PDA

View Full Version : Things you know and wish others did too.....a learning and sharing thread aka GRIPES!

Pages : [1] 2

Tink
05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I work in a building with automatic flush toilets, that don't always work. However I do know that all these type of toilets have a button on them to manually flush. I didn't need to be told this either, just made a logical deduction years ago that there has to be a manual way to flush the damn things when the auto feature doesn't work.

I wish others knew about the manual button too, so *I* didn't have to enter a non-flushed toilet stall, see a mess and push the freaking button for them. All I can assume is that these people don't know about the button...of course they may just be lazy or rude too, BUT I am trying to reserve judgment and just assume that this is not a common knowledge bit of info and so I am sharing it.

So what bit of uncommon knowledge do you possess that might help educate others?

Lady Sarah
05-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Uncommon knowledge? I'm sure I do, but it's escaping me at the moment.

Gripes? Plenty.

Dog walkers... when you're walking Fluffy or Fido, and they stop to do their business on someone else's lawn, have the courtesy to pick that shit up. Literally. I've found that the same people who'll raise an unholy stink about someone doing that to their neatly manicured lawn are the same ones who'll let their precious pooch foul someone else's lawn. Really?

Public Bathrooms. Tink, I'll see your 'failure to flush automatic toilets manually' and raise you 'inability to flush any toilet, manual or auto'. Seriously. I work in a retail store in the mall... so, naturally, anyone in the mall is allowed to use the toilets. We don't hide them, but we don't advertise them. Kind of as a result of being an information booth at Faire ("Excuse me, where are the privvies?"), I've gotten used to customers asking, "Do you have a restroom?". What I find repulsive is going into the bathroom on my much needed potty break and having to spend an extra 10 minutes cleaning up after everyone else that's decided they suddenly lack the will power to lift their foot and push the lever. I won't go into the messes left ON the toilet seat (streaks of menstrual blood, anyone?), puddles on the floor from little boys who've missed the toilet while Mommy's busy doing god knows what instead of paying attention to her son's aim, and, I swear to god, in the women's room, a Playboy Mag with a condom in it - a used condom.

*Deep breath*

So... I'll have to seriously think on the uncommon knowledge that I wish others knew. I'm still left baffled by the lack of common knowledge that I thought everyone had an inkling about.

MillieWylde
05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
How 'bout this one? The LEFT lane is called the FAST lane because you're supposed to use that longer pedal on the right to make your car go faster. If you're NOT going faster than the guy behind you, and there's no one in the right lane, move over. :roll:

My gripe of the day about (not-so-)COMMON knowledge... after spending the morning driving around in Virginia Beach, VA.

The 6th Rogue
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Call it the elitist geek in me but I'd love to just be able to get everyone that owns a cell phone to know how to change the default ringer to something else. Having heard the Verizon default tone over and over again for a decade now I've done the opposite from get immune to it; I want to destroy any phone I hear that makes that noise some days.

Actually the biggest piece of common sense I wish the population would grasp and use is that STANDING IN A DOORWAY IS BLOCKING PEOPLE FROM MOVING THROUGH IT!!! Doorways, narrow hallways, heck even primary corridors in shopping malls. You get people in the way you get problems. People need to understand that if they need to not be moving then they need to not be in the way of the people that are moving first.

Lady Hefron
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
How 'bout this one? The LEFT lane is called the FAST lane because you're supposed to use that longer pedal on the right to make your car go faster. If you're NOT going faster than the guy behind you, and there's no one in the right lane, move over. :roll:

My gripe of the day about (not-so-)COMMON knowledge... after spending the morning driving around in Virginia Beach, VA.

Sorry Millie, It's the Passing Lane. You are supposed to use it to pass a vehicle going slower than you (presuming less than speed limit because no one speeds (::whistle::) )then move back into the travel lane. You are not supposed to use it to travel.

Morgan Ravynswood
05-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Actually the biggest piece of common sense I wish the population would grasp and use is that STANDING IN A DOORWAY IS BLOCKING PEOPLE FROM MOVING THROUGH IT!!! Doorways, narrow hallways, heck even primary corridors in shopping malls. You get people in the way you get problems. People need to understand that if they need to not be moving then they need to not be in the way of the people that are moving first.

heh.. my mom does this, and it makes me soooooooooo mad. Especially when I"M behind her and she stops. I've asked her why she does it, and she can never give me a good answer.

Something I know? I'm sure a lot of you grammer girls are with me on this one. When to use "well" and "good".

Lady Sarah
05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Sorry Millie, It's the Passing Lane. You are supposed to use it to pass a vehicle going slower than you (presuming less than speed limit because no one speeds (::whistle::) )then move back into the travel lane. You are not supposed to use it to travel.

Yup, what she said. Legally, it's the passing lane. However, popular presumption is that it's the High Speed Lane and it's used for full on driving, not passing alone. Most Highways will have a sign stating this, but who pays attention to those, right?

Gellis Indigo
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Most Highways will have a sign stating this, but who pays attention to those, right?

Some people don't believe everything they read! ;-)

Margaret
05-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Our paging system at work.

I wish our new secretary would finally get it through her head that after you press the button for the area you wish - you need to wait one second. Just one. If you talk right away, all you hear over the speaker is a partial message leaving several people to call up front to see who the page was for.

Ravin' Raven
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Yup, what she said. Legally, it's the passing lane. However, popular presumption is that it's the High Speed Lane and it's used for full on driving, not passing alone. Most Highways will have a sign stating this, but who pays attention to those, right?

Delaware has a cool traffic billboard:

This is not the Monster Mile and you are not doing Time Trials (or something to that effect)

Drea Beth
05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Continuing on the potty theme... when you are supplied with the paper seat covers, please use them. Two if you feel you need to. There is no reason why, when seat covers have been provided that anyone needs to do the hover and end up piddling on the seat.

And with the auto flush, is it really so hard to turn around and make sure that everything went down?

Lady Hefron
05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Some people don't believe everything they read! ;-)

What...there are signs on the road? I thought they were decorations!

Gemdrite
05-12-2010, 11:21 PM
In the theme of driving, people going straight have the right of way over people making a left turn. Please remember this when you almost hit my car because I'm following the law and you aren't. (Not anybody here, but I swear most Californians don't know how to drive.)

The sign in front of the school says no parking. There is a big red stripe there to remind you that you aren't to park there. So why do you think you are so special that you can ignore that sign and that red stripe and park your stupid car right in front of the school, over the crosswalk? And just because it's raining, doesn't mean you need to drive behind the school so that you can drop precious Johnny off at the door of the classroom. He isn't made of sugar, he won't melt, and there isn't enough room for a bunch of people to drive back there. It isn't safe for you or the children, and you've been told many times every year to stop doing it.

ShadowHawke
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
People using the word Irregardless... there is no such word. The newscaster on our ABC affiliate just used it in a sentence and I almost spewed my iced tea! It's bad when it's the common man, people on the street, the uneducated masses, do it, but A NEWSCASTER! ? ! These people should know better.... okay I'm a grammar Nazi, so what. I guess when the news people start using the word AIN'T in their sentences, the grammatical world will really be in the crapper. :rant: :vent:

- ShadowHawke -

Lady Sarah
05-13-2010, 02:02 AM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

No matter how many times you ask me to look up a particular movie with multiple different spellings of the title, if I tell you that we don't have it in the store, WE DON'T FRICKIN' HAVE IT! Asking me repeatedly is not going to make it magically appear in my computer list.

Dear Customer - Asking me for a recommendation of music, then telling me that I haven't nailed your musical preference spot on is a waste of both my time and yours - especially when I tried to ask you several times what style of music you like and you kept talking over me or looked at me with a deer in the headlights expression.

Dear Customer - you are in MY territory, perusing MY merchandise. If I'm watching you like a hawk, it's not because you're black/hispanic/teenager/pick a profile. I'm watching you like a hawk because you're wearing baggy clothing and sunglasses, or you're carrying a backpack big enough to fit my 10 year old niece into easily without breaking any of her bones, or you're carrying multiple shopping bags with open tops that items can easily disappear into. Does that suck for you? I'm sorry, get over it.

Parking Lots - I KNOW I'm gonna get roasted on this but it's a BIG pet peeve of mine... If you're ambulatory enough to get out of the car and walk INTO the store to get and use the motorized carts, then you are damned sure ambulatory enough to park it IN the store and walk out. If you've got lots of stuff in the basket/cart, then feel free to take it out to the lot - but drive it back in and put it back where you found it.

Additional Parking Lot Gripe - Striped zones. No, they're not parking spaces for "I'm just going to run in for a second to get a cup of coffee/pack of cigarettes/whathaveyou". Striped Zones mean 'No Parking'. It does not mean you can sit in the driver's seat while your passenger runs in either.

Dear Mall Rat wearing the obnoxious tshirt, skin tight jeans or whatever attention seeking attire - I'm staring at you and your ridiculous outfit because, well, it's ridiculous. Wearing 'skinny jeans' low enough on your hips so it looks like you've got a load of crap in your pants is ridiculous. Wearing baggy pants ten sizes too big and having to hold them up by the waist is ridiculous. You go out into the public forum wearing clothing that attracts attention you might not want, so nut up and deal with people staring at you. Oh, and baggy pants boys, if the police stop you and question you, there's probably a damned good reason, nut up and deal with it. You wore it, you brought it on yourself.

Isabelle Warwicke
05-13-2010, 02:10 AM
You're and your are two separate words and have two completely different uses.

If you go out for lunch mid-week and order the cheapest thing on the menu and pay with a Hundred Dollar Bill, don't bitch when it takes your server forever to come back with your change, because, they usually aren't prepared to break large bills that early into your shift. They have to get it from the Manager who has to open the safe.

Never order the Monday fish special in a privatly owned restaurant. Chances are it's the fresh fish from the weekend that they are trying to push out before it turns and they lose money on it.

SilverMirth
05-13-2010, 06:59 AM

lol you discovered our lovely not so bright VA Beach Drivers. I am so sorry. The Hampton Roads drivers are not so bright and they don't know how to change lanes or merge either. I love watching the morning traffic reports and going "D'oh!"

Gellis Indigo
05-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Ok, if we're going to go all grammar, here are the ones that get to me lately.

Please use the words "less" and "fewer", and "much" and "many" appropriately.

Example: the Tide commercial currently running stating that "x" detergent contains "this much cleaning ingredients". No, it doesn't. It either contains "this many cleaning ingredients", or "this much of a cleaning ingredient".

And the commercial where the woman vows to eat "more fruit, less fries". Nope, "more fruit, fewer fries".

Oh, and also the use of "myself". Example: "Grace and myself will be visiting tomorrow." No we wont! "Grace and I will be visiting tomorrow". Using "myself" doesn't make you sound more intelligent, because it's wrong!

Those just set my teeth on edge. :irked:

Drea Beth
05-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Using "myself" doesn't make you sound more intelligent, because it's wrong!

Those just set my teeth on edge. :irked:

But it does make you sound like a pompous ass! My boss does it all the time and, well, I'll stop there...

Jamianne
05-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Crosswalks and walk/don't walk signals. Learn to use them. The big red hand means DON'T walk. Pedestrians may have the right-of-way, but if you're going to insist on crossing the road in the middle when the crosswalk is 20 feet away and against the light, you run a very good chance of getting your stupid ass run over. Do not give me a nasty look because I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting you because you decided to step out in front of my moving car.

And when standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the street - get your damn stroller on the sidewalk! You want to be stupid and stand in the road with traffic flying past, I'm fine with you getting run over - but don't put your little kid in danger because you're an idiot.

GoodyTombShoes
05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Dog walking- While I'm sure your pup is playful and safe, mine is not. So no thank you on the offer of the dogs saying, "Hi". The last time Harry met a dog on the street Harry turned into a pitbull's chewtoy. Leash your pup and I'll leash mine. And duh! You can hear the bark/growl right?
Phone use- I love hearing about how that ho got her ass laid out by that dude she met in the club last night. (That'll be $11.95.) It's awesome to hear that your mom had her uterus removed thru her vagina.(Debit or credit?) I'm so happy your daughter is going to prom with the football team. (The reciept is in the bag. Thanks for shopping) BTW you missed the part where I cared.
Fist bumps, High Fives and other "motivators"- Nope, not interested. Thanks, I am going to leave you hanging. It's weird and well, kind of odd. Please just say, "That was great" or "I agree!".
The Laundry- The washer takes 45 minutes. It always has. Please be there to push your load through to the dryer. Laundry is done while you wait and it's easy to forget it's waiting for you.
The Last- You could be the last pickle in a jar of brine, the last sip in a bottle of wine. You could be the last slice of bread, the last chip, the last thin mint, the last dixie cup. Consume it, don't hide it and write it on the grocery list.

Phoenix McHeit
05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Parking lots - You know those little painted lines on the ground? Those are the guidelines for your special car. You park IN BETWEEN them. Not straddling them. Not on them. Not nudging forward over them. Within the space. Yes, your special car will fit, I promise.

Also - if there's no line, that means it's not a parking spot. I really don't care that you think you're super-duper special and get to make your own space. On the OTHER side of the median. That place is known as the DRIVEWAY. If you, Ms. Super Special, park there, then the rest of us can't leave the lot. And no, parking on the grass is not an alternative either. We have over 300 parking spaces. Yes, it's true that some might be more than 10 yards away from the front door. Get over it. Pull into a marked, approved space and WALK.

Kyrera
05-13-2010, 11:05 AM
On ramps- They are not parking lots for your car. They are designed to give you ample room to get up to speed with traffic so you can merge seamlessly.

Your Children- Once you pick them up from child care they are in YOUR care. The rooms that have the lights shut off and doors closed are not for them to play in while you drink your coffee. If you can't watch them while you chat, go home and let them destroy rooms in your own house.

Texts- If you are going to ask me a question in a text, give me time to respond before you ask 6 more. I'm glad you're sitting there doing nothing, but I'm not and I can't respond to 6 questions simultaneously. If they are that important, call.

Lady Hefron
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Parking Lots - I KNOW I'm gonna get roasted on this but it's a BIG pet peeve of mine... If you're ambulatory enough to get out of the car and walk INTO the store to get and use the motorized carts, then you are damned sure ambulatory enough to park it IN the store and walk out. If you've got lots of stuff in the basket/cart, then feel free to take it out to the lot - but drive it back in and put it back where you found it.

I have to occasionally use those things (I hate it, but there it is). I have never taken them out of the store. If I have too many bags, I politely ask someone in the store to assist me in carrying them to my car. I have never had anyone decline to help. That way, I can get to my car and their motorized carts stay in the store.

Lady Sarah
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I have to occasionally use those things (I hate it, but there it is). I have never taken them out of the store. If I have too many bags, I politely ask someone in the store to assist me in carrying them to my car. I have never had anyone decline to help. That way, I can get to my car and their motorized carts stay in the store.

You are one of the rare people then. Every time I go to Target or the grocery store, I see the carts in the parking lot or watch someone drive it out the car, then get out and leave it.

After my mom had her knee surgeries, she had to use the carts for the first few weeks until she was strong enough to use only a cane. We'd drop her off at the door and go park while someone went in with her to get the cart or help her walk - and we'd go get the car to pick her up *in the loading zone, not the driveway* (haha, gotcha Phee!), so she didn't have to risk crossing the parking lot with the cart and possibly getting run over. And, shock, horrors, if the battery light was indicating it needed to be charged, one of us told an employee. I can't even count how many times I've watched an impaired person try to a cart and they're all out of charge.

Some people have lost their courtesy and good manners... seems that's what this thread is about. Well, except for the grammar nazis unloading. *rotfl*

Gellis Indigo
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Some people have lost their courtesy and good manners... seems that's what this thread is about. Well, except for the grammar nazis unloading. *rotfl*

But, I group the courtesy and good manners in with the grammar. In all of those cases, it's about respect for others. Having enough respect to be kind and courteous, as well as having the respect to speak to others properly.

Torra
05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
People using the word Irregardless... there is no such word. The newscaster on our ABC affiliate just used it in a sentence and I almost spewed my iced tea! It's bad when it's the common man, people on the street, the uneducated masses, do it, but A NEWSCASTER! ? ! These people should know better.... okay I'm a grammar Nazi, so what. I guess when the news people start using the word AIN'T in their sentences, the grammatical world will really be in the crapper. :rant: :vent:

- ShadowHawke -

Fun fact for the day! Taken from my friend who is in the field of lexicology:
for a while, "ain't" was standard English! It was considered an acceptable contraction of "am not," but then people started using it for "are not," and then for "is not," and on and on and on, and the prescriptive grammarians got their medieval panties in a twist and said NO MORE.

ShadowHawke
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh yes "ain't" used to be used, but it was considered not to be proper grammar when I was in school. I can remember getting the snot smacked out of my hands by the Nuns for using the word when I was in elementary school ...so many years ago. I can remember having to write lines..."I will not use ain't in a sentence." Why it came out "I ain't gonna use ain't no more." I really do not know. Needless to say I had writer's cramp for a week after that Sister saw it. "Jeez she ain't got no sense of humor. No how! "

- ShadowHawke -

Gemdrite
05-14-2010, 12:12 AM
School is out at 3. Not noon, not one, not on Thursday either. So no, there is nothing "unimportant or able to be skipped" on a Friday afternoon or a whole Friday. Go out of town *after* school gets out. Once or twice a year, or if there is a family emergency, okay, fine. Just because you want to skip traffic? Sorry, not a good enough reason to miss half a day of school. Since when did school become something to fit into your schedule around other activities?

Stolenhalo6
05-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Crosswalks and walk/don't walk signals. Learn to use them. The big red hand means DON'T walk. Pedestrians may have the right-of-way, but if you're going to insist on crossing the road in the middle when the crosswalk is 20 feet away and against the light, you run a very good chance of getting your stupid ass run over. Do not give me a nasty look because I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting you because you decided to step out in front of my moving car.

And when standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the street - get your damn stroller on the sidewalk! You want to be stupid and stand in the road with traffic flying past, I'm fine with you getting run over - but don't put your little kid in danger because you're an idiot.

I get crap all the time for actually following those signals and staying in the crosswalk zone. When people give me crap I ask them if they've ever been hit by a car. And then I go on with "I haven't and I plan on keeping it that way". I know a lot of people who did get hit by cars, while crossing the road in the wrong places or when they shouldn't have been...they aren't the brightest...

Lady Sarah
05-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Dear Middle Age Men with long hair and a shiny, bald as a baby's butt scalp that runs from your forehead to the back of your skull: Your hair didn't migrate from your crown to your chin for fun. Having long hair doesn't make you look younger or cool, neither does having a beard. There is a time to grow up - your hair is telling you it's time.

MaidenFaeSnow
05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Dear jackhole in the black SUV: I arrive at work before 6:30am which affords me the luxury of parking wherever the heck I want to. Therefore, I choose to park in the end space of the row, you know, the space that is extra wide. I park smack in the middle of that space which leaves a good amount of room on either side of my truck. As you are obviously confused about how this works let me fill you in. That space is MINE, the next space is for whoever gets there first, and so on and so on. NO, you do not have a right to park partway in MY space just because I have extra room!! So that little ding in your side mirror caused by the fact that you parked in my space so close to me that my door bumped it when I tried to get in my vehicle? You're welcome.:pfft:

Jamianne
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Dear idiot behind me: Red lights mean stop. Yellow does not mean "speed up and try to make it even though I'm much too far away and there's no way I'll make it through before it changes". Most lights by us now have cameras on them. Nine times out of 10 I have my children in the car with me and I am *not* going to try to run the light just so you can too. I don't need a ticket or worse, an accident, just because you want to shave a minute or two off your time by not stopping for a light. Go ahead and flip me off, curse me out, lean your horn the entire light. It's not going to make me endanger my children's lives. Oh, and riding up my ass to try to get me to speed up not going to work, either.

Zoie La Belle
05-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Dear Coworker,
We were assigned to work together. Your job is to be in this room here with me, at all times- except for lunch. This does not mean that you come in 20 min late everyday, say hi, leave, wander around the building, chat with your friends, go out to buy breakfast, eat breakfast in a locked room, go back out to wander, and make up assignments that don't exist. DO YOUR DAMN JOB. Thank you.

Dear Supervisor,
Please read above. Why the hell did I get a pink slip again?

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Dear Supervisor,
Please read above. Why the hell did I get a pink slip again?

Because the coworker is either a friend of the boss from outside of work or a relative and they're keeping that part secret to avoid any nepotism policies. Been there, got fired from that.

Vyxen
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM

As a former Northern Virginia resident, may I offer an explanation? There is no law or rule in the Commonwealth of Virginia that says that fast travel is the left lane. About 20 years ago a law was proposed and voted down, as it would cost too much money to educate people on driving this way.

Let me also add a famous incident, now referred to as "Nestoring" which was profiled in a Washington Post article and letters many years ago. The summary of which is below with the web site cited. I hope this partially explains your horrid driving experience in the area. In all actuality, you got off easy. The gods forbid that there was some type of precipitation falling from the sky, driving in rain is bad, snow is awful. Anyway, on to "Nestoring"!

This proves the old adage that there's an explanation for most things.
"It's a little while before rush hour (http://everything2.com/title/rush+hour) and the traffic is moving along nicely. You're cruising along at 75 or 80 in the left lane of I-270 (http://everything2.com/title/Interstate+270), a CD of your favorite tunes cranked up to an unholy decibel level, enjoying the absence of the standstill traffic jam (http://everything2.com/title/traffic+jam)s that characterize the highway (http://everything2.com/title/highway) system around Washington DC (http://everything2.com/title/Washington+DC).

Suddenly, you see brake lights (http://everything2.com/title/brake+lights) a few cars ahead of you and before you know it, the traffic speed in the left lane has slowed from 80 to 55. A line of impatient cars is stacked up behind some asshole in a Cadillac (http://everything2.com/title/Cadillac) who's going 10 below the speed limit, and you can practically see the people buzzing past in the right lane thumbing their noses at you. The slow guy is right next to a monstrous 18-wheeler (http://everything2.com/title/18-wheeler), making it impossible to pass him, and as the line of cars grows ever longer the seeds of road rage (http://everything2.com/title/road+rage) implant themselves in your heart.

What the guy in the Cadillac is doing is known in the Washington (http://everything2.com/title/Washington) area as Nestoring, a practice named after one Mr. John Nestor. He wrote in to the Washington Post (http://everything2.com/title/Washington+Post) about ten years ago explaining that he enjoyed pulling into the left lane and setting his cruise control (http://everything2.com/title/cruise+control) to 55, and if the cars behind him wanted to go faster than the speed limit, tough shit (http://everything2.com/title/tough+shit) for them. The response his letter generated was the largest the paper had ever seen: enraged drivers attacked him in editorials, cops wrote in to tell him his driving was dangerous, and the general outrage lasted literally for months. Oddly enough no one has ever heard from Mr. Nestor since, prompting some to believe that perhaps one of the drivers he infuriated got so sick of him one day that he simply ran over him. "

http://everything2.com/user/Schattenfreude/writeups/Nestoring
She who learned to drive in Chicago.

MaidenFaeSnow
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
And it seems Thursdays are a favorite Nestoring day around here.

ShadowHawke
05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Dear Driver in the HOV lane... The lane is for High Occupancy Vehicles... That said, one person in the car is does not make it a high occupancy vehicle. I don't care if you sit in the middle of the vehicle and have the seat moved so far back most normal people would be driving with their toes.... you still have NO right in the HOV lane. Nor do you have the right to move into and out of the HOV lane just to cut off another driver and pull in front of them...ie ME!!!! So don't be surprised when TxDOT and the DART(Dallas Area Rapid Transit) sends you a ticket in the mail as I did get your tag and I also had my camera with me at the time and sent them a glossy pix of you and your rent-a-wreck car. You must have been one of those people that voted against having the large traffic markers "Dolly Parton sized CITY TITTIES" put out to mark the HOV lane as that would have more than likely knocked the bumpers and both fenders off your car. Have a good day @$$hole.

- ShadowHawke -

Nor is the HOV lane for the mega-GEEK with the Betty blow-up next to him in the front seat. You too will be getting a little something in the mail from TxDOT! PHHHHHTTTTT!!!!!!!! ::neenern:
I feel better already.

Jamianne
05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Dear Driver in the HOV lane... The lane is for High Occupancy Vehicles... That said, one person in the car is does not make it a high occupancy vehicle. I don't care if you sit in the middle of the vehicle and have the seat moved so far back most normal people would be driving with their toes.... you still have NO right in the HOV lane.

Nor is the HOV lane for the mega-GEEK with the Betty blow-up next to him in the front seat. You too will be getting a little something in the ,ail from TxDOT too! PHHHHHTTTTT!!!!!!!! ::neenern:
I feel better already.

I always wondered since most of the HOV lanes around me are 3 or more people, do I qualify if I have the kids with me? The sign just says people, not adults. :thinking:

ShadowHawke
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Yep, kids qualify too. As long as there are 2 or more people in the car. Mototcycles are welcome too. Well, that is in Tx. I don't know about other state's and their HOV lane restrictions. Copied from the TxDOT/DART website: http://www.dart.org/maps/hov.asp

These specially designated lanes have been designed for eligible vehicles with two or more persons, or for motorcycles. Note: Hybrid vehicles with single occupants are not allowed in HOV lanes.
Eligible vehicles include passenger cars, pickup trucks or vans carrying the specified or greater number of persons, law enforcement vehicles, buses and motorcycles. Prohibited vehicles include trucks with more than two axles or having a gross weight capacity of five tons or more and vehicles towing trailers.

Sadly I think Betty Blow-up would not qualify as a passenger, nor would the lady that had 2 car seats with baby dolls strapped into them. You would believe the things you see when you travel the roads of Dallas, Tx. Oy!

- ShadowHawke -

Oh oh I just saw something...silly... it says: "Hybrid vehicles with single occupants" , right...well what if they are not single, say they are married, divorced, or happily shackin'???? I know I should go to Austin and argue the "letter" of the law. D'oh!

Lady Sarah
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Is it me, or are traffic laws unclear in any way?

Take this for example: Today, not more than an hour ago, I had two - count them TWO - WTFs in less than a quarter mile of street.

WTF #1 - This van comes from the middle lane of a three lane northbound street, across the inner lane into the left hand turn lane and STILL manages to take up half of MY lane (the previously aforementioned inner lane of said three lane street).
Now, *I* know that it's common courtesy that if you miss your turn, you go up to the next turn - without causing people to slam on their brakes, right?) and you make a U Turn, provided that there's no posted sign prohibiting U Turns at that location. Doesn't anyone *ELSE* know this?

WTF #2 - Not more than 30 yards from Jackhole #1 is Jackhole #2, on the Southbound side of the street, pulled into the left hand turn lane, trying to cross three lanes of traffic. What makes this a WTF? Said Jackhole is not more than 10 feet FROM THE STOPLIGHT! Left Hand turn lane? Oh, yeah, It's the left hand turn lane FOR THE LIGHT!! And cars in the northbound lane are stacked up because the light is red, preventing Madame Jackhole from turning. And what is she doing? She laying on her horn, gesticulating wildly in anger and frustration because no one will let her turn.
Uh, sweetheart, THEY CAN'T move because you and your dumb ass is blocking their path. :unamused:

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Traffic laws are all written in a vague and confusing way to maximize your profit potential to the local governments as a driver. The second you get behind the wheel you potentially owe them money even before putting the keys in the ignition.

RedFox
05-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Ooooooo, I just found this thread... I can rant a little. Don't mind the wall. >><<

:rant:
Dear Customer - I work at a Burger place, not a steak and hoagie, not a pizza parlor, our menu is right above my head in perfect line of view of you. And when the biggest text on there also says "We Only Cook Our Burgers WELL DONE" does not mean we will make a special one just for you that is cooked medium-rare because that is what you want. I don't care if the customer is always right - you're wrong and I can't give you what you want so cursing at me and calling my manager to complain about the store, no company, regulations will do nothing.

Also our hours are 11AM-10PM not 9AM, not 10AM, not 9:45AM, we open at 11 O'CLOCK. Just because you see employees in the building prepping ingredients for when we are open does not mean we are open. Do not come up pull on the door, stare at the posted time, pull on the door again and then start banging on the GLASS door with your fist because we won't open the door for you so you can get burger.

Another thing - sometimes our equipment breaks or there is something that forces us to close. When we post a giant sign saying we are currently closed because of such-and-such reason that does not mean we can make you a burger and fries, that does not mean we are going to get up and let you into the restaurant while we are waiting for someone to get there to repair what needs to be fixed. Or if the door is locked and the employees are waiting outside because we were told to EVACUATE the building of everyone because of a gas leak does not mean you should bitch at us for being closed until the fire department tells us we are allowed to open. Oh and also - gas leaks + lit cigarettes = big boom. When our GM asks you kindly not to light up in front of the store with a gas leak we would appreciate that you didn't.

Dear Co-workers/crew members - I am a MIT (Manager in Training) just because there is the "in training" part tact onto my current job title doesn't mean you can take my head off for asking you to do something when you are standing around, ON CAMERA, doing NOTHING. Half the time I am being told by the manager on duty or the GM to go give you stuff to do or to have you do something they want done. Live with it and do your damn job... hint - standing around chatting and doing nothing is NOT in your job description.

Nurses @ Abington Hospital - My father asked to know where his daughter, me, was. He was informed I was rushed here via ambulance because I wasn't breathing and you're telling him that he has to wait because you can't be bothered to figure out where his daughter is at, even though its just a matter of picking up a phone and asking where the 20 year old girl brought in via ambulance in respiratory distress is at. Oh and threatening to call security on my father won't do anything because he will not leave until he physically sees his daughter and knows that she is alright. And to the nurse that was in the room with me - when I ask you to please go inform my father where I am because I can HEAR him from the lobby and can tell he is getting upset does not mean to peek out and then tell me he is fine with the nurses at the desk, it means to go inform my father where his daughter is at.

And lastly to all the high school kids coming into my work, and even to the parents of the elementary school kids coming into the restaurant to get lunch when they should be in school - WHY ARE THEY NOT IN SCHOOL? Sorry but "I didn't feel like going" or "I wrote them a note because its a nice day" isn't a very good excuse in my book for them to be missing school. The school is there to educate the child - the school can't educate them if they are not there!

::rantono:

Jamianne
05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
99.99% of all chain e-mails are scams. Just because your friend of a friends' cousin's brothers' nephew sent it originally does not change that. Bill Gates is not going to give you $100 for every person you forward this message to. Nothing bad is going to happen to you if you don't forward this e-mail to everyone in your address book. Conversely, nothing good is going to happen if you do. No one in Nigeria suddenly died and left you millions. Eating pop rocks and drinking pepsi together is not going to make you explode.

That being said: please don't forward every chain letter that hits your inbox to me unless it is 1 - very cute or unique; 2 - you have actually checked to make sure it's true (snopes is a wonderful place) or; 3 - it's on a topic that you know will interest me. And if you insist on sending everything to me anyway do not get angry when I send back the proof that it is false.

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I just tell people that forward me chain mails that they are morons who shouldn't breed...by hitting reply all.

@Red - sounds like you live in asshole central. Have you considered either moving or mapping out the best bell towers and gun shops that specialize in high powered rifles? From the sound of things I would have been a headline for my anti-asshole super sniper skill demonstration by now if your report of the general populace is an example of the majority there.

Phoenix McHeit
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
And if you insist on sending everything to me anyway do not get angry when I send back the proof that it is false.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the whole post really, but THIS OMG THIS

RedFox
05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
@Red - sounds like you live in asshole central. Have you considered either moving or mapping out the best bell towers and gun shops that specialize in high powered rifles? From the sound of things I would have been a headline for my anti-asshole super sniper skill demonstration by now if your report of the general populace is an example of the majority there.

I wouldn't say its the majority but its a pretty nice piece of the pie. At least the people I've come in contact with. The customers at my work tend to be ridiculous though - apparently we're an addiction.

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
apparently we're an addiction.

Considering your avatar picture I can understand why.

Kyrera
05-14-2010, 03:58 PM
A guy out here in Colorado was using a blow up doll in the HOV, and he got caught and the judge made him do community service WITH the doll. If I remember correctly she had a sign around her neck addressing the HOV rule, or something like that, and he had to hang out with her on the road side.

RedFox
05-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Considering your avatar picture I can understand why.

lol. Sweet talker. I think its the burgers - cause I have yet to have a customer ask if they put crack in me.

Lady Sarah
05-14-2010, 04:01 PM
lol. Sweet talker. I think its the burgers - cause I have yet to have a customer ask if they put crack in me.

Oh, honey... the jokes you just left wide open with that statement... ::runfore:

RedFox
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Oh, honey... the jokes you just left wide open with that statement... ::runfore:

Oh I know, I know. After I typed it and re-read it my mind told me nothing good can come from me hitting the "submit reply" button - but I did it anyway.

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
LOL! I think you'd know if they did.

Lady Sarah
05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh I know, I know. After I typed it and re-read it my mind told me nothing good can come from me hitting the "submit reply" button - but I did it anyway.

Don't worry... there are times when you just can't type it any other way. I love those times... :ilu:

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Times like those are the reason I get out of bed on weekdays.

Drea Beth
05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
The customers at my work tend to be ridiculous though - apparently we're an addiction.

If you work at the burger place that is "more than 4 but less than six men", then, yes, it is an addiction! However, no matter how good the burger is there is no excuse for rudeness, lack of understanding and all out stupidity. :)

RedFox
05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Yea that would be the one I work at

The 6th Rogue
05-14-2010, 04:58 PM
If I'm thinking of the one you're talking about then I had that for lunch today and it is quite good.

Lady Hefron
05-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Wait, what? You've had some idiot ask you if they put Crack in the Burger? Good God.

RedFox
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Wait, what? You've had some idiot ask you if they put Crack in the Burger? Good God.

Yes I have - on numerous occasions. The conversation usually goes something like this.

Customer - "Excuse me miss?"
Me (or any other 5G employee) - "How can I help you sir/miss?"
Customer - "Your burgers are delicious."
5G - "We try to make sure they are to the satisfaction of all our customers and I am glad to hear..."
Customer - "Do you put crack in your burgers?"
5G - ".... what?"
Customer - "Do you put crack, ya know drugs, in the burger meat?"
5G - "No, no we do not."
Customer - So what do you put into the burgers?"
5g - "Meat."
Customer - "Drug meat?"
5G - "No ground meat."
Customer - "Ground drug meat?"
5G - "No ground meat. The meat comes from a cow, it gets ground up, and sent to us, we then shape it into the size of the patties we cook on the grill. There are no additional substances added to any of our ingredients - especially out ground meat."
Customer - "You're sure?"
5G - "Yes I'm sure."

That is one of my more favorite "crack burgers" conversations I have had with a customer. The man was there with his sons..... I was very disappointed that he even had the thought cross his mind. And yes many of our customers call our burgers crack burgers.

Margaret
05-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Yea that would be the one I work at

Dude.

Five Guys :bow:

Lady Hefron
05-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Yes I have - on numerous occasions. The conversation usually goes something like this.

Customer - "Excuse me miss?"
Me (or any other 5G employee) - "How can I help you sir/miss?"
Customer - "Your burgers are delicious."
5G - "We try to make sure they are to the satisfaction of all our customers and I am glad to hear..."
Customer - "Do you put crack in your burgers?"
5G - ".... what?"
Customer - "Do you put crack, ya know drugs, in the burger meat?"
5G - "No, no we do not."
Customer - So what do you put into the burgers?"
5g - "Meat."
Customer - "Drug meat?"
5G - "No ground meat."
Customer - "Ground drug meat?"
5G - "No ground meat. The meat comes from a cow, it gets ground up, and sent to us, we then shape it into the size of the patties we cook on the grill. There are no additional substances added to any of our ingredients - especially out ground meat."
Customer - "You're sure?"
5G - "Yes I'm sure."

That is one of my more favorite "crack burgers" conversations I have had with a customer. The man was there with his sons..... I was very disappointed that he even had the thought cross his mind. And yes many of our customers call our burgers crack burgers.

Damn, that has to be one hell of a burger (or some seriously dumb people).

LdyJhawk
05-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Here's a good one:

Medical personnel. Take a moment to assess the person you are talking to. If I came in for a sinus infection and you wanted to xray me..and due to being on the pill and four days late for liability you force a pregnancy test, don't bounce in giddily to give me the results by yelling "you are!" because I will yell, "OH MOTHERFUCKER!" so loud that they will hear it in your waiting room. Did you think that perhaps for five seconds it might not be bad to recall me anxiously asking if the results were back yet because I prayed God they were negative? Did you?

So yeah, pay attention to your patients.

Dear makers of all hormonal birth control. Do me a favor. Make it clearer that HBC just will. not. fucking. work for some women. Apparently across the board. Myself and two brothers? conceived on the pill. Granted it was the height of conceit to think I'd get luckier but hey, orthotricyclin had been bulletproof for 10 years. Three others failed but ortho? My rock. not no more, damnit. At least the boy is happy or I'd be beating down someone's door

Gemdrite
05-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh that stories I could share about stupid people in restaurants...that could be a whole other thread! The person who asked if our hamburgers were American...the woman who insisted that she cut her tongue on a piece of porcelain in our food (I informed her that the only way she could have cut her tongue on porcelain in our restaurant was if she licked the toilets.) The drunk people, the stupid people....so many stories.

Kyrera
05-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Oh that stories I could share about stupid people in restaurants...that could be a whole other thread! The person who asked if our hamburgers were American...the woman who insisted that she cut her tongue on a piece of porcelain in our food (I informed her that the only way she could have cut her tongue on porcelain in our restaurant was if she licked the toilets.) The drunk people, the stupid people....so many stories.

I had a man accuse me of being racist because I asked him if he had the sandwich he was returning that supposedly had bad lettuce on it. (He didn't have sandwich, receipt, or any proof that he had ever set foot in my store.)

Margaret
05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
That line from Clerks will always hold true: "This job would be perfect if it weren't for the customers."

I did a stint as a video store clerk and saw the best and the worst in people.

During storms, the power may have been out at our store or the computers down but the power would be on in other sections of town but the cable out. What this ment is people came to rent movies. With no computers - we'd hand write every ticket. Lines got L-O-N-G. Never saw an issue or a problem with an angry customer. People would stand in line and visit and laugh. They'd help each other out.

During normal business times - I may get screamed at by a customer for a $2 late fee that he swore was not late and that was how our store was trying to make money. Yeah - whatever dude. ::sleepy::

Gemdrite
05-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Attention Walmart shoppers: "Keep to the right" doesn't only refer to your vehicle when driving. It is common courtesy (or so I thought!) that when you are walking anywhere, be it store aisles, the sidewalk, up and down stairs, etc. that you stick to the right side unless you are taking a product off of a shelf. In this way, traffic can move freely without jamming up in any given aisle because two carts are coming down the aisle in the same direction and nobody can pass you. And you walking down the right side, but your kid walking down the left? Still not helpful. Don't get mad at me when he gets clipped coming around a corner because I can't see him.

I distinctly recall on more than one occasion my mother firmly moving me to the right side of the aisle and explaining to me that even though I'm not driving, I still need to stick to the right side of the aisle so that other shoppers can get past us easily.

Lady Hefron
05-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I worked for a little over 2 years in customer service at Comcast...you want to talk about stupid.
sp(stupid person): My cable is out
me: Ma'am/Sir, are your lights working (asked because we are in the middle of a N'oreaster)
sp: No, but I'm calling about my cable not working.
me: Yes Ma'am/Sir, I understand that, but if your electricity is out your TV won't work.
sp: It's not my TV, it's my cable (yelling now)
me: I understand. Your cable box requires electricity to work, so it won't work if your lights aren't on.
sp: That's not true. Yesterday I didn't turn any lights on and my cable worked just fine.
me: (gasping trying to suppress laughter) I'm sorry ma'am/sir, we will get your cable back up as soon as we have electricity in your town.
sp: (yelling loudly now) you need to fix it now, I want your supervisor.
me: I'll get them for you.

Yes, this call or ones very similar happened every time the electricity went out. I actually had one person tell me that the power comes through the physical cable so he didn't need to plug the TV or cable box into an outlet.

Jamianne
05-16-2010, 09:51 AM
You'd think this one would be common sense (which isn't so common anymore, I guess!): If the kid in the pictures you're taking isn't yours, do not post the pics up all over the internet without the parents' permission. And don't get pissy when said parents ask you to take them down - especially when there are identifiers in the pics as to who the kids are or where they live.

Vixynne Rose
05-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I teach middle school.
It's a great job, it's (I believe) an important job, but it's damn straight sure not an easy job.

Would all parents of all children in my district please sign up with the glorious Phee to get an in-person lesson that "PARENT IS A VERB"!?

Dear Parent:

You are not your child's friend, you are The Parent. This means that occasionally--perhaps even often--you will be expected to make decisions that are unpopular with your constituency (i.e. your uterine escapees). Do not let this distress you, as your constituents are under your governance for at least the next five to seven years. Make your rulings and stick by them. No, really. Try it. It worked for the last ten generations or so, might be worth a shot!
Your job is NOT to make little Billy/Jane/L'quesha/VaShawn/Juan Carlos/Rosalita happy. "Happy" is a by-product, it's fleeting, it's ephemeral, it is not the alpha and omega of parenting. Your job is to teach your offspring the basics of acceptable behavior, give them the skills they need to get along in society, and then work WITH--not diametrically oppose--the school staff as we support your efforts, and oh yes, attempt to give them the education they have a right to receive. This, with luck, might add up to "happy". If it doesn't, then finding their joy is up to THEM...at least you will have ensured they don't go out there into the big scary world unskilled and dependent on you!
Take the time to show them that their education matters, even if they hate their teachers and would rather be anywhere else from 8:00 to 3:00; it might be their one and only opportunity to get out of whatever situation they were born into, or to at least improve it. Don't let them squander it. Just don't.
Don't take the path of least resistance for the first decade of your child's life, and then look at the principal, the teacher and the school police officer over a conference table with tears of rage and despair in your eyes and wail, "I don't understand how it got to this point!!"

Dear Student:

You are not in charge in my classroom. You might be cock o' the walk at home. Maybe all the adults THERE think your antics are entertaining, admirable, adorable and/or a true sign of genius in the making. No, actually, I'm not "down widdat". If your behavior steals the education of everyone else in the room, I'm not just going to stand idly by and allow it.
I don't care if you've been thrown out of other schools, I don't care how long your rap sheet is at age 12. You're in my benevolent dictatorship now, and you will toe. The. Line. Hate me or adore me, the standards won't change. See, I don't *need* your friendship. I know my place in your life, and I'm not afraid to make you unhappy if it means you'll be smarter in the long run. I give too much homework? Oh, well. I actually call your home to find out why you haven't been in school for the past three days? You bet I do. Do I really keep kids after school--and *gasp* expect them to show up for those after-school sessions--every day if they fail schoolwork, so that they can make it up until they understand it? Fail something and find out.
You may fight me every step of the blessed way, but at the end of the year, I will know I gave 100% toward making you more successful than you were in September.

Dear Administration:

Explain to me, please, how students can bring knives or BB guns to school and be allowed to return to the same school after a 45-day "evaluation period".
(Ohhh, you moved the offender from 6th grade (where he was disgruntled at being held back, and brought the weapon because he was angry) up to 7th, where he "belongs", even though he flunked out of 6th and didn't pass summer school? Oh. So he was angry, and brought a weapon, and we--sorry, you--caved in and gave him what he wanted? Mmhmm. Way to be a leader. What's that? Oh, no, I bet we won't have repeat occurences, nahhh.)
Explain to me how a sixth grade student (who has been sighted hanging out with known gang members, earned THIRTY conduct reports in ten weeks and was merely told three separate times by a Juvenile Court judge "you're on your LAST chance, young man") is supposed to believe any adult will actually follow through with a consequence for his behavior. When he says "I RULE THIS SCHOOL," how can I argue?
Explain to me how a child who has stabbed a female student IN THE FACE with a pencil is allowed back into the building after a week's suspension.
Explain to me how you can be surprised when that same student makes verbal threats against a teacher in front of his entire class. What a great example of student behavior for them to follow...but gee, who saw that coming?
Explain to me how that child, when taken to Juvenile Court, is allowed back to school--just not in *that* teacher's room. (Because, you know, he's not going to act out again or anything. It was a one-time slip, right? Of course.)

Yeah, I teach. I love it, and I don't want to do anything else.
I just wish the people who could make a real difference in making my job easier would. I'm so tired of trying to shovel the ocean with a slotted spoon, and being told to do it faster/better. :unamused:

Torra
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Oh Vix...*girlcrush*

Seriously, that was fantastic. I count myself lucky to have been in schools where things like this did not happen, and that my mom taught in schools where these were not issues. You're one amazing teacher for trying to make a difference when all the support systems you should have are stacked against you, rather than go with the (downhill to the pit of ignorance) flow and say it was doomed from the start. May you reach as many students as possible each year and inspire them to be better than they were.

Meari
05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
[FONT=Courier New]My gripe of the day about (not-so-)COMMON knowledge... after spending the morning driving around in Virginia Beach, VA.

You mean you could drive? Most of the time the highways are like parking lots!!

shadowcat546
05-17-2010, 12:52 AM
*snap, snap* Pay Attention, Idiot Drivers of Michigan (not you readers of IWG, of course)
The left turn lane has paint/markers signaling when you are allowed to start moving into the lane to line up for a left turn. NO, you may NOT drive 1/2 mile, 1 mile in the left turn lane to line up!!!! NO, no! See mr. Policeman there? There--you just passed him as you passed the standing line of cars (waiting patiently to enter the 16 ft. long left turn lane). Ooops! see Mr. Policeman flag you,...and you,...and you...over to the subdivision street to receive your Speshul Drwyver's Ticket, on your way to work/school/etc. Will that teach them? Noooo...(city) police force probably can make their ticket quota every day, every week, /month just cause they don't learn. Glad I don't drive that direction anymore.

Gellis Indigo
05-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Dear ER Doc,

When a patient comes in that has obviously hit rock bottom, telling you that he's unable to sleep or eat, and he's considering hurting himself; do not, I repeat do NOT, tell said patient, "We can do blood tests, but there's nothing we can do for you here because we don't have a Psych ward."

Oh, and when you tell said patient and his family that blood test results will be back in 45 minutes, please do NOT wait 2+ hours to come back with those test results to say, "Everything is fine." Everything is NOT fine, or we wouldn't BE at the ER. GAH!

And what ever happened to placing a patient on a 48 hour hold when he states he wants to harm himself or others?

The 6th Rogue
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
And what ever happened to placing a patient on a 48 hour hold when he states he wants to harm himself or others?

Got cut out of the budget when the money got tight.

Jamianne
05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
When you receive an invitation to an event weeks in advance that includes an "RSPV by" date, a phone number and e-mail, please reply by the RSPV date. I am not a mind-reader. I do not know your schedule. I have no idea if you're coming or not unless you tell me. And please reply to the number or e-mail provided, not to the one you feel like using. It was included because that is the account that is *checked* by the person who is doing the head-count. If you cannot do this simple thing, then I will be calling you to find out if you plan on attending. Don't get upset that I didn't assume you were/were not going to be there.

Lady Sarah
05-19-2010, 12:31 PM
When you receive an invitation to an event weeks in advance that includes an "RSPV by" date, a phone number and e-mail, please reply by the RSPV date. I am not a mind-reader. I do not know your schedule. I have no idea if you're coming or not unless you tell me. And please reply to the number or e-mail provided, not to the one you feel like using. It was included because that is the account that is *checked* by the person who is doing the head-count. If you cannot do this simple thing, then I will be calling you to find out if you plan on attending. Don't get upset that I didn't assume you were/were not going to be there.

THIS.

BRA-FUCKING-VO!!! ::clappin: ::clappin: ::clappin:

Tink
05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
These are all excellent ladies!

I have one to add from this morning....

Dear School Bus Driver,

I understand that you have to stop traffic with your flashing red lights and stop sign when picking up or dropping off children. HOWEVER, once the children are seated on the bus or are on the sidewalk safe from traffic, I as a person trying to get to work on time would appreciate if you do not leave your red lights and stop sign on to have a 5 minute conversation with a parent while I and several other people sit behind you. TURN THE FREAKING LIGHTS OFF AND LET THE CARS PASS!!!!! Or better yet, get your bus moving because having worked at a school bus company, I happen to know that you have a rather strict pick-up and drop off schedule and shouldn't run late because those parents WILL call dispatch to ask where you are and YOU will get a call on your radio about it.

Rowen
05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
This happens at least twice a week on the North Kennedy Freeway here in Omaha, usually when I'm late for class:
A girl/boy/woman/man attempts to merge onto the crowded freeway (whether there is an opening or not) doing 10 and sometimes 20 MPH under the speed limit.
Hisssssss.

Kyrera
05-19-2010, 02:59 PM
This happens at least twice a week on the North Kennedy Freeway here in Omaha, usually when I'm late for class:
A girl/boy/woman/man attempts to merge onto the crowded freeway (whether there is an opening or not) doing 10 and sometimes 20 MPH under the speed limit.
Hisssssss.

People who don't know how to merge are the bane of my existence.:augh:

Zoie La Belle
05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
A memo to the people I work with:

I purchase my own office supplies. They are NOT yours. Please do not remove them from inside my desk, use them to pick at your dead skin, and then throw them on the floor of the mens bathroom!!!! :cuss:

Azura
05-20-2010, 08:47 PM
A memo to the people I work with:

I purchase my own office supplies. They are NOT yours. Please do not remove them from inside my desk, use them to pick at your dead skin, and then throw them on the floor of the mens bathroom!!!! :cuss:

Eeewwww...

erinrai
05-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I teach middle school.

Dear Parent:

You are not your child's friend, you are The Parent. This means that occasionally--perhaps even often--you will be expected to make decisions that are unpopular with your constituency (i.e. your uterine escapees). Do not let this distress you, as your constituents are under your governance for at least the next five to seven years. Make your rulings and stick by them. No, really. Try it. It worked for the last ten generations or so, might be worth a shot!
Your job is NOT to make little Billy/Jane/L'quesha/VaShawn/Juan Carlos/Rosalita happy. "Happy" is a by-product, it's fleeting, it's ephemeral, it is not the alpha and omega of parenting. Your job is to teach your offspring the basics of acceptable behavior, give them the skills they need to get along in society, and then work WITH--not diametrically oppose--the school staff as we support your efforts, and oh yes, attempt to give them the education they have a right to receive. This, with luck, might add up to "happy". If it doesn't, then finding their joy is up to THEM...at least you will have ensured they don't go out there into the big scary world unskilled and dependent on you!
Take the time to show them that their education matters, even if they hate their teachers and would rather be anywhere else from 8:00 to 3:00; it might be their one and only opportunity to get out of whatever situation they were born into, or to at least improve it. Don't let them squander it. Just don't.
Don't take the path of least resistance for the first decade of your child's life, and then look at the principal, the teacher and the school police officer over a conference table with tears of rage and despair in your eyes and wail, "I don't understand how it got to this point!!"

Dear Student:

You are not in charge in my classroom. You might be cock o' the walk at home. Maybe all the adults THERE think your antics are entertaining, admirable, adorable and/or a true sign of genius in the making. No, actually, I'm not "down widdat". If your behavior steals the education of everyone else in the room, I'm not just going to stand idly by and allow it.
I don't care if you've been thrown out of other schools, I don't care how long your rap sheet is at age 12. You're in my benevolent dictatorship now, and you will toe. The. Line. Hate me or adore me, the standards won't change. See, I don't *need* your friendship. I know my place in your life, and I'm not afraid to make you unhappy if it means you'll be smarter in the long run. I give too much homework? Oh, well. I actually call your home to find out why you haven't been in school for the past three days? You bet I do. Do I really keep kids after school--and *gasp* expect them to show up for those after-school sessions--every day if they fail schoolwork, so that they can make it up until they understand it? Fail something and find out.
You may fight me every step of the blessed way, but at the end of the year, I will know I gave 100% toward making you more successful than you were in September.

Dear Administration:

Explain to me, please, how students can bring knives or BB guns to school and be allowed to return to the same school after a 45-day "evaluation period".
(Ohhh, you moved the offender from 6th grade (where he was disgruntled at being held back, and brought the weapon because he was angry) up to 7th, where he "belongs", even though he flunked out of 6th and didn't pass summer school? Oh. So he was angry, and brought a weapon, and we--sorry, you--caved in and gave him what he wanted? Mmhmm. Way to be a leader. What's that? Oh, no, I bet we won't have repeat occurences, nahhh.)
Explain to me how a sixth grade student (who has been sighted hanging out with known gang members, earned THIRTY conduct reports in ten weeks and was merely told three separate times by a Juvenile Court judge "you're on your LAST chance, young man") is supposed to believe any adult will actually follow through with a consequence for his behavior. When he says "I RULE THIS SCHOOL," how can I argue?
Explain to me how a child who has stabbed a female student IN THE FACE with a pencil is allowed back into the building after a week's suspension.
Explain to me how you can be surprised when that same student makes verbal threats against a teacher in front of his entire class. What a great example of student behavior for them to follow...but gee, who saw that coming?
Explain to me how that child, when taken to Juvenile Court, is allowed back to school--just not in *that* teacher's room. [I](Because, you know, he's not going to act out again or anything. It was a one-time slip, right? Of course.)

:

I second everything you said. My son has spent the last 3 years getting repeatedly bullied because of his Tourrette's and OCD. I actually had a teacher tell me that my son needs to learn to be quiet in class and the kids wouldn't make fun of him them. Umm he has a genetic disorder that he can't really control the noises/ticks. This year the straw finally broke the camel's back with me. A 7th and an 8th grader thought it would be acceptable to push my son off of a large round hay bale at a school hayride/bonfire. They broke his right arm. Where were the teachers you ask. They were sitting up on the top of the hill chatting around the bonfire while all of the students in 6th -8th were sitting down on the hay bales at the bottom of the hill. They didn't call us when he came up to them and told them his arm hurt. They waited until we picked him up 2 hours later. The principal didn't even know it had happened until we showed up on Monday to talk with him. He wasn't happy at all. But the school board didn't do anything about it other than offer to pay the medical bills. Of course the students didn't get in any trouble either (their fathers both sit on the school board). They were even bragging about doing it on FB, not a smart move when one of your FB friends is the big sister of the kid whose arm you broke. She offered to rearrange their faces if they ever so much as looked at her little brother cross eyed.

erinrai
05-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Dr. Anesthesiologist,
When the patient you are getting ready to stick an IV into tells you that any IV in her left arm/hand blows within seconds of being inserted please listen. She knows her body. Don't tell her that she has nothing to worry about, that it won't blow. And don't get cranky when she gets upset that you blew a vein. Grrr
Thanks,
Me

Dear Walmart Produce shopper,
If I tell you that the avocado isn't bad, it isn't bad. I know my produce. I am the produce manager after all. I even know several recipes to use most all of my fruit/veggies in, except for maybe the Jicama. I laugh behind your back as you buy the greenest/hardest avocado for your guacamole that you intend on making that night. Have fun with that.
Also, parents of the screaming toddler/child, that banana you are peeling and letting the child eat before paying for just teaches them it is ok to steal and it is sold by weight. Your child consumed it before you got to the register, the cashier is not going to be able to weigh it.
And please don't eat the grapes/strawberries/other fruit/veggie without paying/washing first. The amount of people I have seen handle/sneeze/cough/etc over them is scary. I wash mine with veggie soap and water before eating. And trust me the organic isn't going to be any cleaner.
Thank you,
Your friendly Produce Dept Manager

Also I apologize for any spelling/grammar errors. I am on pain killers after a major surgery.

The 6th Rogue
05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Dr. Anesthesiologist,
Also I apologize for any spelling/grammar errors. I am on pain killers after a major surgery.

You're excused. Happy hallucinations and if any of them are really fun please be sure to tell us about them. OK?

Zoie La Belle
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I teach middle school.

Dear Student:

Here here from your high school counterpart! ::beerbud: Also- you are not hurting ME by not doing your work. Please don't pout and say "I'm not talking to you anymore! I'm mad at you so I'm not going to do any work". Really? I don't care. Enjoy being a freshmen... again... at 19.... And children- it is called SOAP. Try it. You're old enough to wash yourself. And finally- please stop snorting coke in the bathroom, you're making a mess and acting like an ass. Thank you.

Dear Administration:

Simple psychology here: when the child does bad things, the child must have consequences. After he pushes a teacher, calls her names that would make a rogues ears bleed, and trashes a classroom- PLEASE DO NOT BUY HIM LUNCH!! DO NOT PAT HIM ON THE HEAD, GIVE HIM CANDY, AND DO NOT LET HIM PLAY ON FACEBOOK ON YOUR UNBLOCKED COMPUTER! Thank you.

My son has spent the last 3 years getting repeatedly bullied because of his Tourrette's and OCD. I actually had a teacher tell me that my son needs to learn to be quiet in class and the kids wouldn't make fun of him them.

The teacher need to be kicked.

A 7th and an 8th grader thought it would be acceptable to push my son off of a large round hay bale at a school hayride/bonfire. They broke his right arm. They didn't call us when he came up to them and told them his arm hurt. They waited until we picked him up 2 hours later. The principal didn't even know it had happened until we showed up on Monday to talk with him. But the school board didn't do anything about it other than offer to pay the medical bills.

Heluuuuu lawsuit!

Of course the students didn't get in any trouble either (their fathers both sit on the school board). They were even bragging about doing it on FB, not a smart move when one of your FB friends is the big sister of the kid whose arm you broke.

Lawsuit! LAWSUIT! (I'm not a fan of suing people- but really... there HAS to be a law against that)

She offered to rearrange their faces if they ever so much as looked at her little brother cross eyed.
Child is my hero.

Jamianne
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
If you post something as your FaceBook status so everyone can see, expect people to comment on it. If you don't *want* comments, then keep it in a private message or e-mail or edit the status so only certain people can see it. If you're going to attack someone for commenting just to be a drama queen, please don't. It just makes you look like an ass throwing a temper tantrum at 30 and the rest of the world has better things to read.

Margaret
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Also on the FaceBook status thing:

Don't make someone else's status your personal platform. It's THEIR status, they can say what they want. If the status is asking for a debate, then debate. If not, don't attack them for what they put there.

Adriana Rose
05-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Another Facebook bitch

For the love of tink you can spell the words out you have a key board in front of you! It doesnt even have to be spelled right. Text talking is beyond annoying!

Oh and dont act getto when you are from the same place as I am and we dont have a freaking getto!

Roberto Phoenix
05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Note to college career counselers. Please remember to tell your students that they may need to get a Master's degree in their chosen field to get a job. Otherwise they may end up wasting four years of college for nothing!!

not to mention the rest of their lives.

Azura
05-27-2010, 01:12 AM
On the Facebook subject:

Don't post things in your status after lying about doing something else. "Yeah, I have to work tonight." "No, I'm feeling pretty sick so I won't be there." "No, we're only friends." "Sure, you're still in the band." Well, then why does your status say you just spent the last few hours at a party/playing disk golf/doing whatever while you were supposedly working/sick/whatever else? Why do you keep posting back and forth in sometimes explicit detail how in love you are with whomever if you're totally not going out and in fact are only sorta friends? If he's still in the band, then why did you create a band page with a group of other people without even so much as a mention and ASK ALL YOUR FB FRIENDS TO LIKE YOU?!
Seriously, I don't advocate lying, but if you have to lie learn how to do it right. Don't say one thing to someone's face and then publicly announce what a lie it was. And DON'T you DARE act surprised when people start treating you like the liar you are.

Also: Maybe it's not the best of ideas to be too sexually descriptive when posting on Facebook. I'm all for a healthy sex life, but I don't really need to read about that.

Lady Hefron
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Also: Maybe it's not the best of ideas to be too sexually descriptive when posting on Facebook. I'm all for a healthy sex life, but I don't really need to read about that.

This. Maybe I'm old fashioned (I've been called a prude but I don't agree with that label), but I am SO tired of hearing about who everyone is sleeping with and what they are doing. Seriously, unless you are diddling kids, I DON'T CARE!

Isabelle Warwicke
05-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Public dog walking requires that the person on the end of the leash pick up after the dog.

Gellis Indigo
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM

No kidding, leave that stuff for Texts From Last Night (http://www.textsfromlastnight.com/)!

The 6th Rogue
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Public dog walking requires that the person on the end of the leash pick up after the dog.

We have that problem in our condo community. We've got a guy that has a dog that's part rhino, part black bear, part Clydesdale and he's too busy smoking, talking on the phone and glaring at people to shovel up the monster piles of dung his monster companion sees fit to deposit in 3 foot intervals. I reported him to the HOA who went after him. His response was that since he doesn't pay the HOA fees either they should have nothing to say to him and go to hell. He wasn't so snappy with the police a few hours later though. He walks his dog elsewhere now...and probably still doesn't pick up after it.

MillieWylde
05-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Hmmm... "Things you know and wish others did too..."

How about this one:
how to balance the :censored: checkbook!!!!! Or at least keep yourself from going into overdraft... *says the wench who is very disappointed and angry at her rogue right now*

Phoenix McHeit
06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
One would think this would be common knowledge, but, sadly, I've just found out that it's not.

Dear Mrs. Jr Hi Football Coach - If your teenage son has invited his friend - also a teenage son - to go along on a trip with your family... and said trip is a church function, which church the friend does not attend... and the function is going to cost over $100.00 per attendee... and must have tickets ordered a month in advance... and you barely know this friend and have never ever met his parents....

Do you think it's appropriate to email friend's mother out-of-the-blue and say 'oh hey, I'm so-and-so, our kids are friends and they're heading to the function together, and oh by the way, we already ordered his ticket and you owe us $XXX.XX and we need that by tomorrow at the latest.'

Oh, also? My family is not anywhere close to being the same - or even a similar - religion as this family. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????????

*sound of head hitting desk, repeatedly*

The 6th Rogue
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Dang Phee.

My email response would have been something along the lines of:

"Dear Mrs. So-n-so,

My son cannot go on your trip because he is grounded for not asking me in the first place. Since he is not going on the trip we have no use for the ticket you've kindly offered to sell us so I must decline on purchasing it. Enjoy your trip and my apologies to your son that my son will not be able to attend.

Mrs. Phee"

After that I'd have a bit of a talk with my son about checking in with his 'rents before agreeing to stuff that not only isn't in the budget but may cause issues down the line like him going to a religious retreat of some sort for a different religion. Most kids only see this sort of thing as hang time with their buddies and not the money sucking, problem causing, religion/cult recruiting events that they may or may not be.

Then again, that's just my take on it. ;)

The 6th Rogue
06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
A little add I think might be needed: I'm always leery of any sort of religious retreat or any other event that is held in private where they invite people that aren't already part of that branch or which ever religion (or cult) that's running that particular show. My step-brother joined a Born Again subgroup that gained "Dangerous Cult" status later the same year and I've also seen a few friends think that they can get what they think they need from groups that do nothing but dominate and destroy them over time.

When it comes to my son I'm raising him with a healthy and cautious eye for stuff like this because it would either kill me or send me on a Liam Neeson style killing spree if he ended up in the hands of something like that. Yeah, call me paranoid but family and keeping family safe from predators of all sorts is the most important thing in my world.

Phoenix McHeit
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Dang Phee.

My email response would have been something along the lines of:

"Dear Mrs. So-n-so,

My son cannot go on your trip because he is grounded for not asking me in the first place. Since he is not going on the trip we have no use for the ticket you've kindly offered to sell us so I must decline on purchasing it. Enjoy your trip and my apologies to your son that my son will not be able to attend.

Mrs. Phee"

That's pretty close to what I did send. I sent 'you must be confused; you should not have purchased a ticket for Son without discussing this with me first. Neither boy told me anything about this until Thursday. He can't go because...'

And yeah, this particular getaway has been running every June since I was in HS, and the boys truly do see it as just a weekend camping with buddies. The function itself I really don't have much of a problem with. I mentioned the non-same-religion thing as one more sticking point as to WHY one should check with the PARENTS first before assuming it was ok. It'd be different - even if I didn't know them by name - if we had seen each other passing by in the aisles once a week or so, or at the monthly potluck.

I actually encourage my kiddos to research and attend differing faith functions, to get a feel for each style of religion. Now that they're old enough to ask intelligent questions, and expect intelligent answers in return, they can do so. How else are they going to be able to make an informed decision as to what's right for them?

I was just jaw-dropped at the gall this woman had to just flat-out TELL me that Son's ticket cost X and that I needed to pay her by tomorrow. Not asking. That took some chutzpah.

The 6th Rogue
06-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Great minds scheme alike, Phee. ;-)

Margaret
06-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I mentioned the non-same-religion thing as one more sticking point as to WHY one should check with the PARENTS first before assuming it was ok. It'd be different - even if I didn't know them by name - if we had seen each other passing by in the aisles once a week or so, or at the monthly potluck.

On the flip side of this is the parents who will just let their kids go off with anyone.

Case in point: HG's 12th birthday is coming up and she and two of her friends (along with myself) are heading off to Cedar Point for the day. From our house, Cedar Point is about a 3 hour trip across a few state lines. I know the family of one of her friends very well, so all it will take is a phone call to firm up time/date and all that.

I don't know the family of her other friend I don't know at all. Just got a quick intro to the girl herself last week. Seems like a nice kid. HG came home Friday saying that Lakin's parents said it was fine for her to go.

Now, that could be (and probably is) Lakin saying that her parents would not mind , but if not.... Seriously - you'd let your kid go to Ohio. Leave at 6ish in the morning and not come home until 11 in the evening?! With people you don't even know?!

Seriously?

Phoenix McHeit
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
*blink blink*

I won't even let my boys - my 16 y/o, over-6 ft, strapping big boys - get a quick ride home from practice unless I know the driver and approve.

Crossing state lines? Say WHAT, Kemosabe? :stunned:

Saucy Sue
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
It is amazing the way some parents think in this day and age. I remember the first time my daughter went to spend the night at a new friend's house. The Mom was allowing her daughter to have several girls over. I did speak with the Mom on the phone before the sleepover but I wanted to make sure I introduced myself to her in person before I left my child with her. She told me I was the ONLY parent out of the whole group that did that. No one else left an emergency contact number just in case.

I am sorry but if I am entrusting my child with you, I want to know who you are and what the plan is going to be.

LdyJhawk
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Phee if someone had pulled those tricks with my mom she'd have gone off like a rocket. It's beyond rude to make what is expensive for most people as a purchase then just go "oh by the way we didn't tell you we were going to charge you for this, pay us now"

Not sure what I'd end up doing but I'd like to think I'd tell them that as they hadn't made that clear before hand I appreciated them picking up the tab for my kid and it was real christian of them to do that.

Jamianne
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
When someone is adopted, it is NO ONEs damn business if they choose to find their biological parents or not. DO NOT keep calling and messaging them that they need to find them because they have kids now. Especially when said person is dealing with a lot of other stress at the moment. It's a very difficult and PRIVATE decision that even the spouse is not inputting on other than unconditional support for whatever is decided. Continuing such behavior will result in a very pissed off spouse telling you where to shove your nosy nose and it will not be pretty.

Gellis Indigo
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Seriously - you'd let your kid go to Ohio. Leave at 6ish in the morning and not come home until 11 in the evening?! With people you don't even know?!

Seriously?

If it gets the kid out of the house and it's someone else's problem for the day, then why question the free babysitting?

Mind you, that's not my philosophy on the situation, but it is the philosophy of many a parent in this day and age. :roll:

Adriana Rose
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Wow yeah no, I dont even leave Little Bit with my sister right now!

Ravin' Raven
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I once had a mom not only let her two kids (ages 6 and 8) come along with me and then boyfriend (neither of whom she'd ever met) and boyfriend's kids - with whom they were friends for all of about three months, she then went off grid on her own for the weekend. Her kids went with me to a beach 90 miles from home, clung to me the whole whole time (a six year old is very heavy for little ol' me to carry around). We finally found her three days later!!! I fed and cared for those kids for three days (I am not a motherly type at all), bought them each a present at the beach, and even had to buy them extra clothes (she hadn't sent anything extra along with them!!!). I later found out the little boy kept asking to come back over to visit me.

So, yeah, I believe anything anymore. :roll:

Margaret
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Crossing state lines? Say WHAT, Kemosabe? :stunned:

Es true darlink.

We is in teh Michigan. Teh Coaster Meca is in teh Ohio.

Now, going to Cedar Point is a standard destination around here and not really a 'major trip'. But still..

Gemdrite
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Since when did putting your 4-ways on entitle people to park anywhere they want, regardless of parking zones? Today alone I saw one person double-parked, blocking the entire lane of traffic, dropping an able-bodied person off to an apartment, and another person parked in a red zone (no parking) to get their mail. Last time I checked, neither of those were emergencies, and regardless, they are still no parking zones!

Jamianne
06-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Since when did putting your 4-ways on entitle people to park anywhere they want, regardless of parking zones? Today alone I saw one person double-parked, blocking the entire lane of traffic, dropping an able-bodied person off to an apartment, and another person parked in a red zone (no parking) to get their mail. Last time I checked, neither of those were emergencies, and regardless, they are still no parking zones!

But...but...then we'd actually have to admit that it's not All About Me. Besides, didn't you know, they're entitled. :roll:

The 6th Rogue
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
People that feel they are entitled are really only entitled to one of two things:

1) A punch in the nose
2) A swift kick in the pants (pick a side depending on what sort of problem their sense of entitlement is causing)

Stolenhalo6
06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
The distance of open space I leave between my car and the car in front of me is not an open invitation for you to move over into my lane without signaling your intent first and at a speed vastly greater or slower than what my lane is currently traveling. It is a safe, and designated by law, distance that I am using to protect my life. Stop trying to kill me assface!!!

Also, turn the blinker on before you do something. It is a signal, as in to signal your intent. I can see that you are moving over right now, so the blinker is a bit ridundent when you turn it on after you start moving...

Gellis Indigo
06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I just got an email from a colleague at work, requesting donations for all weddings and babies that have been born during this school year. That's 6 weddings and 5 babies! Oh, and they want this money in less than a week.

We are a statewide school, we don't all even work in the same location or work with each other. One wedding was a secret elopement of a person who moved to California in the middle of the school year, and one baby was born to a person who has worked for corporate for over a year, not for our school directly.

I'd be happy to give donations for those people that I work with directly. But to send out a mass email, asking for mass donations...ummm, no. And, when you are asking for donations, please allow for more than a week's notice so that those who do budget, can budget for those donations.

RedFox
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
My car is new yes. I will answer questions about it - yes. I will NOT let you, mr., mrs, or random teenager who comes up to me in the parking lot sit in, turn on, or drive MY vehicle so you can get a better "feel" of the type of car it is. Cause in my book you know what that is called? Stealing my car - and I won't hesitate to call the police on your stupid ass if you should so much as TRY to open my driver's side door to get in.

Lady Sarah
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
My car is new yes. I will answer questions about it - yes. I will NOT let you, mr., mrs, or random teenager who comes up to me in the parking lot sit in, turn on, or drive MY vehicle so you can get a better "feel" of the type of car it is. Cause in my book you know what that is called? Stealing my car - and I won't hesitate to call the police on your stupid ass if you should so much as TRY to open my driver's side door to get in.

Oh, please tell me you're joking. Strangers have REALLY approached you about driving your car as a test drive?

Wow. You win. :bow:

RedFox
06-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh, please tell me you're joking. Strangers have REALLY approached you about driving your car as a test drive?

Yup - usually they start asking me questions which I am happy to answer. It is a new car that the maker just brought out this year and I so happen to be one of the first owners. But questions are one thing - trying to drive it is another. I have had one boy (teenager) who wanted to test drive it and when I told him no his mother (yes his MOTHER) told me I was being unreasonable for not letting her son take a quick spin in my car..........

The son's head I was nice enough to leave attached - the mother on the other hand I left her head rolling across the Wegman's parking lot after lecturing her on responsibility, being a good example for her son, rudeness, and a number of other things.

Lady Sarah
06-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Yup - usually they start asking me questions which I am happy to answer. It is a new car that the maker just brought out this year and I so happen to be one of the first owners. But questions are one thing - trying to drive it is another. I have had one boy (teenager) who wanted to test drive it and when I told him no his mother (yes his MOTHER) told me I was being unreasonable for not letting her son take a quick spin in my car..........

The son's head I was nice enough to leave attached - the mother on the other hand I left her head rolling across the Wegman's parking lot after lecturing her on responsibility, being a good example for her son, rudeness, and a number of other things.

Just out of curiousity, what the hell sort of car is getting these idiots that bold and worked up? *rotfl*

Lady Hefron
06-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Wow. You win. :bow:

Yes she does. I cannot imagine what kind of mentally deficient tool expects to be able to test drive a complete strangers car.

RedFox
06-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Just out of curiousity, what the hell sort of car is getting these idiots that bold and worked up? *rotfl*

I drive a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi (http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/2010-suzuki-kizashi-pricing.jpg)

Phoenix McHeit
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I drive a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi (http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/2010-suzuki-kizashi-pricing.jpg)
Ooh hey - next time we're at the same gathering, can I test drive it? I'm interested in maybe getting one, and that'll help me to get a better feel for the car.

::runfore:::runfore: :wink:

LdyJhawk
06-03-2010, 09:20 PM
wish more people would consider what they're saying before saying it. If I'm practically green and you ask why, the proper response when I say "morning sickness" isn't gleefully announcing how you never had to deal with that icky stuff for your three kids and how glad because it would be just wicked to have in the summer heat.

You don't say.....

C'mere, kimmy needs to barf on your terribly cute shoes...

If you can't just make a quick sound of sympathy or commisseration, don't say anything. People suffering from side effects of a condition don't care that you got off Scot free, we care that we managed to eat somethingtoday that didn't come back up

RedFox
06-03-2010, 09:33 PM
can I test drive it? I'm interested in maybe getting one, and that'll help me to get a better feel for the car.

::runfore:::runfore:

Thats the question they ask and then some of them probably should run when I get in it.

**EDIT**

Underwear is called underwear because it is suppose to be worn UNDER your clothes. You're not Cpt. Underpants - even if you do act as if you should be. I don't wanna see your tighty whiteys, your scooby doos, your sports logo, your cupid, or the satin thing your girlfriend got you.

Also pants are suppose to be worn around the waist, sometimes even the hips, NOT your knees. They shouldn't even get to a 1/4 of the way down your ass let alone past it.

Lady Sarah
06-04-2010, 01:53 AM
HANG
UP
THE
FUCKING
PHONE!!

I don't care that you're just running in to pick up something (oh, and walk out without buying anything!!)
I don't care that you're on the way to the movies.
I don't care that you're (fill in the blanks)

Here's a clue, sweetcheeks - NO ONE ELSE CARES EITHER!!

RAWR!!

Stolenhalo6
06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
HANG
UP
THE
FUCKING
PHONE!!

Are you ever tempted to ignore the people who come up to the register while still talking on their phone? I used to work at a video rental store and I got in the habit of doing that. After one too many people gave me the "you're being rude" look when I had to ask them questions (what's your phone number, what's your name, are you aware that you have a $5 late fee, etc.) while they were still on the phone, I started refusing to wait on them until they finished their conversation. I'd give them the "oh no, I can wait, finish your conversation" look and gesturing and then either go back to whatever else I was doing or helping the next customer. I got lucky and it actually started working really well. The customers got in the habit of at least putting the phone down while I was helping them. If they want to be rude to the person they're on the phone with, well, that's that person's problem. Oh the joys of dealing with people...

The 6th Rogue
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes she does. I cannot imagine what kind of mentally deficient tool expects to be able to test drive a complete strangers car.

That's because everything in the universe is all about them, don't you know? See also my post about how to handle people with a sense of entitlement. ;-)

Nice car, BTW. How's the back seat for "parking?"

I've got a new one: our sitter raised 3 of her own and used to run a day care or two in her time. She thinks that all this entitles her to tell us what to do or not to do with our kid in any forum. I've had to delete a few of her posts on my facebook page already.

rosefaeries
06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
When you are in a relationship with someone, you talk to them about any relationship problems or issues. Not someone else. You certainly don't let the other person make the decision about the relationship. And you certainly don't tell the person in the relationship that someone else made the decision that you are now carrying out.

And if you are stupid enough to do that, don't be surprised if the person gets upset with and mad at you. You should have talked with the person involved, not some outsider.

(side rant here. He says he wants to fix things, but in the next breath, he says that this other female, married to someone else, will be making a lot of the decisions concerning things. Take a flying leap buddy.)

Isabelle Warwicke
06-06-2010, 03:39 PM
he says that this other female...will be making a lot of the decisions concerning things...

Wanker.

When one is loading one's boat out of the water on the boat ramp and one must pull into the road in order to straighten out the trailer, kindly look both ways before pulling onto said road. Please and thank you. Anyone one the road, including bicyclists, have the right of way.

I kept the bike upright and didn't wreck, but nearly got hit with a bumper of a Dodge truck with out-of-state plates. I also ditched onto a gravel parking pad that could not have been good for my expensive road tires that I cannot afford to replace. :roll: Tourists.

Lady Hefron
06-06-2010, 07:00 PM
:roll: Tourists.

Arrgghh. I used to live in a very high tourist spot. We rented a house next door to a park and had a little backyard that was seperated by a 5 foot chain fence. I came home one day at lunchtime to find a group (3 adults and 2 children) sitting in my backyard eating their McDonalds. I asked them to leave and the oldest adult told me "We are almost done". I told them this was private property and they had to leave. I was told "We are just sitting here eating, there aren't any picnic tables in the park, we'll leave when we are done. You should treat tourists better". I called the cops and told them that I had people trespassing on my property. The cops told me "We can't do anything about it". Meanwhile, my poor chihuahua is in the house going nuts and these sh&*heads are still sitting there eating. At that point I threatened them with a running hose. They left, screaming obscenities at me and leaving their trash all over my yard.

One of the reasons we moved.

Tink
06-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Lady Hefron....I have similar gripe. I live in one of those former 55+ communities in Orlando where none of the homes have fences because of the maintenance crews needing access to easily landscape. I have several neighbors that walk through my yard to walk their dogs, rather than go out their front doors and walk them down the street. I love being in my house with my blinds open and suddenly seeing people looking at me though my sliding glass doors. There goes my privacy. WTF!? Just because there isn't a fence doesn't mean you should use MY yard as a short-cut.

OH...and this I love. My dad owns a house with an in-ground pool, but he isn't always there. The people who just moved in next door, have young grandkids that apparently stay with them on the weekends and the last two weekends, they've just hung on the fence staring at me and my family in the pool. It worries me that when no one is at the house these kids might be sneaking into the pool. A friend told me that to spite it not being their property AND it having a fence around it, I have to post NO TRESPASSING signs on the fences because if any of them do go in the pool and get hurt or drown, WE can be held liable. So this is a 2 fold gripe...one because this country's laws allow anyone to sue when they are hurt trespassing on private property and two, because people seem to think that they are entitled to utilize other people's property if the owner's aren't around to catch them. Heaven help them if I ever do catch them in it.

Lady Sarah
06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
My contribution today isn't so much a gripe as it is a 'really? were you not taught this as common sense?'

Young ladies... when you're wearing a thin white t-shirt, it's not cool to wear a rainbow neon zebra stripe bra underneath it. And by the same token, more adult ladies, if you're wearing a thin pink t-shirt, you might wanna double check and make sure that your leopard print bra doesn't show through.

rosefaeries
06-06-2010, 10:30 PM
To the umpteenth man who has stopped at my house looking for a former neighbor and all the prior ones before him, do your homework when attempting to locate someone. Google them just like everybody else does when they are looking for someone. And compare notes with each. That way you can quit bugging me.

I didn't speak to her when she was living next door, and I am most certainly not going to be speaking to her now. She hasn't been living here for many many months. This town is not that large, if she is here, you can easily find her by talking to other people.

Oh and by the way, the whole" I have a delivery for her" story on a Sunday is not a good cover story. Not in this town.

daBaroness
06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
OOOOOOOOO - I wanna play!

I'll ditto the bathroom - who the hell, besides maybe a small child, leaves the toilet with their urine and/or huge turds in the bowl without flushing?! Really, who?!

Cell phones. Not the phones, but the people who use them who completely disregard even the smallest of common courtesies when the damn things are glued to their ears. I mean, why can't people hang the hell up when they're in a check-out line, or ordering food? And if you're with a group of people - let the damned call go to voicemail and pay attention to the people who are there in person. Just rude, rude, rude!

Drivers who go too fast, too slow, jump lanes, or just generally think their time is far more important than anyone else's in the long line of cars. There's always somebody who cuts you off, runs up your ass, slows down, changes lanes unexpectedly (without signaling) or just generally has their panties in a wad. Yeah - drive like a dumbass - hurling down the highway in a 5,000 pound weapon at 75 mph in the 45 zone. Hope you hit the ditch!

General rudeness! Yes, we're all busy and absorbed in our own lives and activities, but what would it really hurt or cost people to do a kindness or a courtesy for someone else and remembering not everything is rocket science and they're not more important or deserving than anyone else?!

Lady Laurel
06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
When did people decide its fashionable to wear flannel PJ's to nice restaurants.... I see this all the time. I mean when did it become ok to look like a slob all the time. Sorry this drives me crazy.

The 6th Rogue
06-11-2010, 04:11 PM
When did people decide its fashionable to wear flannel PJ's to nice restaurants.... I see this all the time. I mean when did it become ok to look like a slob all the time. Sorry this drives me crazy.

It's one of the things that annoys the crap out of me too. So many people just have no concept of dressing decently in the US anymore.

Gellis Indigo
06-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Jr. high kids wear them to school and aren't told not to. High school kids wear them to school and aren't told not to. College kids wear them to class.
These same kids get out into the real world and have no sense of what is appropriate.

The 6th Rogue
06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not the church going type in any way shape or form but I was waiting for mass to let out before they held the Christening for a close friend's baby daughter. I was kinda shocked to see what the range of attire was during the "mass exodus." Peoples' "Sunday Best" included flip flops, clam digger shorts with holes, metal band concert t's (no Slayer unfortunately), and a host of other items that I never thought regular church goers would wear in a well to do neighborhood.

Lady Laurel
06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
It really surprises me because their parents certainly did not dress that way in school. When I was subbing at a high school the kids were sent home for wearing anything that remotely resembled lounge wear. I was glad to see it to.
Wow 6th people had concert tees on at a Christening?

The 6th Rogue
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM
No, those were the people going to Sunday Mass...or, to be more accurate, coming out of it while we waited to go in for the Christening. All of us were dressed up in suit and tie or equivalent ladies wear.

Lady Hefron
06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Gah, this one is a major pet peeve of mine. It even bothers me that the President doesn't wear a tie. I'm sorry, either dress appropriately or Don't Go. I go bare foot in my home, but I wouldn't expect to be able to go bare foot in a store. ARGH

Jamianne
06-11-2010, 08:57 PM
In the same vein - if your pants are so low on your hips that your ass literally pops out of them when you bend over or sit down, don't be surprised when people make less-than-nice comments about it.

My biggest clothing pet peeve: Since when did it become acceptable to dress little girls like prostitutes? I'm talking little little ones - two, three, four-year olds. If you're over 18 and want to look like a hooker, fine. But *please* don't dress your daughter like that. It's not cute. It's disturbing.

Kathryn Blakeley
06-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Jr. high kids wear them to school and aren't told not to. High school kids wear them to school and aren't told not to. College kids wear them to class.
These same kids get out into the real world and have no sense of what is appropriate.

I have to say that I have only done that once and that is for a very good reason - I overslept and had to take a final in 5 minutes. Thankfully I was living in the dorms at the time and my pj pants are just sweatpants but still. I don't like going out looking like a mess. Yes jammies are comfy but they are for bedtime only. Nowadays I have maybe 2 pairs of jeans that I'll wear maybe to the bar and out and about but usually I've been wearing nicer outfits to class and such.

And the Sunday best? Yeah, Temple wear for me has ALWAYS been nice skirts, always longish, and tops. I wasn't even allowed to wear dress pants!

One of my students in the pre-internship was wearing a white shirt and had a tank underneath but you could CLEARLY see the tie-dyed bra she was wearing. And she is not a small girl. I tried to discreetly let her know, perhaps the tank had slipped down, but she shrugged and didn't seem to think it was a problem. I was shocked.

Mistress Morigianna
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Do you really want to get me started on what people wear to formal after 8pm- tissue in the engraved invivtation - weddings?

As a Minister & wedding day director- I have seen everything and more...... (shudders)

The 6th Rogue
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Do you really want to get me started on what people wear to formal after 8pm- tissue in the engraved invivtation - weddings?

As a Minister & wedding day director- I have seen everything and more...... (shudders)

Fire away. I could use a good laugh or three.

Tink
06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
If you are at work and there is food in the fridge that you did not place there, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

Yesterday this moron I work with took one of the yogurts I put in the fridge, OPENED it and then started asking people if the yogurt is theirs? WTF?! What is the point of asking at that point? :powpow:

Next time ASK BEFORE you take ...or better yet, see the first line above.

The 6th Rogue
06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
He's working under the false premise of "it's easier to give apologies than seek permission." We have the opposite problem in our office. People bringing in their lunch, forgetting it is there and denying it's theirs 3 months later.

Tink
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
He's working under the false premise of "it's easier to give apologies than seek permission."

No Ron actually, she is just a stupid cunt. Yep, I said it...and I mean it. This is just one example of many where this chick does shit or says shit that she shouldn't.

At least the amusement for me is that most times what she does just highlights her stupidity and I can laugh at her and be thankful that I'm not her.....especially when my boss observes her stupitude* in action. (*The new word I have coined for her behavior and general lack of work ethic. See also slackertude.)

Jamianne
06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
If you are at work and there is food in the fridge that you did not place there, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

Yesterday this moron I work with took one of the yogurts I put in the fridge, OPENED it and then started asking people if the yogurt is theirs? WTF?! What is the point of asking at that point? :powpow:

Next time ASK BEFORE you take ...or better yet, see the first line above.

That's when you start bringing in ones that expired a couple months ago. "Oh, you got food poisoning from bad yogurt? How silly of me to forget to check the expiration date of MY food!" ::whistle::

Mistress Morigianna
06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
we have a very tiny freezer at work. people bring frozrn lunches. Mine are the diet ones- easy. sometimes there is a sale and everyone else has the same ones. sometimes your other half grabbed lunch that day so you didn't see exactly which flavor of meal you got. If there is 2 banquet/marie calendars/hungry man meals in the freezer you would pick one and eat it. How would you know that somone left thiers from yesterday and your other half brought leftovers unless the person PUT THIER NAME ON IT WHEN LEAVING IT FOR 2 DAYS!!!

so then when the person who ate "your" meal buys you a replacement- you can't bitch about it for 2 more months. Especailly when you flat out refuse to label your food in any way.

(me- i have a small plastic box/tray with my name on it that all my fruit/yougurt/cheese strings and such go in)

Stolenhalo6
06-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Just because you don't like the rule/law, doesn't mean you can ignore it. When you moved into our townhome association, you signed a document stating that you would abide by the bylaws. When you've stated that your dog doesn't like strangers and especially children, of which there are three small ones in our association, and that your dog has been known to bite, PUT IT ON A F****** LEASH YOU G** D*** MOTHER F***** B**** A** C***!!!!! Don't walk up to my door with your dog off leash and then get pissed at me when I shove/kick your dog as it tried to enter my house and you do nothing to stop it. I'll call the cops in a heart beat and I have no problem with your dog being put down or you losing your house because you can't afford to pay the fines. Oh, and FYI, it is in our city and state laws that all dogs must be leashed or confined to an owners yard at all times.

Maybe this is more meant for the piss and moan thread but dogs off leashes is a huge issue for me. I also believe that if an owner walks their dog without a leash and the dog runs out into the road, I should be able to hit it with out any penalties or recourse and the owner should have to pay for the damage. I woudn't purposly be trying to hit it, but I also don't think I should have to swerve into the ditch or a lamp post to avoid it. And FYI, I love dogs. I'd love to open a foster/rehabillitation house for abandoned dogs one day. But dogs are animals and people are people and need to take responsibility for the animals they decide to own.

Azura
06-16-2010, 02:47 AM
Most grown-ups are smart enough to see past the "I was just JOKING!" defense. When you say something really insulting and you're clearly serious, we aren't fooled when you say you were only kidding just to save yourself from having to own up to it. We aren't humorless, you're just a juvenile ass. :augh:

Lady Hefron
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Most grown-ups are smart enough to see past the "I was just JOKING!" defense. When you say something really insulting and you're clearly serious, we aren't fooled when you say you were only kidding just to save yourself from having to own up to it. We aren't humorless, you're just a juvenile ass. :augh:

Hence one of my favorite sayings: "Just because you say it's a joke doesn't mean it is funny"

LadyLanen
06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
You should always call your co-workers by their proper names. Nick names should never ever be used in an office I dont care how casual it is.

The 6th Rogue
06-16-2010, 11:39 AM
You should always call your co-workers by their proper names. Nick names should never ever be used in an office I dont care how casual it is.

...but I've been calling my coworkers Asshat, Boss Man, Turd Burgler and Dingus so long I don't remember their real names! ;-)

As for the dogs of a leash thing - my condo is a corner unit near one of the dog walk zones. In the middle of it is a big, bright, white sign posting the laws about keeping your dog on a leash and cleaning up after it. We've got a few people who either live in the association or near it that ignore the sign. That is until I opened a conversation with the head of the Assn. People don't escape punishment for that since the corner condo has a two year old boy who will be playing around there at times...and that boy's dad has no qualms about harming people that may directly or indirectly harm his little boy.

Ravin' Raven
06-16-2010, 03:55 PM

How about people who have nicknames they prefer? For example at work we have Monty. His real name is Michael Montgomery but everyone calls him Monty. My husband is also a Michael and there are tons of them out there so I know Michaels that go by Mick or Micky as well.

Or are you talking about nicknames like 6th uses?

Lady Sarah
06-16-2010, 04:28 PM
How about people who have nicknames they prefer? For example at work we have Monty. His real name is Michael Montgomery but everyone calls him Monty. My husband is also a Michael and there are tons of them out there so I know Michaels that go by Mick or Micky as well.

Or are you talking about nicknames like 6th uses?

I don't think those are the nicknames she's talking about. More like what 6th was saying. Monty, as you've put it, isn't really a nickname in the classic sense.

Take me for example - in jr. high and high school, my nickname was Amazon. go figure, right? No way would that have been acceptable in the workplace on a day to day basis. Now, if I'd actually gotten to be friends with some of my co-workers and to the point that I felt comfortable sharing that information with them, I might go along with it *outside* of the office.

Monty isn't a nickname because that *IS* the name he goes by. He signs Monty, he leaves messages as Monty and I'm sure his wife and family calls him Monty as well.

Azura
06-16-2010, 05:27 PM

I was going to mention what Raven already said. I know several people that just go by their middle names, my other half included. For one reason or another, they hate it when people call them by their first name. My boyfriend doesn't even really recognize people are talking to him when they use his first name unless they're looking at one another or talking on the phone. I, on the other hand, have a number of people who call me by a shortened form of my name (which was my name before my stepfather legally adopted me - long story) and I hate it.

Phoenix McHeit
06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Take me for example - in jr. high and high school, my nickname was Amazon. go figure, right?

Gee... you, too? :snicker:

I disagree with ya on this point, Sarah - 'Monty' as used here *is* a nickname. It's not his given name.

I read it that LadyLanen actually was referring to things like 'Monty', 'Shelly', 'Nikki' or some-such. I read it to mean she expects 'Michael', 'Michelle', or 'Nicole' to be used.

LadyL - would you please clarify for us?

Gemdrite
06-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Nicknames are such a hard one...there are two classes of nicknames, as I see it. The first class are the name-shorteners or identifiers; those who change their names from Michael to Mike or Michael Montgomery or Monty, to make the names easier/more identifiable. These would be okay in the workplace, in my opinion.

Then there are the nicknames, like Amazon, which relate more to an aspect of that person, is more "cutesy" for lack of a better word, that those close to you use but you wouldn't identify yourself that way to a complete stranger. Those, again in my opinion, would not be appropriate at work.

The latter is what I thought LadyL was referring to.

Ravin' Raven
06-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah and see where I used to work I was Google. But I actually found it flattering. In fact, when I left there my boss got me a t-shirt that said Google with one of the "Os" as the symbol for female.

RedFox
06-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Where I work over half the crew is nicknames. When I started there I was known as Kitty by them all already because the boss at the time is like a second mom to me and accidentally introduced me that way. So in my work I've always been Kitty, I sign my employee meals as Kitty, my name is written on the board as Kitty, hell I answer the phone and say "Thanks for calling Five Guys Warminster, this is Kitty - how can I help you?". The big bosses also know me as Kitty and have introduced me to the corporate guys (their bosses) as Kitty. When people took an initial look at the schedule they had no idea who "Tina" was and were trying to figure out why "Kitty" wasn't on the schedule. We also have a Sparky, Sparxx, and we used to have a guy who refused to answer to his real name and only answered to Chip (don't ask why I don't know).

Kyrera
06-17-2010, 02:02 PM
They call me Robbles at my work because there is another Robin, who is a lot more formal than I am. So Robbles it is...

Tink
06-17-2010, 07:18 PM
I only had one person at a job call me by a nickname and it was the same guy who picked it for me all the many moons ago, Tink.

Other than that and faire, I've never had a nickname I wanted to use in everyday life. Always wished I had one, but I never have. Uncool ones, I've had lots of those...Peanut is what my big sis called me when we were young and one friend calls me Moto thanks to us spending way too much time together when that Motorola "Hello Moto" commercial was played all the time. My BFF from HS calls me bimmy.

Oh well. LOL

On another GRIPE....

Work meetings that are supposed to clarify issues, but only further cloud them or fuel the fire of animosity amongst workers.
OR People hijacking a meeting for their own agenda so the actual issue it was called for never gets solved/resolved.
OR Meetings to discuss why productivity is down, but go nowhere and don't come up with any solution to it, so it's a complete waste of everyone's time who could be using the time to be doing their jobs (which might explain the decrease in productivity, hmmmm?)

Oh and stupid bitches who cut you off to slip between you and the car ahead of you when the the entire lane they left was open in front of them, AND you miss your lane change because you no longer have the room to accelerate ahead of the car to your left to get in front of them because of the stupid bitch AND THEN discovering the bitch is on her CELL PHONE and obviously dressed to go fuck off, rather then heading to work like you, so she doesn't need to get anywhere fast. (can you tell this happened to me today on my way to work? LOL)

Saucy Sue
06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
COMMON COURTESY!!!!!

If there are only two people in the office to answer phones, it would only be polite to inform the other person if you are planning on leaving early.

Phoenix McHeit
06-18-2010, 03:53 PM
If you're driving on a multi-lane road, and you know you're going to be turning left in a block or two... GET IN THE LEFT LANE AHEAD OF TIME. Don't honk at ME for being *in your way* when you suddenly remember that you have to make THIS TURN RIGHT HERE OMG!

And a corollary to that - if you miss your turn, please, for the love of Pete, GO AROUND THE BLOCK. Do NOT pull an illegal U-turn, or gawds-forbid BACK UP to get to the road you missed. You most likely will injure someone - possibly even your own Special Snowflake Self.

Gemdrite
06-18-2010, 04:01 PM
If you're driving on a multi-lane road, and you know you're going to be turning left in a block or two... GET IN THE LEFT LANE AHEAD OF TIME. Don't honk at ME for being *in your way* when you suddenly remember that you have to make THIS TURN RIGHT HERE OMG!

And a corollary to that - if you miss your turn, please, for the love of Pete, GO AROUND THE BLOCK. Do NOT pull an illegal U-turn, or gawds-forbid BACK UP to get to the road you missed. You most likely will injure someone - possibly even your own Special Snowflake Self.
Oh my God, so true! I hate it when people get ticked at me for being in their way when THEY screwed up and I'm following the law. I'm sorry you missed your exit, but no, I'm not going to slow down on the freeway so that you can cut across clearly marked lines telling you you can't cross, just so you can get in front of me. Go to the next exit and turn around.

I never had so much road rage until I moved to Southern California. Does anybody know how a four-way intersection works? Or what a stop sign is for?

Lady Sarah
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh my God, so true! I hate it when people get ticked at me for being in their way when THEY screwed up and I'm following the law. I'm sorry you missed your exit, but no, I'm not going to slow down on the freeway so that you can cut across clearly marked lines telling you you can't cross, just so you can get in front of me. Go to the next exit and turn around.

I never had so much road rage until I moved to Southern California. Does anybody know how a four-way intersection works? Or what a stop sign is for?

Stopsign... that's the little red sign that means slow down, right? :snicker:

My gripe for today... ugh...

Parents. Please listen to what I'm about to say. OK?

Just because you're letting your pwecious widdle pre-teen cupcake out into the big bad world with a slightly older sibling pwecious widdle cupcake, does not mean that they are supervised. Instead, that means that Elder Cupcake is gonna tell Junior Cupcake to get lost... about 8 times out of 10.

What happens then? They come into MY store. An hour before closing (who the FUCK allows their kids out that late at night??) and proceed to rearrange every.blasted.compact disc while they're taking the machines away from paying customers!!

Nikki, remind me WHY I can't shoot the little monsters? I mean, I *know* it's bad for business... but... *whine*

Gemdrite
06-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Just because you think your precious little Johnny is the most special thing in the world, doesn't mean the rest of us agree. And regardless of your beliefs, the school has policies in place for a reason. You knew this when you sent your kid to said school. So getting ticked off when you allow your precious little muffin to break the rules and you and your child get called on it, really ticks *me* off. Toys do not belong at school. They belong at home. You send your child to us to learn. So stop getting in our way! Follow the freaking rules so we don't have to waste precious hours of the school day dealing with stupidity!

RedFox
06-19-2010, 12:00 AM
To my newest, now ex, boss,

Cursing off YOUR boss on your cell phone for 10-20 minutes loud enough that employees in the back room can hear you through the closed office door, over running water, and over customers talking in the lobby doesn't mean you're going to have a chance in hell of keeping your job. And no the employees who heard your "conversation" that involved every other word to be a profanity will no defend you. We didn't like you much anyway..... so don't ask us to defend you on that and the numerous other things you managed to do wrong.

Dear acting GM/area manager,

When I explain to you how to set up a medical piece of equipment that I am being REQUIRED to carry around with me until the cause of my condition is discovered by the various specialists I have to go back to does not mean to keep talking with another person. I'm sorry if my trying to teach you how to AVOID my family from suing you ass for letting me self-suffocate and not knowing what the hell to do because you refuse to listen is cutting into your precious conversation but if I can't get it set up in time I have to make sure that you can... because for some reason I like to breath. I know its strange that I like doing it.... but I do.

Lady Hefron
06-19-2010, 05:19 PM
So stop getting in our way! Follow the freaking rules so we don't have to waste precious hours of the school day dealing with stupidity!

THIS! ::clappin:

LdyJhawk
06-19-2010, 05:25 PM
When someone says "due to medical reasons I had to terminate the pregnancy" the proper response is not a sniff of disdain followed by "well that's terrible, you should have had more faith in yourself" NOR is it "hey at least you won't have to buy diapers.

I WILL punch you in the throat the next time you do something like that

Lady Hefron
06-19-2010, 05:27 PM
People, yes I know I'm fat. I know if I lost weight I may be able to walk easier. No, I don't use the walker for sympathy and I'm sorry if it is in your way, but using it is the only way I can get through a day at faire and I'm NOT giving up faire just because you have to take 3 steps more to get around me. And no, I can't just use a cane on the outdoor terrain as I'm not steady enough on my feet.

Oh, and muttering about me being too slow only makes me walk slower.

LdyJhawk
06-19-2010, 05:53 PM
People, yes I know I'm fat. I know if I lost weight I may be able to walk easier. No, I don't use the walker for sympathy and I'm sorry if it is in your way, but using it is the only way I can get through a day at faire and I'm NOT giving up faire just because you have to take 3 steps more to get around me. And no, I can't just use a cane on the outdoor terrain as I'm not steady enough on my feet.

Oh, and muttering about me being too slow only makes me walk slower.

I'm going to put my fingers in my ears and hum because then I can pretend people AREN'T really that ridiculous.

Yes, I have on occasion been guilty of having two bowls of hot soup from the former KC soup kitchen in hand and a plate of food on my chest standing impatiently behind someone who has mobility issues in my way as I try to get back to the booth...but you know what? I try to understand I may not ENJOY having to slow down but I imagine they don't ENJOY having to use assistance to get around so why the fuck would I say something insulting?

GRAH! people..

Lady Sarah
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Oh fuck me sideways.

Y'know, if someone asks for CLARIFICATION, like "Hey, wait, back and up explain that again?"... or says something akin to "you know, if you want, you could do x so that y is justified", don't take it personally and for fuck's sake, don't leap to the assumption that the request is meant to tear you down or take over.

And then, when you've had your snit over it and the person who's completely blindsided tries to talk to you about it, wondering what the fuck the malfunction is... DON'T give them the silent treatment unless you really, REALLY want to cultivate animosity.

Lady Hefron
06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I try to understand I may not ENJOY having to slow down but I imagine they don't ENJOY having to use assistance to get around so why the fuck would I say something insulting?

GRAH! people..

I wish there were more people like you around here. No I don't enjoy having to use it, but it's the only way I can get through a day doing a lot of walking. My Beloved is talking about making a balsa wood ships prow for it and rigging an umbrella for shade. I figure if I have to use it, I might as well dress it up.

Sorcha Griannon
06-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Dear Parents...
While I understand that you want your precious to do well in school, if you are doing his/her homework, what's the fricken point??? Make your lazy bump on a log child do their own homework. Having you do it for them teaches them what exactly? That they don't have to follow through on their responsibilities? That mommy/daddy will clean up your messes? If your child can't do their own homework, then there is a big problem with that child, and most likely, in your home. This irritates me to NO end. I know of several people who do this and I cannot understand why they think it's acceptable.

Sorcha

Isabelle Warwicke
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM
If you are not going to communicate up the ladder a decision to breach security, please ensure that you inform me of that. Because I WILL text the director before entering the building, since it's my a$$ on the line going in.

Sorry to throw you under the bus, but you didn't tell me he was on vacation AND you didn't tell me you had no intention of sharing this information with him.

The 6th Rogue
06-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I've stopped dismissing a young lady's behavior as "she's ten, she'll grow out of it" because I realized her mother (who is closing in on 30) does the exact same thing. When either of them talk about doing something and you explain to them why this would be received negatively both of them respond with some analogue of "well, then I'd just" and follow with a reworded restatement of the exact same irritating behavior.

Is it too extreme of me to feel that life is about learning so if you're steadfastly refusing to learn you should also steadfastly be refusing to breathe?

Lady Sarah
06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Is it too extreme of me to feel that life is about learning so if you're steadfastly refusing to learn you should also steadfastly be refusing to breathe?

Careful, luv. You wouldn't want anyone to think you're making a threat. 8-)

Lady Sarah
06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
OMG!!! Punctuation, people!!!

Yes, I know this is the internet, it's used by a bazillion people from foreign countries and English isn't their first language. But FFS, a period used at least once in a paragraph isn't going to KILL anyone!!

The 6th Rogue
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
When someone posts that their computer is acting weird and describes symptoms that you recognize and know which free software will fix the issue...why they hell would they ignore your posts and just continue complaining that no one would help them?

Drea Beth
06-28-2010, 04:36 PM
When someone posts that their computer is acting weird and describes symptoms that you recognize and know which free software will fix the issue...why they hell would they ignore your posts and just continue complaining that no one would help them?

Because if the issue was fixed they wouldn't have anything to complain about anymore and it wouldn't be all about them and their problems!

Gellis Indigo
06-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes, I know your child is young and sitting on your lap on the airplane. That does not mean that I should expect for my chair to be kicked and my hair to be pulled all during the 2 1/2 hour flight.

Jamianne
06-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, I know your child is young and sitting on your lap on the airplane. That does not mean that I should expect for my chair to be kicked and my hair to be pulled all during the 2 1/2 hour flight.

I feel your pain! On a business trip a few years ago, the father was sitting next to me, the mother in front of me. They kept passing their kid - who was probably about 2, so not a little baby - back and forth over me. I offered to switch seats with the mom several times so they could sit together but they kept saying no. After the kid kicked me in the face for the third time I finally told them that hey either needed to switch seats with me or stop passing the kid because I did not appriciate the black eye I now had or the cheese the kid had smeared down my only sweatshirt for the week when he decided to use me as a napkin.

Kialli
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM

I just sent my sister cross-country from Memphis to Dallas to Portland with her ~2 year old! I did buy him his own seat, hoping that he'd behave better. And I don't think she'd let him do that without correcting him. I hope.

LdyJhawk
06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
*sigh* when two doctors who first expressed concerns about carrying a pregnancy because of your weight suddenly assure you it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to carry a child with an abnormal uterus....

Get a THIRD opinion from someone without a weight bias BEFORE you take the urging to terminate before you miscarry to heart. Because you may find out that the other two wildly overstated the risk and instead of 70% the chance of preterm labor was actually 17...

I'll be in my corner rocking back and forth now..

Lady Hefron
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
*sigh* when two doctors who first expressed concerns about carrying a pregnancy because of your weight suddenly assure you it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to carry a child with an abnormal uterus....

Get a THIRD opinion from someone without a weight bias BEFORE you take the urging to terminate before you miscarry to heart. Because you may find out that the other two wildly overstated the risk and instead of 70% the chance of preterm labor was actually 17...

I'll be in my corner rocking back and forth now..

Ah sweetie, hugs. You did what was best, don't think otherwise. You were very sick. I know this doesn't help right now, but know you are in my prayers.

Rowen
07-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Just because the candy is in those little bins that you pull the slide/lever to dispense into bags, does NOT mean that the candy is free to dispense into your hand and consume in copious quantities on the spot like some sort of cashfree gumball machine. It's STEALING, plain and simple.
I hope those two eight or nine year old boys who were standing there in the HyVee with cheeks stuffed like squirrels with Mom beaming indulgently at them were sick as dogs on the way home.

Gemdrite
07-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Just because the candy is in those little bins that you pull the slide/lever to dispense into bags, does NOT mean that the candy is free to dispense into your hand and consume in copious quantities on the spot like some sort of cashfree gumball machine. It's STEALING, plain and simple.
I hope those two eight or nine year old boys who were standing there in the HyVee with cheeks stuffed like squirrels with Mom beaming indulgently at them were sick as dogs on the way home.
I'd have charged them anyways, and when Mom *itched, I'd have told her that I was sure she wasn't planning on letting her little darlings steal, and since it's all in their mouths, you can only guess at the weight of the candy, so you'll be charging her the standard price for a pound.

But that's just me.

LdyJhawk
07-10-2010, 02:44 PM

What kills me are the adults who do it! My brother does and every time I go off on him I get a, "oh what? I'm only taking a handful, they won't miss it".. it's not a buffet, people. It's theft

Gemdrite
07-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Okay, so this is really just a gripe without the common sense factor, but maybe you all can help me figure this out: why, when a store has multiple entrances, do they close all but one entrance at night even when their store is still packed full of customers? And why do they always leave the door farthest from my car open?

RedFox
07-11-2010, 03:24 PM
This one I can answer easy. I use to work in a grocery store and we did this. The reason for it is that at nighttime in a 24/hr store there are less employees which means less eyes on the doors. If they leave them all open then it is an easier chance for theft. I know when I worked at ACME by the time 10PM came around there was only 1 cashier left on the front end and was there till 1AM. After that the night crew who stocked the shelves were in charge of watching the registers for the random late night/early morning customer while stocking the shelves and making sure no one tries to walk out the one open door with a cart full of groceries without paying. As to which door they close it depends on the store and which one has less things blocking its line of sight of employees and which one opens to more departments, etc etc.

There is a standard time by company policy, for us it was 9PM, that the doors have to be closed. Doesn't matter if there is one or one hundred people in the store. It gets closed because there just aren't enough people to watch them. Even if an extra person is scheduled policy stays the same.

Hope that helps?

Gemdrite
07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
This one I can answer easy. I use to work in a grocery store and we did this. The reason for it is that at nighttime in a 24/hr store there are less employees which means less eyes on the doors. If they leave them all open then it is an easier chance for theft. I know when I worked at ACME by the time 10PM came around there was only 1 cashier left on the front end and was there till 1AM. After that the night crew who stocked the shelves were in charge of watching the registers for the random late night/early morning customer while stocking the shelves and making sure no one tries to walk out the one open door with a cart full of groceries without paying. As to which door they close it depends on the store and which one has less things blocking its line of sight of employees and which one opens to more departments, etc etc.

There is a standard time by company policy, for us it was 9PM, that the doors have to be closed. Doesn't matter if there is one or one hundred people in the store. It gets closed because there just aren't enough people to watch them. Even if an extra person is scheduled policy stays the same.

Hope that helps?
It isn't a 24 hour store though the chain does have stores that are 24 hours. It doesn't make it any less irritating. Particularly when there doesn't seem to be a standard time the employees lock up. It's happened on more than one occasion at different times. Just one of those instances when corporate policy sucks.

RedFox
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM
It isn't a 24 hour store though the chain does have stores that are 24 hours. It doesn't make it any less irritating. Particularly when there doesn't seem to be a standard time the employees lock up. It's happened on more than one occasion at different times. Just one of those instances when corporate policy sucks.

Hmmmmm, then I have no clue. If it were a 24 hour store then I could understand. The only thought I can think of is that they are trying to get the store ready for full closing. (Stores with multiple entrances usually lock all but one or two when it gets close to closing in many stores I've noticed). But if that's not the case I have no clue what-so-ever. They're being idiots I suppose?

Lady Sarah
07-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Hmmmmm, then I have no clue. If it were a 24 hour store then I could understand. The only thought I can think of is that they are trying to get the store ready for full closing. (Stores with multiple entrances usually lock all but one or two when it gets close to closing in many stores I've noticed). But if that's not the case I have no clue what-so-ever. They're being idiots I suppose?

That's what we do in our store. We've got a mall entrance that we close 30 mins after the mall closes. Not only does it keep random mall wanderers still inside for the movies OUT of our store, it also allows us to show down the mall side registers and get that cashier onto the book floor to help with the cleanup of the store. Plus, as you've said, it's one less entrance to worry about merchandise walking out.

Rowen
07-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Ooooo. Here's a good one....This just happened a couple of minutes ago.

If you are going to use those paper seat liners in the bathroom......Flush it!
Don't leave it for the next person to find. I am SO not going to touch that.

LdyJhawk
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Dear smokers. The world is not your ash tray. My driveway is not your ash tray. If you insist on having that habit, find a receptacle. That shit is nasty. No one needs that lying about the place and it's beyond rude to hurl that stuff out windows when you drive down the highway.

No love,
Kimmy

daBaroness
07-19-2010, 12:54 AM
I like this Dear Soandso format ... so here's mine:

Dr. Johnson County, Kansas driver:

Wherever did you get your driver's license, in a box of Cracker Jacks?! No - your time is NOT more valuable than anyone else's so quit driving up the shoulder of the road, cutting other people off or blowing your horn incessantly because there's road construction you have to wait in line to get through.

Do NOT pull a fast one into the parking spot I've been waiting for because I don't give a fat rat's be-hind that you think you're cute driving the car daddy bought for you carrying your Kate Spade bag. Remember, I'm older and I have more insurance!

While I respect my elders - if you're older than 75 you might need to consider hiring someone to drive your old daisy ass. If you're under 25 - be glad daddy is paying for that car and the insurance - Metcalf is not the Kansas Speedway and you're no Junior.

To those of Mexican origin, even those of dubious legal residency status: Yes, you've done well and have a nice pickup truck. Now turn that damned accordion Mexican polka music down and learn to speak a few words of English.

To the middle-aged matrons, the young soccer moms and those who insist on driving humongous SUVs when you can't see over the dashboard - would all all please just get the hell off the roads - ya scare the piss outta me.

To my sons: even though you learned to drive in Missouri (and Iraq), you can NOT borrow my new car. You've each trashed at least one of my cars during your wasted adolescence, and I don't care that it wasn't your fault that you totaled your own car on rain-slippery streets. Read my lips ... "No, you can't drive my car." Get a job!

OK - I feel MUCH better. Thank you for your time and attention.

Lady Hefron
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I like this Dear Soandso format ... so here's mine:

Dr. Johnson County, Kansas driver:

Wherever did you get your driver's license, in a box of Cracker Jacks?! No - your time is NOT more valuable than anyone else's so quit driving up the shoulder of the road, cutting other people off or blowing your horn incessantly because there's road construction you have to wait in line to get through.

Do NOT pull a fast one into the parking spot I've been waiting for because I don't give a fat rat's be-hind that you think you're cute driving the car daddy bought for you carrying your Kate Spade bag. Remember, I'm older and I have more insurance!

While I respect my elders - if you're older than 75 you might need to consider hiring someone to drive your old daisy ass. If you're under 25 - be glad daddy is paying for that car and the insurance - Metcalf is not the Kansas Speedway and you're no Junior.

To those of Mexican origin, even those of dubious legal residency status: Yes, you've done well and have a nice pickup truck. Now turn that damned accordion Mexican polka music down and learn to speak a few words of English.

To the middle-aged matrons, the young soccer moms and those who insist on driving humongous SUVs when you can't see over the dashboard - would all all please just get the hell off the roads - ya scare the piss outta me.

To my sons: even though you learned to drive in Missouri (and Iraq), you can NOT borrow my new car. You've each trashed at least one of my cars during your wasted adolescence, and I don't care that it wasn't your fault that you totaled your own car on rain-slippery streets. Read my lips ... "No, you can't drive my car." Get a job!

OK - I feel MUCH better. Thank you for your time and attention.

Ah Darlin' Love You. I almost sprayed the laptop with espresso on this one.::clappin:

Jamianne
07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Parents, *please* teach your child to cover their mouth when they sneeze/cough. And if they're hacking, don't just stand there when they put their face in my baby's stroller and cough all over her. And don't get pissed when I tell them to move away before they do it again. Especially if they're not little toddlers and are old enough to know better. I don't know if your child's sick or has allergies or just had a tickle. And it's nasty either way.

And if you're an adult, there's no excuse for not covering your cough. Do *NOT* hack all over my children. And if you do not have the decency to do that, then don't get all "look at the psycho mom" when I pull out the wipes and clean your nasty snot off of them. I am not a paranoid, constantly-sanitizing nut-job. But I see no reason that they should have your spew/snot on them because you don't have the manners to cover your mouth. That's just gross.

LdyJhawk
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh Kansas rednecks..

if I hear ONE MORE TIME about "them mexicans" who are apparently taking our jobs and ruining polite American society I am going to start punching people. A) They're not all mexicans, it's not their fault that getting from most central american countries requires coming up from Mexico. B) Taking which jobs? the ones people won't do like picking strawberries? and C) they haven't ruined shit. If you don't like the music or the food, ignore it. They probably don't like the moronic window shaking music your kid plays in his busted out integra with a bumble bee muffler but you don't see them shaking and crying about it

Eadie
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Ooooo. Here's a good one....This just happened a couple of minutes ago.

If you are going to use those paper seat liners in the bathroom......Flush it!
Don't leave it for the next person to find. I am SO not going to touch that.

I was raking the leaves up on my lawn (years ago) and a pick up drove by and threw a twelve pack of empties out the window on my lawn. They had to stop at the stop sign on the corner of my yard, so I threw it back in their pick up. Some of them shattered in the bed. :-D They were not pleased but kept on driving.....

Isabelle Warwicke
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
a pick up drove by and threw a twelve pack of empties out the window on my lawn. They had to stop at the stop sign on the corner of my yard, so I threw it back in their pick up. ..

Score one for you!

Eadie
07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Score one for you!

Made my day. :-D

Apropos
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Dear RENAISSANCE faire visitor:

It's a RENAISSANCE faire. Not a gamers convention. If you have any doubts about where you are please exit the faire, go to the parking lot, get back in your car and drive out to the main entrance and reread the HUGE sign that states you are paying money to attend a RENAISSANCE faire.

While I find my own humor in saying my Holodeck is malfuntioning again to rationalize your idiotic attire, I would rather you join into my fantasy rather than destroy it.

I do not attend your (insert convention of choice) dressed in something that defies logic so please do not come to the renaissance faire in a cardboard robot suit, as an Ent, as any Star Trek away team, as any Star Wars character (exception goes to the stormtrooper that was wearing garb) or as any Harry Potter character. Doctor Who characters are exempt because they can at least time travel.

And lastly, if any woman decides to come to the renaissance faire in a store bought Playboy/Fredericks of Hollywood sexed up costume, I am going to snark at you until you are in tears. If you want to dress like a hooker, go to a street corner not a renaissance faire. If I laced up my bodice, fluffed my assests then stood on your street corner and flashed my bloomers I would expect to be laughed at. So expect the same treatment if you come dressed in your underwear.

We work very hard to enjoy the atmosphere we have created. QUIT FUCKING WITH MY UNREALITY!

BTW...Snark Thirty starts at Five and Thirty. If you are in the area, you will be a victim of a snark attack. You have been warned.

PSA by Apropos.

RedFox
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
To my dear brother,

I have been working on my costume for months, MONTHS, and since I have started it I have had you telling me or using a tone of voice while looking at MY project on how you know better because the costume comes from a character of a game you have played and you know how the thing looks in the game and how it should move in the GAME. This is not your cosplay - you have NEVER cosplayed, and I don't need your worthless opinion on how I am making MY costume. Why? Because A: certain things can't actually be done. B: I have spent days hunting down screenshots, talking with ppl who DO cosplay, ppl who have done similar or are doing the same character. C: planning how to actually put each and every part together. And I have done this all without your f***ing help. I don't care if you'll "withhold full judgement till it is finished" or not - because frankly if I have my way you won't see it after completion - EVER.

LdyJhawk
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Dear RENAISSANCE faire visitor:

It's a RENAISSANCE faire. Not a gamers convention. If you have any doubts about where you are please exit the faire, go to the parking lot, get back in your car and drive out to the main entrance and reread the HUGE sign that states you are paying money to attend a RENAISSANCE faire.

While I find my own humor in saying my Holodeck is malfuntioning again to rationalize your idiotic attire, I would rather you join into my fantasy rather than destroy it.

I do not attend your (insert convention of choice) dressed in something that defies logic so please do not come to the renaissance faire in a cardboard robot suit, as an Ent, as any Star Trek away team, as any Star Wars character (exception goes to the stormtrooper that was wearing garb) or as any Harry Potter character. Doctor Who characters are exempt because they can at least time travel.

And lastly, if any woman decides to come to the renaissance faire in a store bought Playboy/Fredericks of Hollywood sexed up costume, I am going to snark at you until you are in tears. If you want to dress like a hooker, go to a street corner not a renaissance faire. If I laced up my bodice, fluffed my assests then stood on your street corner and flashed my bloomers I would expect to be laughed at. So expect the same treatment if you come dressed in your underwear.

We work very hard to enjoy the atmosphere we have created. QUIT FUCKING WITH MY UNREALITY!

BTW...Snark Thirty starts at Five and Thirty. If you are in the area, you will be a victim of a snark attack. You have been warned.

PSA by Apropos.

Eh, you know what? It's historical entertainment. Renfaires are glorified craft faires with stage shows and lane acts. If people want to pay their money and come in dressed like PacMan in a doublet, more power to them. It doesn't stop me from enjoying my job and from playing.

Sometimes people want to join in and have fun being "different" but they don't have the money or time to invest in new costume stuff so they wear what they have that they think is fun. Who are we to begrudge that. If you can't enjoy yourself because of what other people are wearing, maybe you're doing faire for the wrong reason? Try SCA or LARPing a time period if you want to insist that everyone around you dress to your time period standards. Unless someone is on cast, they're under no obligation to dress any way other than what they feel is best and is legal under local municipal codes

Apropos
07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Bristol is the one of last of the HISTORICALLY ACCURATE renaissance faires. We try to play according to their sandbox rules and do have to dress accordingly in order to participate in Wench Walks.

I RESPECT people's playgrounds. If I decided to go to a Fairy Festival I am not going to dress as a robot. And since there are small children around, I am not going to dress like a hooker either. Just as when I go to a Star Wars convention, I don't wear my renaissance garb. There's a theme for a reason.

Bristol is infamous for their garb. I may not be a noble but I respect the hell out of the time and quality they put into their garb. I have gone to a lot of other faire's and appreciate the costuming at Bristol a whole lot more.

I will not wench somebody's brother's uncle's son in a robot costume. If they want to play at the faire than at least try. I am not complaining about the paytron's that try. I have seen a lot of good attempts at garb. But last time I checked my Elizabethan history, the corsets were underwear and skirts did not show half an ass cheek with every step.

If grammar nazi's are ok...then I can be a garb nazi!

Kialli
07-20-2010, 05:27 PM
So what bit of uncommon knowledge do you possess that might help educate others?

Do not stop on a main road and wave people out of the Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's or other parking lot. People behind you might decide you are turning and go around you. If there are two lanes on your side, the people in the other lane are not going to stop. You might not see other people coming from the other direction keeping the person from pulling out. Just go. Get out of everybody's way. The person will pull out when they feel safe to do so. Or they will sit there forever. Don't worry about them. Drive your car and let them drive theirs. However, if you insist on doing this and if they trust you and pull out and get into a collision, don't drive away. Pull your car over and take credit.

(No, I didn't have an accident, I just got cussed at by a woman who wanted me to pull out in front of her, with a string of cars behind her and a bunch coming around the corner from the other direction... Once upon a time, my friend totalled her car because she trusted the person who told her to go...)

Isabelle Warwicke
07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
... do not come to the renaissance faire in a cardboard robot suit....

There was a WHOLE TEAM of them. I thought it was karmic that by the end of the day, they were all carrying bits and pieces of themselves, because the duct tape started melting!

Margaret
07-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Apropos.

Where the FUCK have you been?!?!?!

That being said - I am so glad to see you here!!!::hug::

shadowcat546
07-21-2010, 02:20 AM
PLease...PLEASE: America....learn to chew with your mouth closed !!!:blech: I don't want to see you smacking your gum (while I was waiting in line) nor hear your gum smacking...nor see what's in your mouth. Your mouth should not be open 1/2 an inch, nor 2 inches. 2 millimeters (enough to get oxygen to your stunted brain) ought to do it. Ugh. so many parents not enforcing manners/etiquette on kids today.

Azura
07-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Bristol is the one of last of the HISTORICALLY ACCURATE renaissance faires. We try to play according to their sandbox rules and do have to dress accordingly in order to participate in Wench Walks.

But... Bristol has the Fantastikals. And RenQuest. And their slogan is "Where Fantasy Rules." Not to say I don't agree with basically everything you said, but I wanted to kinda point it out.

Mistress Morigianna
07-21-2010, 06:32 AM
People WERE you BORN in A Barn??? CLOSE the DAMN Door! We only have 1 of the 2 AC units working and are trying to keep it cool. DUH!! Not every door is an auto door- if you had to open it to come in would you not think to close it on the way out?:unamused:

It is over 100 outside and you came in to "cool off in the AC" so CLOSE the door!!

oh and BUY SOMETHING when you hang for over an hour+++! Just $1.00....SOMETHING!!!!
geeze!!!:roll:

GoodyTombShoes
07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Every pickle served for eating out of hand should be on a stick. Nothing says "oh joy" like looking at your pickle on the ground and the little wax tissue in your hand.

Kyrera
07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
PLease...PLEASE: America....learn to chew with your mouth closed !!!:blech: I don't want to see you smacking your gum (while I was waiting in line) nor hear your gum smacking...nor see what's in your mouth. Your mouth should not be open 1/2 an inch, nor 2 inches. 2 millimeters (enough to get oxygen to your stunted brain) out to do it. Ugh. so many parents not enforcing manners/etiquette on kids today.

Likewise, if you would PLEASE stop dragging your teeth on your metal fork... use your lips!

(on the news this morning they said that recent polls suggest 93% of children don't know basic manners. I believe it.)

The 6th Rogue
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Someone remind me of why I can't taser annoying people again? I'd need a bandolier of replacement 9 volt batteries just to get through the day, I know, but still...I mean c'mon!

Isabelle Warwicke
07-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I had a guy put ketchup on his salad today. WTF?

Certain condiments, people, do not go on everything.

The 6th Rogue
07-27-2010, 12:17 AM
I had a guy put ketchup on his salad today. WTF?

Certain condiments, people, do not go on everything.

Someone tried to give me that lecture after seeing me put ketchup on my hot dog. She noticed part way through their dissertation I was aiming the ketchup AT her and I started my lecture about how much of a pain in the ass it is to get ketchup stains out.

Mind you, this was the same woman who tried to lecture me on the healthy merits of diet soda after seeing me drinking a glass of water.

Stolenhalo6
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Someone tried to give me that lecture after seeing me put ketchup on my hot dog.

But..but...ketchup actually belongs on hot dogs.

Azura
07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Someone tried to give me that lecture after seeing me put ketchup on my hot dog. She noticed part way through their dissertation I was aiming the ketchup AT her and I started my lecture about how much of a pain in the ass it is to get ketchup stains out.

Mind you, this was the same woman who tried to lecture me on the healthy merits of diet soda after seeing me drinking a glass of water.

Wow, that's a special breed of idiot.

Bean
07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Maybe the guy was trying to make his own russian dressing with ketchup and mayo?

Lady Sarah
07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Grilled onions and mustard go on hotdogs. However, that said, I've also taken to putting grilled onions and barbecue sauce on my hotdogs too. To each their own... I've also eaten hot dogs with ketchup and relish. All depends on my mood.

Just, please, for fuck's sake, don't hand me a "Chicago Dog" and tell me that's the ONLY way to eat a hotdog. Because that'll be the way you'll end up WEARING it.

Gemdrite
07-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Dear moron who thinks his/her life is more important than mine:

Red lights exist to protect people. When your light is red, that means it is not your turn to go. It does NOT mean that you should speed up when you aren't even remotely close to the light and blow through it, missing my car by mere inches because I was following my GREEN turn light. Only because you were speeding was I able to hit my brakes quickly enough to miss you.

Adriana Rose
07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=Apropos;396310

We work very hard to enjoy the atmosphere we have created. .

.[/QUOTE]

And this is why I love you woman!

daBaroness
08-03-2010, 01:35 AM
OK folks - I get that I'm in the heavily-populated suburbs. But great googly-moogly - it's 100 fucking degrees at 9 p.m. when I stopped to get my healthful dinner of a double vanilla Sheridan's frozen custard with raspberries and a glass of water. Must you allow your children to run across the concrete in front of the store screaming shrilly at the top of their lungs? I'm trying to mellow out; and having my eardrum shattered as your little heathen runs into me leaving traces of gummy worms on my forearm is just not improving my mood. It's dark - those little bastards should be at home in the jammies getting ready to go to dreamland - not terrorizing middle-aged and elderly people trying to cool off.

LdyJhawk
08-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Dear people bitching that their pell grant is "late" and that they need that money because they have shoes/a phone/purse/honeymoon shit they want to buy.

Fuck you. Seriously? Entitled much? That money is not your personal shopping stipend. Some of us would LOVE to get a pell grant and got someone shitting down our neck instead so we don't get to go to school anymore.

No love, greedy bastards...

Azura
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Dear people bitching that their pell grant is "late" and that they need that money because they have shoes/a phone/purse/honeymoon shit they want to buy.

Fuck you. Seriously? Entitled much? That money is not your personal shopping stipend. Some of us would LOVE to get a pell grant and got someone shitting down our neck instead so we don't get to go to school anymore.

Really? Really really?? I always thought that was some sort of myth or something. I know I get annoyed by over-privileged college students already (I know one girl who's dad was hurt in Vietnam, so she has everything from tuition to living expenses paid for, which is fine, but she assumes everyone can afford college that easily), but that just takes the cake.

LdyJhawk
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Really, one keeps complaining that her grant is late and she needs that "stipend" to buy the shoes she wants to wear in her wedding

Azura
08-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Really, one keeps complaining that her grant is late and she needs that "stipend" to buy the shoes she wants to wear in her wedding

What?? Pfft. Break her feet. Cast required, no new shoes needed, problem solved. :unamused:

rosefaeries
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM

I can understand the wedding purchase.(Understand it, not necessarily approve) The ones I can't get are the ones who spend a sizable chunk of financial aid on getting tattoos done every single term.

LdyJhawk
08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I can understand the wedding purchase.(Understand it, not necessarily approve) The ones I can't get are the ones who spend a sizable chunk of financial aid on getting tattoos done every single term.

I can't. A pell grant is to help your education, not to help you pay for a honeymoon because you'd be sososad without one. I didn't even get enough when I DID qualify to pay for all of it including books..these people are taking one class at a time, bitching about it and getting FAR more money than one class deserves

The 6th Rogue
08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
A wedding is an education: how much psychological torture and passive aggressive behavior can you handle? ;) KIDDING!!!

Tink
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I think the stupidity in the "using her Pell money to buy her wedding shoes girl" is that she TOLD you that. In reality, she may have spent her last dime on her school fees, books, etc rather than buying things like her wedding shoes first knowing that she'd eventually get her Pell which would cover those expenses. So she may be a smart person who just prioritized. Where she fails the intelligence test is saying she spends her Pell money on things other than school because it makes her sound like a stupid, over-privileged bint that wastes perfectly good government funds on BS when other people are struggling to pay for school.

Of course, I am trying to give a more positive spin on her intentions, since I do know people who depend on their Pell to cover practical things like their rent so they can put their earned money from a job towards school tuition. I guess people like them are not the norm though and that is sad.

Now for another gripe...
If you arrive late to exercise class and want to hide in the back, but there is no room because YOU ARRIVED LATE...do not be an inconsiderate ass and park yourself right in front of ME who got there EARLY to ensure my back corner spot. AND do NOT give me an attitude when I politely ask you to move because there is not enough room for the both of us in that SAME spot.

The 6th Rogue
08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow, looks like the court system is attempting to stem the flow of stupidity again. Starting with dress codes:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-08-16-court-dress-code_N.htm?csp=obnetwork

Lady Hefron
08-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow, looks like the court system is attempting to stem the flow of stupidity again. Starting with dress codes:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-08-16-court-dress-code_N.htm?csp=obnetwork

What worries me is that we even need rules like this. Isn't appropriate attire taught in the home anymore? sigh

The 6th Rogue
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
What worries me is that we even need rules like this. Isn't appropriate attire taught in the home anymore? sigh

That would be a big, steaming pile of NO.

Mistress Morigianna
08-23-2010, 03:09 AM
just sit anywhere people walk by and watch the parade of bad clothes choices.....

I minister weddings- you should see what people consider wedding attire for an evening black tie wedding.....(shudder)

RaevynCait
08-23-2010, 03:33 AM

I minister weddings- you should see what people consider wedding attire for an evening black tie wedding.....(shudder)

Just yesterday we were at a stoplight down the street from a relatively large local church and saw people filing out and walking around the corner to the parking lot. I looked at Erinesse and said "wedding or funeral?"
her response was "you used to be able to tell by what they were wearing..."

and that was at 3 in the afternoon!

Kae
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I teach in a high school. You should see what the kids try to wear and we have a dress code. It amazes me what they are allowed to walk out of the house in. One of the things I tell them to help them understand is the following - "If we allow you to wear this outfit, we have to allow everyone to wear this outfit. Visualize some of your fellow students or your teachers in what you are wearing." It cuts down on the sagging and the skimpy at least.
Kae

Jamianne
08-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Nope. I know parents who think that dressing their five year olds in thongs and cropped tanks that say "Von Bitch" *is* appropriate attire. Or teens who crash their teachers wedding in micro-minis and sheer tops who thought the rest of us were "overdressed".

Kialli
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
When you are at a Renaissance festival and your 6-7 year old boy is in the ring fighting a "knight" with foam swords. You do not tell him that the fuzzy tail that the knight is wearing is the source of "his power" and encourage him to pull it off. Nor do you laugh delightedly when he manages to do so, destroying a $25+ piece of costuming. *GRRRRR*

We're not period-accurate in many ways, but we do still take pride in our look!

Lady Hefron
09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
When you are at a Renaissance festival and your 6-7 year old boy is in the ring fighting a "knight" with foam swords. You do not tell him that the fuzzy tail that the knight is wearing is the source of "his power" and encourage him to pull it off. Nor do you laugh delightedly when he manages to do so, destroying a $25+ piece of costuming. *GRRRRR*

Honestly. Yet if you go up to the mother and ask for the money to replace said piece you will be thought of badly. (Ok, that sentence sounded OK in my head).

I hate people sometimes.

Andreadoria
09-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Reading this thread, I can sympathize.

Lots of people have no clue of decorum or commonsense. I have seen all that you have posted and more working at my old job in the Financial Aid department.

They came in pajamas, in underwear, and worse. Also horrid Body Oder for lack of shower or deodorant. As for the extra uses of financial aid monies I worked at a 2 year college and that money from Pell and Federal loans was used for everything but school. One student took out a $30,000 loan every semester I was there for $2400 tuition. And the almost fist fights cause they were not going to get said money cause they took classes out of major that effected their State aid. And the kicker is the VIP's at the college asking do they really need to bring in the tax papers!!! cause the student refuses to bring in the required paper work. and I could not get Financial aid back in the 80's even with my dad on disability. I have learned that a lot of students are there for the Benjamin's and not the degree at least in the 2 year colleges

And for damaging personal property forget trying to get a parent to pay one of my former neighbors kids(he was a rotten KID parents big time drunks) broke my prescription glasses he was old enough to know not to touch them he was 11 at the time and blamed 3 kids when asked what happened all 3 of those kids were on vacation at the time and his parents refused to pay. But they had money to take the 16yr old out drinking for his birthday!!

There is no respect for anyone or their possessions it has become almost a free for all now.

Stolenhalo6
09-28-2010, 12:47 AM

When a little girl used me as a jungle gym while sitting behind me at a show this year, I turned around and growled a warning to stop at her. It made her cry (I had a face mask on at the time that makes me look a bit devilish), which made me laugh, which came out more as a cackle, and that made her cry even more. Was I super horrible mean to a little kid? Not so much, she was at least 7 and should have known better. And it's not like her parents weren't sitting right there with her and were perfectly able to manage their child. Believe me, if she had damaged any article of my garb, I would have gotten payment from the parents, even if I had to take it in flesh. I'm all for the family friendliness at faire, but dagnabit, that's my playground too! And I'm not letting anyone else ruin my precious toys.

MillieWylde
09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
As a mother of a two-year-old boy ... I AGREE. If a parent cannot control their child well enough to keep said child from damaging other people and/or their property ... Faire is NOT the place to bring that child!!! :unamused: I can certainly understand there may be (rare) exceptions to the rule (a normally well behaved child trips & breaks, or something to that effect), but be aware of your child's temperment, and how breakable/damageable that child's surroundings are, PLEASE parents!!

Adriana Rose
09-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I am lucky enough that i havent had any kids damage any of my garb ( though one little girl tried to take me with her). I really try to not wear things that can get destoryed by little hands, I learned that the hard way when a little one pulled my bodice knife out when I was putting a garland on her head. O_O

My son who is 3 knows not to just grab things off of people and it makes me sad that others let thier kids do it

Mistress Morigianna
09-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I learned that the hard way when a little one pulled my bodice knife out when I was putting a garland on her head. O_O

IS THIS REAL??????? as they grab somthing dangerous........and the parents laugh!

Not just at faire- I had an exBF that had a cop for a father and he said kids tried to pull his gun all the time. They just thought it was like a video game...... (FACEPALM)

Adriana Rose
09-28-2010, 08:55 PM
The dad thought it was funny and the mom was in by about 3 beers so yea she was in the ozone.. I did not know what to do but quickly get it away from her. The good thing was that she pulled it out sheath and all that bugger is sharp!

Its annoying that people let their kids do shit like this. If I wasnt fast enough, or the kid got it out of the sheath there would have been a shit storm.