PDA

View Full Version : Possible Wench Road Trip

Lady Sarah
04-21-2011, 11:56 PM
It's been discussed on FB between Nikki and Myself about a possible overseas Wench Road Trip.

Actually, it got started with an off-hand comment about Venice and Ali Gail jumped in and said to sign her up, "Wench Trip!" she's love to go to any of the places I'd mentioned. Nikki then jumped in with the mention of London and that several other Wenches would love to go.

So... if Nikki or I get in touch with a travel agent and get pricing, would anyone else like to go with us? Nikki and her minion want to go, me, possibly Ali, Richard MacHugely has said he'd like to go...

I need SERIOUS answers before either of us contact a travel agent to get it set up.

Kathryn Blakeley
04-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Bwahahaaaaa!!

BTW all, Alli Gail is me. :P (just so none of y'all are confused)

I would just need to know when. :)

Ysobelle
04-22-2011, 12:38 AM
I think spring, but that wouldn't work for Sarah, so she said June, and I think that'd be nice. It's tourist season, but not too beastly hot.

Lady Sarah
04-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Nikki suggested Late April, but that'd be out for me, I'm scheduled to graduate in the Spring and I've been told that I *WILL* be in town and I *WILL* cross the stage... my parents have waited twenty years, so they're a little insistent. LOL

I'm looking at early June. I know it's the start of tourist season, but it's either that or it gets put off until the fall again.

Ysobelle
04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry-- I meant next June. I can't go this June. I was offered a cruise to Alaska, and you bet your sweet bippy I'm going.

Kathryn Blakeley
04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
June sounds good to me! :)

I kinda figured you meant next June.

Lady Sarah
04-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah... 2012. I'm busy already for this June. LOL WOO HOO!! Caribbean here I come!

Kathryn Blakeley
04-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Awww you guys are going awesome places!

I'm...just here. In Michigan. With the crazy weather.

Phoenix McHeit
04-22-2011, 07:22 AM
As incredible as it sounds - with getting my new voice business up off the ground I don't think I'm going to have two spare nickles to rub together.

Dangit....that would be Amazing

DangerousCurves
04-22-2011, 08:45 AM
So if anyone is up for a mini road trip, ya'll can come up to CT and see me. I miss you guys! We have two faires, neither of which I've attended yet, within 25 mins from my house. And for those who like a good show and great food, maybe a lil gambling - Mohegan Sun is right down the road from me.

Bean
04-22-2011, 10:18 AM
We can make it my birthday trip for next year!!! I'm in. Depending on where you want to go I might be able to book a time share for part of the rooming situation.

Lady Sarah
04-22-2011, 11:16 AM
*pout* I want my Phee!!!

YAY Bean!! We'll celebrate your birthday and my graduation, how's that?

So far that's four confirmed yes' here and Nikki's minion.

Phoenix McHeit
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
*pout* I want my Phee!!!

I want my Sawah too, dangit. Well, tell ya what.... If I could have a ballpark guesstimate, and figure how much I need to set aside each week/month/whatever... I might be able to squeeze it. Problem is, I don't even know what to approximate. Do you?

Lady Sarah
04-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Well, Nikki and I wanted to have a working idea of how many were going before we went to a travel agent to put a package together. If Bean's able to work on part of the housing situation, then that will help.

I'm thinking first or second week in June 2012.

BronxGirl
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Hopefully I'll get a job soon and can save some money. I'd love to celebrate my birthday, too. My passport needs stamps!

Bean
04-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Destination would be the first issue. I would need that to figure out if I can book a condo.

Ysobelle
04-22-2011, 09:58 PM
The idea is London, though I have to take a couple of days in Scotland to scout a supplier for tartan silk. I assure you all: I make an excellent London tour guide.

Bean
04-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I have already looked for London and no timeshares there. The best I can do in England is a canal boat. So we are on our own for rooms.

Ysobelle
04-23-2011, 12:28 AM
There's a hotel in which I usually stay that's reasonable, but just enough luxurious to make for a grand vacation: the Millennium Bailey's, on Gloucester Road in South Kensington. There's also The Gainsborough, a lovely hotel that used to, long ago, be housing for students. I lived there back when the earth was young, and I'd love to see what it's like now. It's just up the road.

Lady Sarah
04-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Nik, dear... for those of us who have to budget (and who doesn't? LOL ) can you give us a rough estimate of what you spent on flight, room, food? That might help Phee get an idea of what she'll need to start with.

Ysobelle
04-24-2011, 12:09 AM
My last trip, I split the room with a friend. Air and hotel cost me about $1700. That sounds like a lot, but we were there ten days. Airfare generally runs in the $600-$700 range by itself. And it's partly the comfort-loving Taurus in me, and partly pure practicality: I fly British Airways every time so far. Their planes are more comfortable, and the food is much, much better. It's a long flight, and you want to minimise the stress as much as possible.

Getting from Heathrow into central London is incredibly easy by Tube, which runs directly from the lowest level of the terminals. You'll need to buy an Oyster card, which is a refillable Tube pass, and which you can get right there at the airport. You can pay what you want; most Zone 1 (central London) trips are 1.50, or thereabouts. Most attractions are Zone 1, as well. The card's also good on the busses.

Depending on what people want to do, I can advise on all kinds of day trips and events. We don't all have to stay together. There's more in this one city than anyone could hope to see in a lifetime. I just want to make sure we're there when The Globe is open, between April and October. There's a half-price ticket booth in Leicester Square, and a hotel concierge is also an invaluable help.

As for spending money-- yes, I'm jumping around a bit-- you can eat cheaply all over the city, from fast food to kiosks to cafes. There are tons of free things to do at all times-- I have an app for that on my iPhone even now-- and many museums are free or pay-what-you-will. And these are some of the finest museums in the world. If anyone's interested, I'm hoping to contact the Victoria & Albert Museum, which has the most astonishing costume collection I've ever seen, to ask if I can look at their archives. They'll allow people to actually see and examine some of their pieces-- Elizabethan doublets to Dior gowns. I'm hoping to see Elizabethan and Victorian pieces.

There's a ton more-- any questions, just ask. Distractions are good right now, so fire away!

Lady Sarah
04-24-2011, 12:41 AM
*raises hand for the costume museum*
I'm in!!

So... depending on choices for activities, $2500 - $3000 would probably cover it?

Ysobelle
04-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes, it should. It really depends on how long we go, when we go (height of tourist season or not), and what we do whilst there.

Throw ideas at me, and I'll throw suggestions back. What are you into? What kinds of things would you like to see?

Bean
04-24-2011, 01:11 AM
I definately want to go back to the Tower. We only spent a couple hours there and I missed alot of it. I tried to see what a flight might cost but British is only booking through next April. I also whole heartedly recommend BA. It was the BEST flight and food I ever had on a plane. And yes, the Tube is soooooooo easy. I got the hang of it in a day and had no trouble navigating on my own for 5 days or so. I still have my Oyster card from my trip in 2008. I'll pull out my stuff from my trip and see what I have for other ideas.

Ysobelle
04-24-2011, 01:57 AM
I carry my Oyster card and my passport with me at all times. You know...just in case.

Phoenix McHeit
04-24-2011, 09:53 AM
I carry my Oyster card and my passport with me at all times. You know...just in case.

This is adorable. ;-)

So approximately $3K, alright. Well that's a jumping-off point. Let me crunch some numbers and see what I come up with. I might be able to do this.

Lady Sarah
04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
*crosses fingers, toes and eyes*

OK... $3000 isn't too bad of a number!

I've never been to London, so I've NO idea what I want to do. I'm game for a one day trip up to Scotland with you, Nik, to meet with a tartan supplier. LOL

Think there's a day in the fabric shops we could do? I don't mind some theater trips, either.

My usual vacation plans are more leaning towards educational rather than leisurely. I like things that I can learn from instead of just lolling about doing nothing.

Ysobelle
04-24-2011, 03:15 PM
It takes about five hours or more to get to, say, Edinburgh from London. Britain is small to us, but it's not THAT small. So it'd have to be an overnight trip at least. I know Bux did it, though she didn't come all the way from London.

Theatre? Shopping? Historical walking tours? Castles? More theatre? Sushi? There's a company that does amazing walking tours, day and night. Like Victorian London, Jack the Ripper tours-- you name it.

And, of course, Doctor Who tours.

GoodyTombShoes
04-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm in. I was going this July to visit friends but I'll just postpone it for a year. They live out close to Nottingham in the center of the country. So I'll do the Nikki London tour then head over to stay with my friends.
The best part is I've already put aside $2000.

Lady Sarah
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
OK, so an overnight possibly in Edinburgh... Do we think a 10 day trip would be feasible?

I'm in for castles and walking tours. LOL with a little theater and pubs on the side. OH.. and MUST HAVE SUSHI!

Heck, as long as I get some fish & chips, I'm a happy camper. LOL

So far the count right now is 6, possibly 7 if Phee can swing it.

Ysobelle
04-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, if we DO stay at the Bailey's, there's a fish and chips shop across the street. Or there was in January of '09.

We might also want to think about a rental apartment. With enough people, it could be more economical. There's a market for them in London. There's a market for rental cottages as well, but I don't think we could find one in the city, and that would make travel slightly inconvenient, and more expensive. And I don't know about any of you, but I am NOT driving in the UK. If I didn't get myself killed before I adjusted to driving on the left, I'd probably come to grief readjusting to driving on the right.

BTW: I don't get too much culture shock going over. Coming back, though, is always weird.

Bean
04-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I did a Jack the Ripper tour that was really good.

Lady Sarah
05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
^ bump!!

Ysobelle
05-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh, I haven't forgotten.

Were we to go in September, right now, the prices are, for RT on BA, and ten nights at the Millennium Bailey's, $2,192.76 per person for double occupancy. I believe that air price may drop the closer we get to September.

Were we to go in June, well, I can't know for next year quite yet, as no one knows what fuel prices will be. I know we can't go this year, but just for comparison, the same trip would be $2,656,25.

I think it's safe to say September will more than likely be less expensive than June. The weather should still be lovely, the Globe will still be open.

Lady Sarah
05-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm not opposed to going in September. I just have to warn that I'm hoping to be accepted into a Master's program, so I can't guarantee availability then. But, $500 is $500... If it's more feasible to go later, then we can go later.

Kathryn Blakeley
05-06-2011, 12:21 AM
I unfortunately would not be able to do Septembers. This September is student teaching and then hopefully by the next September would be actually teaching...but who knows at this point.

Ysobelle
05-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Well, we don't know what fuel prices will be like in thirteen months, so it's entirely possible the price might be less in June of 2012. We shall keep happy thoughts!

Bean
05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I read lots of online travel articles and one recently said that early June and flying on weekdays is usually cheaper than peak travel months (mid June to August) and days (Fri thru Sun.) Also, flying into a hub is generally cheaper.

Once we get into June, we can start keeping an eye on BA airfare. They only go out one year for rezzies.

Lady Sarah
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Has anyone flown Virgin Atlantic?

Ysobelle
05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes. It was awesome.

Lady Sarah
05-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Yes. It was awesome.

are they comparable price wise with BA?

Ysobelle
05-26-2011, 02:46 AM
I don't actually know, because I usually don't look. I'm not sure Expedia ranks them. I think they're often somewhat more expensive, though. But the service is great. It was '90, though.

KissMeKate
05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
For our honeymoon a couple of years ago, we flew BA to England and did a very long and lovely circle tour. We flew BA because it was slightly cheaper and the flight times fit our timing and schedule better. But as we were watching fares, we did note that if BA or Virgin adjusted their rates (either up or down), the other followed within a few days.

Sounds like a great trip! Don't think I'd be able to make it tho, as the hubby would be very jealous if I went without him. :smile:

Phoenix McHeit
06-01-2011, 10:01 AM
So, yeah. Looks like I'm not going to be able to go on this after all. Eldest's Senior Year is coming up, and we'll have Senior Photos, Prom, College trips to take... many Once-In-A-Lifetime things that will eat up any discretionary funds I may have.

I will live vicariously through you for this trip, and will look forward to a repeat adventure with better timing in the future.

*sad face*

Ysobelle
06-05-2011, 02:28 PM
So, are we thinking spring or fall 2012? And who'd be up for a side trip to Wales? The Doctor Who Experience is moving to Cardiff, see, and....

Lady Sarah
06-12-2011, 05:20 PM
well.... considering that I've just gotten back from the cruise with my niece and she's just slobbering to go again and EVERYONE in my family has it in their head that MY graduation cruise is in 2012 instead of 2013... my participation in the wench trip is tentative right now. I'll know more later this summer.

BronxGirl
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
If we go to Wales, can we visit some Dylan Thomas sites? *puppydog eyes*

Ysobelle
06-13-2011, 04:07 AM
If we go to Wales, can we visit some Dylan Thomas sites? *puppydog eyes*

Oh, G-d, yes! You take point on that, though. I don't know enough about him!

BronxGirl
06-13-2011, 04:36 AM
/salutes

You got it, boss!

Ysobelle
07-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Having sat in a diner with our dear Bronxgirl this afternoon, watching planes take off, and seeing BA 66 depart (18 minutes late) for Heathrow, I feel compelled to bump this. I have not forgotten. Spring 2012 is what I'm leaning towards, at this point. Summer will be impossible (Olympics) and I don't know if I want to wait that long for autumn.