View Full Version : Brrrr!

02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
North Texas is COLDER than it's been in a long time... 16 degrees outside my door with an inch of snow atop a layer of ice that I've no clue on the thickness of, and fellow wench Erinesse & her Rogue have headed out to the ranch where they care for miniature horses, and as of a few minutes ago, the wind chill was barely 1 degree.
My boss declared the office closed. DFW airport closed for the first time since I can remember in my life, aside from the 9-11 closings that shut down all of the airports.

I know that a good portion of the country is hunkered down trying to stay warm!

02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
It is snowing sideways up here. The storm has raged on for most of the night. The lightening and thunder was a wonder to behold. *laughing* It feels like -1 here (Saint Jo. TX).

Staying warm might be a challenge today. The wind is sucking the warmth right out of the house. *chuckle* That's what I get for loving old houses.

Buxom Wench
02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Up here in Western NY, we're expecting up to 15" of snow in the next couple days.
Going out this afternoon and getting a few essentials and more cat food.
Fireplaces are keeping us warm and toasty.

Phoenix McHeit
02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I've no idea what the temp is here in southern PA, but it's FARGIN COLD. We're getting a mix of sleet and freezing rain right now, which is making it oh-so-lovely to get anywhere. Supposed to continue all day today, overnight, and into tomorrow. I went grocery shopping yesterday so I don't really have to leave the house; that's a relief.

Cold and damp wreak havoc on my pain receptors, so I'm having a banner day. Joy. :unamused: I'm currently snuggled up under my electric blanket trying to make my knees stop aching.

On a brighter note, schools have closed today, so my background noise is the laughter of my boys, downstairs playing video games and sniping each other. Gawds I adore my family! ;-)

Dani Petersen
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
it's currently about 15 degrees in Des Moines, but a blizzard warning starts at about noon. schools haven't closed yet (almost never do up here) and i hope to God the maintenance guys come in to fix my furnace today cause otherwise it could be a bit nippy in my place. Seems like a perfect day for a good book, cup of coffee/tea/cocoa and a blanket.

Emmaline Love
02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Just waiting for the blizzard to start here in central Illinois... Been under a blizzard warning since 6AM and it goes until noon tomorrow... expecting power outages and 20-24" inches of snow in the next 18 hours... I have tons of food that doesn't require preparation (my entire apartment runs on electricity- heat and stove included), blankets, jugs of water, and candles w/ lighters... This is my first blizzard on my own and it makes me miss my home and especially my Mommy!! lol

02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
In NJ, it seems that rice is falling from the sky. There are mounds of snow EVERYWHERE and more is expected in the next few days. There is noplace left to put it and the state is running out of salt. I've already fallen on the ice, gotten a concussion and broken my tailbone.

In the words of the great Jimmy Buffet, "I wanna go where it's warm!"

02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
we are up to about 2 inches here at Castle Wford, and it's still swirling out there. Funny thing is, none of the radar shows anything falling in the area at the moment, yet I see it falling from the sky (as opposed to just being blown around from branches, the roof, or the cars. I've already been told by my HR manager not to go anywhere tomorrow until I hear from her, as well as anticipating some work on Saturday to catch up on some of what gets behind. She's not sure we'll be back to work before Friday...
Yep, I live in TX, I'm a weenie about the cold and bad roads!

Adriana Rose
02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Its fargen cold in northern Colorado! The weather said that there is a -23 wind chill at the moment and thank goodness there is no snow falling so that saves me from shoveling in fricken cold temps!

Isabelle Fawkes
02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Great, now we have rotational blackouts from the electric company! Glad I bought that generator a couple years ago.

02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm hoping that since we are on a municipal service, we won't get hit... but if we do, we have a propane heater & I'm snug in the living room with most of the cats in the house (the rest are still snug in our bed, since they all have fur coats, and all but 3 of the ones in the living room are hairless), and both dogs.

02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Just waiting for the blizzard to start here in central Illinois... Been under a blizzard warning since 6AM and it goes until noon tomorrow... expecting power outages and 20-24" inches of snow in the next 18 hours... I have tons of food that doesn't require preparation (my entire apartment runs on electricity- heat and stove included), blankets, jugs of water, and candles w/ lighters... This is my first blizzard on my own and it makes me miss my home and especially my Mommy!! lol

Though it may feel a mite daunting, it sounds to me like there's just one thing not on your list that I would add (having been through a couple of 3+ footers when I lived in VA) ... something to do. Got books/crafts/other things to keep you occupied? :wink: Time can really stretch when you're used to being able to amuse yerself online or with TV/etc and there's no power to run such joys...

As for here... it's sunny, in the upper 40s, and dry outside. :roll: Call me crazy, but I wish we were getting some snow!!

02-02-2011, 03:18 PM
The rolling blackouts hit Grapevine. Cold - very cold - in the house. The heaters are playing catch up. I agree about having something to do - for me this time it will be grading. As soon as my fingertips warm up. :-)

Lady Sarah
02-02-2011, 04:32 PM
You know it's bad when the mall closes. Yup, I got a call from my manager yesterday telling me to stay home, that the store was closed. She called again today to check on me and make sure that everyone was OK with the blackouts and such.

As for things to do... Veggie Beef soup, caramel turtle brownies. And I'm thinking I might hit the vanilla bean cupcakes and buttercream frosting this afternoon. Somehow I doubt I'll be going in to work tomorrow either.

From someone who slept in flannel pj pants, thick woolly socks and a nice thick sweater (when she normally sleeps in a tank top), stay warm y'all. it's brutal outside.

Adriana Rose
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
It was -40 here!

There was a thick coat of ice on my front door! On the side that was inside! They closed one of the school districts up here and it wasthe first time in 20 years.

Heres to hoping that things warm up.

02-02-2011, 06:12 PM
fortunately we didn't did get hit by the rolling blackouts, but the only space in the house that is truly comfortable is the living room, where we've got the propane heater fired up to keep the hairless cats warm enough through the day. Hopefully keeping the room closed off is going to hold enough warmth that the radiators by the cats will handle the job overnight. In my bedroom the radiator is on full blast and it's only about 56 degrees in there, so it looks like another 2 blanket, 2 extra quilt & 4 cat night for me!

Oh, and I'm supposed to be at work at 10 in the morning, despite all the districts in the area being closed... THAT's gonna be a fun drive.

02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
3758this is looking out across the street. The lamp post is near the end of our driveway, the little posts are across the street
3759this is looking down our hill, above the bushes is the street, where yesterday morning was a clear spot with no ice or anything, where my co-worker parked his car to pick me up. Yeah, there's about 3 inches of snow there now...

I live in Texas because after a day and a half, I am totally over the cold & snow... we're on day 4 now of below 20 degrees. I am not amused::nope::

Lady Sarah
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
cabin fever leads to going outside into the snow.
going outside into 6" of snow that's perfect for... snowballs... leads to stupid choices...
and said stupid choices leads to wondering how the hell you were standing upright seconds before and now you're looking at the icepack under the 6" of snow...

ow... if anyone needs me, I'll be painting my nails where it's nice and warm. and thanking whatever powers that be that I'm in Texas, where this is an anomaly, not the norm.

Isabelle Fawkes
02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Having been relocated to Texas from the northern clime of New Jersy, I have a unique aspect on the current weather.....it's freaking cold outside!!!! I moved to Texas to get away from this kind of weather! I blame it all on Jerry Jones and Superbowl 45!

Buxom Wench
02-05-2011, 06:44 AM

The sun is suppose to be out for the 3rd day in a row. Some snow and ice, melting. No plows for at least 3 days.

Meh, typical western NY weather.

I even walked outside barefoot to grab a kitty and never stepped in snow or ice.

Although, I like blaming Jerry Jones for all this in Texas. ;-)

And right now, it's 23 at the manor, going up to 35 today.

Phoenix McHeit
02-05-2011, 07:10 AM
We were supposed to get rain this morning. Well, it decided to come early, before the temp had climbed enough, so we have a lovely mix of sleet and freezing rain coming down right now, making everything a sheet of glass.

My poor puppy - she LOVES snow, but this ice crap can go take a flying leap thankyouverymuch. She stepped outside this morning and slid a bit. Looked back over her shoulder at me with that "Oh man, not AGAIN!" look in her eyes, then gingerly picked her way across the yard to the median point between the house and where she usually goes. She wasn't having any more of that ice crap than was absolutely necessary. ;-)

Eldest has a County Chorus performance today - he was due at the school by 6:45 am. At 5:20 the phone rang. Bleary-eyed, I answered it. It was his Choral director, telling us that there is a 2 hour delay for the festival. Since it's a Saturday, she couldn't rely on a regular school delay broadcast; she had to call each and every family to let them know. I don't envy her that job. :unamused:

Adriana Rose
02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
First we froze our butts off now its snowing like its never going to again. Can I have spring please?