PDA

View Full Version : WTF? You don't watch your kid and you call the cops??

Mistress Morigianna
10-17-2010, 01:46 AM
http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/11336597/2_year_old_mistakenly_sips_white_Russian_at_Boston _eatery

2-year-old mistakenly sips white Russian at Boston eatery
He's no tea toddler

By Laurel J. Sweet | Monday, May 3, 2010 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

Got milk?

South Boston toddler Jadm Moschella apparently thought he'd hit the motherload Saturday night when, while out to dinner with his parents and stepsister, he reached for a glass and began drinking - a white Russian intended for his dad!

"It's white and he thought it was milk. He took one sip and started gagging," said 2-year-old Jadm's outraged mother, Jessica Smith, 22, who immediately called police from her table at the Rainbow Dragon restaurant on West Broadway.

"I was so scared," she told the Herald. "I grabbed it out of his hand. Jeez. Try to get dinner and it's a crime scene."

Smith said Jadm's father, Albert Moschella, 35, had ordered the potent potion of vodka, cream and coffee liquer, while his daughter was waiting on a Sprite and Smith, a fruity sex on the beach cocktail.

Liang Hu, a manager at Rainbow Dragon, said the family's waiter placed all the beverages in the center of the table and later apologized for the mixup.

"The kids' parents ordered the drinks. Our waiter made the drinks. The waiter put the drinks on the table. The parents didn't watch the kids," Hu charged.

Smith acknowledged the waiter's mea culpa, but said, "My son just drank alcohol. Sorry's not going to cover it. I said to him, ‘Did you card my 2-year-old tonight?' "

Smith accepted responsibility for parental distractions as she said the drinks were served while she was gathering up the menus to give their food order. She said Moschella was reading his horoscope to his daughter from a placemat.

Paramedics responded to the eatery and determined Jadm was fine, and a grateful Smith said her son, seemingly bored with his Big Burst juice box, never acted tipsy.

"He's a smart 2-year-old," she said. "We go (to Rainbow Dragon) all the time, but I'll never go back."

Boston police spokesman officer Joe Zanoli said the incident appeared to have been an accident that fortunately ended well.

"The preliminary investigation does not show any wrongdoing by the establishment," Zanoli said. "We will look into any potential violations. If any are found, a licensed premise violation may be issued at a later date."

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1251906

Lady Hefron
10-17-2010, 12:09 PM
What a F'ING IDIOT! If you aren't smart enough to watch your kid maybe you shouldn't be drinking yourself.

"Parents" like this really PISS ME OFF. I am so tired of people blaming others because they can't get off their ASS and do their JOB. I just want to smack her.

Grrrrrrrrrrr (ok, breath in through the mouth and out through the nose)

Margaret
10-17-2010, 12:51 PM
See - I just see it as an overblown hulla baloo. The server sets down the drinks, mom is collecting the menus, toddler sees a glass they can drink out of and grabs it. It's not a tragedy, they are not the worst parents or the worst server in the entire world. Shit happens when you have kids.

To call the cops was a bit of over kill on mom's part. The only people I would have called was poison control depending on how much the kid injested.

Gemdrite
10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
"He's a smart 2-year-old," she said. "We go (to Rainbow Dragon) all the time, but I'll never go back."
If it were my restaurant, that family wouldn't be *allowed* back to my establishment. She doesn't watch her kid, and then calls the cops on the servers for doing their jobs? Uh, no.

And is anyone else confused by the ages of the people in this family? Dad is 35, Mom is 22, kid is 2...okay. Stepdaughter's age isn't given, but she's old enough to drink? Did I miss something?

Adriana Rose
10-17-2010, 07:04 PM
That was a case of ver nlowing things.

The server is an idot to put that kinda drink down with out saying what is what so I'm with Mags on this

Cruisewench
10-17-2010, 07:25 PM
And is anyone else confused by the ages of the people in this family? Dad is 35, Mom is 22, kid is 2...okay. Stepdaughter's age isn't given, but she's old enough to drink? Did I miss something?

I think it said the stepdaughter was waiting on a sprite, does that help?

As for this woman, I think she majorly overreacted, after all, it did say that the little boy took one sip and gagged, it was a harmless mistake and she should have been paying better attention

Gemdrite
10-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I think it said the stepdaughter was waiting on a sprite, does that help?
From the article:

"while his daughter was waiting on a Sprite and Smith, a fruity sex on the beach cocktail."

Cocktail = alcohol, correct? I mean, I know there are things like kiddie cocktails and such, but the article makes it sound alcoholic. It just confused me, is all.

And it says that the waiter made the drinks and placed them in the middle of the table. Mom and Dad weren't paying attention, so who's to say the waiter "didn't" say what each drink was. This woman is all over the place in the article too. She called the cops, and then comments that she went to dinner and ended up in a crime scene? A. no you didn't. B. you are the moron who called the cops! If you didn't want your dinner interrupted, why'd you call the cops?! She "accepts" the waiter's apology, but then says it isn't enough and makes a snide comment about carding a two-year-old. This woman is bathing in the drama, soaking it in like rain in a desert. And she's using her kid to do it. Lovely.

Tink
10-17-2010, 11:04 PM
From the article:

"while his daughter was waiting on a Sprite and Smith, a fruity sex on the beach cocktail."

Cocktail = alcohol, correct? I mean, I know there are things like kiddie cocktails and such, but the article makes it sound alcoholic. It just confused me, is all.

Smith and the daughter are 2 different people; The 35 year old man's daughter ordered a Sprite, his 22 year old girlfriend (Smith) who is also the 2 year old's mom, ordered the "sex on the beach like cocktail". When you read the line quickly, I agree that it seems like it was saying the daughter ordered a drink called a "Sprite and Smith" which is a sex on the beach like cocktail, but that isn't what they meant. ;-)

As for the topic....let's see how long before we hear that this woman filed a lawsuit against the restaurant for negligence for endangering her son. :unamused: Why else would she go so far as to call the cops? If she really thought her son gagging was an emergency, she would have asked for an ambulance since he may have needed medical assistance. I think she called the cops because she wanted a formal report to back her bullshit lawsuit that I bet she files. Either that or she is terminally stupid and likely dials 911 for things like forgetting where she parked her car at a mall. :irked:

I don't think what happened is so uncommon. I think kids often grab any drink they see when thirsty. The waiter isn't at fault. I won't even go as far as to place blame on the mom...even though I think she is likely an idiot. Distractions and accidents happen. Thankfully for the kid's sake, this one didn't result in any real harm. I think mom WAY over-reacted and placed blame where it didn't belong.

I do question what the restaurant manager said, which is that the waiter placed the drinks in the center of the table .....if the drinks were placed in the center of the table...how exactly did a TWO year old manage to reach ANY of the glasses? So the manager may have to amend their statement should they be sued, because that claim seems impossible and a jury would likely see it that way.... and once a jury thinks you lied about one thing, well there goes your credibility in their eyes and they start thinking that if you lie, then you must actually be liable in some way. And it does make me wonder if in fact, the waiter put the glass in front of the kid amidst the distraction of the mom telling him their orders and handing him the menus. And if I wonder, then again...a jury might too and all of a sudden a simple mistake turns into a big pay day for the "wronged" party.

Gemdrite
10-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Smith and the daughter are 2 different people; The 35 year old man's daughter ordered a Sprite, his 22 year old girlfriend (Smith) who is also the 2 year old's mom, ordered the "sex on the beach like cocktail". When you read the line quickly, I agree that it seems like it was saying the daughter ordered a drink called a "Sprite and Smith" which is a sex on the beach like cocktail, but that isn't what they meant. ;-)
Gooooot it. Punctuation, people! I was so confused, trying to do the math, lol. I was trying to remember if I'd ever heard of a Sprite and Smith before, having two parents who are bartenders. I should really lay off the cold meds, I think. Thanks Tink!

I do question what the restaurant manager said, which is that the waiter placed the drinks in the center of the table .....if the drinks were placed in the center of the table...how exactly did a TWO year old manage to reach ANY of the glasses? So the manager may have to amend their statement should they be sued, because that claim seems impossible and a jury would likely see it that way.... and once a jury thinks you lied about one thing, well there goes your credibility in their eyes and they start thinking that if you lie, then you must actually be liable in some way. And it does make me wonder if in fact, the waiter put the glass in front of the kid amidst the distraction of the mom telling him their orders and handing him the menus. And if I wonder, then again...a jury might too and all of a sudden a simple mistake turns into a big pay day for the "wronged" party.

I think I would need to see the table they were sitting at to judge that one. If it is a little 4 seater, I could see a two-year-old reaching it, especially if he is sitting in a booster seat. Especially if nobody was paying attention to him among the distractions you listed. It never says how much time passes between the waiter putting down the drinks and the two-year-old reaching and drinking it. I don't blame the mom for the kid drinking the alcohol. Lord knows we kids managed to get our hands on all kinds of things we shouldn't. I do blame her for completely overreacting and being an absolute drama queen. And I, like you, am just waiting for the lawsuit to hit.

Jamianne
10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what the "emergency" was that prompted the mother to call the cops. So the kid took a sip, gagged, and was fine. That doesn't constitute a call to 911. It's not like the waiter held the kid down and poured it down his throat or he showed any other distress.

When I was 13, we were on a plane and the stewardess accidently gave me another passenger's scotch. I thought it was my ginger ale and tossed about half of it back in one gulp. My parents certainly didn't raise a fuss. There were no calls to 911, no complaints to the airline, no lawsuits. Because their attitude was mistakes happen, no one was hurt and life goes on. (Though I didn't drink ginger ale for a couple of months after that!)

I think some of you ladies are right - these parents are looking for attention or a lawsuit to come from this. Otherwise, why would we have even heard about it?

BronxGirl
10-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Oh, please! My family would have been laughing too hard at the kid gagging to even think about calling 911.

Ysobelle
10-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Didn't someone post about this very case a while back? How did it make the news again-- was there some new drahma?

Azura
10-18-2010, 04:59 AM
My two-year-old son can get over remarkable obstacles to get at what he wants. It's like a super power. We still wonder how he does it. If he can do it, I'm sure it was a breeze for this kid to get that glass.
I'm thinking that the mother called 911 because her son was served alcohol and that's a crime. She was just too big a moron to realize that her son wasn't actually served alcohol and just grabbed at the first thing he saw like every other normal two-year-old.
As a side-note: I find it funny that the woman was acting so aghast that her son accidentally sipped alcohol (and might not have even swallowed much of that sip, if any) when she and her boyfriend both ordered alcoholic beverages.

renren
10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree, it's a mishap, blown WAY out of proportion! A server, or any restaurant staff, should not be held accountable for a customer's child!!It's restaurant, not a friggin' daycare!

The 6th Rogue
10-18-2010, 03:25 PM
One of my two year old son's many nick names is "Spiderman." He can cling to or scale any surface when it comes to getting what he wants or avoiding what he doesn't want. We've already taught him that he can't have coffee so he recognizes coffee mugs (the ones with the handles) and asks "chocolate?" first. He's addicted to chocolate milk; I blame Al Queada. Since we have tea from the same mugs and let him sip some now and then it did lead to a little confusion at first.

As for this train wreck: the mom effed up, end of story. The waiter could have put the drink right down in front of the dad and if the two year old had the opportunity it would have been the same story.

I'm also guessing from the matter-of-fact answers of the restaurant owner that this family isn't among his more welcomed guests.

Kathryn Blakeley
10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
You know, it kinda reminds me of one of my earliest memories involving a fridge in my life.

I was about 3 or 4 years old and was thirsty so I went into the fridge and there was a small dixie cup. I didn't question it, look, or anything. It almost looked like apple juice. It turned out to be some white wine. I spit it right out and yelled to my Mom that the apple juice went bad.

Did my parents blow a fuse because they had left a cup of wine in reach of a young child? Nope. Mom thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever done. This mother just seems to be blowing things out of proportion.

And 6th, your son sounds adorable!

The 6th Rogue
10-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks, Kathryn, we certainly think he is. ;)

I've lost track of how many times I've said to my boy "no, this is coffee, it's the only thing that lets momma and me keep up with you." He just nods sagely and goes back to planning world domination.

If I were the restaurant proprietor I'd have called child services explaining my concern that if the mom is so reactionary as to call the police instead of an ambulance or even just check to see if her child is OK then what must happen at home when the kids do something "wrong."

Adriana Rose
10-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Thats great lol.

My son says coffee makes him 'neeze. This summer at faire he grabbed my mug (wich had coffee) and the look on his face was priceless.

The person who taught me how to wait tables told me to always tell wich drink is wich and to keep the grown up drinks outta the reach of kiddos

daBaroness
10-19-2010, 12:43 AM
It was a mistake. And a sip or two of a drink won't hurt the thirsty 2-year-old. It was a complete over-reaction by the parents - but sadly not uncommon in this over-litigious, blame-someone-else society.

Guess I'll sue my mom and my grandparents who routinely gave us whiskey, honey and lemon juice when we had a congested cough. Funny how it worked wonders to sooth our throats, stop the coughing and allowed us to sleep peacefully. And wow, I'm pretty much a non-drinker - funny how that happened.

Great googly-moogly. Much ado about nothing.

Tink
10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Guess I'll sue my mom and my grandparents who routinely gave us whiskey, honey and lemon juice when we had a congested cough.

Yeah I better get that lawsuit filed against my dad for giving me blackberry brandy when I was congested as a kid. :wink:

Shame on our judicial system for allowing frivolous lawsuits to become acceptable. Stupidity equals jackpot dollars. No wonder I'm broke. ::kooky::

Mistress Morigianna
10-20-2010, 02:43 AM
it also bothers me she called 911. There was no blood, broken bones or anything. If at all the child got 1 mouthful of the drink. Not life threatening.

What if she took an abulance & cop away from a REAL EMERGENCY!