PDA

View Full Version : Movie Premise: The Switch

LdyJhawk
08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Granted, this film is bombing at the box office and came in after Bow Wow's "Lottery Ticket" in sales, but one thing disturbs me.

Why was this made in the first place? The entire concept of the film is that a woman chooses to be artificially inseminated and during a drunken moment the friend dumps out the donor sperm and replaces it with his own. Leaving aside that everyone seems to shrug it off as an accident, what the actual hell?

The female lead, one can assume, chose not to ask her friend to donate for a reason. Friend then takes it upon himself to negate her personal choice of who to reproduce with and pretty much violates her by forcing her to unknowingly produce a child with him. This is comedy? We're supposed to root for these two to end up together in some romantic twist of fate to raise their resulting offspring as a unit?

How is it some studio exec went "you know what we're going to do? We're going to make a movie that is creepy as fuck and then we're going to cast 'quirky' people so it will be more lighthearted! America will LOVE this! Plus we can make some gags about hypochondria, everyone loves those!"

I dunno, the whole idea makes my skin crawl

Bronya
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I so thought the same thing. I haven't seen it nor will I but the previews really irritate me. I know you can use the turkey baster, I have a friend and her partner who did just that. I think making a joke out of it is disgusitng. It kind of cheapens the entire process. As you mention, the littlw switch could bring on a huge bunch of problems and issues. Two thumbs down from me.

Mistress Morigianna
08-24-2010, 12:10 AM
not to mention the factor that he hasn't been checked medically or background like a doner.

I don't find it funny either. Sounds like a bad jerry springer with a lawsuit coming.......

Lady Hefron
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Honestly, all I could say when I heard about this one was "why the hell are they making this movie". The whole concept creeps me out. I heard one critic say it was a movie about empowering women to make that choice.

Bull, this is about a guy usurping her decision. Then they make a joke out of it.

Bleh

LdyJhawk
08-24-2010, 12:00 PM
The fact that people keep excusing it with "but he was drunk!" is pretty vile. We hold people accountable for violating a woman's body while drunk. He violated his "best friend" by stealing her right to choose her reproductive partner and it's ok because oh he was drunk? Bah

Mistress Morigianna
08-26-2010, 08:45 PM
it was his choice to get so drunk. it was not HER choice to have him do this.

yet another reason I have never gotten more than just tippy except for once in my whole life. I don't like being out of control and able to hurt others. (not that I did- I was at a friends hous and bummed over a boy and drank so much I couldn't walk so I went to bed pissed that i could not walk straight)