PDA

View Full Version : Egypt

Ysobelle
01-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Well, this has the potential to turn very, very bloody:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5heO3VMhFHp69i1rXVD9ZBd6bU2ow?docId=3461fa1db b3e45cfa0c645a339e78779

AnnaFaerie
01-28-2011, 02:19 PM
This is too scary.

ShadowHawke
01-28-2011, 07:11 PM
No kidding it's scary... think of the families living there and their other family members trying to reach them by Internet or cell. When you don't know what's happening, you expect the worse...I would not want to be living there or have family there. Just pray that some rationality prevails and nothing gets out of hand.

- ShadowHawke -

Branwen
01-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Warning the following link posted contains GRAPHIC AND POSSIBLY DISTURBING PICTURES.

Found this site (http://totallycoolpix.com/2011/01/the-egypt-protests/) that shows pictures of the Riots in Egypt that Foreign Journalists have managed to post online.

Warning these Pictures are quite GRAPHIC and may be considered DISTURBING.

Bean
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
On a brighter note, citizens and the army gathered at the Cairo Museum to guard their historical treasures when the building next to it was set on fire. Looters attempted to enter the museum to take priceless treasures including items from Tut's tomb. 4 tanks arrived and they caught people inside the museum.

The 6th Rogue
01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
As terrible as this all is it is very needed.

http://dotsub.com/media/b5ee5ada-5b37-4b0b-9916-e0896337ec4b/e/m

The more totalitarian these governments become the more they need to be destroyed in a way the population will remember and learn from as they try to replace what was with something closer to what should be.

Ysobelle
01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
I got a minute into that and my head exploded.

Why is it so fucking impossible to separate Muslims from Islamic Fundamentalists? If someone came out screaming about all Christians being violent, intolerant bigots, they'd be shouted down and excoriated. Oh, wait-- thats exactly what HAS happened-- right here, countless times. Yet it's okay for people to conflate every kind of Muslim into one homogenous mass of bloodthirsty, psychotic, murderous zealots.

And let's not lose sight of one important thing: these people aren't rioting because they want harsher religious laws: they're rioting for greater political freedom and the end to thirty years of rule by one iron-fisted ruler. We may not like their methods, we may not like their philosophies. But to make a blanket statement that all Muslim countries are brutal dictatorships where genocide is a common occurrence is ignorant and racist. To say that Islam is the only thing that causes mass murder is unbelievably outrageous. Just ask a Rwandan.

Branwen
01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
@ Ysobelle, You got further along in that video than I did. I can only hope that this ends soon and Peacefully and the bloodshed and death toll is limited a small few. Granted the toll is already over 100 and possibly rising, I do see some hope. Or maybe that is just my hope. I just pray that it doesn't end like Tiananmen Square.

I have read that food supplies are running low and many people are stating that they will not have enough food to last more than 2-3 more days.

The 6th Rogue
02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Proof is in the pudding...or putting or what ever the phrase is. No one's strapped on a bomb vest and blown themselves up so it does seem to be gen pop and not fundy jackholes behind it. I hope they toss the dictators and all their cronies to the crocodiles and establish a kinder, gentler and happier Egypt we can all go visit.

The 6th Rogue
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
The article is in the Christian Science Monitor so take it with as many grains of salt as you need but this is a pretty good read:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/0204/How-the-Egyptian-revolt-will-recast-the-Middle-East

The 6th Rogue
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
So...President "I'm a Dinner Jacket" from Iran chimed in:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hqWnNX4nEdyxL80BYmoM9-HkP97g?docId=cd3ff24dc6c147fa81010d85a081701e

Ahmadinejad: Egyptian protests herald new Mideast

(AP) 4 hours ago

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) Iran's president said Friday that Egypt's popular uprising shows a new Islamic Middle East is emerging, one that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claims will have no signs of Israel and U.S. "interference."

The Iranian leader spoke as the country marked the 32nd anniversary of its 1979 Islamic Revolution that toppled the pro-U.S. shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and brought hardline clerics to power.

Ahmadinejad's remarks came hours after Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak announced he is transferring authority to his deputy but refused to step down, angering hundreds of thousands of Egyptians who have been demanding he relinquish his three-decade grip on power.

Tens of thousands marched down Tehran's main boulevard in state-organized anniversary festivities, chanting in support of Egyptian anti-government protesters. Some Iranians set an effigy of Mubarak on fire while others shouted: "Hosni non-Mubarak, 'Mubarak' (congratulations) on the uprising of your people."

Iran's state TV broadcast simultaneous live footage of the gathering at Tehran's Azadi, or Freedom, Square and that of anti-government demonstrations in Cairo's downtown Tahrir Square where tens of thousands had gathered by noon Friday.

Iran, which is at odds with the international community over its controversial nuclear program, has sought to portray the popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt as evidence of a replay of its own Islamic Revolution.

"Despite all the (West's) complicated and satanic designs ... a new Middle East is emerging without the Zionist regime and U.S. interference, a place where the arrogant powers will have no place," Ahmadinejad told the crowd.

He also urged Egyptian protesters to persevere until there is a regime change. "It's your right to be free. It's your right to exercise your will and sovereignty ... and choose the type of government and the rulers."

After his address, Ahmadinejad carried a placard reading, "Death to Israel."

The Iranian leadership's attempt to capitalize on the Egyptian uprising is underscored by its effort to deprive its own opposition of any chance to reinvigorate a movement swept from the streets in a heavy military crackdown in 2009.

Ahead of the anniversary, Iranian security forces arrested several opposition activists, including aides to Iran's opposition leaders.

Authorities also placed Mahdi Karroubi, one of Iran's opposition leaders, under house arrest, posting security officers at his door in response to his calls for an Iranian opposition rally in support of anti-government demonstrations in Egypt.

Karroubi's website, sahamnews.org, said security officials informed Karroubi that the restrictions would remain in place until after Feb. 14.

Karroubi, and Iran's other top opposition figure, Mir Hossein Mousavi, have asked the government for permission to hold a Feb. 14 gathering in support of the uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

State Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi rejected the demand on Wednesday, warning of repercussions if the rally takes place. Hossein Hamedani, a senior commander of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard, said any attempt by the opposition to rally supporters on Feb. 14 would be crushed.

Mousavi's aide Saleh Noghrehkar and Sadroddin Beheshti, son of another Mousavi aide, Ali Reza Beheshti, were among those arrested, according to opposition website kaleme.com. The website also said another opposition activist, Fariba Ebtehaj, a close aide to former reformist vice president, Masoumeh Ebtekar, has also been arrested.

Both Mousavi and Karroubi ran against Ahmadinejad in the June 2009 elections, which opposition says was heavily rigged. Mousavi, who campaigned on a platform calling for social and political reforms, maintains he was the rightful winner and that Ahmadinejad was declared the winner through massive vote fraud.

White House national security spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a statement Thursday that Karroubi's house arrest underscored the hypocrisy of Iran's leadership.

"For all of its empty talk about Egypt, the government of Iran should allow the Iranian people the same universal right to peacefully assemble and demonstrate in Tehran that the people are exercising in Cairo," he said.

Lady Sarah
02-11-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41526422/ns/world_news-mideast/n_africa/?GT1=43001

And it's official... Mubarak's transferred power and out of office.

The 6th Rogue
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd feel happy for them and relieved except for one thing: "Mubarak had decided to hand power to the military."

Let's see where that goes. I'm betting the people will be squashed down harder under a military rule than they would under the previous gov't.

Bean
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Well Mubarak did state that he would rather be ousted in a coup rather than due to public protests. He felt that because he was a military man it was more honorable that way. Mostly the military hasn't been picking sides in the matter, rather waiting around to see what happens. I don't think you will see an "iron fist" military rule. It will be a bumpy ride for a bit while they sort out a new government, but I have high hopes for Egypt. I hope to someday see the Great Pyramids without being afraid of the country.

Lady Sarah
02-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I have to say that so far, from what I've seen and heard, the military hasn't been harsh or over the top. When the military was called in, the people left them alone, did not attack them and were even friendly with them. It's been said that the people respect the military more than they did the police because they felt that the military wasn't corrupted like the police were. Reports so far today have said that the military was handing out water to the people in Tahrir Square and helping them.

We'll have to wait and see if the military's attitude changes now that Mubarak is out of power. I'm nervous as to what's going to come into power now and whether or not it'll be extremist and/or anti-America.

Lady Hefron
02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
It will be very interesting to see what comes about now. I have to say, though, for this moment Egypt is a democracy. We'll see what they become.

The 6th Rogue
02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
It is interesting to see the ripple effect going on:
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/Iranian-Police-Fire-Teargas-at-Protesters-116159324.html
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/14/yemen.protests/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
In general CNN's World section is dominated by fall out headlines right now:
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/