PDA

View Full Version : Donating usable items to the needy

Buxom Wench
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
In the past month, I have been going room by room to de-clutter my house.
Most things will be going either on to Craig's List or a yard sale.
There are some things though, that are not appropriate for either one.

Between Barry's & my travels throughout the year, we have accumulated over 4 grocery bags full of toiletries and such from hotels and planes.

I don't really use most of them due to allergies and I didn't want to throw them out so,
I called the local YWCA and offered to donate to them. They take in abuse victims, who many times have to leave their homes with nothing but what they are wearing. These small items are always a welcome thing to make people feel better about themselves.

I thought I'd pass this on for those of you who frequent different faires, travel for work or play and stay in hotels, take flights, etc., to gather these items and donate to a local shelter near you.

Rowen
08-18-2010, 03:45 PM
In the past month, I have been going room by room to de-clutter my house.
Most things will be going either on to Craig's List or a yard sale.
There are some things though, that are not appropriate for either one.

Between Barry's & my travels throughout the year, we have accumulated over 4 grocery bags full of toiletries and such from hotels and planes.

I don't really use most of them due to allergies and I didn't want to throw them out so,
I called the local YWCA and offered to donate to them. They take in abuse victims, who many times have to leave their homes with nothing but what they are wearing. These small items are always a welcome thing to make people feel better about themselves.

I thought I'd pass this on for those of you who frequent different faires, travel for work or play and stay in hotels, take flights, etc., to gather these items and donate to a local shelter near you.

Having been one of the volunteers that sorts these donations, I can tell you that they are very welcome!
You can also call the local women's shelter to see where to drop off toiletries and feminine supplies. However, please don't bring in bottles that have been opened, unwrapped soaps, or in most cases any paper products that are loose (single Tampons or pads, even if they are individually wrapped) Just throw them out, it's what we have to do.
Things we can use: Unopened hotel soaps, shampoo, body wash, conditioners. Feminine hygiene products like tampax or pads as long as they are not loose, even if they are individually wrapped.
Things we can't use: Makeup, perfume, body sprays or wipes. Facial scrubs, make up remover, acne medication, moisturizing creams or lotions. Feminine products like douches, wipes, sprays, unopened or otherwise.
In an average day, we were filling 2-55 gal drums with products that we could not accept.

I volunteer in the Omaha area, so check with your local shelter. They may have different guidelines for donations.

Lady Hefron
08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I've donated them to a women's crisis shelter. Thanks for reminding us that even the little things can be used.

Bronya
08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks Bux for the reminder. I also travel a lot and have at least one bag of shampoo, soap, etc a year to donate to our women's shelter. While the "travel sizes" at your Walmart or Target are sometimes more expensive than a fupll size, when I find things on sale, I try to throw an extra bottle in my shopping cart to add to the bag I take.

Adriana Rose
08-19-2010, 07:03 PM
There is also The Ronald Mcdonald house that can use stuff like that. It helps familys that have to be away from home when a loved one is in the hospital.