PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Illegal Immigration Law

DoņaNina
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jXoxshS38zCVlGeBlEOgqVMRKARw?docId=dbf992382 23a474f97e4a6b9a211d8aa

The bill signed Thursday allows police to arrest anyone suspected of being an illegal immigrant if they're stopped for any other reason. It also requires public schools to determine students' immigration status and makes it a crime to knowingly give an illegal immigrant a ride. Alabama employers are now required to determine if any new worker is in the country legally.

So when you say "suspected of being an illegal immigrant", what you mean is....?

Triskel
06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Wouldn't that be racist? The only way you can 'suspect' someone for being a immigrant I would think is by their language, skin tone, and how they act. Overall, I would think that would be racist to determine if they were or weren't a immigrant.

DoņaNina
06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't that be racist?

Basically. I can understand requiring proof and arresting someone based on evidence, but.. arresting someone you think might possibly be an illegal immigrant? Oh boy. Here we go. Might as well lock me up right now!

Phoenix McHeit
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Now wait a sec here. Before anyone goes off a-blazin', let's clarify a few things.

Yes, it could be considered racist, if it were abused. However, that being said - not every cop in town is just scheemin' on gettin' those gol-durned brownies outta town, by gum.

Nina, I highly HIGHLY doubt that you'd fall into the category of 'suspected illegal immigrant'.
For one, behavior. I don't see you running in desperation (or trying to run) from the slightest whiff of a badge.
For two, language. I don't see you speaking ONLY in Spanish, or such a badly cribbed pidgin that it's hardly understandable.
For three, clothing. I doubt an illegal has the extra cash to spend on Nike, or Tommy Hilfiger, or Aeropostale, or whatever the 'cool kids' are wearing now. Any illegal immigrant I've ever known has been much more interested in sending money back to help his/her family who are in desperate situations of their own, rather than dressing stylin'.

Just having brown skin and speaking Spanish does not automatically qualify you for 'suspect list'. Polite, well-mannered, non-furtive behavior will take one far in life.

DoņaNina
06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
For three, clothing. I doubt an illegal has the extra cash to spend on Nike, or Tommy Hilfiger, or Aeropostale, or whatever the 'cool kids' are wearing now. Any illegal immigrant I've ever known has been much more interested in sending money back to help his/her family who are in desperate situations of their own, rather than dressing stylin'.

HAY! Since when do I dress well?? I'll have you know I'm one of the worst dressed people I know!

Just having brown skin and speaking Spanish does not automatically qualify you for 'suspect list'. Polite, well-mannered, non-furtive behavior will take one far in life.

You're absolutely right. However, that's why this is dumb. Because I'm sure there are plenty of polite and well-mannered illegal immigrants, out there. And if we're using appearances to judge whether or not someone should be arrested, there's going to be a lot of annoying screw-ups.

That being said, racial profiling does happen.. believe me! 2 of my brothers in law are cops. :mmph:

Kae
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I t hink the school portion would be enough. If the students have to prove legal status - then the rest follow.
The other stuff would be unnecessary. (sorry for any spelling errors. I am in Germany and trying to type in English is hard after only speaking German. I felt this was important enough to try.)

Kae
PS I head off to a medieval fest tomorrow. So cool.

LdyJhawk
06-11-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jXoxshS38zCVlGeBlEOgqVMRKARw?docId=dbf992382 23a474f97e4a6b9a211d8aa

So when you say "suspected of being an illegal immigrant", what you mean is....?

They mean anyone guilty of driving while hispanic, of course

Rowen
06-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I t hink the school portion would be enough. If the students have to prove legal status - then the rest follow.
The other stuff would be unnecessary. (sorry for any spelling errors. I am in Germany and trying to type in English is hard after only speaking German. I felt this was important enough to try.)

Kae
PS I head off to a medieval fest tomorrow. So cool.

Germany is a gorgeous country Kae; I lived there for 3 years and would love to take hubby there someday ::ike::

Having been born and raised in extreme (7 miles from the border) SoCal, I can tell you that INS has been doing this for at least 50 years via the I-5 and I-15 checkpoints between S.D. and L.A. Immigration stops all cars, shines a flashlight into the car and back seat, and if you are a non-latino you are waved through. Legals know to carry their green cards, Illegals just avoid the checkpoints altogether.
I see no problems with checking residential status of all enrolled students, makes more sense than paying a few hundred INS enforcers to man the checkpoints.

Lady Hefron
06-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Now wait a sec here. Before anyone goes off a-blazin', let's clarify a few things.

Yes, it could be considered racist, if it were abused. However, that being said - not every cop in town is just scheemin' on gettin' those gol-durned brownies outta town, by gum.

Nina, I highly HIGHLY doubt that you'd fall into the category of 'suspected illegal immigrant'.
For one, behavior. I don't see you running in desperation (or trying to run) from the slightest whiff of a badge.
For two, language. I don't see you speaking ONLY in Spanish, or such a badly cribbed pidgin that it's hardly understandable.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phoenix McHeit again."

Gemdrite
06-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Germany is a gorgeous country Kae; I lived there for 3 years and would love to take hubby there someday ::ike::

Having been born and raised in extreme (7 miles from the border) SoCal, I can tell you that INS has been doing this for at least 50 years via the I-5 and I-15 checkpoints between S.D. and L.A. Immigration stops all cars, shines a flashlight into the car and back seat, and if you are a non-latino you are waved through. Legals know to carry their green cards, Illegals just avoid the checkpoints altogether.
I see no problems with checking residential status of all enrolled students, makes more sense than paying a few hundred INS enforcers to man the checkpoints.

Interesting. I've driven that route many times in the four years I've lived out here, and not only have I never been stopped, but I never even saw a checkpoint. There was one checkpoint coming into the state where they stopped everybody and asked me if I was bringing any fruit or animals into the state (they said my brother didn't count) but that was it.

Gellis Indigo
06-19-2011, 07:56 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phoenix McHeit again."

I tried to remedy that situation for you, but got the same message, dagnabbit! Foiled again!

Phoenix McHeit
06-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I tried to remedy that situation for you, but got the same message, dagnabbit! Foiled again!

Y'all are adorable. Thanks for trying! :smile:

Margaret
06-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Don't worry - I gave Phee a big ole *thwap* with the Pillow of Reputation for ya'll. :hi:

Racial profiling happens. Not saying that it's a good thing or anything like that - but it does happen. It's a fact that most of the illegal immigrants in this country are of Hispanic origin.
[source - Wiki: The illegal immigrant population of the United States in 2008 was estimated by the Center for Immigration Studies to be about 11 million people, down from 12.5 million people in 2007.[2] Other estimates range from 7 to 20 million.[3] According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, in 2005, 56% of illegal immigrants were from Mexico; 22% were from other Latin American countries, primarily from Central America;[4] 13% were from Asia; 6% were from Europe and Canada; and 3% were from Africa and the rest of the world.[4]

You who should be pissed about all the Hispanic illegals? Those Mexicans, Cubans, Pureto Ricans and others of Hispanic decent who took the time and the effort to come here through legal channels. They are the ones being affected the most - not the whites, blacks or Asians or any other culture. It suprises me that more Hispanics are not up in arms about the illegals.

BronxGirl
06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Puerto Rico is a US territory. Puerto Ricans are American citizens by birth.

My neighborhood is full of illegal immigrants but they all have Irish accents so no one cares.

DoņaNina
06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
My neighborhood is full of illegal immigrants but they all have Irish accents so no one cares.

:lol: