PDA

View Full Version : Royal Engagement!

Rowen
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
William and Kate are finally getting married! It's abut time they announced it, I figured he had popped the question months ago.
The best part for me? He used Diana's (in)famous sapphire engagement ring, and I hope it will bring more happiness to Williams' bride than it did to his poor mom.
I'm sad that Diana will miss this.

Man, I feel old, I watched his parents' wedding. *sigh* I was living in Germany at the time, and I remember that all of Europe went crazy with royal wedding mania.

Lady Hefron
11-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Let's just hope that William is a better man than his father.

Ysobelle
11-17-2010, 03:26 AM
His father isn't a bad man. He was just stuck in an unfortunate marriage.

Dedeley
11-17-2010, 05:28 AM
I just can't wait to see the dress, and the tiaras, and the carriages and all the pomp and circumstance that only the British do so well. It's a huge treat for us Costume Drama Movie Sluts.

Rowen
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I just can't wait to see the dress, and the tiaras, and the carriages and all the pomp and circumstance that only the British do so well. It's a huge treat for us Costume Drama Movie Sluts.
That's why I watch these things :lol:
Perhaps the press will be distracted from the Kardashian clan and the Lohan Debacle for awhile...:cheer:

Lucy
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I was so stinking excited to hear about all the hooplah! :lol: I definitely can't wait until the "big day." Even better was the fact that I *just* bought a cream colored coat that looks exactly like the one that the bride-to-be keeps popping up wearing in recent photos 8-)

Lis Elfwench
11-17-2010, 09:33 PM
His father isn't a bad man. He was just stuck in an unfortunate marriage.

And it wasn't like Diana was a saint. She might have done a lot of charitable and wonderful things for the public, but from the things that have leaked out, she was no perfect wife and mother. They should never have married; they were simply not suited for each other, and Diana was not emotionally suited to be part of the Royal Family. I wish Kate luck - I certainly wouldn't want to become a princess!

Drea Beth
11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I wish Kate luck - I certainly wouldn't want to become a princess!

More than likely, she will become queen.

Lis Elfwench
11-18-2010, 12:00 AM
More than likely, she will become queen.

But she'll never be queen the way Elizabeth is queen. She will be married to William, so if he becomes king, she'll be his consort and hold the title of queen. She won't be queen as in ruling-the-country, though, because should William die, the throne will go to Harry.

And lucky her. Because if there's anything worse than being a princess, it's being a reigning queen.

Rowen
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Kate will get the queen's crown, while Wills will wear the state crown his grandmother wears now during official engagements. Man, it's been almost 59 years since the last time there was a Queen Consort in England. and it's likely to be closer to 80-90 years by the time we see the next one.

Trivia: There have been only 4 Kings by the name of William, none of which married a Catherine....
Wills will be King William V.

Tink
11-18-2010, 01:10 PM
It's all titles ladies. The royals have no actual power, so Kate can be Queen of all Fluff for as much as reigning queen means anyway. lol And in actuality, she may never even get to be queen of anything since after Queen Elizabeth, the throne will go to Charles and if he lasts as long as his mum, then William will likely not be king until he is quite old.

Anyway, I think it's happy news and will enjoy watching the event with all its pageantry. I think the royals have learned a lot from what went on with Charles and Diana, so I suspect that this marriage should be a smoother ride AND I think William and Kate chose each other rather than being pushed into a relationship as Charles and Diana were so they have that going in their favor.

daBaroness
11-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I for one wish them every happiness. I think they're actually marrying by choice and for love rather than being the unfortunate victims the antiquated system Charles and Diana were forced to play out. William's parents unwittingly paid it forward so that William wouldn't have to marry the royal lineaged, vestal virgin. Can any of us even begin to fathom the life in a fishbowl the royal heir has been forced to live? I do believe Wills and Kate have as good a chance as anyone to have a good marriage.

I know the royals don't have any real power, but I would be saddened to see the end of the English monarchy. There truly is something to be said for a tradition that goes back so many centuries. I believe it's somehow comfortaing to most of us. And in a day where ubbercasual and haphazzard are all the rage, I love the pomp, ceremony, formality and courtesies that have seemingly all but disappeared.

As much as I love the comfort of my blue jeans, I still love to get dressed up for a nice occasion and knowing which fork to use at a nice dinner. That's what the monarchy represents to me - an almost bygone era where dressing properly for a nice occasion, pulling out the good manners and enjoying the feeling of dressing up were special. I think that's why I like faire - when I put on a costume it somehow changes me inside as well.

So good luck and much joy to Wills and Kate!

Ysobelle
11-18-2010, 09:52 PM
There's a lot of modern anti-Monarchy feeling in the UK, but I think if anyone actually tried to get rid of the royal family, Britain would go into convulsions. I think that if you scratch even the most up-to-date Londoner, you'll find a wide streak of traditionalism. I also think, though, that a right proper royal wedding will do wonders for the family's image.

Lucy
11-19-2010, 01:02 PM
About titles...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/16/uk.prince.william.engaged/index.html?iref=obinsite (http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/16/uk.prince.william.engaged/index.html?iref=obinsite)

-snip-
Clarence House refused to say what Middleton will be called after she gets married, saying any styles and titles are at the discretion of the queen.

Gellis Indigo
11-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Save the date! The big day will be Friday, April 29, 2011.

Lucy
11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Save the date! The big day will be Friday, April 29, 2011.

I can't believe how excited about this I am! lol...

Dedeley
11-24-2010, 09:32 PM
We're all excited cause there is going to be a great dress!

I am also a fan of the monarchy in England as a great symbol of history and tradition. What country in the world has not had an idiot at the helm at one time or another?

My mother lived through World War II in England, and she always spoke of the Royal Family, in particular The Queen Mother, as being great role models during that trying time.

The monarchy in Great Britain is simply part of Great Britain. It's part and parcel, like tea, London Fogs, beautiful gardens, double decker buses. I cannot imagine the country without a monarch there to carry on such history.

Sometimes tradition, history, pomp, and a nod to an older age are very worthwhile. That's part of why I am interested in history, which led to studying historical clothing, which led to reading every book I could possibly find on Queen Elizabeth I, which led to .................

However, I was simply BORN a wench!