PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

Azura
12-04-2010, 03:31 AM
I have a close friend that has been developing his skill as a blacksmith for the last several years and really wants to do it for a living. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or advice on how he might be able to achieve this particular dream. How does one go about making money blacksmithing?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Isabelle Warwicke
12-04-2010, 03:44 AM
I would try finding a company that makes wrought-iron custom work for homes. Scads of money in that.

Mistress Morigianna
12-04-2010, 05:41 AM
demos for schools & historical groups like sca & renfaires plus black powder & civil war groups.

making knives is always a seller....

we are looking for someone to make eating wear the dragon ended 2 prog forks were populare before the person making them passed away.

I would love a new set of lantern poles and tent pegs.

Buxom Wench
12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
demos for schools & historical groups like sca & renfaires plus black powder & civil war groups.

making knives is always a seller.....
There is also the idea of a Living History Museum. We have one local to our area and they have folks like that there doing all sorts of demostrations and selling their wares.

The 6th Rogue
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
eBay and Craigslist. You'd be amazed how much hand crafted stuff you can sell there.

Margaret
12-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Check in to places like a theme park.

Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN has a working black smith's shop. Sure, it's not full time work, but the apprenticing would help him out too.

Rowen
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Excellent idea. That would be the coolest entry level job ever!

Vyxen
12-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Try seeing about setting up an Informational Interview with someone at this company:

http://www.hubbardtonforge.com/

Azura
12-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! You wouldn't believe how flattering and motivational it's been for him. :-D