PDA

View Full Version : A safe way to get high?

RedFox
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcgUEkBIX0&feature=player_embedded

I'm not so sure that anything is really a "safe" way to get high. And I can see where people are coming from saying that this could lead to actual drug use. But my biggest wonder is - what type of damage could it permanently do to those who are doing this "i-dosing"

Isabelle Warwicke
07-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Using Binaural tones to alter brain wave activity.

Funny....I have listened to some of these sound waves. They remind me of my Tibetan singing bowl that I use during meditation.

Ysobelle
07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Weirdly, I was just reading about this last night.

A Midsummer's Stew of Bogus Trends
Robo tripping, digital drugs, temporary dropouts, and subway hogs.
By Jack Shafer (http://www.slate.com/id/2260970?wpisrc=xs_wp_0001)

Today's other bogus drug trend comes from the Oklahoman, which ran a brain-bending article about "digital drugs" on July 12 (" 'Digital Drugs' at Mustang High School Have Experts Warning of Slippery Slope"). The newspaper reports that kids are claiming to be getting high on "i-dosers," music and "tones" they download and listen to on headphones.

For real? The feeble souls who run the Oklahoman aren't sure, but they don't mind stirring up a moral panic with their ignorance. The paper reports, "Whether it was kids faking it, the power of suggestion or a high wasn't clear to administrators who investigated the students' claims." The paper provides no URL to the i-doser sites allegedly peddling these aural intoxicants, so there's no way for the reader to investigate the psychoactivity of the beats themselves.

Another hedge by the Oklahoman: Even if "digital drugs" don't get kids high, an Oklahoma drug enforcement spokesman states, you've got to worry about them leading to "marijuana" or "bigger things." Drug stories don't get any more bogus than this.

Azura
07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I've used binaural sound in meditation before, too. It's really just useful for drowning out other sounds and having a repetitive something to listen to, kind of like how some people listen to drums or their own breathing. I suppose I could see (maybe..?) how some people might get a "high" from it, but I've never had any experiences like that... I dunno. Like I said, it's just a different kind of white noise to me.

Torra
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Oh, Oklahoman and your "leading to 'marijuana' or 'bigger things.'" (Per Ysobelle's post). I do hope that those "bigger things" are rock concerts with powerful amps.

The 6th Rogue
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Best way to get high is to get laid. May not always be the safest way but that might be part of the fun...