PDA

View Full Version : My Funny Morning

RaevynCait
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Those of ya'll on my Facebook already saw it in my feed there, but I think it's too funny not to share here as well. This morning, one of my co-workers came into my office and told me that yesterday, at school, her 5th grade daughter (along with her fellow 5th graders) attended a meeting to give them some information about some of their options in middle school next year. For a fine arts elective, they are expected to choose between art, choir, and band. Her mother's thought is "anything except band" and her father's thought is "anything besides choir". Let me say at this point that they live in a smallish city with a largely rural population in the district, one high school, a 9th grade center, and 2 middle schools (6-8th grades). Her parents both prefer country music over any other genre.
So last night, the child came home and announced that she wants to be in BAND. And her first choice of instrument is.....

:bagpipes: Yep, she'd never heard them (and known what she was hearing anyway) until she heard what was on my iPod one day when she was at work. ::yay::

Mom is not nearly as amused by this as I am! I have explained that for the first year, at least, she wouldn't even have the bagpipes, just a chanter.
Oh, and her 2nd choice is DRUMS! This is only a little less annoying thought to Mom.

Bean
01-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Texas is the new hotbed for bagpipes.... can't think of the piper from the Rogues who takes the kids to Scotland to compete and WINS!!!!

MillieWylde
01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Let me say, for the record, that if my son ever comes to me wanting to learn to :bagpipes:, I will not only jump for joy, I will sew him a :kiltdanc: with all of the appropriate accessories immediately. In short, :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to that girl and I hope she can talk her parents into it!!! :cheer:

RaevynCait
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Texas is the new hotbed for bagpipes.... can't think of the piper from the Rogues who takes the kids to Scotland to compete and WINS!!!!

That would be Lyric Todkill. I wish we could claim him as a native Texan, he's originally from TN, but he's the Piping Instructor at the St. Thomas Episcopal School down in Houston. He's AWESOME!

WenchLadyKate
01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh, I really hope this is the annoying co-worker... lol

Cool chicks rock 'pipes.

AnnaFaerie
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
That would be Lyric Todkill. I wish we could claim him as a native Texan, he's originally from TN, but he's the Piping Instructor at the St. Thomas Episcopal School down in Houston. He's AWESOME!

Okay...there is a man named Lyric? My second daughter is named Lyric. How funny.

RaevynCait
01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
@Cricket sent you a PM on Facebook, but it's not the annoying co-worker (she is childless, I'm sure at least partially because the powers that be KNOW that gene line doesn't need to continue). It's actually a co-worker I like very much, and the child has decided on flute, they've got an instrument that they don't have to buy, and the child's grandmother went to college on full music scholarship playing flute, so the private lessons for UIL and such are covered as well.

@AnnaFaerie yup, there's a guy name Lyric, and I think it's actually fitting that he's musically gifted with a name like that. He holds one of the few Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in Bagpiping, and plays a multitude of other instruments as well.