PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Virginia

757RenChick
06-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Just joined - not in the thick of Faire heaven here in SE Virginia but we get out to a few and would like to travel out to more once the income level rises here. I have a lot more work now, since parts of the economy are once more in motion (it was a long three years waiting for that) and look forward to having play money again.
Working on more clothing, I am always interested in ways people make frugal re-use of thrift clothing for garb! I found some adult jumpers that became sideless surcoats in about 5 minutes each, a gorgeous deep indigo muu-muu that became an equally gorgeous deep indigo tunic in about 10 minutes, and I found some gypsy skirts that will work as-is beneath a circle skirt. So many tunic collars on things right now - it is fabulous.
Ooo - also got some closed out bridesmaids dresses, being a non-profit! Those are not ideal fibers, but reversing them to front closure produces over-dresses or we can re-use the lining and boning on the top and re-cut a new skirt from the bottom once we remove all the crinolines from underneath. Voila! (Just cover where they include the print "imperfect" or "Sample" on the side or back to stop the sale of the item as a regular dress. LOL) Hey - free fabric!
I have also purchased the equipment to dye polyester in small batches, so I will post the results once I pick some colors and a date to dye the big group of poly wedding dresses they gave me. Some I will dye with beading and lace just to see the results - should be interesting. I have detached all the petticoats and linings that can't handle boiling water, but how will the rest react? I will film the process and results, I think, just for information purposes.

Meari
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the 757!! I'm from Newport News!

I'm waiting for MDRF to open.. personally....

757RenChick
06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
August 28-29. Of course by then we are hard at work finalizing things for our event, but I think we can slip away for one weekend - I hope.
We are also working on an immersive stay project - more on that once we have a few more steps in on it but it would make SE Virginia a destination for Renaissance and Medieval reenactors, I can tell you that much.
I've been down here about 15 years, we just bought the faire we operate in 2007, though.

Meari
06-13-2010, 05:47 PM
We are also working on an immersive stay project - more on that once we have a few more steps in on it but it would make SE Virginia a destination for Renaissance and Medieval reenactors, I can tell you that much.
I've been down here about 15 years, we just bought the faire we operate in 2007, though.

You run a faire in SE Virginia??? There's a faire down here???? I didn't know that!!!

Madame Deanna
06-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Greetings right back at you!

757RenChick
06-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Yep - Harvest Faire. It is a well-kept secret, we wish it were better known. LOL
I don't want to be disciplined for over mentioning it here though.
It is a charity Ren Faire - October 8-10 in Mariners' Museum Park (Williams Field Entrance at Copeland and Warwick in Newport News.) We have four re-enactment groups, combat, horse combat/training demos, dance stage, music stage, acoustic/theater stage, puppet stage, beer & wine, on-site camping for pre-reg attendees, bonfires each night, archery range, period field games and board games, etc. It is a little more education and a little more party than most faires - but we do have a lot of fun doing it and the money goes to a local charity - the Foodbank again this year. We don't have permanent structures, so it is more of a tent event, but we put it on rain or shine and this will be our 16th year!
In 1997 we bought the event properties, name, site, etc from a group that did it the first 12 years. Many of the volunteers transferred over and stayed with the event (though we could always use more.) All our staff and entertainment is volunteer, but you would not know it from most of the activity going on - it is a pretty bold show for one weekend.
Each year we try to add more things and improve it - it has come a long way while we have run it, we just need more people to attend. The site and the activities could handle 5000 people over the weekend but we are only getting about 800, so more would definitely be merrier - economies of scale and all means most of the added people equal added dollars to the Foodbank, since we have about the same setup expenses regardless.

757RenChick
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Oops - I meant that we bought it in 2007! :P

Mistress Ruadh MacKay
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Greetings from NoVA! We'll have to road trip down to your faire in October!

757RenChick
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Whoo hoo! We will bring out the big keg. ;)
(We often end up traveling northern VA - where sitting in traffic is a sport.)

Bean
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
In Roo's case box 'o scotch is more likely than big keg, but any alcohol port in a storm I say!

Mistress Ruadh MacKay
06-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Whoo hoo! We will bring out the big keg. ;)
(We often end up traveling northern VA - where sitting in traffic is a sport.)

Sometimes sitting in traffic is a full contact sport in NoVA! *rotfl*

Mistress Ruadh MacKay
06-17-2010, 07:51 AM
In Roo's case box 'o scotch is more likely than big keg, but any alcohol port in a storm I say!

Wow! One "Big Gulp" scotch slushie and you're branded for life! ;-)

LadyLanen
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome welcome! I have family down your way! Does the event you host have a website? My crew from up here might be interested in a camping weekend down your way. October is past event season (both Fair and SCA) up here so we are always kinda sad and might make the drive down!

757RenChick
06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Well, beer and wine are all we can advertize, but we do not frisk the tents in the camp.

SilverMirth
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
welcome. I am just a bit south of you but I have heard of your event. Friend of a friend vended there last year. Welcome to the boards. I am planning on being there this year.

http://www.harvestfaire.org/