PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Police- Help

Mistress Morigianna
01-25-2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.retailhellunderground.com/my_weblog/2011/01/merchandise-fail.html

Shirt from Wet Seal
http://www.retailhellunderground.com/.a/6a00e54f10a09888340148c800cbda970c-400wi

Ysobelle
01-26-2011, 01:45 AM
*whamwhamwhamwhamwham*

Lookee there-- my skull IS thick enough to dent drywall!

WenchLadyKate
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I feel as though I need to buy it and have at it with a sharpie. I love that some people are going to be going around actually wearing this. For shame, America, for shame. lol

Kae
01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
I want to how it to my students and see if they can figure it out. Maybe I like banging my head against bricks. :-)
Kae

Bean
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
That giant "thud" you all just heard was the collective intelligence of the United States dropping through the floor.

WTF people. I can't believe that there isn't ONE SINGLE person at Wet Seal that doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Kae
01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
It seems they do not understand grammar in proffessional basketball either. The Mavericks had a game last night. On the display, they kept flashing "Lets Go Mavs!". They forgot the apostrophe.
Kae

Emmaline Love
01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
*Shakes head* I bet they know it's wrong... clearly an added apostrophe and an "E" wouldn't have fit on the shirt and would have disrupted the design... Or it could also have been laziness; this form of your is being used more and more frequently all over the place.

Ravin' Raven
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
It seems they do not understand grammar in proffessional basketball either. The Mavericks had a game last night. On the display, they kept flashing "Lets Go Mavs!". They forgot the apostrophe.
Kae

What apostrophe? Mavs is a plural not possessive - right? Even for abbreviations and acronyms you don't use an apostrophe for plural. Or have I completely not gotten this?

Geesh all of the issues our there are beginning to make me doubt MY grammar.

Bean
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
What apostrophe? Mavs is a plural not possessive - right? Even for abbreviations and acronyms you don't use an apostrophe for plural. Or have I completely not gotten this?

Geesh all of the issues our there are beginning to make me doubt MY grammar.

The apostrophe would go in "Let's".

Mistress Morigianna
01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
my comment on the original site was about needing a red pencil.....

I had a thought- could this be a translation issue? Made in a different country?
But SOMEONE should have seen the problem

Bean
01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
my comment on the original site was about needing a red pencil.....

I had a thought- could this be a translation issue? Made in a different country?
But SOMEONE should have seen the problem

Most foreigners speak English better than we do.

Ravin' Raven
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
The apostrophe would go in "Let's".

See!! Told you I just wasn't getting it. I was concentrating on Mavs....that's what I get for sneaking onto the boards when I should be proofreading something else!!!!! ;-)

Triskel
01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, I am half tempted to buy the shirt cause I have a sicky apostrophe. In the book 'Eats, Shoots, and Leaves' is basically a novel for the Grammar Police and a funny way to read a British spaz.

Phoenix McHeit
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Most foreigners speak English better than we do.

Ain't that the truth! My former boss was from Brazil, spoke 4 languages. His slang wasn't always up to par, but he would check with me about 'prepositional' this, or 'past participle' that. It was heaven. lol.

And I LOVE "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". LOVE LOVE LOVE! :lol:

Gemdrite
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
On a related note, I just saw two commercials in a row use the word "gooder." My ears still hurt.

Isabelle Warwicke
01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I may need a straightjacket. That makes me crazy.

Isabelle Warwicke
01-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Speaks the truth..

Isabelle Fawkes
01-29-2011, 12:17 AM
This just reflects the "texting" influence of our society. Shorten, crop, and/or butcher the English language!

RaevynCait
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
It's almost as if texting killed proper spelling just like Video killed the radio star...

I will admit that I don't always use apostrophes as I should when I'm texting, but that's sheer laziness, as opposed to not knowing how to spell, and while I will leave out the ', I do use your and you're correctly.

Triskel
01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
And I LOVE "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". LOVE LOVE LOVE! :lol:

Why am I not surprised that you have read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" ? I will say that it is a brilliant piece of work.

Phoenix McHeit
02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Why am I not surprised that you have read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" ? I will say that it is a brilliant piece of work.

Read it? It holds a place of honor on my bookshelf, girl! :-D

I'm proud of my geekiness, thankyouverymuch. *snicker*

Thistle
02-02-2011, 02:10 AM
"I'm sorry that you and the apostrophe had a fight. You guys were such a cute couple."

saw the above in another forum and had a good chuckle

Gemdrite
02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
I've been having a good laugh grading homework lately. We just started talking about how to use apostrophes for possessive nouns, and so now any time my kids have an s on the end of a word, they put an apostrophe before it. It made me think of this thread.

Lady Anne
02-04-2011, 08:43 PM
A phrase in a commercial that drives us nuts...."woken up" AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!:augh:

DangerousCurves
02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
As most of my friends on FB are aware, I have nearly developed a twitch over the phrase "My bad!" Your bad what? Your bad odor? Your bad sushi? Your bad hair day? Possessive pronoun + adjective does not = a complete sentence. It is a random, incomplete phrase that makes me shudder. It is as if someone stomped on you toe and said "Sticky!" or "Those galoshes!" or perhaps "Ugly coconuts!" ....no...fuh-reaking sense.....:unamused:

Gemdrite
02-12-2011, 07:59 PM
As most of my friends on FB are aware, I have nearly developed a twitch over the phrase "My bad!" Your bad what? Your bad odor? Your bad sushi? Your bad hair day? Possessive pronoun + adjective does not = a complete sentence. It is a random, incomplete phrase that makes me shudder. It is as if someone stomped on you toe and said "Sticky!" or "Those galoshes!" or perhaps "Ugly coconuts!" ....no...fuh-reaking sense.....:unamused:
I agree with you that it makes no sense, but really, nothing we say in that kind of situation makes sense. "Whoops!" Where did that word come from? "Uh oh" are just sounds, not even words. "My bad" is just the evolution of "my mistake" which also isn't a complete sentence.

I'm not trying to make you not irritated about the phrase, that's totally your perogative. I'm just trying to compare it to other utterances. Do they all irritate you, or just "my bad?" I wonder if it's the sentiment behind it more than the phrase that is irritating, since I've always felt that someone saying "my bad" is admitting their mistake, but basically blowing if off, like, "oh well." Which, now that I type it, also isn't a complete sentence and doesn't make any sense, lol.

Triskel
03-05-2011, 04:30 PM

I think everyone would appreciate this ^.^

Gemdrite
03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Read it? It holds a place of honor on my bookshelf, girl! :-D

I'm proud of my geekiness, thankyouverymuch. *snicker*
I had not heard of this book until I read this thread. I now am a proud owner. God bless Scholastic Book Clubs! :D I was placing book orders for my class and trying to decide what free books to get. Eats, Shoots, and Leaves was in one of the catalogs. Now it's on my desk!

Thistle
03-07-2011, 01:20 AM
http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=7Y6DL7NX but he doesn't touch the apostrophe. My bad *G*

Phoenix McHeit
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Thistle - I officially LOVE YOU. I was giggling and squee-ing throughout the whole clip!

BRILLIANT! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Stolenhalo6
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
And is it just me or is that guy awfully darn cute?

Triskel
03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I had not heard of this book until I read this thread. I now am a proud owner. God bless Scholastic Book Clubs! :D I was placing book orders for my class and trying to decide what free books to get. Eats, Shoots, and Leaves was in one of the catalogs. Now it's on my desk!

Now I am proud that Phee and I are not the only ones who have read and enjoyed the novel!

Gemdrite
03-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Now I am proud that Phee and I are not the only ones who have read and enjoyed the novel!
Well, I still have to read the adult novel...I have the schoolage kid version, lol. I didn't realize there was a different until you said that. *Scampers off to figure out how to procure said novel.*

(Haha, I typed navel at first...I already have a belly button!)

Also, I had a discussion today with a friend, and he said, 'Nuke-you-lar' (nuclear, for anybody whose brain just cannot comprehend the wrongness of it, lol.) I said, "nuclear." He mispronounced it again, smiling, trying to make his lips say it right and failing, and he couldn't figure out why. One of those, "you know you can say it, but your brain gets stuck on the mispronunciation" kind of situations. I laughed and said, "No, Bush was WRONG!!!" And we all cracked up. And watching that Youtube video made me think of it. I should really speak more accurately, being a teacher. I type much better than I speak. I've picked up bad habits from friends with various accents in college, and I've mostly been too lazy to fix them. I am proud of the fact that I figured out "couldn't care less" on my own in grade school though.

Triskel
03-09-2011, 10:20 PM
It's ok! I talked to my co-worker today and she asked me to get her some water but pronounced it (werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ter) so I kept pronouncing it like her till she fixed it.

Gemdrite
03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
We had an assembly-type thing last night at school, and one of the parents told me the kids were really getting gooder.

I cringed.

Triskel
03-10-2011, 10:35 PM
We had an assembly-type thing last night at school, and one of the parents told me the kids were really getting gooder.

I cringed.

*twitch*::wicked:::augh:

My niece will say that just to annoy me T.T

Triskel
03-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I saw this today....