PDA

View Full Version : Fox Spares Us the Torchwood Adaptation... For Now

The 6th Rogue
05-28-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.tv.com/fox-spares-us-the-torchwood-adaptation...-for-now/story/22637.html

Fox Spares Us the Torchwood Adaptation... For Now
by Tim Surette TV.com Staff Writer 04/22/10 01:40 PM

Back in January, news broke that Fox was attempting to remake the BBC show Torchwood—a spin-off of the very popular Doctor Who—for American audiences. Unsurprisingly, fans of the original went ballistic.

But one of you must have sacrificed a goat or sold your soul to a demon, because for some reason, Fox has backed away from the deal.

"BBC Worldwide Productions and the Fox Broadcasting Company have mutually agreed not to progress together with a 13-episode serialized Torchwood format," BBC Worldwide told The Hollywood Reporter.

So if you're one of the many who didn't want to see the show get made, you can go ahead and celebrate. But you'd better make it quick, because: "We are currently in discussion with several interested networks," BBC Worldwide continued.

This is where things get interesting. Assuming the original Torchwood team is still in the picture, where would you like to see an American Torchwood end up, assuming it has to land somewhere? SyFy? ABC? Showtime? As "original" programming on BBC America?

ShadowHawke
05-28-2010, 11:02 AM
OMG!!! What a FUSTER CLUCK! America is NOT ready for TORCHWOOD. RTD's handling of the series TORCHWOOD's 1st season was okay, but the 2nd season was so out of bounds, it was not even funny. That's why BBC pressured RTD to end it as they were getting nothing but complaints over the "Gay" agenda that he had been running. Now I don't have a real problem with 2 guyz snogging each other, but NOT EVERY WEEK, every episode. No, the American viewers would have a stroke over some of the hi-jinkx going on on that show.
I really hope with the way they (BBC & RTD) ended the series, killing off practically everyone, they do not try to revive it. I think I heard somehwere that John Barrowman was looking at a roll in Desperate Housewives. I don't think JB would come back without RTD in the director/producer's seat. Only time will tell. They had a very good idea at the outset, but had to go muck it up. And he's such a honey, that JB.

- ShadowHawke -

Wasn't that the same mistake that Michael Praed (ROBIN HOOD) made... came over to America for a series, was it Dynasty ???? only to find after 1 season on the cast it got canned. He left a great series in the UK for some sleazy night time soap, they got another actor and continued for another 1-2 seasons and he flopped. :yuck:

Ysobelle
05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
...The gay agenda?

The BBC got quite a few complaints after "Children of Earth" because of the ending of one of those relationships, which had, at that point, been featured on the show for three years. Also, I don't know where you're getting your information, but RTD created "Queer As Folk," which did remarkably well. And was-- woohoo!-- all about gays. And did very well. The BBC knew exactly what they were getting with RTD when they green-lighted his show. To say that Torchwood was put on hiatus because some of the relationships were homosexual is...well, I'm sorry, ludicrous. And somewhat disturbing.

Gellis Indigo
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Now I don't have a real problem with 2 guyz snogging each other, but NOT EVERY WEEK, every episode. No, the American viewers would have a stroke over some of the hi-jinkx going on on that show.

I have no idea what Torchwood even is, but this comment baffles me.

There are plenty of series that feature men and women "snogging" every week, and if we look at daytime television, every day. So what's the problem with showing 2 men snogging every week? It's that type of thinking that keeps homophobia rolling along.
If people don't want to watch that type of "hi-jinkx", then they can change the channel.

SH, just to be clear, I'm not insinuating that you are in any way homophobic. My comments refer to the above quote alone.

The 6th Rogue
05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Sorry Gellis, I have a habit of assuming people watch what TV I do because I watch so little of it. Here's a write up for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchwood

Thistle
05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Honey, John Barrowman can snog the Bugblatter Beast of Traal and I would still watch. Have you seen that man in a kilt?!? And when David Tennant kissed him... yowza!

But seriously, American audiences need to get their heads out of their asses on some things: the whole "violence is OK, but love is not" theme disturbs me. And I don't mean sex- we get too much of that in advertising. For the last few years TV has been treating everyone as if we were teenagers trying to live in a video game. Remember when newscasts not only were neutral, but they took the time to answer all five journalism questions (Who , What, When, Where and Why)? But that is a separate rant for another time- meanwhile, kiss who you want, Jack Harkness. Some fan somewhere will always love you for it

KissMeKate
05-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I loved this show! I have no problems with anything they showed on Torchwood, however...

My fear is a repeat of what America did to Coupling ... which was Friends. Coupling was witty, hilarious, and touched the multifacetedness of friends and lover relationships. Friends, IMHO, was stupid. I would hate to see the same happen to Torchwood. After all, we weren't able to recreate Dr. Who.

Sorcha Griannon
05-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Honey, John Barrowman can snog the Bugblatter Beast of Traal and I would still watch. Have you seen that man in a kilt?!? And when David Tennant kissed him... yowza!

This. I totally agree. Damn he is hot, I joke with one of my gay friends that I would share him no problem. I must look up the kilt picture though.

Lady Sarah
05-29-2010, 12:21 AM
This. I totally agree. Damn he is hot, I joke with one of my gay friends that I would share him no problem. I must look up the kilt picture though.

http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/abarrow2.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/12/barrowmanREX271206_219x450.jpg

Roberto Phoenix
05-29-2010, 01:35 AM
Fox probably would have done what they did to Doctor Who in the 80's. One halfway decent two hour movie stretched to three and a half hours with commercials because they knew the fan base was huge in this country. Then we would have never heard anything again for years.

Sorcha Griannon
05-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Thank you Sarah.

Sorcha