PDA

View Full Version : Big Move!

EvilKittie
01-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Well my fiance and I are moving on down to Georgia from Wisconsin in 2 months and was wondering how the ren faire is down there?

Also, the weather? the bugs? the people?? The most I have ever stepped foot in GA was a few months ago when we had a connection flight through there to Florida. So I will be totally lost! I still need to search for a job down there.

MillieWylde
01-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Well, I can't exactly speak for Georgia (I live in NC) but the people here in the eastern mountains seem to be fairly universally friendly in my experience. Here's hoping your move goes smoothly and you find yourself in a part of the world you enjoy!! Welcome to the Southeast. :-D

tsuzian
01-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Welcome to Georgia!
It will be a big change from Wisconsin, I'm sure!
A few quick comments

The weather is (Usually) warm -- Today we have SNOW!! Amazing! But the humidity is what will get you. You will need LOTS more water.
We have fit about snowstorms, not only because we're not used to it, but also because the weather doesn't Stay Cold, usually the snow melts during the day and refreezes at night and we can't drive on Ice!
The bugs don't always die here, because it doesn't always get cold enough for long enough to kill them. So you can have mosquitoes in December!
It seems like a cliche, but the pace really is slower here. This is the one my former boss from Ohio couldn't deal with. It drove him crazy that he had to wait longer for answers from others here than he was used to.
Don't try to plant the Kudzu!! :lol: It's the vine you see along the sides of the highways. Yes, it is a nice ground cover. Yes, it does have pretty flowers.Yes, it does a great job of preventing soil erosion. Yes, it really does grow 3 feet a day!
I don't have another faire to compare GA Renn Faire with, but it seems to be pretty good. They have been revamping in the last few years, after a move to a great new site.

That's all I can think of as "First Impressions"
Where are you going to be?

EvilKittie
01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
We are going to be in Alpharetta. I am mostly concerned with the poisonous spiders, the palmetto bugs and scorpions(?). Lol. Being from Wisconsin, I'm not used to these things!!

tsuzian
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
In Alpharetta, I think your biggest problem will be the Traffic!!
The palmetto bugs are annoying, but not usually a big problem. You'll see snakes and spiders, but I doubt you'll run into any that are poisonous. I think city life doesn't agree with them. :-D

We get big "writing" spiders -- the kind in "Charlotte's Web" and Lots of little ones, and little garden snakes, mostly, but they're all Good things. If you leave them alone, they'll generally return the favor. A good exterminator can take out most of them/
Although, I do think I've heard about Bears and Coyotes being seen around the Atlanta area.

I'm in Augusta, on the other side of the state.

EvilKittie
04-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Well we made it to Georgia! Been here for about a month. I now see what you mean by the pace is slower, lol. It does drive me nuts! I am currently looking for a job since I don't have one and its taking FOREVER to hear back about anything. Plus, I think I talk faster than most people down here ::ike::

I have experienced rush hour driving in downtown. HATE IT! But at least most people are kind enough to let you in if need be. But overall, I like it down here!

We are headed to the faire on the 30th, when a friend comes from Wisconsin to visit us. I'll be in garb, so I'll have to slap something together for her to wear :P Shes super excited!

MillieWylde
04-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Congrats on the successful move! Here's hoping you not only acclimate to the slower pace, but come to love it. :-D I keep wanting to come down to the GA faire, but two years in a row now we've been unemployed when it rolls around... *sadface* ...but you enjoy!!

EvilKittie
04-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I'm unemployed still. Left my job when we moved. Waiting to hear back from MANY places!

Pearl_Fox
04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Hey, I am from Tennessee and glad that you made it to Georgia alright. Good luck on the job hunt, I hope that you hear back very soon!
I have been to quite a few different faires and a far as the GA faire goes, it's really good. All of the shows are worth it to check out, my favorites are the Tortuga Twins and Tartanic.
I hope that you have a lot of fun, I went yesterday and had a great time. :-)

EvilKittie
04-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I've seen Tartanic and I cannot wait to see them again! AMAZING! I didn't get a chance to see the Tortuga Twins when they were at Bristol, so I'm excited to do so.