PDA

View Full Version : Curioisty, advice, catuions and anything helpful!

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 11:11 AM
As said in my introduction psot, I have never been invovled, or even been to, a faire of any sort, ren or none. I realize for going in costume, a corset will be all but mandatory so thats def something I'm trying to save money on lol but, I dont wanna go there without a single clue! So, any advice or cautions you can give me about a first faire experience.
Including:
What is the environment like?
What are the general rules?
How do you find out the specific rules for that faire tiself?
What outfit is simple, cheap, but blends in well?
What mannerisms would be approrpirate per faire?
What clothing approriate for faire?
Where could I get clothing appropraiet that would be cheap and afforadable?
What type of thigns can I expect at ANY faire?
And ANYTHING else to be aware of! As for kissing gugy sand whatnot with the cards and all that I'm jus gunna be safe, being born genetic male, and not on hormones or even long hair yet, I'm not sure that would go over well so I dont have any intentions of going out and brining unwanted attention to ymself, I jus want to know what to be prepared for the experience.

Tink
09-18-2010, 12:02 PM
What is the environment like?
That can depend on the faire, but in general... faires are festive environments. They are also oftentimes what you make of them. So go to enjoy yourself and you likely will.

What are the general rules?
I'm not sure what you mean. Faires set their own rules regarding things like whether you can carry weapons, bring in your own food/drink and that sort of stuff. If that's the rules you mean, check their website for them. Otherwise there aren't any rules. Just be yourself. Introduce yourself to people. Engage in conversation and get to know folks.

How do you find out the specific rules for that faire tiself?
See above (ie...check their website.)

What outfit is simple, cheap, but blends in well?
When I first started going I wore a simple peasant blouse I bought in the store, with leggings, boots and a belt.

What mannerisms would be approrpirate per faire?
See above. Be yourself, etc...

What clothing approriate for faire?
Depends on the faire, but there aren't usually rules as to what can and can't be worn. I've seen people in garb, street clothes, start trek costumes, and chicks wearing outfits best worn at a dance club, etc.

Where could I get clothing appropraiet that would be cheap and afforadable?
If you want genuine garb, check ebay or wenchbay here on the forum. Otherwise look in stores for peasant blouses (if you plan to dress like a woman). They are in this season so you should be able to find them, and leggings. Boots, moccasins, or simple leather sandals work as footwear.

What type of thigns can I expect at ANY faire?
People in garb, street performers shows, jousting, food, music, usually beer and wine unless it's a "dry" faire.

And ANYTHING else to be aware of! As for kissing gugy sand whatnot with the cards and all that I'm jus gunna be safe, being born genetic male, and not on hormones or even long hair yet, I'm not sure that would go over well so I dont have any intentions of going out and brining unwanted attention to ymself, I jus want to know what to be prepared for the experience.

No one runs around kissing guys at faire, unless they know them or they have zero sense and kiss strangers -- With the exception of the peck-type kisses given on wench walks...something you would not be able to participate in anyway. Gotta be a guild member and to be a guild member, you must be a female. (At some point if you completed the change from male to female, then that would be different.)
Kiss cards are generally an item that you get when you join the wenches guild. If you are given one by someone, you are not obligated to kiss them if you choose not to. In general, you tend to meet with a more tolerant group of folk at faire, so being trans-gender or a cross-dresser shouldn't be an issue. HOWEVER, not everyone you meet will be tolerant so you need to learn to read people and just avoid people who give you an unwelcome vibe. If you dress as a woman, you may come across people who think you're doing it as a joke too. Just be prepared and like I said, be yourself. Not everyone will warm to you, no matter who you are. Just as in life, some people just don't click at faire and that's okay. You'll make friends with people so don't stress over it.

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Thank you and I have been looking at the W-bay thing. As for the last bit yes no XD was nto thinkin of the kisscard thing as a full makeout jus a peck, and that last part also answers some unasked questions so that def makes some things a lot more understandable lol. And indeed I have every itnention of havign the operation but thats years and eyars in advance, but thank you again for forewarning me of that criteria.
As for jousting.....real horses and poles and such? o.o" that, would be so, well, pardon my inaccuracte usage of terminology but that sounds awesome >.<

Tink
09-18-2010, 12:10 PM
T
As for jousting.....real horses and poles and such? o.o" that, would be so, well, pardon my inaccuracte usage of terminology but that sounds awesome >.<

LOL Yes, real horses and jousting poles. It's pretty wild to see for the first time if you've never seen it done live before. The men and women that joust at faire are true stunt-pros and they put on a hell of a show!

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I bet it is! It just seems so crazy fun to watch, you have to have some real courage to do something like that!...to youtube! lol, anyways thanks again for the info :) and also if it isnt to much issue, might I ask questions about Faires as in the faire not the happeniengs.

Do they move around? As in like a carinval or circus, or is it nly one spot per faire? Are they always open or is it like a muesam, open only on the weekends at so and so through so and so? I only knwo the sterotypes, and one of the ones I know of is the people LIVE there, as in that is there life, they make their clothes, soap and such, sell it and life their life off what money they make form the time periods creations sellings and such
or is it just a palce, people go, set some things up, have a great time, and go home, take everything down and such?

Tink
09-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Do they move around? As in like a carinval or circus, or is it nly one spot per faire? Are they always open or is it like a muesam, open only on the weekends at so and so through so and so? I only knwo the sterotypes, and one of the ones I know of is the people LIVE there, as in that is there life, they make their clothes, soap and such, sell it and life their life off what money they make form the time periods creations sellings and such
or is it just a palce, people go, set some things up, have a great time, and go home, take everything down and such?

Most faires have a set site/location. Most are only open 8 to 10 weekends a season. The crafters, workers and performers, may move onto other faires, but the faires themselves don't move around. There is someone in Colorado (I believe) that was trying to build a year-round renaissance type site, but I haven't heard anything about it in years, so they may have quit the idea.
There are people that we refer to as road rennies who do travel from faire to faire and they basically live/camp on site at each location and they make their living off what the earn or sell while at faire. I think most crafters/vendors are folks who don't live on site, but just own/rent booths on site to sell their wares. Many have outside jobs and incomes as well.
This link is a good site to find the various faires throughout the U.S. I think it also lists some in Europe and Canada: http://www.faires.com/

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 12:38 PM
XD that sites how I found this guild thing! XD

Tink
09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
LOL Well you were off to a good start then in your research!

Just another quick note on living the "rennie" life. I know, given your situation that the idea of "running off and joining the circus" is appealing, BUT...just know it may not be all that glamorous a solution for you. It can be a fun adventure, but it can also be a rough one. So don't just jump into it thinking it can solve your issue of having no place to go.

Have you asked any relatives or friends for help? Sometimes all we need to do is ask someone to find the help we need. You're just 19 and I think trying the route of getting a regular job, renting a room or being able to stay with a relative or friend until you an get on your own two feet is a better option that hitting the road. The alt side of that is, if you do decide going on the road is something you want to do for the experience while you are young and have little obligations to hold you back from it, then go for it, BUT use your head and be careful who you trust and don't let yourself fall into any traps.

/lecture

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Sadly, I burnt all my bridges, I wasnt mean. I'm trans, and I was cursed with a clsoe minded family. My gradnmother ((I went there tot ake care of her, she had surgery on her ankle)) and she kicked me out, I came out to her, and thigns were alright. Painted nails one day, got sent back home. My father stopped talking to me, my other grandmother is dead, my other stopped talkign to me, and another thats stopped tlakign ot me. My mothers in jail, my step-father only stomachs me because I pay rent, but as we are being evicted, he is refusing to offer me any assistance. As for a job, I'd love one, I have put my paplication in every palce I could possibly ride my bike to or walk to, nobody is hiring. No the trans thing doesnt play a role in that as I'm not full time or even part time, they're jsut not hiring, and not having a liscense limits and inhibits my chances greatly. I am not looking to join a crafter or something as such because it would be fun, I am trying to do so because at the moment, it would be the best thing for me. It would allow me to get away from my family, and my life here, and start a new one. I would much much rather start a new life as Kaylin but if I have to continue for a longer time then hoepd as Brandan, then thats fine. I am fine with going about as brandan, living the rest of my life as such is another thing, but living the nexty opart, I can stomach it lol. I've been searchign throught eh crafters and I am at a total loss though. How would I go about talking to them, and trying to join such a group?

Tink
09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
To work at faire, you can check the websites to see if the faire itself is hiring.
To work for a crafter/vendor at a faire, it can be useful to attend the faire and talk to people and see if they need any help. The faire management office might even know of vendors looking for workers prior to the start of the season and can put you in touch with them so you can be employed right from the start of the season. Most times working for a vendor will get you a pass to camp on site (You'll need your own camping gear) and an hourly or daily wage on top of that. If you can, try to get a job with a vendor that has booths at various faires so you can keep moving with them. Not an easy task, but it is possible.
If you enjoy acting, you can also try auditioning for a faire to get on cast. That too, usually gets you a camping pass and a daily wage.

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes was gunna be looking for one that travels because if I do this I want it to become a job, not a seaonal thing but a lifestyle. Thats actually really good advice though thank you -hug- ^_^ Theres two faires here in virginia fromt eh site you gave me, IDK if they are still up, or if sinece its gunna eb cold that they're gunna be up and running, I'm gunna try and look into them. If nothing from there and I cant find anytign else, I'm getting a one way to the MDRF. One way becuz there wouldnt be any point of my coming back to heree at theat point so if things hit the worst then tis all or ntohing, wish me luck!

Adriana Rose
09-18-2010, 01:46 PM
If you have your heart set on working faire there is normally some sort of help wanted postings around the site offices. I donno how its done at other faires but that is how I find some of the poeple that work for me.

Good luck! Its a hard but fun life on the road!

Brandan Paul Graham
09-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Well I've E-mailed the Havest faire about vou7nteering at the faire. While there I'm hoping to go around asking and looking around at crafters and everything ^^

Adriana Rose
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Make sure that you talk to the shop owner or manager. Dont worry about being forward about it there is always people asking if shops need help.

Lady Dee Va
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
If you are close by the Maryland Renaissance Festival (MDRF) is going on right now in Crownsville Md near Annapolis. It's the only one I have been too so far but my husband and I love it and we have a huge rennie community there. If you are looking to visit let me know and I would be happy to show you around, I can always use a shopping buddy. As for all your questions go to a faire it is hard to describe it all. I have been told however that each one is different from the others!

daBaroness
09-19-2010, 04:24 AM
LOL Yes, real horses and jousting poles. It's pretty wild to see for the first time if you've never seen it done live before. The men and women that joust at faire are true stunt-pros and they put on a hell of a show!

Except at KCRF this year. Our ownership/management couldn't come to financial terms with our long-time jousting company, Nobel Cause. So we have no jousting this year. But if anyone goes to Pittsburgh or PARF - check out Noble Cause jousting and tell Brian (Sir William) that Wendy (the chunky former area manager) says hello.

Danicia de Lontra
09-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I realize for going in costume, a corset will be all but mandatory so thats def something I'm trying to save money on.

Actually, it's not mandatory. And there's a huge difference between a bodice (which most folks wear) and corsets (Noble dressed folks wear them *under* their dresses as actual undergarments). A lot of people wear decorative outerwear corsets.

That being said, there are a ton of Wenches who never, ever dress in bodices or corsets. One of my favourite outfits doesn't have either. I've attached some of my other outfits. The pics are a bit old, but I still keep the "middle eastern" around for when I get to hit up the faires again.