PDA

View Full Version : Holy shnizzle I'm spun up.

SpeedKnight
11-08-2010, 07:04 PM
A Norfolk, VA TV station posted something about shootings near an area HS on its Facebook page. One woman posted the following (gross spelling errors are hers, not mine):

My son isn't going to Granby yet he's got a few more years, but violence is even in the elementary schools now. My son goes to an elementary school between Granby St and Tidewater Dr and they've had 4-5 fights already this school year. My son has been threatened by another student at his school. The Bored of Education and the schools need to start cracking down on the students more. This is ridiculous that this is starting at the elementary school level and continuing on to high school.

I snapped and posted the following:

Why don't PARENTS start cracking down on students? If your kid is a bully, odds are that it's your fault. If your kid can't behave at school, odds are that you're to blame.

Why is there so much violence in school today? Because society as...(tharr be more) a whole, in the USA, has been so wussified that it's "bad" to punish your kid. NEWS FLASH, AMERICA: "Time Out" DOES NOT WORK. What works you ask? A belt to the backside. A literal slap on the wrist.
How often did you hear about a school being shot up back in the '70s and '80s? Never. Why? Because our parents would bust our butts if we got out of line. Sadly, some whiney, sniveling no goods couldn't take it and they made the general public start believing that corporal punishment was "bad." Now, you have parents who get put in check by their kids. I've seen it all to many times... and had I treated my mom or dad the way I've seen some kids treat theirs, I'd have had a belt across my bottom end.

If you wanna fix the problem, punish your damned kids the right way. Stop raising more whiney, sniveling no goods because they end up shooting up their schools!

PARENT... it's a verb as well. So stop putting the responsibility on the school boards and facualties and take some yourself.

Am I right or am I just starting some shit?

Lady Sarah
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Jesus.

I think I just came.

::clappin:

ETA: You're gonna get shit for this, by the way. Major storm blowing out of this one. In general, our precious adults don't like to hear that they're at fault or that they didn't do their job as a parent or that they're not a good parent. Parents don't like to be told that their children are animals or are less than perfect. They prefer their silver lining, head in the sand, whatever. So long as it's someone else's fault, not theirs, life is kosher for them.

Margaret
11-08-2010, 07:37 PM
It will be more than interesting to see how people will react to your response. You will be either canonized or crucified.

Either way, it needed to be said.

SpeedKnight
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I think I just came.

HOT DAMN, I'M GOOD!!! :twisted:

::clappin:

ETA: You're gonna get shit for this, by the way. Major storm blowing out of this one. In general, our precious adults don't like to hear that they're at fault or that they didn't do their job as a parent or that they're not a good parent. Parents don't like to be told that their children are animals or are less than perfect. They prefer their silver lining, head in the sand, whatever. So long as it's someone else's fault, not theirs, life is kosher for them.

That's all BS. Where schools are somewhat to blame, it's mostly the parents of today that are the problem with kids today. Anyone that can't see that has issues.

It will be more than interesting to see how people will react to your response. You will be either canonized or crucified.

Either way, it needed to be said.

So far, it seems I'm being canonized... I've gotten 8 "likes" for that post and a couple agreements in the thread.

And, yes... it did need to be said.

RaevynCait
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM
::clappin: Somebody hit Speed with a rep point for me please...

You will probably catch some shit over it, but you speak the truth. We didn't get in trouble in school because we knew that when we got home, we would be in MUCH MORE trouble. Licks/paddling at school were nothing compared to the spanking we would get when we got home.

We had respect for our elders, and educators actually had some authority in the classroom to 1. TEACH THE SUBJECT, and 2. Discipline the children who needed it.

25 years ago, I wanted to teach, because I liked kids, and saw it as an opportunity to help shape the future. Now, I wouldn't teach for anything because the teachers have to help the students memorize information and regurgitate it on the standardized test of the day, and if there's a discipline problem, well, too bad, little Johnny simply cannot be held back or be disciplined because it's obviously not his fault he's bad, the system has unreasonable expectations, or whatever.

My mother taught for many years. Her last position prior to retirement was Computer Literacy, a 7th grade, 1 semester required course. The first day of the school year, she greeted each class with "I am Ms. Rodenmayer, and I am the Meanest Teacher in this entire school. I want you to be sure to tell your friends who will be in my class next semester that too." By the end of the first 6 weeks, they knew full well that she wasn't really mean, but they respected her and she NEVER had a discipline problem in her classroom, even with students who had behavioral issues in other classes. Her second semester classes gave her the same respect. She didn't take shit off ANY student, or parent, and they knew it, AND spread the word. She wouldn't last a day in the current public education system in Texas for sure.

Phoenix McHeit
11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Am I right or am I just starting some shit?

Yes. To both questions. And it was beautifully, eloquently stated dear.

Thank you for doing so. :thumbsup: :ilu:

Oh, Raevyn - I repp'd him because I wanted to, not cuz you asked. Neener neener! :-D :snicker:

Seriously though - I'm raising my boys like I was raised...and that's probably why they're respectful, responsible-for-themselves, courteous young men. And that ain't just Proud Mama talking - that's total strangers coming up to me and saying so. Sadly, I get the comments prefaced with "I just had to say something, because you don't see this every day..." *sigh*

SpeedKnight
11-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes. To both questions. And it was beautifully, eloquently stated dear.

Thanks.

Thank you for doing so. :thumbsup: :ilu:

I had to. It needed said.

Oh, Raevyn - I repp'd him because I wanted to, not cuz you asked. Neener neener! :-D :snicker:

LMAO!!

Seriously though - I'm raising my boys like I was raised...and that's probably why they're respectful, responsible-for-themselves, courteous young men. And that ain't just Proud Mama talking - that's total strangers coming up to me and saying so. Sadly, I get the comments prefaced with "I just had to say something, because you don't see this every day..." *sigh*

You can ask any CTRF regular (PansyFaye, Lady Annisette, Lady Hefron to name a few) about my kids. They know that if they act up, SM and I WILL find out, and there WILL be hell to pay.
And it is sad that such a statement has to be a preface.

Gemdrite
11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it's true. Yeah, it's probably pointless because those parents who need to hear it are the ones in denial. I busted a couple of kids for cheating a couple weeks ago. I'm talking, word for word complete sentences, including spelling errors. (At my grade level, I would say this is absolutely impossible to achieve even without the spelling errors. They haven't figured out how to express themselves well enough to have the same long answers.) I called them both on it, gave them a warning that showing answers is *not* helping each other, it's cheating, and if it happens again they'll get zeros. The next day one of the parents talked to me about how impossible it was that their child could have done it, and no matter what proof I showed, there was just NO WAY that it could possibly have been their child, that the other child must have been listening when the parent helped the child with the homework. *sighs*

Ravin' Raven
11-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Well of course not: especially by YOU (I mean me). What could YOU (I mean me) possibly know about raising children when you (I mean me) haven't pushed one out. How could you (I mean I) possibly extrapolate all of the visual and physical evidence that's out there and our own life experiences and make ANY conclusions. Geesh woman! :snicker: I mean if you haven't done something how can you judge it: I've never jumped off a bridge so I can't possibly make an informed decision that it probably is not a good idea by seeing the aftermath of other folks and objects doing it. So I guess I better remain silent on the subject...:mmph: or not....::ike::

Speed - what you said.

And I'm not a total stranger but I'll agree about Phee's boys. Lovely young men. Better behaved than many grown adults I know.

KissMeKate
11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I have to agree with the other's that I'm very glad to have gone through the public school system when I did. I was bullied in school (I was a geek), but it never got further than verbal (which is abuse enough). But I have found memories of being challenged by great teachers, as well as being bored to tears. But I hope that the teachers are behind you, Speed. Teaching has to come from both parents and teachers. Where the he$$ did responsibility go in this country?

Lady Hefron
11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
You can ask any CTRF regular (PansyFaye, Lady Annisette, Lady Hefron to name a few) about my kids. They know that if they act up, SM and I WILL find out, and there WILL be hell to pay.
And it is sad that such a statement has to be a preface.

Yup, Speed's kids are some of the best behaved kids I've ever met.

Bravo Speed. This is one of the reasons I love you...you tell it like it is and aren't afraid of the consequences.

MaidenFaeSnow
11-09-2010, 10:57 AM

It still floors me that I get hugs every time I see them, they seem genuinely happy to see me and ask how I am doing. Most children their ages don't seem to want adults around.

MillieWylde
11-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I would just make a quick note, if I may ... there are some kids who respond well (read: shape up their behavior) based solely on something as simple as a "talk with a parent" or a "time-out". However, if that doesn't work, I can see the need to find a harsher line of punishment.

I'm definitely all about teaching youngsters to 1) mind their manners, 2) respect their elders (parents AND others), and 3) LOVE TO LEARN. The combination of the three would leave school with a much brighter appeal than what kids mostly expect (and for that matter experience) in schools. While the parents should bear the brunt of instructing a child in proper behavior, I would also point out that the kids don't think everything up by themselves - they do observe adult behavior, that of other kids, AND whatever TV or movies they are allowed to watch at home, too!

By the way, nothing against public schooling, but I think I'm gonna try to homeschool my boy. At least for a few years. I can already see other kids' influence on his behavior, just based on what he observes at daycare. *SIGH* :unamused:

*~*~*~*~*

It's a tangent topic, but I know this lovely little song, that you might find amusing (ever meet that parent who can't watch their child take a step without being afraid for the kid's well-being?)...

Be kind to your parents,
though they don't deserve it -
remember that grown-up is a difficult stage of life.
They're apt to be nervous,
and over excited -
confused from their daily storm and strife.
Just keep in mind,
though it seems hard, I know...
most parents were children long ago.
(Incredible!)
So treat them with patience
and kind understanding
in spite of the foolish things they do,
some day you might wake up and find
you're a parent too!

SpeedKnight
11-09-2010, 10:56 PM
It still floors me that I get hugs every time I see them, they seem genuinely happy to see me and ask how I am doing. Most children their ages don't seem to want adults around.

Unless my sons really know you, they'll be respectful to you but won't act as if they want you around. They're more likely to act completely indifferent, honestly. Once they get to know you, they're still very respectful, but they'll take great effort in talking your head off. LMAO. If anyone can attest to that, Lady Annisette surely can. LOL
My daughter on the other hand will LOVE to talk your head off from the instant she sees you. She's also very respectful.