View Full Version : Daylight savings thingy

Buxom Wench
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
It's happening this weekend.
*sigh*
I just got use to the time as it is. :roll:

Lady Hefron
03-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I really hate it. It screws with me every time. It has never been shown to save a bit of energy (the main reason for it), so just do away with it and leave time to her natural flow.

Bean
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
It's really early this year, and the fall back was late last year. They are extending it for some unknown reason. It originally was started so that kids won't stand in the dark to get the bus to school during the winter.

WenchLadyKate
03-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I found this interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

For the record, I hate daylight savings...

Phoenix McHeit
03-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Well my take on it is - it's been stretched so dang far now, we might as well not even bother switching back. It's from March to November now. What's the point?:roll:

Drea Beth
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I found this interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

For the record, I hate daylight savings...

Thanks, Kate! That was interesting. :)

Gemdrite
03-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Well my take on it is - it's been stretched so dang far now, we might as well not even bother switching back. It's from March to November now. What's the point?:roll:
Maybe that's the plot. Each year they keep stretching it until eventually, we just stop doing it! Getting people used to not having it without even realizing it. :thinking:

Lady Hefron
03-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe that's the plot. Each year they keep stretching it until eventually, we just stop doing it! Getting people used to not having it without even realizing it. :thinking:

From your mouth to God's ears!

WenchLadyKate
03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't think Arizona participates, I could be wrong though. Anyone know?

Drea Beth
03-11-2011, 10:06 AM

IIRC, Arizona does not change time. They stay on Standard time all year. Also, the city of Indianapolis doesn't change. That was a fun one when I used to have to deal with a manufacturing plant located there. Just about the time I got used to them being an hour behind us, it was time to change the clocks again.

Phoenix McHeit
03-11-2011, 10:56 AM

You are correct. My parents live in Surprise, about an hour outside of Phoenix. I'm forever double-checking the time difference when I call them. "Is it two hours or three today? I forget"

Bean
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I think Indiana varies by county if they participate.

WenchLadyKate
03-11-2011, 04:18 PM

I don't wanna play. I think I'm going to take it upon myself to not practice this stupid stupid thing. Daylight savings is really a cult that wants us all to worship the sun.

Phoenix McHeit
03-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Oh wow - can you IMAGINE??? Working in one county and living in another, only one of which participates?

That would make me nuts. "N-V-T-S, Nuts!" ;-)

MillieWylde
03-12-2011, 08:55 AM

For a while there it was about the upper half of the state that did not participate. (I have family there.) A lot of them have gone over to one side or the other now, though. (Like Eastern Time or Central Time - no more switchy.) Used to drive ME nutz when I was attending college in VA and my parents lived in northern IN... but then I discovered that they didn't care what time I called, so long as I CALLED ...and I stopped worrying about it! :snicker:

daBaroness
03-13-2011, 12:00 AM
I actually like DST. I just feel more energized when it gets dark later in the day. But I agree we'd be better off to just change the time and keep it that way. It seems pointless to go back and forth - it's just too disruptive to our internal clocks and physiology.

Buxom Wench
03-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I just found the "history" (http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html) of DST.

Here's just a snippet:
"Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time is extended one month and begins for most of the United States at:
2 a.m. on the Second Sunday in March
and lasts until
2 a.m. on the First Sunday of November.

The new start and stop dates (http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html#chart) were set in the Energy Policy Act of 2005."

I still think we should just set the damn clocks and leave them.
DST was pretty much set up before people had wonky schedules.
The only people I personally know effected by DST are farmers who milk on schedule.
For the rest of us, it's a maor P.I.T.A.

The 6th Rogue
03-14-2011, 10:51 AM
The whole thing should be tossed out the window with rotary phones and black and white TV sets. It's antiquated and pointless.

Then again; it is yet one more distraction to keep us from noticing what the Evil Shadow Government and their Alien Space Bat Masters are actually up to.