PDA

View Full Version : Winter pick-me ups!

surlywench
02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Allright girls - it's official. I think most of us are suffering from one form of cabin fever or another!
So in the interest of shaking up our routines, here's my question:

What in the hell do you do to help with cabin fever?

I went shopping, and found these lovely little scents from the Isle of Capri (thank you Giada!!):
http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Carthusia-Six-Sampler-Coffret__CARTHUSIASIXSAMPLERCOFFRET.aspx

for right about $20, I think they'll be a welcome breath of spring!!

Are you planning sewing projects (or finishing last season's stuff)? Anyone taken any vacations? Planning your faire itinerary? Wistfully window-shopping through amazon or ebay - link the stuff you're coveting!!

Share! Share!!

Gemdrite
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I feel like a junkie, I'm jonesing for faire so badly right now. Can't wait for SoCal! In the meantime, I've swamped myself with projects at school. Besides the usual tasks that go along with being a teacher, I just did some ordering for recess equipment, I'm planning a book fair, I am almost two years into redoing our school library (getting a computerized catalog system going; right now it's being used, but only most of our fiction books are in it.) I'm also putting together a resource binder for our school of local tutoring centers, speech therapy places, and other places that we can let parents know about, since we don't get funding from the government for special education and the public schools will no longer serve our children. Really looking forward to warmer weather (I know 60s is nothing compared to you guys getting dumped on, but for we who are used to 70s and 80s, 9 months of 60s really blows.)

Lady Sarah
02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm window shopping Nordstrom's for some killer shoes... and I've scored a few purses, a pair of shoes and two different animal print fabrics off of ebay. I've been on a jewelry kick from Charming Charlie's in the last few weeks and I'm planning my vacations this year - one to Iowa the middle of May for my eldest niece's graduation (GEEEEZ she's graduating already!!) and then the first of June when we take her on a cruise through the Caribbean for her graduation present. So there's a lot of clothes planning and shopping there.

I've also been on a bit of a SatC kick. It's the clothes and shoes! At the moment, I'm taking a lot of personal inspiration from the four gals and trying to be a little bit more adventurous with the clothing and personal style.

Adriana Rose
02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I have some coconut body butter that I use when I need to feel summery. After a rousing hour of shoveling the damn drive with drifts up to my knees I really needed the yummy coconut smell.

Other than that, Im working on garlands and keeping up with the kiddo.

Gellis Indigo
02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
... the public schools will no longer serve our children.

Wait. What?
PM me so as not to clutter this thread, k?

Lady Hefron
02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I picked up this absolutely gorgeous cotton/linen sky blue fabric that is going to become a front lace up Kirtle with a royal blue silk sideless surcotte.

Bean
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I have been adding to my stock for 2 shows in March and trying to get some new garb done. Most times when I go to sew with a friend we end up shopping at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's all day and get nothing done!!! We are planning a "finish the projects weekend" where we don't leave the house and just finish all the crap we have started.

I have several skirts, chemises, and bodices cut out and a few things in various stages of "doneness". We are going to tie up all the loose ends on these and then maybe start cutting out new stuff.

Keep an eye out in the wbay forum ladies and gents, I am going to go through some of the stash and sell some fabrics. I have alot of wool that was given to me that I don't really want so that will be the first stuff on the selling block.

Lady Sarah
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
keep an eye out in the wbay forum ladies and gents, i am going to go through some of the stash and sell some fabrics. I have alot of wool that was given to me that i don't really want so that will be the first stuff on the selling block.

ooooooo!

Torra
02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm planning a denim duvet cover - just ordered the fabric yesterday! I just really wanted something that the dog hair will wash off easily and that can handle a bit more abuse than cotton sateen. Then if I have any left, I'm going to make a blanket to throw on the couch for when she comes up so I don't have to clean it all the time. I really should have considered that when deciding between fabric chenille and leather...

Kathryn Blakeley
02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm makin' myself a new effigy corset (since my silk ones are at home and I need some here at the apartment)! The top layer is going to be made out of an old set of sheets from when I was 5. It's cute! Little shapes in different colors all over a white background.

Going to Florida in 3 weeks! I'm excited for that. I'm ready for the snow to be over with.

Otherwise, I'm finishing up my last semester before student teaching. And one of my classes is really helping with the winter blues - ASL! It's so much fun to learn and our class and teacher are awesome. :-D

surlywench
02-06-2011, 07:29 PM
ooooooo!

what she said!!!!

the regiment is very strict about period accuracy - so wool, and linen are pretty much all I get to wear, lol. They were sensible not to make too big a fuss about my MFM corset though - one of the guys asked why I got to wear that, and I told him he should be so lucky as to see what I've got on under my gown, lol. Like, seriously - it's UNDERWEAR. bite me.

Lady Hefron
02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
what she said!!!!

the regiment is very strict about period accuracy - so wool, and linen are pretty much all I get to wear, lol. They were sensible not to make too big a fuss about my MFM corset though - one of the guys asked why I got to wear that, and I told him he should be so lucky as to see what I've got on under my gown, lol. Like, seriously - it's UNDERWEAR. bite me.

I had someone tell me that bloomers weren't period accurate. I told them that neither were my glasses or my walker, but I'm not going to faire without any of them. Kinda' shut them right up.

MaidenFaeSnow
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I've been enjoying the down time since losing my job. It has given me time to heal from my injury and I can now walk without even limping. I've also been working on a sewing project, a robe for when I'm in the hospital in the Spring, (hate the thought of having to wear hospital gowns!)

Ooo, and I just bought a new bike! Have to wait for the snow to melt but I'm looking forward to some great rides around Gettysburg!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fKsvJQtg_Xk/TU3ej1gyyhI/AAAAAAAAABk/HrGzYyhM8hI/s320/My+New+Bike.jpg

Ysobelle
02-06-2011, 10:17 PM
what she said!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

Ahem. I mean, "Nice!"

MaidenFaeSnow
02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Huge pick me up:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs893.ash1/180137_1721782617645_1630735117_1666423_6271065_n. jpg

surlywench
02-07-2011, 12:53 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

Ahem. I mean, "Nice!"

I did have a guy ask where his wife could get one, though...while staring directly at my boobs.
I wrote down your website for them, cause I dont think he was really paying attention to anything I was saying....

surlywench
02-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I had someone tell me that bloomers weren't period accurate. I told them that neither were my glasses or my walker, but I'm not going to faire without any of them. Kinda' shut them right up.

Yeah, in this regiment, EVERYTHING must be period accurate (or as close as can be gotten with modern materials) so glasses must be in period correct frames (or wear contacts, like me...), all footwear must be reproduction quality, etc...

but I draw the line at what goes on under stuff. I can't see your 10 yr old faded and holey boxers (thank you jesus, and I'm so sorry for your wife...), so why in the name of god do YOU get to care about my stuff?

The only other exceptions are for horse tack. Modern bits are allowed with us b/c the Capt. refuses to put rider safety at risk. He's a nice boy.

There's some pics on the website: http://www.fourthdragoons.com of our fine ponies :)

And GRATS!!!!!! To all of you who're Packers fans :)

MillieWylde
02-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Hmmm... cabin fever isn't much of a problem for me, right now. I'm in school studying Fish & Wildlife Management. This means that I have 3 lectures each week (one each day, M-W) and 2 labs. The Tuesday lab takes us outdoors for 3 hours every time we meet RAIN SNOW OR SHINE as long as the campus is open. The Friday lab hasn't taken us outside yet but it's coming... it's a wild fire management class - we'll be out helping with fires on the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park area if we're lucky! ::whistle:: (Am I slightly crazy for LOOKING FORWARD to the day...?)

When I do need a pick-me-up (also known as time away from Small Child) I prefer to watch a movie on my laptop in my bedroom with the door locked (used when his papa is home - Small is 3 ... doesn't really understand the whole "leave me alone for a while" bit yet), or sewing project if he's at daycare. I'm known for running around outdoors in all weather, though, so hiking in the middle of winter is also an option. With caution, if the weather should turn nasty, of course. ::runfore:

Phoenix McHeit
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I've been enjoying the down time since losing my job. It has given me time to heal from my injury and I can now walk without even limping.

Well YAY!!!!!!!!

I'm also enjoying the whole unemployed thing, for now at least. I'm dipping my toe in the Voice Over waters to see where that can take me. I head to Vermont the first weekend in March for a conference and demo recordings. Too exciting! I'd LOVE to do a Nat Geo narration.

I also have the usual outgrown garb to replace for the boys. Can't call them minis anymore! And I'd like a few new pieces for myself. I got so many compliments on my green chemise last season, I think I may make a few more of the latticework sleeve pattern.

surlywench
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd LOVE to do a Nat Geo narration.

OH MY GOD THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!!!!! Good Luck with it!!!

Holly
02-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Wait. What?
PM me so as not to clutter this thread, k?

I have the same questions...

Stolenhalo6
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm also enjoying the whole unemployed thing, for now at least. I'm dipping my toe in the Voice Over waters to see where that can take me. I head to Vermont the first weekend in March for a conference and demo recordings. Too exciting! I'd LOVE to do a Nat Geo narration.

Check to see if there are any small market independantly owned radio stations in your area. They're usually reliant on interns to voice their commercials and love gettting new voices. Won't pay much but at least it's practice.

Stolenhalo6
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I got wore out on cross stitch and push needle, so I taught myself how to crochet on Saturday. I've got one wash cloth almost done!

MillieWylde
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I got wore out on cross stitch and push needle, so I taught myself how to crochet on Saturday. I've got one wash cloth almost done!

AWESOME. :bow:

Bean
02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Okay ladies... pictures and descriptions of wool will start tomorrow in the w-bay section. I have to go dig out the other pieces in the attic. I may sort through the stash and possibly part with some other fabric.

DMIB
10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm planning to go and get some nice high heels boots, maybe some clothing and accesories too. ;)

Then planning a nice weekend out.