PDA

View Full Version : Help- need to remove stinky people!

Mistress Morigianna
03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I have a problem and I thought with all the different wenches here they might be able to help me.

Background-I am allergic to pot. It makes me break out in hives. If I spend too much time in the area of someone who has been smoking heavy I will start to itch. If I am in second hand smoke areas- I will hive than my airways will close. It is NOT funny or amusing to me when I am struggling to breathe. I know several other people- so this is not a "just me" situation.I don't want to get into a discussion on whether it is right or legal or anything- I really don't care. I just know I can not be around it. So I avoid places where it is common such as rock concerts and certain houses. My friends know- so if they use, they change clothes before seeing me or I know I can't ride in some of their cars so we take mine, No biggie.

We sell herbs & spices at our shop and sometimes people think we have other things. Usually after walking in and seeing the store - (bright, lots of costumes, aromatherapy oils, cooking supplies, tea, fabric & trims...) they realize they are looking for somewhere else. If they ask depending on the person and how they ask, they are told they are in the wrong place in no uncertain words. We have teachers who work for us and the owner is no-tolerence.Usually this happens once every few months and often these people have an -let's say "AURA" of skunk smell around them. Usually I just go in back for a few minutes until the person leaves. Then we turn the air on for a few minutes to clean up the lingering smell.

Lately we have had many more people coming in the shop that reek of pot. Some are buying incense or patchouli oil & leave. Some are "hanging out" for long periods of time. It is starting to upset and frankly scare some of our other customers (some of these "kids" are huge!). I don't know if it is just the the times or the new groups that are moving into the art collective upstairs. When a couple comes in and they reek, then they walk all over the shop and now the shop reeks. Then another customer comes in and freaks out and leaves. I am worried when the local cops come in (they shop here) and what they will think when they smell something.

We used to have a sign that said Shoes, Shirt and Personal Hygiene required!But we found out many didn't know what that was. The boss was working on a sign that said something like this is a drug-free store. We don't want to speak,hear or smell about any drug related subject.* But I thought that was rude.* I realize it is like cigarette smoke and if you are in it all the time you cannot smell it.

How do I politely tell kids to leave because they reek without getting into a discussion about the right or wrong of it. Or do I play stupid and say " Hey I think a skunk sprayed your clothes- you need to leave until you have a chance to change.....". I feel funny saying "I need to ask you to leave because the smell of your smoking is fowling the air and disturbing the other customers & employees.You are welcome to come back after you have cleaned up"

Torra
03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I see your point about the sign being rude, but I think your boss is spot-on. I don't think it's rude at all; it comes off as authoritative and considering it's a business not public service you can refuse service to anyone. Since the police shop there, you have an added element to an already-loaded mixture of loss of business, allergies/health risk, and poor publicity. You have a right to have unnecessary risk removed from your work environment. I wouldn't worry too much about the feelings of people who are not often purchasing and negatively affecting your business. I don't know your feelings on it, but lastly, if I were in that professional environment I would be insulted a little by the fact people assume that we sell illegal drugs. There's nothing wrong with clarifying to people exactly what services/products you offer.

I say go with the sign proposed by the boss. The risks to your work outweigh the feelings of people who aren't even customers yet.

Edit: I know you asked for a polite way to ask them to leave. Directing them to the sign is one way, and there's a difference between being polite in business (which I think the sign is) and being polite in social settings.

Lady Hefron
03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I agree with Torra. It is perfectly polite in a business setting to be more explicit about things.

I worked in a place that had a sign stating "No dogs allowed". This goes back a few years, OK well 10 years, but it was at the beginning of when everyone was carrying their small dogs everywhere. Yes, we caught a bit of flak, but not enough to significantly affect business.

WenchLadyKate
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I indulge on occasion, and have no problem with the sign. I'm also considerate most of the time and change (at least my shirt) before venturing out. Mostly, I don't want to stink. I know several people who are allergic, so I know it's not just you. Everyone has their sensitivity. There's nothign at all wrong with the sign. Especially if it's pretty :-)

Also, if you're close enough, I see no harm in telling someone, that you're sorry, you seem to be allergic to the scent that they're wearing, while you appreciate their business, perhaps they could come back at a later time without the scent. If they give you shit for it, maybe find out if it would be alright to offer them some kind of special on an item they buy or something.

You're definately right in that sometimes, if you're around it, you don't smell it. I bet some of these folks have no idea they stink, your words might just make them think about it the next time they venture out after smoking up.

The 6th Rogue
03-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Photoshop a Drug Free School Zone sign to read Drug Free Shopping Zone and put a disclaimer under it saying the store has a zero tolerance policy for illegal substances and the police will be called if needed. It isn't rude to keep a private shop like the one you work in under a set of rules that the staff are comfortable with.

Madame Deanna
03-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Photoshop a Drug Free School Zone sign to read Drug Free Shopping Zone and put a disclaimer under it saying the store has a zero tolerance policy for illegal substances and the police will be called if needed. It isn't rude to keep a private shop like the one you work in under a set of rules that the staff are comfortable with.

I like the Drug Free Shopping Zone sign idea!

Adding this to the end of Rogue's disclaimer would be a hoot: So, if you smell of pot, it's not time to shop! Please come back another time. Thank you.

LOL!

Phoenix McHeit
03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't have a personal problem with it, but I can certainly understand not wanting to break out in hives or have your airways close up at your job! You're not out of line for making some kind of stink about clearing the air.

You're in Cali, right? Perhaps a sign stating "No, we do not sell marijuana - medicinal or otherwise - in this shop. Please don't ask. " Maybe add something to the effect of "If you smell like pot, you will be nicely asked to leave."

Or even "420 UN-friendly, don't even try." ;-)

daBaroness
03-13-2011, 12:54 AM
If these are indeed "kids" I'm afraid subtle won't do it. Common courtesy is an oxymoron these days. Maybe I'm completely insensitive but I see nothing wrong with a frank, but funny sign in a place of business. Maybe "We may look like a retro head shop, but we outgrew pot in the 70s. If you haven't, please come back when you don't stank."

Or maybe - "Yes, it may sound strange but we really are allergic to ganga - we'd invite you to come back when you won't send us into anaphalctic shock." Thanks

Or how about "We can't tell you're a dope if you don't reak of it. Don't burst our bubble."

Then there's always the verbal, "Dude, I'm not sure if I'm more nauseated by your B.O. or the blunt you just smoked. If I puke on you, will you go away?"

;-)

surlywench
03-15-2011, 08:40 PM

this :)

if they come in, politely ask them to leave and cite the policy. if they get jerky, call the police :)

pngwnmama
03-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I am allergic to lot of perfumes and having been in retail for a looooong time, I have learned that most people are understanding when you tell them that you need to ask them to move away or leave. If it is small shop especially. "I am sorry but whatever scent you are wearing today is causing my allergies to act up (or is very overpowering) and interfering with the pleasant (and legal) smells of our shop. Could I ask you to step outside, or come back another time with out the added benefit of whatever you swam in?" might be work. :) I think the drug-free shopping zone is an excellent idea. Good luck!

The 6th Rogue
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Any updates on this situation?