PDA

View Full Version : Made in China porcelain for British royal wedding

Rowen
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Don't know why, but I expected better of the Royal family. I don't care how good this Chinese factory is...Sometimes you just gotta realize how this looks. The Chinese are already making a killing on the Royal Wedding producing butt-tons of Krap for souvenirs hunters.
I am sure they could have spent a bit more and found a British company to make the porcelain, if there is still a company in the UK that still makes it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110116/lf_nm_life/us_britain_royal_porcelain

daBaroness
01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
The only thing I've got to say is porcelain china was invented and perfected in China. Royals and commoners alike have procured fine china from China for centuries. For a while, China was a British Commonwealth and the Brits love of tea developed because of their close association with ... China. It's not a stretch and the finest porcelain is still made in China. Not everything that comes from the country is schlock. In my lifetime the world has seen Japan go from a trinket maker of side-show schlock to the reigning king of all things electronic and automobile. Just sayin'.

Rowen
01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
All true!
But the wedding China Will and Kate are buying could be the best in the world, and they could pay for it out of their own pockets to boot, and still the folks back home are not going to like that it's being purchased from China and not a British company (who no doubt makes it elsewhere). I don't think the man on the street in London gives a hoot about anything other that the Royals are buying a Chinese made product when they could buy something comparable at home.
My point is that they probably should have hired a British firm to make the China, even if it's not their first choice, and even if it is more expensive. I figured they were too smart to let a major PR opportunity slide by.

Gemdrite
01-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Realistically, I couldn't care less what the man on the street thinks. It's not their wedding, it's Will's and Kate's, and if they want to eat on paper plates and drink beer straight from the can, more power to them.

Course, that could be why I will never be royal, lol.

rosefaeries
01-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Over 500 companies were bidding for that job. This one just happen to have won.

Guangxi Sanhuan Group, based in Beiliu, a city in China's southern Guangxi province known locally for its ceramics and porcelain ware, said they came out tops over more than 500 companies bidding to produce royal wedding porcelain, fighting off stiff competition from manufacturers around the globe.

No matter who won the contract, someone would have complained about it. That is just the way life is. You can't please everyone. This is their wedding, not the public's.

Phoenix McHeit
01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
The only thing I've got to say is porcelain china was invented and perfected in China. Royals and commoners alike have procured fine china from China for centuries. For a while, China was a British Commonwealth and the Brits love of tea developed because of their close association with ... China. It's not a stretch and the finest porcelain is still made in China.

This. There's a reason it's called... china.

Rowen - you expected better? So they should purchase a (possibly) inferior product *just* because it's produced in UK?

There's love of country, and then there's just overly sensitive ridiculousness. Moving on...

Rowen
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
This. There's a reason it's called... china.

Rowen - you expected better? So they should purchase a (possibly) inferior product *just* because it's produced in UK?

There's love of country, and then there's just overly sensitive ridiculousness. Moving on...

I guess I was expecting them to act like politicians. :lol:

LdyJhawk
01-18-2011, 09:44 PM
I guess I was expecting them to act like politicians. :lol:

Right well, since they're figurehead royalty without political power they shouldn't have to

Lady Sarah
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Realistically, I couldn't care less what the man on the street thinks. It's not their wedding, it's Will's and Kate's, and if they want to eat on paper plates and drink beer straight from the can, more power to them.

THIS.

With a side of chips.

Who gives a flying fuck what WE think about their choice of china? It's THEIR wedding, not yours, not mine, not the man on the street. KATE AND WILLIAM.

lady Amalthea
01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
here's my question. Why is the world so excited over this wedding? Yes, they're royals, but they are still just people and it's in England. I'm honestly trying to figure out why this is such a huge worldwide thing. I'm not trying to be mean, but I honestly don't understand.

Lady Sarah
01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
here's my question. Why is the world so excited over this wedding? Yes, they're royals, but they are still just people and it's in England. I'm honestly trying to figure out why this is such a huge worldwide thing. I'm not trying to be mean, but I honestly don't understand.

Why was the world so excited for Diana and Charles' wedding?

I think a part of it has to do with the fact that this is Diana's son, AND heir to the throne. There's a glamour factor involved (DAMN was he good looking when he was younger! Still is, of course, but much better looking when he was younger). I think there's also a nod to the future, a continuation of the much loved British Monarchy. The people love them, other wise they would have pushed to do away with them.

I don't understand the hullabaloo either. But, I can kinda grasp the basics of why. I just hope that this marriage doesn't die pitifully like his mother's and father's.

lady Amalthea
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Lady Sarah, I guess I can see that. it's just to me like so many celebrities. Why do we care so much? I don't really bother with who's getting married, divorced, having a baby, affair, etc. I guess to me they are just people, and their lives don't affect mine directly.
I mean, a store near us is having Steve Harvey doing a book signing on Friday, meh. I plan to stay as far away as possible from the madhouse. Not because of Steve Harvey himself, I don't know the man personally but I don't want ot deal with craziness.

Ysobelle
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Because when Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and Ariel and Beauty and Snow White and Vasilisa and Donkeyskin married the Prince, it wasn't a quick trip down to City Hall and a JoP. This is as close as the world gets to a real fairy tale any more. Our response is primal, really: we're conditioned from birth with this archetype, whether we buy into the Prince Charming myth or not.

Also? The hats are going to be awesome.

Bean
01-19-2011, 08:17 PM

I love you.

Isabelle Warwicke
01-20-2011, 01:37 AM

YES! Exactly.

Phoenix McHeit
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
This is as close as the world gets to a real fairy tale any more. Our response is primal, really: we're conditioned from birth with this archetype, whether we buy into the Prince Charming myth or not.

This is it right here. Little girls dream of finding their Prince. Whether that dream continues into adulthood or not, it's still buried in the psyche somewhere. Some find him, some don't, some think they have, and some give up on finding him altogether. Watching Kate get hers - literally - is in some way an affirmation of our childhood dreams.

And the hat comment was spot-on! :-D

WenchLadyKate
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I cant even figure out why *I'm* so excited! I "squee'd" when they announced it and I cant wait to watch it on TV (mostly for the hats!) and even though I don't know them, I'll probably still cry.

And all the hullabaloo, well, they're royal! I mean, She's going to be a PRINCESS!!! Come on! Just a normal kind of girl, marrying a prince, it IS a fairy tale! (she is going to be a princess, right?)

Rowen
01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Hats and tiaras! I can't wait to see what gown she picks out....XD

Bean
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Kate:
There has been some public discussion about Kate's title. It will be decided on by the Queen. If she is titles Princess, she will be Princess William of something. If the Queen makes William a Duke, she will then be a Dutchess. You can google a yahoo article about it, but they ended it with what most of the English people will call her.... Princess Kate.

Ysobelle
01-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Hats and tiaras! I can't wait to see what gown she picks out....XD

You think YOU can't wait? My bridal line's taken off through the ROOF the last couple of years. Little did I know in 1981 (watching a tiny B&W TV at some ungodly hour of the morning) I was going into this line o' work, but now? Oh, man, bring it ON!

WenchLadyKate
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
From now on, I will only respond to "Princess Kate". "Princess Cricket" will also do. Thank you.

And Nikki, if the bf ever pops the question, you'll be one of the first people I talk to about what to wear. I already know what I want, if it's even possible. lol It's a cross between a MFM, a Pnina and a big poofy cumulonimbus cloud.

Ysobelle
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
From now on, I will only respond to "Princess Kate". "Princess Cricket" will also do. Thank you.

And Nikki, if the bf ever pops the question, you'll be one of the first people I talk to about what to wear. I already know what I want, if it's even possible. lol It's a cross between a MFM, a Pnina and a big poofy cumulonimbus cloud.

I actually know who you mean, having spent this week watching that Dress show. You saw the Russian Imperial gown I'm doing, right?

WenchLadyKate
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I actually know who you mean, having spent this week watching that Dress show. You saw the Russian Imperial gown I'm doing, right?

No! WANT TO SEEE!!!

Lady Sarah
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM
No! WANT TO SEEE!!!

DITTO!!!

And I know who you mean too!! LOL My mom got me hooked on "Say Yes..."
I SO wanted to slap that girl silly. Caviar dreams on a beer budget and stupid enough to think that someone else was gonna pay for it. LOL

Ysobelle
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
One of the inspiration dresses-- a court gown of Tsarina Alexandra-- and the dress as it'll look for the wedding, G-d willing. Where the ill-fated Tsarina's gown has fur and embroidery, this one will have embroidered trim and lace. The underskirt and corset are that red-rose embroidered silk I have from London, and I'll put a few of the red roses on the overskirt and split sleeves to tie it all together. The overskirt and sleeves are removable, leaving a lovely evening gown for the reception. It's for Bev's sister, Carol. I think Bev would have approved.

Anyway, to take this back to the royal wedding, I'm just waiting to see how long it takes knock-offs of Princess Kate's gown to hit the stores.

BronxGirl
01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Anyway, to take this back to the royal wedding, I'm just waiting to see how long it takes knock-offs of Princess Kate's gown to hit the stores.

Less than 24 hours, if not 12.

Kathryn Blakeley
01-21-2011, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Bean;400367]Kate:
There has been some public discussion about Kate's title./QUOTE]

Here's one of quite a few articles on it -

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/international/europe/view.bg?articleid=1310157&srvc=rss

I'm twitching though that whoever wrote the title wrote Dutchess. Got it right in the article though. It is Duchess. No T. Stupid Fergie *grumble*

And there was another article that I can't find right now but talked about which lands would be bestowed on them as there are a few that are not in use right now.

Ysobelle
01-22-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm twitching though that whoever wrote the title wrote Dutchess. Got it right in the article though. It is Duchess. No T. Stupid Fergie *grumble*

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Oh, G-d, thank you.

Bean
01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Okay, I'll fess up.... I spelled it wrong in my previous post. It's one of those words that looks wrong when it really isn't.

Kathryn Blakeley
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Okay, I'll fess up.... I spelled it wrong in my previous post. It's one of those words that looks wrong when it really isn't.

Hey I said it before I'll say it again - Didn't notice yours! *gives you a look* Theirs was in BIG BOLD LETTERS ACROSS THE TOP OF THE TITLE!!

*hugs*