PDA

View Full Version : Greetings Ladies one and all

Manny
07-14-2010, 10:11 PM
My name is Eric (Faire name Manny) of the Local 42. I just ordered my Pin and am incredibly happy to be here!

renren
07-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Welcome, Manny!
Greetings from northern Minnesota!

Phoenix McHeit
07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Umm... sweetie... which Guild pin have you ordered?

ETA: Nevermind, I looked it up. So you're a male wench, huh? Nothing personal to you hun, but that is rather irritating to me. A woman is a Wench, a man is a Rogue. And if you're not Rogue material, well... I thought that's what the Himbo Guild was for.

Torra
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the boards!

KissMeKate
07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
A man is a Rogue. And if you're not Rogue material, well... I thought that's what the Himbo Guild was for.

Don't forget the Mercs and all of the sharp pointy things!

Manny
07-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Maryland Renaissance Faire does not have a Himbo Guild.... Besides if you look up the definition of a Himbo, many in the local 42 will tell you that it does not describe me. I have more skill than just a rennie cabana boy.

Kyrera
07-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Maryland Renaissance Faire does not have a Himbo Guild.... Besides if you look up the definition of a Himbo, many in the local 42 will tell you that it does not describe me. I have more skill than just a rennie cabana boy.

MMM cabana boys...

Sorry...

Hi welcome!

Phoenix McHeit
07-17-2010, 07:21 AM
... if you look up the definition of a Himbo, many in the local 42 will tell you that it does not describe me.

Oh I'm quite familiar with the definition of Himbo, thanks. What I'm not familiar with, Manny, is you. But since you've brought up the subject, please explain to me how you fit the definition of a wench.

Margaret
07-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Maryland Renaissance Faire does not have a Himbo Guild....

First off - hello Manny. Nice to meet you.

Actually, though - with the Himbos, if you buy a pin (or a Wench buys a pin for you) you are a Himbo. They don't have as organized a Guild as the Wenches, Rogues, Privateers and even the Mercs.

I'Cin
07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey Manny, nice seeing you today and I want to just mention a couple of things.

1. As you know, you aren't the first male member of the IWG.

2. Since you were accepted by Lars into the IWG, you don't have to explain anything to anybody else. :roll:

3. You certainly are NOT a Himbo, and I would think that the reasons a man would want to be in the IWG would certainly make him not a Himbo. In fact, a man who joins the IWG is probably at least as far from being a Himbo as any of the women who belong.

4. Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing you at faire.

LdyJhawk
07-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey Manny, nice seeing you today and I want to just mention a couple of things.

1. As you know, you aren't the first male member of the IWG.

2. Since you were accepted by Lars into the IWG, you don't have to explain anything to anybody else. :roll:

3. You certainly are NOT a Himbo, and I would think that the reasons a man would want to be in the IWG would certainly make him not a Himbo. In fact, a man who joins the IWG is probably at least as far from being a Himbo as any of the women who belong.

4. Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing you at faire.

He doesn't have to, but it'd certainly be a nice gesture.

Considering how often women aren't allowed to join male oriented organizations, it's odd how easily men are accepted in women's groups just on their own word

Lady Hefron
07-18-2010, 09:26 PM
He doesn't have to, but it'd certainly be a nice gesture.

Considering how often women aren't allowed to join male oriented organizations, it's odd how easily men are accepted in women's groups just on their own word

I, too, would like to know what makes a man a wench. I know what makes a woman a wench.

So, Manny, welcome and let us know what makes you a wench.

Ysobelle
07-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Greetings, Manny! I have heard brief but delicious tales of you!

Mistress Von Cleavage
07-18-2010, 10:19 PM
1.) Since when do we ask anyone what makes them a wench?

2.) Since when do we ask anyone if they are sure they joined the right guild?

3.) Since when did we not just make new members feel welcomed, without questioning them?

4.) Where in our rules/byLaws does it say a man can not be a wench?

As madame of Local 42 I take offence to Manny being asked these types of questions in our public forums. Manny is now a member of IWG, he is a wench and not the first male wench we have ever had, nor is he going to be out last.

I am totally shocked at these type of questions and comments being made to him as a fellow wench. I think everyone that has made these types of remarks and asks him these questions owe him an apology.

Flo Morgan
Madame IWG Local 42

PS Manny welcome to the IWG and to your local 42.

LdyJhawk
07-18-2010, 10:36 PM
doesn't take much to shock you then, does it?

Bean
07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
From our own webpage:

If you can answer any 3 of these questions with an "ohh yeah", then you are obviously a woman of distinction, a product of excellent breeding, possessed of stunning (if not vaguely dubious) talents and appetites and clearly belong in the International Wenches Guild.

Do men require an "adjustment" after kissing you?
Is your tongue registered as a precision surgical instrument?
Have you been accused of smuggling melons across state lines?
Do you really know what a sponge is for?
Was "Soak a Bloke" considered your time off?
Do you think it's wise to use ice cubes and menthol together?
Is whipped cream more than just a dessert topping?
Do men lose the power of speech when you adjust your bodice or breath deeply?
Are you vertically challenged but horizontally gifted?
Do you like to play with your food?
When removing your bra on Monday, do you find enough loose change to buy breakfast?
For instance, A True Wench should...

Remember that all men are created surplus.
Be able to procure alcohol or funds at any given moment.
Never suffer from an empty cup or have to pay for it.
Be proficient enough in neck biting so as to disable at least one (1) whole side of a man's body.
Maintain a repertoire of at least three Dirty Ballads with which to sing for her supper.
Be willing and able to prove the authenticity of her hair color anytime, anywhere.
When walking, have the flexibility when wearing a studded hip belt to butt out an eye.
Realize that, when lacing a bodice, if she can still breathe, it's not tight enough.
Be known to and easily recognized by every Rose Girl and Alekeep on a Faire site.
Be able to interrupt a scripted scene simply by the way she eats or breathes.
Maintain at least the illusion that she can "raise the dead", metaphorically speaking.
Be able to cause mustache growth on a 10 year old Boy Scout with a "wubby".
Know how to polish a sword so as to keep resulting patron drool from pitting the steel.
Strive to create an interesting pattern in her bodice tan without undue stinging or particular indignity.
Have no problem changing her wardrobe in a busy parking lot.
Master the technique of removing the whipped cream from a rose without damaging the petals.
Know all the right animal noises.
Does that sound like you? Well, what are you waiting for then? Join us!

Since most of these questions of what makes a wench are women oriented, I think we are curious as to what, exactly, makes Manny a wench. If it was only based on catfighting and bitchiness, there wouldn't be a question.

celtic wench suzi
07-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I was privilidged to meet Manny & some of the other local 42 Wenches today. He is a wonderful addition to our wench family.

LdyJhawk
07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Look I rather assume people aren't questioning that he's a nice guy, they'd simply like to know what qualifies him to join this organization geared towards those who have womens bits or identify as a woman. It's not unfair to be curious about it when someone who seems to identify as male declares himself a "wench"

Phoenix McHeit
07-19-2010, 07:33 AM
1.) Since when do we ask anyone what makes them a wench?

2.) Since when do we ask anyone if they are sure they joined the right guild?

3.) Since when did we not just make new members feel welcomed, without questioning them?

4.) Where in our rules/byLaws does it say a man can not be a wench?

1) I've many times before, asked a new member 'So, what made you decide to join us?'

2) Nobody asked if he joined the right guild. I asked which guild he joined. Big difference.

3) Many have welcomed him. A life without questions is a sad life indeed.

4) I never said he couldn't be a wench. I simply stated my own PERSONAL preference that male wenches are rather irritating to me.

As madame of Local 42 I take offence to Manny being asked these types of questions in our public forums. I think everyone that has made these types of remarks and asks him these questions owe him an apology.
You will be waiting quite a while for mine, then. I refuse to apologize for simply asking a few questions. I was not nasty or belligerent in my asking. Manny was the one to bring up the 'definition of a Himbo' and state that it did NOT fit him. It simply made sense to me to ask what part of the 'definition of a wench' he identified with. I did not keep asking when that simple request was ignored. In fact, I was prepared to let this go with a shrug of the shoulders and the belief that he wasn't courteous enough to answer my question.

Until the pot got stirred yesterday, that is. Who knew that asking a new member to tell us what made them decide to join us would elicit an eye-roll from a fellow wench and then such a nasty posting. From a Madame, even. I'm the one who is shocked, Cleavage. Shocked by your 'gunz-a-blazin' response to normal curiosity.

I'm sure if Manny is 'wench enough' he is completely capable of speaking for himself.

I'Cin
07-19-2010, 08:14 AM
2) Nobody asked if he joined the right guild. I asked which guild he joined. Big difference.

3) Many have welcomed him. A life without questions is a sad life indeed.

4) I never said he couldn't be a wench. I simply stated my own PERSONAL preference that male wenches are rather irritating to me.

[. . . ] I was not nasty or belligerent in my asking. Manny was the one to bring up the 'definition of a Himbo' and state that it did NOT fit him. It simply made sense to me to ask what part of the 'definition of a wench' he identified with. I did not keep asking when that simple request was ignored. In fact, I was prepared to let this go with a shrug of the shoulders and the belief that he wasn't courteous enough to answer my question.

Until the pot got stirred yesterday, that is. Who knew that asking a new member to tell us what made them decide to join us would elicit an eye-roll from a fellow wench and then such a nasty posting. From a Madame, even. I'm the one who is shocked, Cleavage. Shocked by your 'gunz-a-blazin' response to normal curiosity.

I'm sure if Manny is 'wench enough' he is completely capable of speaking for himself.

I apologize for the eye roll, Phoenix, you are correct, it was uncalled for. I am sorry.

But you did say that a "woman is a wench" and a "man is a Rogue," and that if a man didn't feel he fit the Rogue category, well, there's always "the Himbo" guild. Which is when he mentioned the definition of Himbo, in response to your suggestion and that suggestion seemed to imply that you questioned whether he joined the right guild.

And um, sweetie . . . . I'm sorry, I read the tone of your posts to be rather snarky, unlike many of the others who did welcome him (and thank you). If you did not mean them that way, I apologize again.

As to why he may not have responded yet? Perhaps he has a life outside of online and hasn't been back on his computer? Perhaps he felt a little unwelcome (whether you meant it that way or not) and hasn't been brave enough to come wade in the pool with us again? I've seen other newbies (and even some of us more experienced wenches) back off from using the boards after some unfortunate interactions where something was misunderstood.

Phoenix McHeit
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I-Cin, thanks for the apology and a bit of clarification.

I'm not impugning his character, or implying that he's a bad person. I simply wonder why a man - who definitively identifies as a male - would even WANT to be in the Wenches Guild. And I'm not the only one who wonders. I'm just one of the more outspoken ones. He could be the most fabulous person on the planet and I would still be curious. And more than a little irritated.

You're correct, I didn't welcome him. And I won't. I may be a lot of things but hypocritical and insincere I am not. I don't believe a man has any place in the IWG. In the process of changing your gender? Self-identify as a woman? Used to be a man and are now post-op? Sure, go on with your bad self, girlfriend. But a self-identified man has no business joining a group of women. But hey, that's one woman's opinion. I sure as hell don't make the rules around here. But that doesn't mean I can't voice dissent when something happens that I disagree with.

And as far as him not coming back...? I'll refrain from speculating as to his reasons, but he was signed in last night, and chose not to answer. So his non-online life isn't what's precluding the response. I'll leave it at that.

And Kate, you're right - I completely forgot about the Mercs and Privateers, no offense intended!

Margaret
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I have to stand with Phee on this one. The IWG is a guild for women, and as she pointed out, people born as male who now identify themselves as female.

To the best of my knowledge we have no members who are men who identify themselves as men. Until Manny.

That he mailed in his application or applied for it on line and got sent a pin don't really give it the "Well, Lars sent him the pin." stamp of approval in my book either. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Lars does not process each and every order he gets and wonders "Dang - I wonder if this is a guy."

I am fairly certain that the IBRSC does not allow women in to their guild and has, I believe, pulled the pins of the few women who possesed them (I am waiting on confirmation on this fact). That's because Rogues = men, Wenches = women. I believe that is how it should stay.

And, with this, I am also not saying Manny is a terrible person or that he should be stoned, drawn and quartered. He just should not be a Wench. YMMV.

LdyJhawk
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to stand with Phee on this one. The IWG is a guild for women, and as she pointed out, people born as male who now identify themselves as female.

To the best of my knowledge we have no members who are men who identify themselves as men. Until Manny.

That he mailed in his application or applied for it on line and got sent a pin don't really give it the "Well, Lars sent him the pin." stamp of approval in my book either. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Lars does not process each and every order he gets and wonders "Dang - I wonder if this is a guy."

I am fairly certain that the IBRSC does not allow women in to their guild and has, I believe, pulled the pins of the few women who possesed them (I am waiting on confirmation on this fact). That's because Rogues = men, Wenches = women. I believe that is how it should stay.

And, with this, I am also not saying Manny is a terrible person or that he should be stoned, drawn and quartered. He just should not be a Wench. YMMV.

Yes to this. It may sound terrible but as I've said, women's organizations have notoriously been forced in the past to accept male membership while at the same time men's organizations have been allowed their sovereignty.

If this is someone who identifies as male, presents as male, is comfortable being male..he has no place in the IWG. He may well be the sweetest person on the planet, but there is a corresponding guild for men. If he doesn't feel he fits THEIR guidelines, that's unfortunate but I can't say "hmm, you know..I AM feeling pretty manly overall I'm gonna join the rogues!" and expect them to accept it

Margaret
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I am fairly certain that the IBRSC does not allow women in to their guild and has, I believe, pulled the pins of the few women who possesed them (I am waiting on confirmation on this fact).

This just in from Dmitri: There is one woman who holds an honest to goodness Rogue's pin. She was pretty much such a badass that the guys all agreed that she deserved one. She never sent in for on though. There are also some 'honorary' pins from way back in the early days of the guild and some women who wear the Rogues pin of their deceased mate.

Phoenix McHeit
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I disagree with that, too. I don't feel women should be Rogues either. I'm both Mom and Dad to my boys - and have been for many many years. I also have bigger, more badass balls than a lot of men I know. However, I am not a Rogue. I may have the attitude of one, I may even feel more rogue-like than wench-like on any given day, but I am a woman, therefore not a rogue.

I am a Privateer, and am working on getting my Merc membership. Neither of those guilds are gender-centric. That will have to do for my 'badassery'. I don't want to try and be something I'm not. Which, in this case, would be a female rogue. Not cool.

ETA: The 'wearing the pin of your deceased mate' is just too cool. THAT I can get behind, fully.

Vyxen
07-19-2010, 04:47 PM
This just in from Dmitri: There is one woman who holds an honest to goodness Rogue's pin. She was pretty much such a badass that the guys all agreed that she deserved one. She never sent in for on though. There are also some 'honorary' pins from way back in the early days of the guild and some women who wear the Rogues pin of their deceased mate.

Dante/Donna. Home faire MDRF.

LissaRoisin
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the group Manny.

I am also curious as to why you identify with wenches? I am curious of this with every member and enjoy reading their stories

Margaret
07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
ETA: The 'wearing the pin of your deceased mate' is just too cool. THAT I can get behind, fully.

Exactly. And with doing that - you are not asking to be PART of the IBRSC. You are honoring one of their members and a loved one of yours.

Ysobelle
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Guys, Lars is aware of the sitch. Final decisions will be up to him once he settles in from his trip to Orlando.

daBaroness
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM
OK - not to whip a dead horse or whip up a firestorm. I'm afraid I agree with Phee on this one as well. It shouldn't come as a surprise. I for one, as an "experienced" woman appreciate having a group of women with whom I can relate and feel comfortable. I don't mind the banter that goes on with the rogues or other males here - as long as they know their place (LOL). But allowing males to join the wenches guild just makes it seem less special to me. I feel the same way about women having to be "the only female" in all-male organizations. We have plenty of places to mix and minger with our gender counterparts. This "place" has been special to me because it has been all (but one) female. Yes, I too include transgendered women in the female group.

And no, I don't know Manny so I'm not questioning his character - just his motives. I'm not always all girly, in fact, I'm a pretty tough old bird myself, but I wouldn't think of demanding membership in the rogues guild just because I didn't feel like the wenches guild "fit" me. I just wouldn't join.

I, too would like to hear from Manny about why he wants to be a wench. I don't believe asking the question in this particular circumstance is rude or uncalled for. When there is an anomoly, we are generally curious. I'm sure the rogues would have questions about an unknown female applying for admission to their ranks.

Call me old fashioned, but I am genuinely curious about why a male would want to become a member of a female group. Perhaps I'm over simplifying it - but my assumptions lead me to the folowing (and remember, they're assumptions since I don't have information). A straight man may want to joing the IWG thinking it would be a good place to get female attention and perhaps that somehow he'd be thought of as a stud. A gay male or transgendered female most likely identifies as a female and therefore it seems natural they would join the wenches guild. Other than those two scenarios, I really would like to know why a male would want to join the wenches guild.

I would appreciate feedback or input from those IWG members who've met Manny and might shed some insight into why they think he'd be a "great addition to the wench family." But most of all, I'd like to hear from Manny himself. I don't think the request, considering the departure from normal protocol, is out of line. I would hope that each member's opinions might be taken into account before a final decision is made, although I bow to Lars's right to make that final choice. And I would hope that upon "hearing" Manny's reasons for wanting to join, I might too lend my support.

And finally - no, we wouldn't give this same scrutiny to a female wanting to join the guild. But his application is different because he's male and there's a difference between joining the online fun and becoming a pinned member of the guild. It's my right to have an opinion on whether or not I'd want to pee in a coed bathroom, and it's OK that I want to know why a male would like to join our ranks.

daBaroness
07-22-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm wondering ...

Is this whole thread a joke gone wrong? Is "Manny" not only not female, but perhaps not even homo sapien? Is this much ado about nothing?

Hmmmmmm

Isabelle Warwicke
07-22-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm wondering ...

Is this whole thread a joke gone wrong?

We'll probably never know. He's more than likely scared off by now.

Ysobelle
07-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Lars has handled the matter privately.

Phoenix McHeit
07-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Lars has handled the matter privately.

Seeing as how it is a topic of no little interest here, I would think we would deserve at least a comment from Lars or Snipe themselves.
I'm not asking for details, but I would like to know a final decision on the whole 'No Boys Allowed' feeling that many of us have here.

Lady Hefron
07-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Seeing as how it is a topic of no little interest here, I would think we would deserve at least a comment from Lars or Snipe themselves.
I'm not asking for details, but I would like to know a final decision on the whole 'No Boys Allowed' feeling that many of us have here.

I second this.

Isabelle Warwicke
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM

I concur. I have withheld my public opinion and judgement in favor of judgement from Lars and Snipe.

Torra
07-23-2010, 06:50 AM

Recognizing that we are not entitled to their judgment call, I agree that I would like to know the rationale and outcome. If for no other reason than it gives us a precedent for the future, should this happen again.

Kialli
07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
From our own webpage:

If you can answer any 3 of these questions with an "ohh yeah", then you are obviously a woman of distinction, a product of excellent breeding, possessed of stunning (if not vaguely dubious) talents and appetites and clearly belong in the International Wenches Guild.

Do men require an "adjustment" after kissing you? (...) Does that sound like you? Well, what are you waiting for then? Join us!

Since most of these questions of what makes a wench are women oriented, I think we are curious as to what, exactly, makes Manny a wench. If it was only based on catfighting and bitchiness, there wouldn't be a question.

Just adding my $0.02. While some of the list does require girly parts, many gay men could answer "YES!" to most of the questions. I don't personally feel that it's any of my business why a person identifies as a wench.

Please keep in mind, there is a big difference between a person who is gay and a person who identifies as the opposite gender. I have friends and loved ones in both groups and we're always happy to talk about the distinction with anyone who honestly wants to discuss it.

I don't filter my conversations based on the gender (or gender identity) of the person I'm talking to, so I don't mind if a penis-wielder is on these boards. While I do question the sanity of a heterosexual man who willingly subjects himself to girl-talk, knowing that he's not going to be flirted with and fawned over, I'm a few cards short of a full deck myself!

There may need to be special tortures devised if he is a SPY who is going to report secret wenching plans back to the victims but I'm sure Local 42 interrogated him thoroughly before they endorsed his membership.

If you're still around, Manny, I'm glad to meet you!

Thistle
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Not that anyone needs my two cents, but...

When I was little I wanted to be a boy-scout. Boys had ham radio and astronomy badges. Our local girl-scouts did sewing and hiking and such. Because of my gender, I could not be a boyscout; instead I joined the girls and had fun camping and such, but always felt a little left-out.

Its one of the things that taught me how to deal with disappointment. So yeah, I learned what I wanted to learn on my own, and became a girl-scout and was happy with it.

Life is not always about getting what you want. Manny says he is not a Himbo, and that's fine. But, because of his gender he is also not a Woman Entitled to Nothing but Complete Happiness.

Sure, he may have paid, and even gotten a number and a pin. But that makes him a man with a number and a pin, not a wench. Which does not mean he's not welcome on the boards - many men post here. It does not mean he cannot wear his pin. But without being a woman, he is M.E.N.C.H. (Man Entitled to Nothing but Complete Happiness)

Hello, Manny. What a great debate you have stirred up here!

Manny
07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, Lars has handled this entire situation in private. No I haven't been scared off. it takes more than a bit of adversity to scare me off. In fact, many of you have asked a question that deserves answering: what makes me think I'm qualified?

Let me first end the speculation right here and now: Ladies, hate to burst any bubbles, but I'm gayer than a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's, Queer as a football bat, and refuse to apologize for it. I am more than a Homo Sapien, I'm a Homo Fabulous.

HOWEVER this does require a bit more clarification. SO here goes Hon!

Do men require an "adjustment" after kissing you?
All too frequently
Is your tongue registered as a precision surgical instrument?
So sharp you'll still be twitching when I'm done
Have you been accused of smuggling melons across state lines?
Do I need to send a picture of me in tights?
Do you really know what a sponge is for
Was "Soak a Bloke" considered your time off?
only if I got to do the soaking!
Do you think it's wise to use ice cubes and menthol together?
DEFINITELY!!
Is whipped cream more than just a dessert topping?
Very much so!
Do men lose the power of speech when you adjust your bodice or breath deeply?
Are you vertically challenged but horizontally gifted?
depends on who I'm with
Do you like to play with your food?
I'm certainly not a vegitarian if that's what you are asking
When removing your bra on Monday, do you find enough loose change to buy breakfast?

Phoenix McHeit
07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Yes, Lars has handled this entire situation in private.

Fine, then we need a new thread where questions can be addressed without it being personal, I suppose. Fine by me.

Let me first end the speculation right here and now: Ladies, hate to burst any bubbles, but I'm gayer than a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's, Queer as a football bat, and refuse to apologize for it. I am more than a Homo Sapien, I'm a Homo Fabulous. Oh I highly doubt you've burst any bubbles - or made any earth-shattering revelation, either. No straight man would want to be a wench. Oh and Sugar - nobody's asking you to apologize for being gay. But your orientation has little to do with the equipment you sport. Having man parts means you're a man. And I still feel men have no place in the Wenches Guild.

LdyJhawk
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
manny honey, I don't think anyone is surprised by the revelation that you're gay. Nor, I should hope, does anyone find themselves all aflutter because of it.

However, "butch" lesbians can't join the rogues just because they identify with more masculine traits than feminine. You have no place in the Wenches guild. You are not, nor do you identify AS female. You clearly state you identify as a male. A gay male, fine, but male none the less

MaidenFaeSnow
07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Manny- Hope to meet you on one of my jaunts to MDRF this season. While you can't be a member of IWG, I welcome you to the boards here.