PDA

View Full Version : You know you are getting older when....

Theophilous
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
You know you are getting older when…

… you consider plucking out a grey hair, but think, well at least it is one that has stayed.

… you hear an ad on the radio, say “men, are you urinating more.” And you wonder, more than what? More than a hummingbird beats it’s wings in a minute?

… you realize they are teaching history that you REMEMBER. And the kids just don’t care about something that happened THAT long ago.

… you voted for/against the person who was president when your co-workers were born.

…you have been divorced for longer than you were married.

… you can recognize and know how to change a typewriter ribbon.

… you remember that an album used to be a book that held 78’s.

… you know what a 78 is.

… you remember red led watches, that you had to press a button to tell the time.

… you remember that the Sylvania TV’s had “the works in a drawer”, and why you needed that.

…you remember your first microwave.

…you remember when not all tv’s were in color.

… you can remember more losing vice presidential candidates, than your co workers can name, not remember, wining presidents.

… you say you are going to google something, it still sounds like baby talk to you.

… you remember thinking, but that computer has 16 K of memory. there is no way I will use that much.

… you realize they stopped making Polaroid film for your favorite camera.

… you realize they stopped making Polaroid film at all.

… you know that a Kodak brownie is not a delicious sweat treat nor a bear from Alaska.

… you can do imitations of some one that no one else recognizes. “And that’s the way it is…” (Walter Cronkite for those of you too young to remember.)

… your first car now qualifies for a special antique license plate.

… you remember shampoo came in glass bottles that you didn’t dare drop in the tub.

… you remember needing a bottle opener, to pop the top off a bottle.

…you got excited to learn that 18 year olds would soon be allowed to drink… and vote.

… you remember not having to press 1 for English.

… you remember when dialing a phone number actually involved a dial.

… you think that an electronic device flashing 12:00 is right twice a day.

… you were more worried about the cold war than global warming.

… you still sometimes call the Russians the Soviets.

… you remember Barney as some one who worked for Opies dad.

… you remember Arnold as being a pig.

… you remember when an airbag in a car was someone who wouldn’t stop talking.

… you paid more for your first house than for your latest car.

… you remember playing solitaire with out having to use a computer.

… a visit to the emergency room is considered your going out on a date, or meeting up with some old friends.

… you are on a first name basis with the ambulance attendants.

… the 911 call on the scanner says, “Bill fell down again” and you know it is for you. (Actually happened to the husband of a dear friend of mine)

… you can name all the monkeys, and which instrument they played.

… you think the Jonas brothers must have something to do with a big fish.

… the history channel has a program about something you remember actually doing.

… When the only sugar free drinks you could get were coffee and tea.

… you remember Laurence Welk as being a pretty hep cat.

… you wondered where Mitch Miller got all his sweaters.

… you had to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special, because it was only on once a year, and you wouldn’t see it again until next year.

… you remember Ice T, as a cool, refreshing drink.

…you think Snoop Doggy Dogg is a cartoon character.

… you still call him John Cougar Mellencamp.

… you remember that drinking the kool-aid didn’t used to be associated with politics.

… you remember when the government spending a million dollars on something was a lot of money.

… you remember people wearing ties to get on airplanes, instead of having to take off their shoes.

… you remember when pay phones had doors.

… you remember only having to pay a dime to use a pay phone.

…you remember using a pay phone.

…you know who John Cammeron Swazey is.

… you remember one of the big things about Banachek was that he had a phone in his car.

… you remember the phrase, “If they can put a man on the moon, why can’t they…”

…you remember being excited the first time you tried “TANG” because the astronauts drank it.

… you remember having to get to the bank during your lunch, because otherwise you wouldn’t have any money for that night.

… you remember having to go to the gas station on either odd or even days depending on your license number.

… you remember when things made in Japan were cheap knock offs.

…you remember things were made in America and not china

… you remember when things made in china came from Taiwan and not the mainland.

… you remember it was only the Russians we had to worry about going crazy and destroying the world.

… you could buy a bottle of Tylenol with out having to break through three seals to get at the pills.

… you remember when ac/dc referred to electricity.

… you remember when heavy metal referred to lead or iron.

… you remember when music had a melody you could whistle.

Shall I go on?

Thistle
05-24-2010, 07:54 PM
saw your "Scoundrel" business card made up as a bumper sticker today. Made me smile and think of you. How are things back east?

Lady Hefron
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM
...you remember talking on the phone in the kitchen because that was the only room the cord reached.

...you remember getting up to change the TV channel.

Phoenix McHeit
05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
...summers were spent outside, with a packed sandwich and instructions to be home 'before the lights come on'.

MaidenFaeSnow
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
*climbs out of the hole she has apparently been living in*

I just found out this past weekend about the Polaroid film thing.

*climbs back in hole"

RaevynCait
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
...you remember talking on the phone in the kitchen because that was the only room the cord reached.

...you remember getting up to change the TV channel.

you WERE the remote control for Mom/Dad

Your first remote control television had the following buttons:

On
Channel UP
Volume up
Volume down
Off
AND you had to periodically make sure the channel dial was pushed all the way onto the set, or else in the middle of changing channels it fell off completely

Mistress Morigianna
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Poloriod film-
they brought it back

check amazon and these sites
http://www.polaroid.com/index2
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/polaroids-one-step-film-camera-relaunching-in-2010-nostalgists/

Katrina
05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
your first car now qualifies for a special antique license plate.

Mine does in a few years. >.> He's that old.

MillieWylde
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
...you know how to dial a rotary phone. Not that they're seen very often anymore...

...it was acceptable (read: not scary) to come home and tell your mom that you just met the neighbors, were in their house, and ate a snack there. Even though your mom didn't know them.

Lady Hefron
05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
...you used to play hide and seek in the dark all over the neighborhood and no one worried about you

Roberto Phoenix
05-26-2010, 11:15 PM
I can remember pretty much all of those. Hell even 8 tracks and the Dukes of Hazzard horn were cool things. And that one singer was only called John Couger (no Mellencamp) and he was only a one hit wonder for a long time with his song "Hurt so Good"
Good lord. I still remember reel to reel players and I'm not talking cassettes

So you wanna hear what i consider the first rap/dance song from way back in 74. I still have this on an album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16kh-AP4OCU&feature=related

I also have that Archies album pictured in the video somewhere.

Taffy Saltwater
05-27-2010, 10:10 PM
There was NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS. If the President was on, he was on every blessed channel.
You remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans.
The VERY FIRST time the Wizard of Oz was on.

ShadowHawke
05-28-2010, 12:14 PM
You remember ... Sky King and Fury and the original Flicka series; along with the original Lassie, Fireball XL-5 and Mike Mercury's Super Car. And the orginal Day the Earth Stood Still had just been released to TV NBC's Saturday Night at the Movies. Where's the Geritol, quick I think I have iron poor blood, oh and don't forget Carter's Little Liver Pills. Maybe take them with some Pomac, from Coca Cola ...the soft drink from the continent. Now I'm old.

- ShadowHawke -

MillieWylde
05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Good lord. I still remember reel to reel players and I'm not talking cassettes

I remember. My dad had a collection of reel-to-reel tapes right up until a few years ago, actually... when my sister got him a little plug-and-burn CD burner and he started converting everything from reel-to-reel, record, and cassette to CD. He's nearly through, now. Managed to save most of it before they gave up from sheer age, too...

Mistress Morigianna
06-01-2010, 02:28 AM
I remember. My dad had a collection of reel-to-reel tapes right up until a few years ago, actually... when my sister got him a little plug-and-burn CD burner and he started converting everything from reel-to-reel, record, and cassette to CD. He's nearly through, now. Managed to save most of it before they gave up from sheer age, too...

one that burns them all??? where???

MillieWylde
06-01-2010, 09:54 PM
one that burns them all??? where???

My dear sister found said doohicky in an estate sale somewhere in Indiana (that's where they live). It's a little contraption that looks a lot like a CD player with two trays (side-by-side). It can be used to duplicate CDs or plugged in to any of the other aspects of the stereo system to duplicate the other varieties of audio storage. I think there were some things (reel-to-reels and cassette tapes, for example) with which Dad has to press 'pause' in between each track or it just burns the CD as one long track...

Anyway, it is a very splendiferous doohicky! :aok: