PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay in The Florida Keys.

Wicked
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I would love to take a trip to the Keys.
I have always had this vision of a hammock between two palm trees and sleeping in some hut on the beach. OK, OK not very realistic..
Does anyone know of a place to stay that is relitively cheep near the water. I dont care which island.
I was also wondering about camping in a tent and if that is a good or bad idea in Florida.

Thistle
05-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Key Largo has a gorgous tent camping area right near the beach. Camped there over New Years Eve a couple times while I lived down there (in fact, the last sunset of 1999 was viewed from Key West. It was bleh- too many clouds) will looksee if I have an addy

Also, John Pennecamp State Park is well worth a visit, and a snorkle, and if memory serves they have camping, too

tents are fine for most of Florida. When possible, I sleep outdoors without a tent, too.
don't forget tick and mosquito repellent

Redbird Annie Cardinal
05-28-2011, 07:35 PM
We lived in the Keys from 1984 to 1987. It's been so long ago, I can't recommend anywhere to stay, since everything's probably changed now.

One thing I do remember, is that there are not a lot of sandy beaches. There are a lot of rocky beaches. So be sure to bring along flip flops or water shoes, because the rocks can cut your feet. And I remember it wasn't very comfortable lying on the rocky beaches, so we brought chairs to sit/lounge on.

Wicked
05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info Ladies.
My daughter (who's 21) says to me, I brought it up, "Mom, do you know how big the bugs are?" She is such a woose.
Im going with or without her. I've got itchy feet and its time for this girl to take a walkabout.