PDA

View Full Version : ***Happy Dance***

RaevynCait
08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
This morning I sent a resume over to a construction firm, in response to an ad posted on the Work In Texas website. Within an hour, they called me and asked me to come in and interview this afternoon.

Half an hour after I got into the interview, I was offered the position. It's a receptionist position, to start out. The company was started in 2007, with minimal staff and one woman doing reception, accounting, billing, payroll, HR, and project assistance (filing/contracts, etc.). Those jobs have now been broken up into accounting, HR/Payroll, and Project Assistance/billing, with those 3 people all working together on the receptionist duties, which has proven difficult in being able to keep up with their other duties, so now they've hired ME. The ultimate goal is for the position to work into more of an office manager type position, in order to free up everyone else to better focus on their actual job descriptions.

90 probationary period, after which there will be a review, possibly a raise (because she acknowledges that I have experience worth more than what they are paying right now), and medical/dental benefits.

I start tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.! ::yay::

daBaroness
08-25-2010, 12:30 AM
That is so awesome. I hope it grows into the job of your dreams. Now go to bed, morning comes early in Texas, or so I've heard! Hugs!

Andreadoria
08-25-2010, 03:00 AM
By the time you read this your first day will be over so I hope it was a great one!!!!!!!!!!!! congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Isabelle Fawkes
08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Fingers are crossed! Hope this one works out for you. You deserve some good fortune for a change!

AnnaFaerie
08-25-2010, 10:55 AM
YAY for you!

Jamianne
08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Congrats! Hope this works out into a great job for you! :)

M&S Wench
08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
::clappin:::clappin:::clappin:::clappin:::clappin: ::clappin:::clappin:::clappin:::clappin:::clappin: ::clappin:+ a million more. good for you.

please let us know how your first day went.

and again :cheer::cheer::cheer:

take care,
kat

RaevynCait
08-26-2010, 12:02 AM
My first day was uneventful, and actually, kinda boring, simply because the project assistant who has been using the desk and computer in the reception area did not have anywhere else to sit & get her work done, and the President came in after being gone for several days, and the CPA was in to work with the Accounting Manager trying to sort out some stuff that's been tangled for awhile, apparently.

Tomorrow looks to be more of a start, simply because arrangements have been made to move the pa into another office, sharing space with someone who is only there a few times a month, it seems, so I'll get my own desk, though I may or may not have a computer immediately.

RaevynCait
12-03-2010, 12:20 AM
:cheer:

This thread sorta got buried, but rather than start up a whole new one, I thought I'd just post the update here. I've been at my job for 14 weeks now. There's been a bit of drama, and some tough days, and learning to tune out a co=worker who is excessively whiney and frankly entirely too narcissistic, as well as neurotic about stupid things. At any rate, last Monday, our owner reached the end of his patience with the Project Assistant who, honestly was pretty full of her own drama and increasing that of the whiney co-worker, as well as having some attendance issues, and she was terminated from her position. I took over several of her duties immediately, on top of mine, which at that point included: Reception, Safety, logging equipment use/repair requests, working on contracts etc. for an upcoming project for an affiliated company, collecting rents on the owner's family's residential properties, and pretty much whatever else I was asked to do. (well, except filing paid invoices into the filing system that I set up for someone else to be able to use before I was pulled off that project and put on the new contracts, and she refused to do any filing, preferring to whine about needing me to do it). For about 2 months, I was carrying my personal laptop back and forth to get the contracts and their associated forms typed up and created, etc.
The last two weeks I have been busting my buns to get 40 hours in (because hourly folks don't get paid holidays, apparently), or close to it, in less than 5 days.
Today was my Friday, as I'm headed to Galveston this weekend for Dickens on The Strand. Yesterday, the boss said he wanted to speak to me personally when I got back from lunch. Somehow, between what I had to get finished, and the people he had in and out of his office, it just didn't happen, so he said we would do it today.

As of 4:45 this afternoon, I have a raise and became salaried, effective Monday morning. He said "you've proven what you can and are willing to do, and I like that, and I think you're worth it." WOOO HOOO! I am making more than the previous Project Assistant, and I'm salaried! It's not a fortune, but now I'm at what I was making 5 years ago, instead of what I was making 15 years ago! ::pinkele:

Annabella St. Clair
12-03-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm sooo so happy for you. You deserve it. Perhaps that time "off" provided you with something of value that the other employees lack.

Ysobelle
12-03-2010, 01:23 AM
That is absolutely awesome! Congrats!

Torra
12-03-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm so happy for you! That's a big improvement, and you earned it - I'm glad your boss recognizes that.

Andreadoria
12-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Hope springs eternal ...I am soooooo Happy for you ...You deserve it ...Hopefully there will be more soon. What a wonderful way to show you your worth it!