PDA

View Full Version : Why do "they" hate us so much?

The 6th Rogue
08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I found this a good read and good grounds for discussion:

http://www.vexen.co.uk/USA/hateamerica.html

Bean
08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
People hate us because we feel entitled to stick our noses into places it doesn't belong. They hate us because of our "me first" attitude when travelling to their countries and for our lack of respect for their culture. They hate us because we feel we should impose our way of government and society on everyone else because democracy is sooooooooo appealing.

As Hawkeye Pierce said on MASH, "all we want to do is bring them democracy and white bread".

We need to keep our noses out of the rest of the world for awhile and concentrate on our own domestic issues: oil clean up, poverty, illiteracy, hunger, homelessness and above all unemployment.

Holly
08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I found this opinion piece interesting.

Gemdrite
08-16-2010, 08:12 PM
And yet "they" have no qualms about taking our money or flaying us for not providing enough aid/support when something happens to "them." You can't have it both ways. Either we are going to be meddlers and support other countries when it is needed, or we are going to stay out of everybody else's business and they can fend for themselves when they need help. It makes me think of Robin Williams (and I've shortened all the cussing, cause he does a lot of it...):

"F-you Americans. Americans, with your Political Correct - Americans, f all of you! You cultureless crap, Americans! We hate all of you! Oh f all - Ah! The Germans are here! Hello Americans!"

Bean
08-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Gem, there is a difference between helping those who need it and sticking our nose where it doesn't belong. We had no business invading Iraq when we were in Afghanistan... GW wanted to finish what his dad couldn't and for no real reason we did anyway. Now, Sadam had it coming, but we had our hands full with our "search" for Bin Laden.

And the money we spend helping out all these other places needs to be scaled back and the difference put to use solving our own problems. If we don't get a handle on what is going on in our own country, we won't be in any shape to help anyone in the future. We appointed ourselves "keeper of the world", it's time to pull back a bit.

The 6th Rogue
08-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Bean - I actually agree with everything you said but one thing gives me pause:

We need to keep our noses out of the rest of the world for awhile

We do that and we give a few certain sections of "them" time to plan most stuff involving explosions and trying to land airplanes the wrong way. I say we do pull out and scale back a lot and also publish a lot more about how tourism is supposed to work instead of acting like lazy college activists abroad ("well I think it's supposed to work THIS way so you're automatically wrong" sort of thinking) but at the same time we do need to keep doing some things to minimize the perceived need for retaliation against us.

I want to be able to travel the world and be mostly ignored instead of wonder if this trip to where ever is where I get snatched not because of who I really am but because of who they think I am because of where they think I come from.