person looking for you is a subscriber can they still find your info??? How many here are members on the site, that can awswer that? For the general viewing public we have removed our names, but for registered members are we still there???

- ShadowHawke -

Lady Anne
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey...seems I also live in a $1M home too! My listing was under my maiden name...which I haven't used in over 2 years now, but I removed the listing anyway. A little too much information there, most of it is inaccurate, but enough is TOO accurate for my comfort. :unamused:

LdyJhawk
05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
*shrug* This information is just being compiled from a bunch of other websites so unless you can cut off every source it's still out there..whether spokeo has it or not.

Selena
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Read the last line of the snopes report. Could they be harvesting email addresses?? Something to think about.

Andreadoria
05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Read the last line of the snopes report. Could they be harvesting email addresses?? Something to think about.

You know I never thought about it. Food for thought

Ysobelle
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Actually, I think it's a set-up for the supposed privacy service they offer. You notice they conspicuously place the ad for the pay service.

I requested to be removed, and never got a response. Suppose I should check to see if I'm still there.

Isabelle Warwicke
05-05-2010, 01:44 AM
I got my name removed. Twice. They had me in my current address and at my parents address.

Now if I could just get my name off pipl.com

Gemdrite
05-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, they had my name on there twice for two different addys, and I got them both removed. They had me married to my father, with children, in a house I haven't lived in in years. It hadn't caught up with my move to Cali though.

Phoenix McHeit
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Yup that's what I thought - which is why I gave them my ok-to-spam-this-one address. It's my catch-all.

AnnaFaerie
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Yup that's what I thought - which is why I gave them my ok-to-spam-this-one address. It's my catch-all.

That's what I did too.

Kyrera
05-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Aye, this is what I did too, gave it my junk account :toocool:

Conall Crow
05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Found about 8 different people with my name. Two were me, one listing me at my father's home in another state I have only visited. And one with my current address which I will soon be moving out of anyway. Wonder if I check back in a couple months, I will pop back up with the new address??

Eadie
05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
They got the SO bizarrely wrong - he is so not african-american. He hasn't lived with his father since the '70's (we're in our 50's) and the address is in the right city but not one either he or his father have ever lived in. And like me he is listed with no children - wrong!

I think they may harvest from multiple sources, and not leases in this area at least, or they would have had our right address. And not business licenses either - they had no address for either business email. The only address they had for me was good in 2005, and everything else on that page was wrong. But we are not on facebook or myspace or live journal or anything else. I am on linkedin for professional reasons, but minimal info there right now (not job hunting). And we have no photos stored online either. Maybe they get the house stuff from county websites?

And, interestingly, they had my name attached to ALL the emails on our comcast account (in my name) but no names attached to the emails on our website for the business. But my programmer son said he set those up so that they were somehow more protected or something.

Definitely an advertisement for not giving any real info on the web.....

RedFox
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Only found myself listed once, but my siblings and parents are listed as well - going to tell them asap

The 6th Rogue
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Privacy is so totally dead.

The 6th Rogue
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
HAH! They have some alternate universe version of me listed as a black single male in his mid 30's. I'm married with a kid, white and no longer at the address they list. I think I'll have to kill listing anyway.

Since they have a sort of questionable way of killing entries according to Snopes I may just start randomly demanding deletions of them when I'm bored. Should be fun.

Kyrera
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Since they have a sort of questionable way of killing entries according to Snopes I may just start randomly demanding deletions of them when I'm bored. Should be fun.

That's awesome