PDA

View Full Version : Zero Tolerance in school gone wrong

erinrai
12-03-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=201011110370

A female student reports to the office that she was taken into a bathroom and raped. School tells her to write a report on it and doesn't call the police.
Discuss.

Blue Pixie
12-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Well... someone better lose there job. It's a well know fact that teachers and administration has to report anything that could be abuse to a child- because if you even suspect abuse and don't report it- your job is lost!!

Isabelle Warwicke
12-04-2010, 03:43 AM
I hope she can identify her attacker. And I fervently hope he isn't some nephew of the Superintendent or some such ridiculousness.

Phoenix McHeit
12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
*warning* Unpopular opinion here.

The girl 'managed to escape her attacker, then hurriedly put her clothes back on, before going to a women's restroom...'

Sounds fishy to me. Methinks there's a bit of teenage drama going on here.

That being said, I agree that admin needed to report what the girl alleged happened. Then it's out of their hands and into police.

Lady Hefron
12-04-2010, 11:08 AM
ARRRGGGHHHH

This stuff is reported to the police and they are the ones who investigate. Making her write a "one page thing", my head is going to explode over this.

Ravin' Raven
12-04-2010, 11:15 AM
ARRRGGGHHHH

This stuff is reported to the police and they are the ones who investigate. Making her write a "one page thing", my head is going to explode over this.

I did not get the impresion she was writing some English lit requirement but, rather, that he was writing out a detailed account (the word REPORT is used by the police too) of what was supposed to have happened. Or is there some part of this article I missed? I also think there is not nearly enough information in this article to begin the villification process. I need more data

erinrai
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Updates: Arrest made
http://www.wthr.com/story/13513435/police-make-arrest-in-muncie-central-rape-case

and trial date set

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20101123/BUSTED/11230337/March-trial-set-in-Muncie-Central-High-School-rape-case

Isabelle Warwicke
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Updates: Arrest made
http://www.wthr.com/story/13513435/police-make-arrest-in-muncie-central-rape-case

This is what bothers me:

Police say that extra time allowed the accused male student to leave the school, go home and change clothes, and also let him know that the victim had reported the incident.

Police say the teenage suspect also washed the clothes he had on at the time of the alleged assault.

Blue Pixie
12-05-2010, 12:36 AM
*warning* Unpopular opinion here.

The girl 'managed to escape her attacker, then hurriedly put her clothes back on, before going to a women's restroom...'

Sounds fishy to me. Methinks there's a bit of teenage drama going on here.

That being said, I agree that admin needed to report what the girl alleged happened. Then it's out of their hands and into police.

I agree it's a bit fishy- but either way the admination should have contacted the police ASAP. Then they could get to the bottom of this. Now it's going to be a lot of he said she said because other students were allowed to use the bathroom that the incident took place and the kid washed his clothes (also fishy to me).

To many fishy things for me but it's the school districts fault and they are going to pay dearly for it. Dumb asses!

daBaroness
12-05-2010, 03:32 AM
This just kinda blows my mind. I get that teenage drama happens and people too often fabricate wild tales of attacks, etc., to get revenge on someone ... but holy cow!

Err on the side of caution - especially where kids are involved. School officials have no business doing their own "investigation" before calling the police. If the girl lied, she'd be found out soon enough and would have to answer for her transgression. But to keep someone waiting in an office while possible biological evidence errodes it NOT within their purview.

Good thing it didn't involve a child of mine - I'd have had that principal's job in two shakes. I'm guessing from his not-so-well-crafted post-incident comments that he either was completely oblivious to what was taking place in his own school, or realized he's screwed himself. To me, either way he should be gone - and so should any other staff members who designed, followed or chose to try to keep this an internal matter - circumventing law enforcement, the student's family and the student herself from seeking help.

What the hell ever happened to decent people and common sense?

Blue Pixie
12-05-2010, 04:29 AM
This just kinda blows my mind. I get that teenage drama happens and people too often fabricate wild tales of attacks, etc., to get revenge on someone ... but holy cow!

Err on the side of caution - especially where kids are involved. School officials have no business doing their own "investigation" before calling the police. If the girl lied, she'd be found out soon enough and would have to answer for her transgression. But to keep someone waiting in an office while possible biological evidence errodes it NOT within their purview.

Good thing it didn't involve a child of mine - I'd have had that principal's job in two shakes. I'm guessing from his not-so-well-crafted post-incident comments that he either was completely oblivious to what was taking place in his own school, or realized he's screwed himself. To me, either way he should be gone - and so should any other staff members who designed, followed or chose to try to keep this an internal matter - circumventing law enforcement, the student's family and the student herself from seeking help.

Common Sense- what is that!?

Anyway- either way it's a bad situation cause if she lied then the proof for her assucer innocents is down the drain. Although he did say he did do something to her so I guess that part doesn't matter but if he didn't it would be a sticky situation trying to find out who lied and whose telling the truth.

Lady Hefron
12-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Political Correctness, Zero Tolerance policies and an overly litigious society happened.

Meari
12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
It's starting earlier and earlier. Collages (Especially smaller ones) are notorious for letting campus police handle rape cases. I remember hearing multiple reports of women on my campus that reported that they'd been raped, only to have the city police bounce the case back to campus... where the rape was mediated.. and handled like a roommate dispute.

The 6th Rogue
12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I had an eyebrow up about the whole thing until this part of the last article:

In an interview the day of his arrest, Moore allegedly told a detective he knew he had "crossed the line" with his accuser, saying that she had both tried to push him off her and told him he was hurting her.

Sounds like it could have been hormone induced fooling around that went to far or text book rape or just plain community-wide stupidity boiled down to a single example.