PDA

View Full Version : Sketcher's Shape-ups for Girls

Lady Laurie
05-12-2011, 03:14 PM
As if the padded bras weren't enough....

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/do-little-girls-really-need-shape-up-toning-sneakers-2482670/'t

RedFox
05-12-2011, 04:35 PM
The link you posted had been changed Laurie :(

But in terms of the actual product - I'm sorry I see no problem with it. When it comes to the shape-ups for girls everyone is automatically thinking of the sexualized commercials made for women. But the cartoon commercial is not that bad - I'm sorry. And the product itself is a good idea for girls considering that shape-ups are a toning shoe that also help in losing weight and strengthening muscles from just doing everyday activities (like walking). Considering that most children are staying inside in front of the computer or playing video games (even the extremely young children) making shoes that promote a better body, to me, is a good idea. This can be considered a move to try and help tone your kids muscles and help keep them in shape or, if you want to see it that way, can sexualize young girls. Sorry I'm going to have to opt for the former. I have shape-ups, my co-workers have shape-ups, I have friends with shape-ups, and some of them do have kids and, yes, they probably would get shape-ups for them.

Torra
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
New link: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/do-little-girls-really-need-shape-up-toning-sneakers-2482670/

I have to say I agree with RedFox. You can find something to be offended about, but this is nowhere near the level of padded bikini tops. Kids wear sneakers. There's nothing wrong with getting sneakers that tone, or make physical activity fun (I'm told the bouncy sensation takes some getting used to but that's it's kind of entertaining). If this didn't air in such a sexualized-sensitive time, I doubt anyone would think twice. It would be girls rocking out while boys stink - a message that appeals to young kids and, again, might get them to want to be more active since sneakers are an active shoe. Even if they're not active, there's more bang for your buck.

Gemdrite
05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I think that the argument that kids are obese and these shoes are a way to help them is weak at best. It's been proven that shape-ups aren't any better than regular sneakers and can actually cause medical problems with your feet and legs. If an adult wants to wear the shoes, fine, that's your perogative. And if a parent wants to buy them for their kid, fine, that's their perogative. But frankly, I agree that it's only encouraging girls to start worrying about their looks at younger and younger ages. That commercial didn't say one word about being healthy. It did mention "looking good." If it was about being healthy, why are they only for girls?

Ultimately, it's the parents who needs to decide for their kids. But I definitely think they are a bad idea.

RedFox
05-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Well if we want to go by the sketchers commercial itself then I guess their commercial for high-tops would be telling girls that they need to worry about their looks to. Which the commercial featuring "Hydee HyTop" (kind of wonder if they changed her last name for the shape-ups one) is a very cute cartoon about looking cool, a boy gets turned into a frog, etc. That it image too - hell every type of merchandising is going for how you look, regardless of your age. And even though the shape-ups commercial doesn't necessarily say it they do have "Stay fit.... Have fun.... in Shape-ups!" at the end of it when they show a picture of the product.

And on the note of shape-ups can cause medical problems - so can every other shoe on the market unless it has been custom cut to your foot. It doesn't matter if it is flats, sneakers, heels, etc etc. I work in a shoe store and I don't know how many customers have come in trying to find shoes that would be ok with whatever problem they have. I recently had a customer who was under Doctor's orders not to wear sneakers for more than 2 hours a day... and only if she absolutely needed to wear them (I.E. going to the gym, running, general exercise, etc). Lets face it no matter what there is on the market today it can be associated with something sexualized, being all about your image, or it is in some way a risk to your health.

Phoenix McHeit
05-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I bought a pair of those toning shoes (I forget exactly which brand) about a year ago. Returned them in two days. They made my shins to sore I could barely walk, after wearing them for an hour. My shins, not my calves or butt. No way would I ever give them to a still-developing child, regardless of gender.

That said - I agree with RedFox here. The commercial that was on the link seemed to me to be the usual, ubiquitous 'Girls are cool and boys drool' schtick that's abundant in the tween years. I have more of a problem with the boys being portrayed as mouth-breathers who couldn't possibly hope to keep up with the bouncy, peppy girls, than I do with a shoe marketed solely to girls.

There are plenty of legitimate overly-sexualized messages to cry foul about. This ain't one, sorry.

KissMeKate
05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
I wore out my first set of Shape-ups over a year and just got my second pair - although these don't have quite the same amount of curve on the sole. No, I haven't lost weight simply because of my shoes, and no, I don't look like a running model. But I have found that because my steps are more rolling, my knees aren't killing me after a mile. I can walk further and more comfortably. But I agree, they aren't going to be for everyone, and don't get them just because of the hype and the commercials.

The 6th Rogue
05-23-2011, 12:38 PM
My wife has been using the adult version of the shoes for several months now and we are both very happy with the results. You'll be sore as hell for the few few days/weeks but afterwards it does help things along. My wife spends all day on her feet at work and once she was used to the shoes she was very happy.

As for growing children wearing them: I'd like to see some pediatrician and doctor reports on if it has a positive or negative effect.

willow of the wooded fortress
07-21-2011, 02:33 PM
I worked in the women's shoe department at Nordstrom's last year and the adult version sold like hot cakes. we were told to tell those with bad knees not to wear them and also for those who are not as fit not to long at first. These warnings make me wonder if a developing body may not need these. The knees are not something to play with. Aside from that I think they are just unattractive shoes and simple exercise works best in my book. And young girls should be getting that by playing outside, running, taking ballet or tap, hiking, biking.....the possibilities are endless. LOL