PDA

View Full Version : Pa Renn Faire: "Disappointingly offensive...not for kids!"

DoņaNina
09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
So I found this review on Google for PARF.. and I dunno about you, but I thought it was a little funny. Not that I'd consider real vulgarity in front of children to be funny (and I admit, some women tend to overdo it a bit in the costume department..), but I don't think I've ever seen anything at PARF to be so offensive that it would destroy a child's brain. Just my opinion.

Anyway, here it is!

Disappointingly offensive...not for kids! The Faire grounds and the performers were very authentic. What would have otherwise been an enjoyable (albeit pricey) experience, though, was continually marred by off-color humor, sexual innuendo or blatant sexual references, and the sight of many incecently-clad females whose outfits were revealing beyond what I'd consider to be in line with period costume. My 10-year-old and 8-year old sons did enjoy the jousting, rides and some of the shows. The need for surveillance and diverting their attention from the indecency and crude "entertainment", however, was an all-day parental pre-occupation that made us all uncomfortable. Elements of the finale (a female dancer with a dress that opened way down the center to expose a wide expanse of cleavage, and a very tasteless pirate routine) was so offensive that we left early. Sorry to say that we won't be returning to the RenFaire... we may as well have tuned into a "Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami" marathon and saved the money.

I love the fact that she compared PARF to a Kardashian show!

RaevynCait
09-30-2011, 03:11 PM
SERIOUSLY???? She'd best leave TRF off her list of places to take the kiddies, what with the amount of chainmaille bikinis that are roaming the grounds, especially on women who absolutely should NOT have invested in them.

If she wants a purely "kid-friendly", non-offensive family entertainment opportunity, take the kids to the nearest Disney theme park or the local science & history museum!

No event will ever please everybody all the time, but I'm much more comfortable with the kids that I take to faire running about at faire than I would be at a modern amusement park!

Phoenix McHeit
09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
From what year was her 'review' ?

Guess What Lady - if your kids get our jokes, we're not the ones who raised 'em.

And if your pweshus babies have a gander at some cleavage at a faire - at least there it's real and not pixellated.

"...beyond what I'd consider in line with period costume..." And in which time period was your concentration of study for your Major in Fashions, pray tell?

Harumph I say. BEGONE, VILE CREATURE, AND BESMIRCH OUR FAIR SHIRE NO MORE!!!!!!!!

lavender r dragon
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
there are actually a fair number of bad reviews on google - most focus on the price, which i've found in the past to be a barrier too.:unamused:
I mean i'd love to bring my rogue & the rogues in training - i'd even skip a day of MDRF - but the drive up there + tickets (which are like twice the cost of MDRF) + food....you see where that's going.......

there are some good reviews...and someone did post that "yes there are risque shows, but they're labeled, if you don't like that, don't go."

From what year was her 'review' ?

Sept, 2011

MaidenFaeSnow
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
The food prices really aren't bad and if you let a local 9 person know you are coming, they would likely pick up some return to faire passes for you which are only $15 each.

there are actually a fair number of bad reviews on google - most focus on the price, which i've found in the past to be a barrier too.:unamused:
I mean i'd love to bring my rogue & the rogues in training - i'd even skip a day of MDRF - but the drive up there + tickets (which are like twice the cost of MDRF) + food....you see where that's going.......

there are some good reviews...and someone did post that "yes there are risque shows, but they're labeled, if you don't like that, don't go."

Sept, 2011

DoņaNina
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
The food prices really aren't bad and if you let a local 9 person know you are coming, they would likely pick up some return to faire passes for you which are only $15 each.

Oh reeeeeaaaaaaally?

Artos O'Dalriada
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I actually found the review in question, from Sept 20, 2010. My first thought was, wait, what? Is this 1699 in a Puritan colony? Did a Mennonite wander in from the surrounding Amish countryside? ah, sadly no. Most likely just a fanatical uber-conservative leaning so far to the right that he or she could be a supporting strut on the wall... probably complains about cheerleader uniforms too. and all the scantily clad women in commercials. oh wait, tv is evil and not allowed in their house. Just books. with no pictures. and no naughty words.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I used to get comments from some more.. religious? people who used to say they thought it was a sin my wearing so little clothing and how could I do that in good conscience. I usually replied with the fact that overall I was wearing more clothes than they were and nothing illegal was being shown. (I mean generally we highlight the cleavage but it isn't like the nipples are showing) Some people are just easily offended by or made very uncomfortable by these things. Some days I wonder if they don't get so upset because they secretly want to do or dress that way too so they feel like they are being.. sinful? so rather than admit it, they blame us. ahh well just my 2 pence

DoņaNina
10-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Some days I wonder if they don't get so upset because they secretly want to do or dress that way too so they feel like they are being.. sinful? so rather than admit it, they blame us. ahh well just my 2 pence

I'm gonna go ahead and say you're probably right. And yanno what? Even if you're not, it amuses me to imagine some uptight lady sighing wistfully at that lovely steel-boned corset in the window.

PixieStyx
10-11-2011, 07:51 PM

We were at PARF last weekend and I was complaining about the cost of tickets until my SO pointed out that, since parking was free, PARF costs about the same as OHRF and it's bigger and a million times better! I didn't think the food was that expensive. In fact, I was stunned at the slab of brownie that only cost $3.

I think people who bitch about how expensive it is would bitch anyway, even if it was free. If they'd stop and think about all the entertainment that's located in that one spot, maybe they'd realize they're really getting a good deal. How many places can you go and see five different bands, acrobats, jousting, ride an elephant, eat a fudge-covered apple or anything you can think of on a stick, AND get free parking? Not too many.

Phoenix McHeit
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
We were at PARF last weekend and I was complaining about the cost of tickets until my SO pointed out that, since parking was free, PARF costs about the same as OHRF and it's bigger and a million times better! I didn't think the food was that expensive. In fact, I was stunned at the slab of brownie that only cost $3.

I think people who bitch about how expensive it is would bitch anyway, even if it was free. If they'd stop and think about all the entertainment that's located in that one spot, maybe they'd realize they're really getting a good deal. How many places can you go and see five different bands, acrobats, jousting, ride an elephant, eat a fudge-covered apple or anything you can think of on a stick, AND get free parking? Not too many.

::bighug:: Thank you for that. We do have the highest gate price on the East Coast. It gets a bit hard to always hear the bashing. We do try to have a varied schedule of entertainment. Thanks for your perspective!

lavender r dragon
10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
we're more clothed than almost anyone at any beach or pool :wink:

@ Phoenix - i don't mean to bash your faire. :sorry:
It is a lovely faire and i have always enjoyed my visits! :) and i'd love to make a trip with my rogue but time & money haven't allowed yet. :/

but it is almost twice the price of every other faire i've been to (MDRF/CRF/GARF/VARF): tickets + food and then multiply it by 4 people and add gas and so forth, those of us on a tight family budget have to budget it out....

PixieStyx
10-14-2011, 05:16 AM
but it is almost twice the price of every other faire i've been to (MDRF/CRF/GARF/VARF): tickets + food and then multiply it by 4 people and add gas and so forth, those of us on a tight family budget have to budget it out....

Maybe you could *cough* ditch the kids for the day. Send 'em to granny's house or something and you and the hubster can have a date!

Phoenix McHeit
10-14-2011, 09:01 AM
@ Phoenix - i don't mean to bash your faire. :sorry:
It is a lovely faire and i have always enjoyed my visits! :) and i'd love to make a trip with my rogue but time & money haven't allowed yet. :/

Not to worry sweetie, I didn't mean you. Stating something is expensive is not the same as bashing something for the fact. ::bighug::

It's true, we ARE fargin' expensive. But if you let someone know you're coming we can pick up Return Pass tickets for $15 each. It's a help, at least.

MaidenFaeSnow
10-14-2011, 09:26 AM
not to mention that PARF has a sense of community, in that no matter who you are - a long time PARF'er or a wench/rogue coming to PARF for the first time - you will be welcomed and treated like family. You won't be gaffed off as many have experienced at some other faires.

DoņaNina
10-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I tell ya what, we LOVE PARF. We make the drive up from MD because it's bigger and has good beer and great food.

My only whine is that this year's Oktoberfest didn't have any live German bands, and the weather was horrible (not that you can blame the weather on the faire.. hehe). So next year, I hope they get those bands back! They really did set PARF apart from all the other cheesy Oktoberfest parties.

PixieStyx
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
not to mention that PARF has a sense of community, in that no matter who you are - a long time PARF'er or a wench/rogue coming to PARF for the first time - you will be welcomed and treated like family. You won't be gaffed off as many have experienced at some other faires.

I can attest to this. Betty welcomed me with a hug and Phoenix chatted with me for a while. It was a warmer welcome than I, in general, received from my home Local.

The one thing I thought was interesting was that it seemed that fewer people dressed in garb than at other faires I've attended. Not sure if that's due to sheer numbers or a difference in attitude in Pa. *shrugs* As long as I can get my wench on, I say "to each his own"!

MaidenFaeSnow
10-15-2011, 08:18 AM
normally that isn't the case. Seems sometimes there are off weekends when not as many playtrons are around.

Triskel
10-20-2011, 01:06 AM
What I find extremely funny is that at PARF we are considered the 'Disney' of Ren Faires. I wonder if the reviewer was confused. Mayhap she is talking about Pittsburg Faire?

Non the less, I have been talking with people from different faires and they are shocked how Disney we are in comparision.::devilmaycry::