PDA

View Full Version : Boning.

SHpepperKat
06-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have a good suggestion for where to get spring steel boning for sewing and dried flowers that do not cost a fortune?

Also I have heard that it is possible to use the strapping steel from lumber is this true ? How do you keep it from rusting?

devlyn
06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I sell spring steel bones on my website (1/2" wide). http://oddbodkin.com

SHpepperKat
06-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you. I will check it out. I realized that I am going to need it and the local place that used to sell it shut down.

The 6th Rogue
06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Heehee...she's looking for a good "Boning." :)

Drea Beth
06-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I've always used Grannd Garb. (http://granndcompanies.com/)

She's a wench and has always been great to deal with.

SHpepperKat
06-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I keep hoping I will find somewhere Local to the Seattle/Tacoma area. I don't like ordering things online if I can avoid it. But it is starting to seem like I will have to order this online.

Lady Hefron
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
I keep hoping I will find somewhere Local to the Seattle/Tacoma area. I don't like ordering things online if I can avoid it. But it is starting to seem like I will have to order this online.

I always have to order this stuff online. Never find any of it locally.

SHpepperKat
06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
There used to be a place that had it, but they closed that particular store and before they even had the closeout sale, they moved all the boning to another store that is north of Seattle. I don't know what I am going to do at this point, but I know I need to figure out a way to bone my corset and bodice i am making.

Drea Beth
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't know what I am going to do at this point, but I know I need to figure out a way to bone my corset and bodice i am making.

I used heavy duty tie wraps as boning in my 18th century stays. Not sure how that would work for a bodice, since the stays are fully boned instead of just in the front and sides.

You also mentioned buying strapping steel. I remember some years back there was a discussion of some kind of paint that could be used and worked for dipping the ends so they wouldn't cut through your fabric. Even though it's an odd request, someone at your local Lowes/Home Depot might have some suggestions.

RaevynCait
06-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Several wenches that I know have had success using electrician's steel fish tape like this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_39055-72068-438-2X_0__?productId=3182835&Ntt=fish+tape&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dfish%2Btape&facetInfo=

It runs less than $15 for 25 ft.

It's steel, 1/4" wide, can be cut with wire cutters, and works well for a lot of boning needs. Cut it to the length you need, file the corners off the cut, put a bead of high-temp hot glue on the ends, wipe it down to get the oil off it, then wrap it in electrical tape, sealing it up. it slides into the boning channel nicely and doesn't rust.

I feel like I get better support from 3/8" or 1/2" boning, so I don't use it, although I could just make double channels and get the 1/2" out of it.