PDA

View Full Version : need help with decor ideas for party

Mistress Morigianna
10-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Help! I have been hired to be a tarot reader at a hallows party. I am tring to figure some good props/decor that isn't to expensive and easily movable.

so far I have a pretty tablecloth, scarf wrapped tarot cards and a crystal on a base that changes color.
I am using a faire goblet and have a bowl of crystals/stones to give as good luck gifts.

I am tring to think of anything else. I don't want a crystal ball because they get broke and everyone wants to play with it. (like laberinth).

help??

Isabelle Fawkes
10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Sounds like a good start! May I suggest battery operated candles or tea lites. They add a little ambiance to the setting. Also, instead of a crystal ball, how about a plastic skull (a good place for a tea lite)? You could pretend to receive messages from the "dead."

Mistress Morigianna
10-16-2010, 10:32 PM
LOL I want a skull named BOB!!!! (ok that was a dresden files joke- I'm a nerd!)

I have a lantern that I am putting a candle in (flicker battery one so no flame issues).

I have a whole card table to play with so I am still up for ideas ;-)-

Adriana Rose
10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
How about scattering a bunch of the little glass stones around, Ya know the ones that fairys give out at faire.

There is a lady that reads cards at the Colorado faire she scatters glittery confetti stuff around her area, it cracks me up some times you see HAPPY NEW YEAR on the ground. Back to the point the shiny could help draw more people in.

Oh how about some shameful self promotion and put out some catalogs and business cards around too?

Cruisewench
10-17-2010, 06:30 PM
are you going to be doing real readings or is this all just for fun? I think that might help us to make better suggestions.

Oh, almost forgot, don't over look your self as part of this. The proper "fortune teller" garb can really make your spot memorable and help set the mood too.

MillieWylde
10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
LOL I want a skull named BOB!!!! (ok that was a dresden files joke- I'm a nerd!)

YAY! That just makes me happy!! :lol: I need to re-read that series.

Jamianne
10-17-2010, 11:05 PM

You just made my inner nerd all warm and fuzzy. Do eeeeeeeeettttttt! :)

Mistress Morigianna
10-17-2010, 11:40 PM
i am doing real readings but can have some fun with the decor. It is at a private home so I think glitter is out but party "shreds" might work- they pick up easy.

Now I am really thinking of getting skull....LOL We sell a lifelike skull that is open in the back (for candy?) at the shop. It really is a toliet bowl brush (the brush is a bone arm and comes out of the top of the skull- but can be removed).......HMMMM

Andreadoria
10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Perhaps a pet ..Raven or mouse or rat or cat...stuffed of course...I have and old animated raven that yells Beware, beware the end is near...lolo

But some sore of animated funny pet. Even a furby...lolo

How about a vase full of Morticia roses you know how she used to cut the flowers off...ololo or black or red roses with cobwebs on them

ooooo a pet spider ???? fake who you whisper to for clarity...lolo

Adriana Rose
10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I am putting some fake bats on barettes and I am gonna put my hair up in a beehive and the bats are going on it. So maybe put some creepy critters on barettes or hair pins it could be fun..

OR

You could go a Professer Trawlany from Harry Potter ( I love that person)

BarbaryAnne
10-19-2010, 09:46 AM
It would be very good to calligraph a focus phrase on a small parchment-finish card to encompass all of this -- the spirit of fun but the serious enquiry. People used to readings will have no trouble with the playfulness, but people who seek readings seldom will need the reassurance -- that this may be in the spirit of fun for this party, but the reading itself will be real. As you probably know, they NEED to feel this, just as they NEED you to help them sort out their current life-closet!

Hmm, if I were going to animate a "familiar" for this endeavor, a raven (or merle) or a black cat would rock... does anyone make a furry black cat that just purrs?

A small crystal-like bowl of chocolates, both soothing for your querants and to help you commune with the spirit world ("I'll have what SHE'S having!") :lol:

Considered mild aromatherapy of some kind? Like having a sweetgrass bundle in that "decapitated roses" vase?

Have a great time!