View Full Version : Attention: Friends of John Broadfoot

06-26-2011, 09:40 PM
9:30 pm Sunday, June 26, 2011

This note has been authorized by Amy Cunningham Hardy and is being coauthored by Clay Russell and Lynda McCann.

First, apologies if this news has not reached you by a personal phone call, however, we wanted to get out immediate and accurate information to everyone as soon as possible.

John Broadfoot was admitted to the hospital Thursday evening with advanced jaundice. For the last couple of days test were done to determine the status of his condition. The news last evening was possible liver failure.

As of a few minutes ago, John's condition is now the following:

In Liver failure
Beginning Renal failure
Beginning dialysis tomorrow (6/27)
Has been given Lactulose
Will probably have Paracentesis to tap his belly and pull the fluid off

Basically, Amy said, "He's pretty damn sick. The prognosis is poor." Note: poor, NOT fatal.

It is important for everyone to know IT IS POSSIBLE TO REVERSE THESE CONDITIONS. Clay says that we need positive energy for healing and not goodbye.

Amy asks everyone for abundant prayers, healing thoughts, lit candles, and well wishes. Please leave messages for her on either her Wall or John's. As much as they love everyone, please do not call her at this time.

If you would like to send a card:

John Hardy
854 S. Parker Dr., Apt. G
Florence, SC 29501

For Amy and John
~ Clay and Lynda

P.S. We don't have everyone's contact information. Please send it in message to Lynda on FB or email to: [email protected] Lynda's the designated caller at this point.
(Phone numbers removed as this is a public forum.)

Thank you for reading.

Cross-posted from my Facebook account: http://www.facebook.com//lynda.mccann

06-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Healing vibes headed your way

Buxom Wench
06-27-2011, 05:39 AM
Hey Vyxen, as much as you'd like contact info out there for everyone, please remember this is a public forum and any nutjob can now see your personal phone numbers.
You might just have people PM you for those and take them offf public display.

All positive healing energies being sent to John, Amy and all who know and love him.

Phoenix McHeit
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm just sick at this news. Of course, prayers and candles definitely. And lots and lots of love.

06-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey Vyxen, as much as you'd like contact info out there for everyone, please remember this is a public forum and any nutjob can now see your personal phone numbers.
You might just have people PM you for those and take them offf public display.

All positive healing energies being sent to John, Amy and all who know and love him.

Done. Thanks.

06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
as of 7 pm EDT Amy Cunningham Hardy shared the following information:

John was moved to the ICU unit about 12:30 am
He vomited and there was a bit of blood
An access port was installed in his neck for dialysis
They took a break from the Lactulose for about 18 hours and are restarting it
John is actively moving on his own
His kidney function has nearly stopped
He hasn't gotten worse
Some of his lab values are better, some are not

He will have dialysis tomorrow

John's status is now Highly Critical; the doctor estimates 80% mortality rate for his condition;
Amy is betting on the 20%.

John really needs all the positive, hopeful prayers, good wishes, and healing thoughts from his friends. Updates will come from Lynda as his condition progresses.

Thank you all for your continued love and support.
~ Amy Cunningham Hardy
(as recorded by Lynda, Clay is at work)

If you want to send a card, the information is up-thread.

06-27-2011, 09:38 PM
God bless and keep them. I don't know John personally, but I remember him from here. Good thoughts going out to them both.

06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Healing thoughts headed his way, as well as to his friends and family. ::pray::

On a side note - I'm against doctors giving % chances. The human body is capable of miraculous things when there is hope.

06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
So many thoughts and prayers! Is he allowed visitors?

06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I just got back online this minute from a fried modem. I'm stunned and horrified. He is a very strong man, and he has much to live for. I'll pray.

Buxom Wench
07-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Do we have an update on John?

Lady Hefron
07-19-2011, 09:44 PM
While I don't know John I send my prayers for his recovery. I will light a candle for him tomorrow.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
There have been several updates per week. I thought You guys were being kept updated, sorry. I will post the updates that we have gotten in the order we have gotten them starting with the post from June 29th
We arrived about 2 yesterday. John was mostly unresponsive (non-verbal) and his color was still very yellow from the jaundice. Because both Amy and her Mom assured us that John could hear everything that was said to him (or around him) throughout the afternoon Lynda and Dan took turns reading aloud all of your comments, well-wishes and notes of encouragement. Every so often, there'd be a hint of a smile or a grunt at the attribution, so we knew he was indeed hearing everything. Keep those thoughts, prayers, lit-candles, and healing energy coming...they seem to be having the desired effect. In the afternoon, we convinced Amy to take a break for some much-needed rest. John had a visit from a favorite Aunt and we reread your postings. John was marginally verbal but was obviously making efforts to respond. Amy and her Mom got back late in the evening and John seemed stable enough for us all to clear out around 10 and let him get some solitary rest. REAL improvement this morning. Color better, MUCH more verbally facile (although it is obviously quite an effort), MUCH more responsive (tried to croak out the song "Cool, Clear Water" when asked is there was anything he wanted...in short, no shortage of small signs of improvement. from 11:30 am June 29th

Update on @John Broadfoot
by Lynda on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:16pm
On Wednesday, John received plasma; the bilirubin score remained the same (Jaundice); no discernible change in kidney and liver function. Later that day, after dialysis he started to communicate more, that transitioned into what we are calling his "Chatty Cathy" mode and, as of Thursday night, he's still going strong. He's not been able to sleep much, which isn't great. A lot of what he says is nonsensical, yet we could discern some song lyrics. Besides "Cool Clear Water," John favored us with the "Manamanah Song."

During Thursday, John received more plasma, an endoscopy, and a feeding tube was installed. All his IV lines were replaced. During that procedure his attention was occupied by holding his hand and singing along to "Health to the Company"; he recalled all they lyrics. During parts of the morning and afternoon many of the messages were read that were left for him, but it was clear most of the time that he couldn't quite understand what he was hearing; once in awhile he would repeat a name and even said "I know that!" very strongly in response to a particular post.

His endocrinologist was encouraged by John's movement in bed and verbal communication, even though John is confused a lot of the time. His liver and kidney functions remain the same, and the bilirubin still has had no discernible change either. His primary doctor said that John may be in ICU for at least two weeks.

John is far from being out of the woods, Amy said that he needs to make "baby mouse steps" of improvement.

Thank you all for your continued healing thoughts, prayers, good intentions and lit candles for his recovery. We absolutely believe it is having a positive effect on him.

From John's wife Amy:
Update on John, now 7/1/11: Sorry for the delayed posting on John's condition. He, of course, remains a very sick man but according to the liver specialist, he has made some small step improvements. This is the first time he's told that to my face and I've not had to hear it through other channels. For the past few days I've avoided this doctor like the plague because of his doom and gloom "odds and percentages", instead relying on our general physician/renal guy to keep me hopeful yet realistic. When I asked the liver guy if John had had any steps backwards in his recovery, he said absolutely not. The confusion is from a combination of things and should get better as time goes on. They finished up dialysis around 9:20 pm, and John was just as pleasantly confused, slurring words, as can be but can answer certain questions and follows commands beautifully. When I told him I'd brought in several letters and cards from y'all, you could tell he just wanted to say "Finally, mail for me!", but just couldn't put the words together (you know how he loves letters/cards).

John is still able to recognize certain people and was able to answer tonight where he was. They did change out his nasogastric tube today for feedings to a larger one since the one they placed yesterday was a tiny one and had clogged off. I snuck in a few ice chips tonight which he was thrilled at, but I can't talk too much about that since many of the nurses taking care of him are here on Facebook. Sh.
I did forget to mention that Dr. Pittard last night had commented on some leg/foot excercises and when I asked him thoughts on if John would be able to get to the point of walking, his response was that if everything goes the way he hopes, he'll walk out of this hospital on his own volition when it's time. I keep being told that this is going to have to be improvements in very small increments, and I keep telling everyone I don't want that because of the work I do -- I usually see faster improvements in lab values and mental status with things I do in my job. But with liver problems/failure/disease/etc., it's a slow battle in tiny steps, otherwise the odds of regressing are greater. I was told tonight that it's much better for the bilirubin to drop slowly instead of rapidly, for example.

I'm off to catch some sleep in order to get back up to the hospital tomorrow to spend time with him. I'll continue to give him as many messages as I can remember. There are definitely shades of John still in there, and I'm hoping tonight will be a good night of sleep so he can be firing on more cylinders tomorrow.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-20-2011, 06:43 PM
7/2/11 a.m.
by Amy on Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 8:09am
A couple of friends (Jeff O. and Kim T.) of mine checked on John throughout the night and let me know this a.m. that he did indeed rest, he's a bit more clear in speech, and that his mentation and memory were a bit better today. Crystal, his nurse and a friend of mine, was telling me that he'd recognized a few more things (i.e. on his ballcap) and was able to explain to her what some pins and the logo stood for (he's wearing his Washington D.C. Nationsals cap).

More positive stuff and I'm hoping even more later tonight when I come home. I'm headed off to the hospital because I'm told that "he's waiting until Amy gets here" so we can address his sips of water issue. lol

by Amy on Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 11:04pm
Just got home from spending a most marvelous day with my sweet man at the hospital. Ok, it wasn't spent playing footsies or marathon Trivial Pursuit/Monopoly games like we used to, but I spent 12 1/2 hours solid at his bedside and he's recognized almost everyone who came into the room. Speech was much clearer, even though he still mutters at times you can tell he *knows* what he wants to say but just can't get it out, memory is there, and sense of humor is waking up. When I walked in this morning, he gave me a big hug, started crying and asked me what the hell happened to him. His next question was, "Am I going to be ok???". I let him know that if I and everyone else in his family/friends network, as well as the doctors, had anything to say about it, then HELL YES. I told him he needed to continue fighting and that has been his motto all day -- "I'm going to fight this", and "No more chaos!".

Of course he tires easily, but he is more able to help the nurses and staff turn and roll around, etc. He also got the ok from Dr. Pittard to have how ever much water/ice chips he wants, and they started him on a clear diet to go along with his temporary feeding tube. To date, he has had 5 entire Popsicles (orange and grape) and when I left he was on his 4th jug of water. The M.D. told me, when I asked him about giving him too much fluid by mouth, that he could easily fix that with dialysis. If the man wants water then give him water! He's also started taking his meds by himself with just a little bit of support since he's a bit shaky. But he's fast becoming a pro.

Overall a positive day. Dr. Pittard's wife was just amazed that his mentation had improved this much in just one day, but she's also quick to remind me that he may have bad days too so not to get discouraged. The fact that John has a game plan to fight this is a huge step.

Keep the prayers and thoughts coming. John has loved knowing that he got TEN cards/letters in one day and told me that "it was about damned time" his Pen Wenches picked up a pen again. We haven't gotten through them all yet but will tomorrow.

I'm off to bed now to get up and start all over again. If nothing else from this, I have learned that I will do anything for that man and if that's to help him beat this -- then bring it.

From John
by Amy on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 2:40pm

John asked that I bring in stationary today so he could dictate notes to each of you. I forgot to do so *head smack*. So today we settled for a note via Facebook while I was here in the ICU on my mom's laptop.
"This is John. I've had another long week in the hospital. I've been out of touch for a very long time. Thank you for the cards and letters, and for the kind messages, thoughts and prayers. I look forward to regaining contact with my old friends, and new ones alike, as I continue to get better. (from Amy: he has been a bit more himself today, taking great pleasure in smacking me with his comb)
Love you all,

John still continues to make small steps forward. Yesterday Dr. Pittard told us he's still fighting strong and has taken one more potential step towards improvement. Again, every day he's alive is another day to fight. Or as the doc says, "While I breathe, I hope." He has taken up the South Carolina state motto in John's fight. In fact, the liver specialist was just here and informed us that he is very pleased with his progress since Friday. John's still a bit confused but that may easily be explained by the steroids they started on him over the weekend since he was a bit more clear mentally late last week. The liver guy was telling us that he's had patients sicker than John and seen them walk out of here. That's huge, y'all. Overall, very good news all around. But it will still be a long struggle to get John back to tip-top shape but he is more than willing to take this on and knows that it's necessary to get healthy and get back to life.

I asked Dr. Mann, the liver guy, about some physical therpay for strengthening and range of motion and that has now been ordered. He was very pleased that John had specifically requested that himself last night. John's talking to my brother on the phone right now and he told him that his doctor had just been by and had 'declared him not dead'. As John would say, Huzzah! He's also been more himself even more so today because he's sassed at me a few times. I love my husband to pieces, but he can sass me with the best of 'em.

That's all for now. I'm about to go ask one of the guys to help me shave him.

July 7th Text message from Amy late afternoon:

"Dr. Mann (the liver Doc) is still pleased with John's progress, He was concerned yesterday because John was a bit out of it. Today he's just bitchy, but lucid. Dialysis is still required but he responds well to it. Liver enzymes are up a bit, but steroids do that [or have that effect]. The doc is more focused on the bilirubin [reducing the jaundice] and inr, which are holding."

by Amy Cunningham Hardy on Friday, July 8, 2011 at 12:26am
Just got home from the hospital after spending the evening with John. He had a visit from Dr. Pittard (kidney guy) a bit ago and he's ordered another round of dialysis tomorrow, for John to be up in the chair 3x a day, and he will slowly be introduced back with a renal diet (low sodium and low potassium). ALL VERY good things. Oh, and the best news -- as long as things go status quo or better, we're looking at being moved to a regular floor soon. Also, I noticed that the kidneys are slowly remembering what they're supposed to be doing because there's been more pee production -- not up to par, but definitely more than has been in over a week.

The biggest upset for John now is the virtual loss of his vision -- probably from the steroids or something they call toxic neuropathy. Both things that Dr. Pittard feels pretty sure will resolve with time. The eye doctor was in today to check things out just to be sure, so a head CAT scan has been ordered for the morning. I told John it was to make sure he still had a brain, and he kinda snarked off at me. :- S

All that to say, yes, we're still not completely out of the woods but we're about 2 steps closer than 2 weeks ago. John does know how sick he is, and despite his frustration and aggravation at the slow progress, he knows that he'll have to put some work in to get back up to speed. But he's willing to do it. "No more chaos!" as he says...

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Update on John: July 12 -- and one on me too
by Amy on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 7:48pm
Sorry for the lengthy delay in updating John's progress. He remains in the ICU where they are keeping an excellent watch over him for me. (and I'm not just saying that because they're my friends and many of them are on FB here) Anyway, over past several days, one medicine has been discontinued and another one titrated down. He's alert and oriented with some minor bouts of confusion, but it seems like he plays possum a lot when Dr. Mann stops by to visit, which I found out lead to a lot of notes written by him in the chart that his mentation had been decreasing. Funny enough, when I go in there, he wakes up and was grouchy, or just ignoring, but doing his best to look around. This all lead to a rather frightening conversation on Saturday afternoon with Dr. Mann, which ultimately lead me to a trip to the ER that night with an anxiety attack and chest pain. There I stayed overnight so I could be watched, have blood drawn, and have a stress test done. Of course, all was negative, and it was actually the big elephant in the room -- stress and my not sleeping properly or eating. So, yay, for Ativan!

Today, Mom went with me to the hospital and when Dr. Mann made rounds, I made a point of staying outside the room and let my mommy handle him. He has a tendency for up-and-down-y ness and seems to wait for me to be alone to give me the downside. Not today, since John had been sitting up in a chair since before 7a.m. and still was when we left around 4pm. Dr. Mann's jaw dropped (although this isn't J's first time in the chair), Mom told me, and he was astounded that he'd been up that long, speaking coherently (with a little bit of muttering), his tremors from the encaphalopathy are greatly improved, AND *drum roll* DR. MANN IS ASTOUNDED WITH HIS URINE OUTPUT!!! Y'all, I'm not stupid and I've been a respiratory therapist for 18 years, but right now, that is my husband in that room and not a patient to me, and I need to hear from this doctor of the steps that he IS making towards improvement. He has now been informed of that by my mommy, and he apologized sincerely for my upset. Mom basically told him that if I end up collapsing again, he's footing the bill.

ANYWAY, Dr. Mann's visit today was very positive, he still believes in little steps, but today was a big step and he's going to continue following the patient NOT the labs entirely. That John would actually carry on a conversation with him today astounded him. Mom kinda got up in John's face the other night and told him to knock the possum shit off and that if he wanted to live that he needed to start acting like it. I swear, it's brought about a drastic change in J's temperament. The charge nurse tonight, a friend of mine, mentioned trying to get him to take a couple steps this evening to get those legs working, so I'm curious as to how that went. In John's transferring from bed to chair and back, he's been doing the standing with a lot of assistance, but the key is....he's been doing it.

ETA to my update on John just published: Re: John's vision, if he concentrates hard enough and fights the steroids, he is able to see some things. Today he was able to tell me exactly what color my shirt was, and pointed out my picture on my name badge. So, it's something to add in the 'win' category for now

July 15: from Amy
Biggest thing today -- John moved out of ICU and is on the renal floor, which is right down the hall from renal dialysis. Had a visit by discharge planning to make arrangements for outpatient dialysis whenever he goes home. Tomorrow, I plan on seriously pushing the PT thing since that seems to have gone by the wayside. The man needs to learn to walk again after laying in bed for 3 weeks! But he did make more sense today for longer periods, got all kissy-face with me, and wanted me to curl up in the chair with him. That, folks, is my husband and I do believe he's fighting some more...

Some labs came down, a good thing, and one is up but I am told that that can be like that. All I'm holding out for is day-by-day so we can move onto week-by-week. That man owes me a trip to Hawaii and I owe him a lifetime of I love yous.

Monday, July 18, 2011 at 10:27am
Hi, all,

Haven't updated in a while, but John is still hanging in there and keeping the nurses and techs on the floor jumping. Kidney output is still not raging so he's still receiving dialysis -- in fact, is there right now -- but they are still slowly working. We've noticed it parallels with his fluid intake by water, ginger ale, and iced tea -- all of which he is in love with right now. He's graduated from popsicles to being head over heels with Italian ices.

As for really eating, he still has a feeding tube so I think that's working against us in getting him to want to eat. The other night I ordered a beef stew and noodle dinner for him and when the plate cover came off, he got a whiff and just about swooned. Said it smelled like heaven (I just looked at him odd since I've eaten at this cafeteria for years), but he took two bites and claimed he was done. So we've tried to graduate each day by one bite.

Dr. Mann saw him on Friday and stated that he still continues to make small steps towards improvement, but apparently he's just doing them in his own time - not on our time clock. Which. Is. Ok. (I swear, I'm still working on the patience thing) All day yesterday John said he wanted to go home, which I truly believe, but I had to get stern with him and tell them that going home was not going to happen if he didn't do what the therapists and nurses are asking to do in therapy and with sitting up in the chair -- AND eating. Now when they ask him if he wants up in the chair, he'll ignore or say no. I told them yesterday that there is no answer "no", he's gotta do it since our goal is to get home. (I feel like I'm getting mean with people I work with, but I can't help it.)

*breathe in, breathe out* They repeatedly tell me that this is going to be a slow process, and believe me, I know that. But I'm waiting for the day when my husband is home and can be himself again....*sigh*

by Amy on Monday, July 18, 2011 at 9:00pm
Dr. Mann and Dr. Pittard both stopped by this afternoon -- both very pleased with his color and mentation. He is more himself for much longer periods now between dialysis treatments. Two weeks ago he'd be himself for about a day or so, and then you could tell he needed dialysis to rid his body of the toxins because he'd be more confused and agitated very easily. But small steps, small steps.

Labs to be drawn tomorrow, and I'm trying hard not to focus on them or stress about them tonight since John is looking and acting more himself this past weekend and today. A very good friend of mine keeps prodding me to forget the numbers and focus on my husband and see what *he* is doing -- it's a better indicator. But Dr. Mann did sound more hopeful today and more willing to look at what we need to do on down the road, although he still advises the "day by day" methodology.

Tonight a 1/2 lb has been lifted from my chest and shoulders, but I won't rest easy until he's back here with me and Micah, and giving my mom grief. I did forget to mention that Mom is down here for the long haul and has been a godsend the past 3 weeks. Keeping me sane, keeping me focused, and letting me cry when I need to. She also reminded me of how large my family/chosen family (aka friends) network truly is because I have never witnessed such an outpouring of love, strength, support and assistance as I have since John got sick. Is it possible that I truly forgot I had friends?? I'm ashamed...

That's the last updates I have gotten. I will try to remember to post updates here too. We do believe all the prayers and good thoughts are helping, keep sending them, PLEASE!!! and Huge Thanks you's as well from all of us who love this man.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
And the very latest update from today even!

by Amy on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 3:53pm

John had P.T. today and did really well. He was able to sit up on the edge of the bed by himself with just a little bit of assistance for about 15 minutes and from there did leg lifts. A lot of stiffness and achiness and he got frustrated, but we kept reminding him this is what it's going to take to get home. Next question was: do you want to get up in a chair? And his answer: yes, cuz my wife is going to make me anyway. heh

Yesterday a.m.'s labwork was roughly the same, although still high in some circumstances (kidney function results still improved as well), but when they called Dr. Mann (we'll call him Dr. Liver this week) he wasn't too concerned because it wasn't a "significant increase at all". John's WBC count is high so we're just waiting for results from blood cultures to find out what's going on. At this point, it could be anything -- stress of being in the hospital, response to steroids, or something as simple as a UTI. Since there's a good amount of leukocytes (WBC) in his urine, I'm betting on the UTI.

John's color is vastly improved, and that is the first thing everyone comments on. His mentation and speech and orientation all continue to improve as well. Today I noticed he had less tremoring in his hands and is able to hold his cup much easier. He lurvessss him some Gold Peak unsweetened iced tea with just a hint of Splenda or Equal. Oh, and his eyesight has improved, per him, some more today as well.

John says, "Out of dialysis, sight slowly improving, same with P.T.". Direct quote from him. Of course he sends his love as well to everyone.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-20-2011, 11:14 PM
One more update for today
Further Update 7/20/11 on John
by Amy at 9:40pm
Both doctors, Liver and Kidney (Mann and Pittard), came by this evening, almost one right after the other. As they each walked in, they told me and Mom that they'd just finished up a mini-conference on "their patient" in the stairwell and both agree that small steps to improvement continue. They each promised me that they're not giving up on him -- it seems that, besides being great guys (despite my nickname of Dr. Doom and Gloom for Liver), that they want to truly be part of John's success story and will continue to work towards that. Dr. Liver sat down beside John to talk to him and asked him to do a couple hand/eye tests -- simple ones to check on the encephalopathy he's had going on -- and it was quite clear that this has improved vastly.

The increased WBC count is almost definitely from a UTI and now it's just a short matter to figure out which antibiotic should be used. Tomorrow, creatinine and BUN (kidney functions) will be checked to find out if dialysis should continue or be stopped. I'll admit -- I freaked out a little bit when Dr. Pittard said it like that, but he was quick to assure me that the only way it was to be discontinued is if his body was not REQUIRING it anymore. It's quite obvious that J responds to it well, but I'm thinking that they're wanting to test him and see what he can do on his own.

The bilirubin that was drawn yesterday, while it sounded like it had remained the same to me, Dr. Liver told me which one in particular that they're looking at (direct bilirubin) and it indeed is "trending down", direct quote from him. Erego John's color improving, although he still remains a tinge yellow. It's just going to be a slow process. His INR (clotting times) are "static", as Liver says, at slightly over 2 (Normal is 1 - 1.5, I think), but he was quick to assure me that they're not treating it since it isn't high enough to and that people on Coumadin or Heparin live in the ranges that J's been running.

John still remains a sick man, both docs are quick to point out, but he is continuing on with slow, small steps at improvement and they're encouraged by that. They're quick to remind me that he is most definitely not out of the woods and this isn't a definite indication that success is assured, but they're pleased that we're headed in this direction and not the other for now. They are both highly pleased with how he physically looks and his mentation and memory skills, though. Again -- it will take looking at the labs to judge how well he is, but in this case it's first and foremost how HE is doing physically and what he is accomplishing in this fight, not necessarily just what the labs are saying.

Last thing -- high 5 to Crissie, J's cousin, for getting him to eat almost a 1/3 cup of soup tonight. It's the most he's eaten in a long time, and he seemed to enjoy it.

So again, please keep sending the good thoughts and the prayers. They are working but there is still a long road to go yet, despite what a long road it has already been. And please send added strength for Amy because I know this is taking it out of her.

07-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Prayers and Candles being lit for strength and getting well for both of you!!

and if this is sent to John..whom I have never met ...Please thank him for starting that dreadful song back up in my head Cool Clear Water...it took me 10 years to get it out!!!

Please Get well you both need each other and we need you both!

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-23-2011, 01:11 AM
new update:
By Amy
on Friday, July 22, 2011 at 6:51pm
Epic fail with P.T. and transferring from the bed to the chair -- his butt partially made it to the chair and he slid to the floor (slowly, since 3 of us were holding onto him). Note: DID NOT FALL, but chose to sit on the floor instead. Dr. Liver was in to see him today, sat down and had a chat with us. He said that his labs haven't changed, which of course is discouraging yet encouraging and he again stressed the time factor and how long it may take. I asked him if his liver had entirely failed and he assured me that if it had, he'd be dead by now. So there is function there (they don't know how much), it's just taking its sweet time coming 'round and healing. I reiterated (threatened, almost) that I am not giving up, neither is John (per his vocal input), and Liver stressed that he is not either. He does see the potential for improvement, so at least we have that.

I also made him repeat the above a couple times just for my OCD self, so I won't go to bed thinking the worst tonight. Mom will tell you I tend to over-read into EVERYTHING -- body language, facial expressions, what time the doctors make rounds, the color tie they're wearing, etc. So imagine my stress when Liver actually sat down beside Mom on the couch to talk to us (granted, this was after discussing the merits of Nooks/Kindles and how much I liked mine -- I was reading a book on my Nook when he came around. Found out he's a Kindle guy and that's what he got his wife for Valentine's Day. So, really, he can't be all that bad of a guy, right?). *ahem* Anyhoo, he had just had a long day and wanted to take a load off. Ha... John told him to make himself at home...*headdesk*

That's all for now. Liver is not on-call this wknd and told me who was (this one's a good guy too, I've worked with him before). He actually asked me if there was anything I wanted Dr. Chaudry (wknd dude) to do for me or anything in particular when he rounds this wknd to help ease my stress and fear. I asked for a Dilaudid PCA pump -- for ME -- but no go, damnit.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-23-2011, 10:35 PM
We are begging all of you to send prayers, healing thoughts, light candles, everything you have tonight for John Broadfoot. He has taken a sudden turn for the worse tonight and things are touch and go right now. There is a limit to how much a body can take, but maybe prayers can help him take a little bit more His family and friends thank you.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
It breaks my heart to announce this but this world has lost a most amazing and much loved Rogue. John Broadfoot passed away last night at 1:10 am eastern time. He is with his best friend again, as much as we wish he wasn't.

Please continue to send your prayers and strength for his wife, Amy, as she will need them to help her through this. For those who know the family, condolence messages are wonderful and appreciated but please allow them the space and time needed to deal with all of this.

At this time no arrangements have been made, but I promise to update everyone here with the information as soon as I know.

Please light a candle and send him off with light and love.

Thank you for all the prayers and support of the past few weeks. It has meant more than words can say.